Profile for W. M. McLaughlin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. M. McLaughlin "Constant Reader" RSS Feed (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Franklin Spanish - English Speaking / Talking Merriam-Webster Pocket-Sized Electronic Dictionary / Translator / Phonetic Spell Corrector with Over 5,000,000 Total Translations, 4,800 Phrases, Grammar Guides & Verb Conjugations - Batteries Included

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a translator, my wife is an interpreter .. . and loves it!, June 9, 2012
My wife is an interpreter for a county school system. Translators don't work real time. They take a document in one language, use all the aids they want, and write their product in another language. My wife interprets, that is she listens to a conversation in one language and immediately repeats what is said in the other language.

This unit is a significant upgrade over one I got her several years ago. She is NOT a gadget person, she finally got around to getting a cordless phone a few months ago; we have no TV, no Hi-Fi,and I have the only computer in the house.

She frequently works with troubled families who have surfaced in the school system because of many different problems. The school system relies on her to the point if she is not available at a proposed time and date, they will change the appointment.

She really likes the new unit . . . AND, batteries came with it! But I got her some spares, and showed her how to change them.

Leatherman 931014 40-Bit Assortment for Leatherman Bit Drivers
Leatherman 931014 40-Bit Assortment for Leatherman Bit Drivers
Price: $15.00
45 used & new from $11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Need specific holster for use with bit assortment., March 18, 2012
Just ordered, and received, the 931014-40 bit assortment. Also ordered and received new sheath to accommodate both my Surge and the new bit set. BE CAREFUL! Not all sheaths will work with the tool/bit set combination.

IF you want to have a SURGE tool and the bit set on your belt, I recommend you get the Premium, 4.5", sheath; Leatherman part 931017.

Do not order the Standard 4.5" Sheath, Leatherman part 931016. That sheath and the SURGE tool and the bit set, like some people we all know, just don't work well together. I could not make it work with the sheath on my belt. Could make it work by removing the sheath from my belt, fiddling it all together, and then putting it back on my belt.

I suspect the same is true for other tool/bit set/sheath combinations.

If I'm not going to keep it on my belt, I don't need a holster or a sheath . . . I would need a toolbox. Already have a bunch of them, but just can't seem to walk or drive with a toolbox on my belt.

Run to the Lee (Maryland Paperback Bookshelf)
Run to the Lee (Maryland Paperback Bookshelf)
by Kenneth F. Brooks
Price: $27.00
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Run to ... get a copy, February 29, 2012
Have to modify my review! I have just (1 March 2012) received the copy I ordered. Envelope hand written, postage stamps all over the place ... but product inside in PERFECT condition! Amazon won't let me rate seller yet, too early! So, read on with this pre- or re- review, knowing I have a like-new, perfect, copy in hand, ready to send to the son who took us sailing, and then on to the rest of our gang.

I just ordered a copy, but I read it last week. While I'm retired from the Navy, I'm not very salty . . . except through the books I've read, and a couple of adventures on relatively modern (US Navy) ships. I've canoed a little, kayaked even less, and been on the water in a sailboat only once or twice.

But, I loved this book. The copy I read was in a home on Virginia's Eastern Shore last week. The home was an old place, but in excellent condition, and it was just a mile back from the Chesapeake Bay. Between the environment where we (me & wife) stayed, and my vacation mood, and the author's wonderful words, the book just grabbed me. I almost read it straight through, but had to get some sleep between the halves of the book.

The book is centered on the old days of commercial cargo shipping by sail, within the Chesapeake Bay. Although my mother had taken steamers from Norfolk to Baltimore and back in the 1920s, it never dawned on me that commercial cargoes moved around the Bay, under sail, in all kinds of weather.

The author remedied that. He puts a young man, a boy actually, "at sea," under sail, in all kinds of weather, in the commercial environment of obtaining and delivering your cargo . . . or lose your job, lose your ship, and maybe lose your life, too. His book grabbed me so hard that I could not talk about it with my wife without choking up.

I ordered the copy so I could read it again, and share it with my children and grandchildren. One of those children has taken me and his mother out on the Bay in his own sailboat, so he and his family will get it first . . . after I read it again.

Yes, I did buy a copy from Amazon!

