Profile for DJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DJ RSS Feed (Evington, Vatican City State (Holy See))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Manic Panic - Rock N Roll Red Hair Dye, 4 fl oz
Manic Panic - Rock N Roll Red Hair Dye, 4 fl oz
Offered by MetaRetail
Price: $10.50
12 used & new from $10.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the color :) Vibrant pinkish-red on previously dyed copper red hair!, December 31, 2014
So for some reason I never took a picture of my hair when I dyed it with this, otherwise I'd add it. I had originally dyed my hair copper red with John Frieda's Deep Copper Canyon dye. That stuff was pretty rough on my hair though, so I decided to try using this over top of it for something more vibrant yet not damaging. Normally you're supposed to bleach first, but I didn't want anything quite as extreme as this over bleach blonde hair, so I figured the damage from just having dyed it would let the dye absorb enough for it to stick around for a while, and it definitely did. It was still pretty vibrant (though definitely faded quite a bit) a month later when I colored my hair with a permanent dye. Also, I have longish hair and it's pretty thick (my hair length is about down to my bra clasp in the back) and I used one entire 4oz jar. I don't really think you'd need more than that unless you have really long hair or unless your hair is really damaged and will absorb more of the dye. The color is vibrant and it came out as a kind of pinkish red (everything that this stained turned pink, so it's not hard to see why). When I first did it, I thought my hair looked more like a dark magenta than red, but everyone else said it was red, so I trust their judgment. Also, for those who work in a business environment, I got a lot of comments on how vibrant my hair was (comparisons to Ariel were common), but it wasn't too crazy, though I guess that could depend on how conservative your office environment is. I work at a conservative Christian school, but it's still a university, so my hair was pretty tame compared to the students who have pink and blue hair. I just wish they allowed that of their employees :(

A few warnings though:
1. It bleeds a lot. You should use an old pillowcase when sleeping and old towels when drying your hair. Also, I recommend even wearing an old t-shirt or something when letting it air dry at least after the first few washings because it did stain one of my old hoodies a bit where it dried (if your hair's short though you probably don't need to worry about it).
2. It stains your skin. Definitely use vaseline or something if you're worried about that, but it does wash off after a few days.
3. It's not so good on virgin hair. I had about 3/4" of roots when I died and while at first it stained the roots fairly well, after maybe a week or two they were pretty much completely back to the natural color. Not a big deal for me, but I would NOT recommend using this dye on virgin hair and expect it to stick around for very long. It might depend on your hair type though, so others could have better results than me (my natural hair is golden brown and thick).

Ultimately I decided not to keep using the dye just because it would be too much hassle to have to keep coloring my roots with a permanent color and then using this over top of it and I don't want to mess with full on bleaching my hair at the moment (plus I have a feeling if I bleached it, I'd wind up needing to go with vampire red or something to get away with it at work). I rated it 5 stars though because it does what it says and it's a good vibrant color. I wound up going with Ion creme in 7IR which on my hair was roughly the same shade as a more faded (yet still vibrant red) version of this, so it was a good compromise. Plus I like that with the permanent color I don't really have to worry about all the bleeding except after the first wash or two. This color was still bleeding after one month (on that note though, washing with Johnson's baby shampoo really helps get a lot of the color out if anyone needs help removing this color to dye with something else).

Confessions of a Murder Suspect
Confessions of a Murder Suspect
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting read!, December 31, 2014
I just finished this book, and I have to say it was a lot of fun to read. Mystery is probably my favorite genre as far as genres go, but I didn't necessarily expect a lot from this. I have never read James Patterson. For some reason I always thought he was more thriller than mystery. I thought most of the twists in the book were fairly unexpected, though I will admit that when I read this I was dead tired and mostly looking for something fun that I didn't have to think a lot about. This is definitely that (in a good way). It keeps you guessing, and I didn't guess the ending, but after finishing it, it did seem like I should have at least suspected that ending (though it's by no means the expected or cliche ending). The characters (at least the Angel children characters) are all pretty likable. I agree with some others that detective Caputo was a jerk and almost too mean to be believable, but I think the authors did a good job of keeping him from becoming so obnoxious you want to quit reading, though I was disappointed he never really got what was coming to him (in my opinion). The book is kind of a modern-day Nancy Drew in some ways, but not so formulaic.

In any case, I'm really excited to read the next book, and I had a lot of fun with this one. It definitely leaves quite a bit open at the end. It resolves the main mystery, but there's other stuff that won't be resolved until the sequel, so if that's something you don't like, then you might want to keep that in mind before reading this.

