Profile for D. Paul Dalton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Paul Dalton "DPD" RSS Feed (Dallas, TX USA)

The Last Unicorn
The Last Unicorn
DVD
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't bother with this, August 9, 2013
It was too complicated for children and too inane for adults.

Nonsensical story with irrelevant elements throughout that dragged it down. Animation was substandard. We watched it all the way through with a 6 year old granddaughter, hoping that it would come together. None of us enjoyed or liked it at all.

Disney Fairies Secret of The Wings Fashion Doll - Periwinkle
Disney Fairies Secret of The Wings Fashion Doll - Periwinkle
Offered by PCBS
Price: $35.00
7 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Grandkids Loved it!, November 27, 2012
I pre-ordered this movie for my 7 year old granddaughter's birthday (in early October), so all she received on her birthday from me was a note that she would be receiving this movie in the mail after it was released.

All through the rest of October (until it arrived), her Mom kept telling me how excited my granddaughter was about the expected movie. As the release date got closer and closer, she became more and more excited and started watching for the mailman. When the package finally arrived (actually, ON the release date), she immediately watched the movie with her 4 year old brother. They both LOVED it and have watched it over and over again!

According to my daughter, they're still watching it regularly and say they can't wait to bring it to "Grandpa's house" to see it on the "big screen" (the 5' x 9' screen in our media room).

It was the perfect birthday gift!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2012 8:49 AM PST

2 Pack Of Compatible Toner For Samsung ML-2510 Printers
2 Pack Of Compatible Toner For Samsung ML-2510 Printers
Offered by BuyITeasy
Price: $24.00
15 used & new from $17.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor toner replacement cartridges, October 5, 2012
I purchased this package of two "compatible" toner replacement cartridges for my Samsung laser printer. Well before running low on toner, each cartridge stopped working after the printer produced a growling/grinding noise. When I looked closely at each cartridge, the plastic helical gear was "chewed up" and no longer properly engaged the gear in the Samsung printer. Perhaps this is because these are reused/refiled cartridges or, if not, perhaps it's because the gear on these cartridges was made of too brittle or too soft of a material. In any event, I did not get full use our of either of them and replaced them with genuine Samsung cartridges, which have worked just fine since.

Microsmith Hot Link Pro IR Remote Extender, 6 Emitters (HLPRO)
Microsmith Hot Link Pro IR Remote Extender, 6 Emitters (HLPRO)
Offered by Home Controls, Inc.
Price: $84.95
38 used & new from $68.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and versatile - a great solution!, December 15, 2008
A couple of years ago, I bought a Hot-Link Pro for my own system. It was easy to hook up and has worked like a charm from Day One to control the 7 different devices in my system (61" Samsung DLP, Onkyo TX919 Receiver, Sony dual cassette deck, Sony 5-CD Player, Verizon [made by Motorola] DVR, Oppo DVD Player, & Mitsubishi VHS VCR).

The only problem I ever had was of my own making -- moving equipment around, I occasionally messed up the tape that holds the IR emitters to the devices; every time that's occurred (at least twice, maybe 3 times), I've contacted Microsmith (the mfgr) either by phone or e-mail and, within a couple of days, I received new tape strips in the mail at no charge. It's very hard to beat that kind of great customer service!

Last month, me, my siblings, and my Stepfather's children all pitched in to upgrade my Mom's and Stepfather's old 21" CRT analog TV to a new Samsung 46" Plasma unit -- and they love it (they said "it's like being there with whoever's on TV!" Last week, we mounted it on the wall for them and now they like it even better!

Putting up the mount was not nearly as much trouble as I expected, but
Mom didn't like all the wires showing and didn't want the components visible in the room, so she asked whether the components could be placed in a nearby closet and if the wires could be hidden. We said "sure, so now there are no wires or components in the room and she is absolutely delighted.

As part of accomplishing that project, I bought another Hot-Link Pro (through Amazon) and installed it. The hardest part of the entire installation was getting all the connection wires pulled though the wall behind the TV, up into the attic & back down into the closet. The distance required about 16' of cable. Now, I had planned for the longer HDMI & component video cables for this chore, but I forgot to take the longer distance into account for the Hot-Link Pro and, not surprisingly, I found that the supplied cables just wouldn't reach.