Dirt Devil Ultra Corded Bagged Handheld Vacuum, M08230RED
Dirt Devil Ultra Corded Bagged Handheld Vacuum, M08230RED
Price: $36.61
31 used & new from $20.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Have had one for years, it is great!, February 5, 2012
We've lived in this house for > 20 years. Brought the Dirt Devil with us from the old house. Don't remember where or when we bought it. I save it for vacuuming under car seats, behind or under heavy furniture. It is indeed LOUD! When vacuuming in a confined space (closet, car) I have put in my shooter's ear plugs once or twice, but usually don't bother. We have a good, big, heavy Sears upright for most of the house, use the Dirt Devil where the big one's hose just won't go.

Best proof of my opinion of it is that I just ordered 10 bags & a belt from Amazon. Could not find any stores in our Shenandoah Valley (of Virginia) area that stock parts. Don't remember ever replacing a belt on it, ordered the new belt "Just in case"

All of our kids are adults, and so are two out of five grandchildren. Strongly recommend NOT letting small children handle it. I am not sure that the open head of the vacuum is safe for little fingers.

If this one got lost, strayed, or stolen, would I buy a replacement? YES, and from Amazon too, with no sources in our regular shopping area . . . as the price of gas goes up, so does my inclination to mail-order stuff instead of driving to a store.

the Next EXIT 2012 (Next Exit: The Most Complete Interstate Highway Guide Ever Printed)
by Mark Watson
25 used & new from $1.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is the next . . . ?, January 26, 2012
[[ASIN:098469210X the Next EXIT 2012] I pre-ordered this 2012 edition from Amazon back in 2011, and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. Have not hit the road with it yet (will, in a couple more weeks), but have arm-chair reviewed it against what I know about interstates that I use frequently. For my local/most used exit, it was right on the money . . . except for still listing one restaurant that went belly-up recently, clearly due to the poor economy and reduced traveler visits. That happened late in 2011, I expect it will be corrected in the 2013 issue.

Physically, the book is just about 1/8" smaller than 8-1/2 X 11 inches, and about 1/2" thick. Anything that will carry a half inch stack of standard 8-1/2" x 11" copy paper will hold the book. The paper is about the same quality as an ordinary city telephone book. The pages are thick enough that the next or previous page does not show through. The type is fairly small, but adequate for a passenger (A passenger is a person who is NOT driving) to look up & understand stuff. If you are alone in your car or truck, for crying out loud, pull off at some safe spot!

It takes a little study to figure out how the book is organized before you actually use it during a trip. I suggest you think of a stretch of Interstate that you know well, look it up in the book, check your travel direction, and see what it tells you about that well known stretch. Find a restaurant, a filling station, a hospital, a park, etc. Remember, if it is NOT on an Interstate, it won't be in the book! It shows handicap accessible facilities very nicely.

My bottom line is that I suspect I will be getting a new one each year, as long as my wife and I are hitting the Interstates to see friends, family, and places.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2012 2:45 PM PDT

Travelon RFID Blocking Passport Case, Black, One Size
Travelon RFID Blocking Passport Case, Black, One Size
Price: $14.48
19 used & new from $9.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Travel Back to Travelon., January 26, 2012
Travelon RFID Blocking Passport CaseThank heaven for Amazon's excellent return policy. My "Travelon RFID Blocking Passport Case" arrived yesterday, and is going back tomorrow.

The primary problem is that it is too small to fit my brand new passport. It is just a bit too small. Just a bit means it doesn't fit one bit. . . or byte.

Another problem, is that you can't tell where the RFID blocking materials are. This is not unique with Travelon, several other cases aren't a bit more user-friendly. The manufacturers should state where your passport goes in amongst the various slots and pockets and layers of the purportedly RFID resistant case. Don't say that that would let the bad guys and gals know . . . so what? If they can beat your RFID, they have to already know more about the subject than you or I do. At least put us on a level playing field, Amazon Customers vs. Electronic baddies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 7:06 PM PST

Leatherman 830160 Surge Pocket Multitool with Nylon/Leather Sheath
Leatherman 830160 Surge Pocket Multitool with Nylon/Leather Sheath
Price: $99.85
50 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Surge leather sheath, December 29, 2011
Not qualified to judge the tools any better than the earlier reviews. I have a photo, mid-1970s, shows me over at my in-laws house, dressed up a bit, but no coat, wearing my first Leatherman on my right hip. (We were building a cabin at the time - did all the electrical work with that 1st Leatherman.)

I still carry, but it is a Surge now in a leather sheath. I don't like the look of the fabric sheaths. As long as I put the small end in the sheath first, the tool goes in and comes out with no problem. I have no trouble opening case or snapping it shut.

The leather sheath has worn some at the edges, which looked ugly. So, I took a well known black marker and touched up the edges . . . Bingo! Looks like new. Did the touch-up before Thanksgiving, wear the tool every day, case still looks brand new.