Minnetonka Women's Front Lace Knee-Hi Boot,Brown,8 M US
Minnetonka Women's Front Lace Knee-Hi Boot,Brown,8 M US
Price: $67.46
21 used & new from $67.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, October 10, 2014
These boots are fantastic. They're comfortable and fashionable. I wound up also purchasing them in the black, which I feel like goes with my wardrobe (which is primarily black) better. I love the brown color though because it's very autumn-y. They're easy to adjust, so if you have larger calves I feel like these would be a good option for knee-high boots. I used to be much heavier and had really big calves so that I could NEVER find ANY boots to fit, which really sucks so I wish I had bought these earlier. Currently my calves are just over 14" around at the widest point and I wear a size 8 and the fringe on the top almost touches when I tie them tightly, so there's plenty of extra room. This is also helpful if you want to wear them with jeans or thick socks. I tend to wear them with skinny jeans, leggings, skirts, pretty much anything. I think they'd even look good with shorts, but I haven't yet had a chance to wear them with shorts. Also, sometimes I like to wear them loose and not tied and it gives them a nice slouchy look.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch)
Price: $31.99
13 used & new from $25.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you have the paperwhite, October 10, 2014
I've used this on my kindle since I bought it last year. I love that it's not too bulky. It's nice to be able to close it and have it automatically turn off the kindle. It also stays closed even when I'm tossing it into my large bag where it gets jostled around, so it keeps the kindle's screen nice and scratch-free. The leather is great and doesn't seem to get stained or scratched easily. I've been keeping it in my bag with a bunch of other stuff and it still looks nice and new. I do have the black though, so I'm not sure if lighter colors would stain easily from dirt and whatnot. Personally I like that the black blends in with the kindle. I wavered between this and the purple color for a while, but I feel like a brighter color around the edges of the kindle would bug me. Anyway, it's worth the price, which is what I was most worried about because I typically don't like cases for my electronics.

Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DTSE9H/64GBET)
Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DTSE9H/64GBET)
Price: $24.95
5 used & new from $23.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking flash drive :), October 10, 2014
This is a really great flash drive. For the price, you get a ton of storage. I liked to keep it on a keychain I use at work so I can easily save stuff bc I switch between computers frequently. When you're using it in a regular desktop computer, it's fine and doesn't get hot even if you leave it in for a while. I have noticed though when I put it into my macbook or into one of the Surface Pros we use at work it tends to heat up. I just transfer the files to the desktop and work on it that way and then transfer them back to the USB when I'm finished so that I don't have to leave it plugged in the whole time when that happens.

Anyway, the best part is how it looks. It's tiny and a nice stainless steel that doesn't seem to scratch up too much or anything. I love that it doesn't have a cap so I don't need to worry about it getting lost. I haven't had any problem with stuff getting stuck in it or anything and I just shove it in my bag with everything else at the end of the day.

Les Mills Combat DVD Workout
Les Mills Combat DVD Workout
Offered by Beachbody
Price: $74.80
2 used & new from $68.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic workout!!, October 10, 2014
This review is from: Les Mills Combat DVD Workout (DVD)
I love these workouts. I got them used, not from amazon, so mine didn't come with the extra calendar/eating guide/whatever, just the dvds, but I found them online. However, I still haven't been following the calendar with this. Instead I incorporate the kickboxing videos into my regular workout routine which involves running and pilates/strength training stuff (I average 5 days a week for workouts and I'm in pretty good shape, just so you know where I'm coming from). I did want to write a review though because I've read a lot of people's comments saying that the workouts aren't hard enough or whatever. I feel like kickboxing (and really any body-weight only type workout) tends to be one of those things where you can either go all out and get a great workout OR you can kind of halfway do it and not get a good workout. When you run or lift weights or something similar you can still get a worse workout if you don't go all out, but at the end of the day if you dead lift 200lbs, you've dead lifted 200lbs even if you weren't really into it. With kickboxing though it's super easy to just throw the punches without much force behind it and just rely on your momentum rather than really putting your muscle into it. I've done that myself a few times when I'm not really into it, which is why I really like these workouts because the trainers' attitudes are just what I need to get really into the workout. I also love the music (actual good rock songs instead of the crappy voice-less techno stuff a lot of fitness dvds use). There's options to do the workout with the music pumped up or softer so you can hear their directions better.

All of the dvds are fantastic, but like I said bc I do other workouts I wind up using the 45 minute power kata the most. The 30 minute one is great too. After 30 minutes I'm sweaty and tired and feel like I actually got a good workout so it's great for days when I just don't have time. Personally, I like that the trainers have fun and occasionally sing with the music or whatever. I think it's because I have the same personality, so if you're not into that kind of thing you might want to see if you can find part of the workout online to see if you like it before purchasing. Also, there's an entire dvd that shows how to do the different moves, which is awesome and I recommend watching it if you've never done kickboxing before. I have done kickboxing before these though, so I can't really speak to how a first-timer would feel trying these workouts.

One last thing, if you're into kickboxing and you want more than just these or you don't feel like these workouts are for you, I also highly recommend Ilaria Montagnani. She has a ton of kickboxing dvds that range from 45-60 minutes and they're pretty awesome too. When I started kickboxing, I did her dvds and she usually has an instruction portion followed by the actual workout, which tends to be a bit more repetition heavy (but not easier) and good for people starting out. (Then again, if you can afford it actual martial arts classes might be even better, but I have zero dollars so I've not yet been able to take classes.)

Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner 16.9 Fl Oz,
Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner 16.9 Fl Oz,
Price: $4.97
14 used & new from $4.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, October 3, 2014
I really wanted to like this because I've been looking for something to use between shampoos when I need to actually wash/rinse my hair but don't want to use shampoo. Unfortunately this stuff didn't work for me. I have thick, dry hair and figured this would be perfect, but while the ends of my hair were fine, it made the roots of my hair extremely flat. Like stuck to my head flat. And even using hairspray and teasing it didn't do much to fix it. The second time I used it I even used less than before, thinking that maybe I used too much, and kept it off my roots, but my hair was still flat. It's pretty cheap though and smells good, so I recommend trying it if you're looking for a cleansing conditioner. Also you get a lot in one bottle.

LG Optimus F3 Black (Virgin Mobile)
LG Optimus F3 Black (Virgin Mobile)
Offered by noTax Wholesale
Price: $60.98
119 used & new from $24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Beginning to get really annoying, June 12, 2014
So at first when I bought this phone (last Black Friday) I loved it. It was pretty fast and a definite upgrade from the Optimus Elite, which I had before. However, the problem with this one is that it's impossible to move apps to the sd card, at least without rooting the phone. This might be a virgin mobile specific thing because I've read reviews from others with the F3, but on mine you definitely cannot move apps to sd. You can move pics/videos/music/etc. to sd, but the apps can't be moved. Also it's gotten really laggy and glitchy whereas when I first got it it was fast and responsive. I'm hoping the lag is due to the space issues. I've uninstalled all the apps I don't need and I clear the cache for all my apps pretty much right after using them (pinterest and tumblr take up huge amounts of space b/c of the cache if you don't clear them right away). I'm hoping to root the phone to see if transferring the apps to the sd that way takes care of the problems, but if not I'll be buying a new phone. It sucks though because I had the elite for about 2 years and was hoping this one would last as long. The way things are going I'll probably throw the phone off the nearest tall building before I even get to one year though.

(BTW, I wanted to mention that virgin mobile itself is an awesome phone company. Their service is pretty great, customer service is okay, about as good as any cell phone company, and the cost is wonderful. I love only paying $35/month.)

BOOTS Botanics Age Defense Replenishing Night Cream
BOOTS Botanics Age Defense Replenishing Night Cream
Offered by The Eclectic Shopper
Price: $22.49
4 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it :), February 13, 2014
This stuff is really great. I have to use natural products, especially on my face because otherwise my skin tends to freak out. After switching to using this at night, I was worried I'd breakout a bit, which normally happens when I switch products, but I didn't notice much of anything, so that's great. As far as how well it works, I noticed a change pretty quickly with the few minor wrinkles on my forehead and around my lips. I'm only 25, so they weren't really that noticeable, but I wanted something that would help prevent any wrinkles from getting worse, and this seems to be doing the trick (and then some). I love the thickness of the cream too. I have super dry skin and this stuff really seems to moisturize well. It can be a bit greasy afterward, but since I use it at night, it's not a big deal. I actually like the smell, but it is somewhat strong. Honestly when I first put it on, it smelled like some sort of shampoo or conditioner that I used to use. The other great thing is the price. Compared to other wrinkle creams, this stuff is pretty cheap and it works, so even better.

Nightlife (Cal Leandros Book 1)
Nightlife (Cal Leandros Book 1)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book!, January 14, 2014
I actually found this book because I was looking for stuff similar to the TV show Supernatural, which I've been in love with since season 1. I've tried a lot of different supernatural style books, but most are either super caught up in the whole love triangle thing or just crappy. This book, like others have said, has a lot of similarities to Supernatural initially, but it's quite different by the end. The basic premise though, two brothers, one fighting to save the other, is similar enough that if it weren't for the fact that this came out around the same time as Supernatural season 1 I'd have though one was based on the other.

Anyway, It's a fantastic book. The supernatural side of things is familiar, yet unique, with a bit of a literary twist -- Puck, Grendels, etc. I love that the novel focuses on the two brothers and their relationship. It does have a couple of potential romantic interests, but neither is really acted on much at all, which is a nice break from most supernatural books. I get tired of having to read over and over about how in love so and so is with someone else. Also, I like that it's narrated by a guy. I'm a girl, but I have a hard time finding female narrators that don't eventually get to be a bit grating with all the self-deprecation and naiveté that most authors seem to think all young women possess. I love that Cal is sarcastic and witty, lazy, and at times both confident and unsure of himself.

There's some roughness, and I give it five stars because I loved reading it, not because I think it's of the same quality as say Shakespeare or something. Overall though the writing is good, and I really recommend it (especially for any fellow SPN fans because you'll really see a lot of Sam and Dean's relationship in Cal and Niko's relationship). I will say one thing that I didn't necessarily love (at least initially) was a shift in voice that happens about 2/3rds of the way through the novel. Without giving anything away, it makes sense as to why it happens, but it is a bit jarring at least initially.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5