The instructions warn against using "just any" extension cable and suggest using the extension cables that Microsmith sells, but that would have required placing an order and waiting for it to arrive. So I bought a 20' stereo hookup cable set (2 RCA plugs at each end) from Radio Shack (and we also bought a Female to Female RCA adapter). I split the stereo cable apart and pulled one of the resulting two cables (with 1 RCA plug at each end) through the wall/attic/wall sequence, then connected one end of it to the Hot-Link Pro box in the closet, then connected the other end of it to the F/F adapter, which was already plugged into the cable for the Hot-Link Pro "eye," located near the TV.

Once I did that, the Hot-Link Pro worked great . . . but only with the lights off in the room. When the light are on, it is not so reliable. This is not a big problem, because they usually have the lights off when they're watching TV.

However, based on notes in the instructions, I concluded that the problem is due to the 5 CFLs in the light kit for the ceiling fan (the instructions warm about fluoresecent light interference). I knew I could switch those CFLs out for incandescents and it all probably would be OK, but I decided it's probably better to get a better cable in there anyway.

So today I called and spoke with Marcus at Microsmith, who confirmed that the CFL's could be the problem. However, rather than selling me one of Microsmith's relatively expensive shielded RCA-F to RCA-M extension cables (which was what I had originally planned to buy), Marcus suggested an easy -- and far less costly -- alternative: Replace the Radio Shack extension cable instead with an RG6 cable (he says that the RG6 cables are very well shieded and, fortunately, I left the pull line in place "just in case") and then connect that RG6 cable to the Hot-Link box and to the "eye" cable using inexpensive "Type F" to RCA converters. So I'll be doing that this next weekend.

If that doesn't stop the interference, I may swap out the bulbs or I may try ordering Microsmith's own extension cable. But, regardless of whether I get this issue fully resolved, I don't consider this issue to be at all a problem with the Hot-Link Pro -- it does just what it says it will do and it does that quite reliably. This particular application for Mom is just testing the limits of what the Hot-Link Pro can do.

Frankly, if I really wanted to "do it right" over this longer distance and if I had thought of it early enough, I could have ordered the Extended Version (which uses CAT 5 to communicate between the "eye" and the box)), but I didn't think of that in time and, at worst, this will be only a minor inconvenience.

AFAIC, the Hot-Link Pro itself is a tremendous product that does everything it says it will and more. From my experience with these two installations of the Hot-Link Pro, I believe that those who have reported problems with it either (a) are trying to use it beyone its stated capabilities, (b) are not carefully reading the instructions, (c) are not contacting Microsmith for the free tech support that probably can resolve their issues, or (d) have unusual components (for most of which, I believe Microsmith probably can recommend workarounds, if the folks would just call).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2008 9:31 AM PST

Gone with the Wind (Four-Disc Collector's Edition)
Gone with the Wind (Four-Disc Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Clark Gable

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical Consideration for "Bewildered in Iowa", November 30, 2004
I do hope you'll return and revise your rating to a '5' once you digest this information:

Gone With the Wind was never released in a Widescreen version on DVD because it was never released in a Widescreen version on film. In fact, when it was released (1939), there were NO "Widescreen" movies at all -- becaues no one had yet thought about formatting movies in that way.

Through the 1940s and into the 1950s, essentially ALL movies were in the 3:4 format that we now consider to be "regular". My understanding is that those proportions originally were adopted by the film industry to roughly correspond with the proportions of viewable area for the "live" theaters extant when the film industry started. Similarly, when television arrived in the late 40s/early 50s, its screen format was determined by copying the 3:4 screen proportions of films made up to that time. By the mid-1950s, the film industry became concerned about losing its audience to TV, so various WIDESCREEN formats (CinemaScope was one; I think there was another called VistaVision; I can't remember the others offhand) were conceived by the film industry in the 1950s as a way in which the film industry could distinguish its film products from what could efficiently be shown on television screens. This was the film industry's attempt to keep audiences coming to theaters to see their movies, rather than just waiting to see movie productions on home televisions; by coming to the theater, the audience could experience something different that what television could offer.

Other "ideas" in this effort against TV included attempts to interest audiences in 3D films, as well as enhancing film audio, both by greatly improving sound range and fidelity and later by adding stereo, at a time when TVs had only a single, inexpensive speaker that didn't sound all that "hot." In fact, the creation/addition of 5.1 audio (Surround Sound) was yet another film industry effort to distinguish itself from what then was available for use in homes.

Anyway, if someone now wants to issue a "Widescreen" version of GWTW, the only way to do it (without distorting the content) would be to cut off the top and/or bottom of every frame all the way through -- just think about how THAT would look . . .
Comment Comments (52) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2014 11:28 AM PST