Used the tool this evening for cutting colored tapes to make labels for the jungle of wires hiding behind, beside, below, and be-darned around this mess of a computer workstation. Time to go put my other tools away, and put the Leatherman on the pants I'll wear tomorrow.

Joby Gorillatorch Flare Adjustable and Flexible Tripod Flashlight
Joby Gorillatorch Flare Adjustable and Flexible Tripod Flashlight
Offered by mystuff630
Price: $22.99
38 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Most used flashlight in the house, October 19, 2011
A son gave me this for my birthday a couple of years ago. He knows I love gadgets. I thought it was neat, tried it a couple of times, and put it on the headboard. Now it has become the most used flashlight in the house - and flashlights are my favorite gadgets!

Why? Well, I'm an old geezer, and I get up a lot in the night ... to track down an unfamiliar noise, or, most frequently, to visit the bathroom. I don't like to turn on the house lighting, it ruins my night vision, and draws outside attention to any lit window.

I just turn on the steady red beam, do whatever has to be done, make my way back to the bed, and back to sleep. The wife is not bothered, the dog just yawns, and nobody tries to look IN a window.

It also goes on trips to help find the way around hotel rooms, and locate stuff in the car after dark.

The only problem is that the batteries last so long it is boring.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2013 9:06 PM PDT

Timex Men's T49698 Analog Stainless Steel Rubber Strap Expedition Watch
Timex Men's T49698 Analog Stainless Steel Rubber Strap Expedition Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars It is not digital, April 12, 2011
Received my Timex on time, and well packaged. As I expected.

This is the first conventional (traditional?) wristwatch I have had in some years. It was a deliberate choice. Although I have had digital watches for years, I chose a conventional watch when I needed to replace a damaged digital watch. Frankly, the tiny buttons and button-based code sequences to use or adjust digital watches have become too tiny and too picky for my eyes to see clearly and my fingers to push accurately.

I could have gone to a Wal-Mart or a dozen other over-the-counter sources, but I wanted a larger variety to select from than was possible with local brick-and-mortar sources.

It just came today, so this is all about initial impressions. I'll update in a couple of weeks.

The Amazon packing was excellent. The watch (Timex) package was clearly designed to compete with other brands in a brick-and-mortar environment. It was overkill, and a PITA to open. The instruction sheet squashed neatly inside was printed in 2 point eye-strain agate, in multiple languages, and covered multiple versions of the same "analog" family of Timex watches. I hate it when you have to hold a magnifying glass, sleazy paper instructions, and the gadget you just paid for, all at the same time.

That said, the watch looks nice. The rubber wrist band is well thought out, and has an interesting method of keeping the tip of the band tight against the other part of the band.

Setting the watch was fairly easy, once you got used to this watch not having a dozen higher priced options that were not on this model. I kept trying to do something that applied to somebody else's watch, not mine.

The "glow" works fine, maybe a bit too fine. I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist. The "button" to turn the light on is the same one you use to set the watch. That would be no problem for most folks, but not for me. If I turn my hand way down, the flesh of my thumb-palm-little-finger can press against the stem, and light the watch. I have no idea how many times per day or month I'm going to do that without knowing that I have. You cannot tell that the dial light is on, in daylight, or even a well lit room. Time will tell, by premature extinction of the battery, how much it "costs" to turn on that light without knowing it.

Summarizing, would I have bought it, at this price, if I had known all this stuff from a friend or a review?

ANSWER = YES!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2011 6:17 PM PDT

HWC LEATHER POCKET 3X5 MEMO BOOK COVER NOTE PAD HOLDER - PLAIN
HWC LEATHER POCKET 3X5 MEMO BOOK COVER NOTE PAD HOLDER - PLAIN
Offered by On Scene Inc.
Price: $4.63
2 used & new from $4.60

5.0 out of 5 stars simple item, quite useful, April 10, 2011
I use 3x5" top bound notebooks, aka note pads, for several purposes. One is with me at all times. In a pocket if dressed, on the night stand if not. It used to be that the pads wore out by mechanical wear on the spiral binding, perforations in the cover, or generally overall trashiness.

I got the pad holder to extend the life (reduce the cost) of notepads. It works wonderfully, much better than I expected. When shirt pockets are too tight, I now put the protected pad in a hip pocket. Works fine. I don't know how long the current note pad will last in the cover ... I've never had one last this long before.

Tiny item, cheap, but makes my life a little bit easier.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3