Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Position > Reviews

Browse

Position's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Position "Vis-a-Vis" RSS Feed (Paris)

One Day in December: Celia Sánchez and the Cuban Revolution
One Day in December: Celia Sánchez and the Cuban Revolution
by Nancy Stout
Price: $23.32
33 used & new from $18.16

5.0 out of 5 stars absorbing and satisfying, April 28, 2013
Don't believe the history books. In more cases than you can imagine, our world is shaped by those who receive little acknowledgment for it. Stout's book has contributed to correcting that problem in a significant way. Somehow she sustains all the important aspects of Celia Sanchez's life to create a truly three-dimensional portrait. When I finished this book, I understood both the emotional reality and the political consciousness of a revolutionary figure who deserves much more of the spotlight than she has received up to now. This is a challenging study that must have taken years to perfect and was well worth it. It taught me some truths about the Cuban revolution I never could have learned in any other way.

WakeMate for iPhone
WakeMate for iPhone

5.0 out of 5 stars Works if you work at it, May 6, 2011
This review is from: WakeMate for iPhone
I found out that sleeping 8 hours from 4am to noon (which, since I work at home, I was doing) and sleeping 8 hours from 11pm to 7am make a world of difference. The early-to-bed thing gives much better rest (unfortunately, as I do like the night). I also discovered that a cocktail close to bedtime is bad, and working until bedtime at my computer is worse. So, yes, this product has helped me a lot.

Le Grand Robert & Collins: French-English / English-French Dictionary (French Edition)
by Collectif
Edition: CD-ROM
10 used & new from $103.24

3.0 out of 5 stars But You Can Use it Without the Disc, December 13, 2009
Milou Milou,

You can create a disc image from that DVD and store it on your Mac hard drive. The dictionary will open as if there were a physical disc in the drive. My complaint is that an important element is missing that was in older digital dictionaries: the ability to search the entire database for a phrase. It's possible to do this with the Petit Robert and the 2005 Grand Robert, but not with this dictionary, as far as I can tell, and the only French-English dictionary that has this feature, an unabridged version of the Hachette-Oxford, is now more than a decade old and only works on p.c.'s and Mac OS 9. It seems as if they keep adding more and more fancy extras without thinking of the basic technical needs of someone who uses these dictionaries intensely.

IceTech i101 SOLAR Portable Solar Charger/Battery
IceTech i101 SOLAR Portable Solar Charger/Battery
Offered by lakeplacegames
Price: $28.99
2 used & new from $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, and that's the point, May 2, 2009
I thought I should chime in with my experience, which varies slightly. First of all, this charger works for any device that takes a mini-USB, which includes my RAZR, my GPS, and a small Skype phone. I don't know about the other connections, except that it doesn't work on any Apple device (Ipod, Iphone) unless you buy the extra tip on their site (which I haven't yet bought, but which I'm assuming works). Also, it doesn't seem to work with a Zune.
Essentially, this charger is only for devices between 3.5 and 5 volts. So don't expect it to charge something like a laptop, and check the voltage of the things for which you intend to use it.
There's one strange thing: the two lights, and the on/off function do not work as described, at least on my unit, which I think is genuine (due to the correct packaging) and not a knockoff. When you plug this unit in to an electrical outlet to charge it, a blue light flashes. When the charge is full, the flashing blue light goes off; it does not stay on solidly to indicate a full charge, as the directions stated. The only thing the ON/OFF switch seems to do is turn solar-charging capabilities on or off. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to turn the charging of devices on or off, either. So actually, there doesn't seem to be any reason to ever set it to Off. When you're charging in sunlight, it allows solar charging, as indicated by a violet light. When you're charging from an electric outlet, the results are the same whether the switch is set to On or Off. and the charging blue light will blink anyway. If you connect something to be charged when the switch is on Off, it charges it anyway. If you connect something to charge when the switch is on On, it charges the same. So why ever turn if off? I have experimented with "double" charging. I plug in the device, leave the switch at ON for solar charging, and also leave it in the sunlight. The violet light that indicates sun charging stays on, and the blue light, indicating electrical charging blinks as expected, too, and I think charging time is reduced. So everything works, just differently than described. I hope this will be of benefit to someone, because it took me a week of experiments to figure it out. I emailed the company about the issue, and their answer was, yes, I was right, but that they hadn't had a chance to revise the directions. One more caveat: don't expect to put this in the sun, attach a device, and get it charged. You've got to charge up the battery of the solar charger first, either by means of an electrical outlet, or by leaving it in direct sunlight for 12 full hours. So if you're using it inside and depending only on solar charging, you'll probably need 3 or 4 days to charge the solar battery completely, because what home gets direct sunlight 12 hours a day? I think it's better to charge it from the electri socket, and then never use it so much that you drain it completely. Then you can refresh it in the sun in one day. Basically, I say buy this, because it works and the price is right (though it has gone up $4 since I bought it about a month ago). Not only that, but I accidently dropped it from a 2-story height out my window, it fell into bushes, yet it still works fine.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2011 10:45 PM PDT

NETGEAR SPH200W WiFi Phone with Skype
NETGEAR SPH200W WiFi Phone with Skype
6 used & new from $149.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely requires your ingenuity..., December 24, 2008
At first, the Netgear SPH200W made me want to go back to my Keyspan Skype phone, which is tinny and needs the Skype program on your computer, but is stable. The Netgear sound, on the other hand, was so sketchy for me and so horrendous for those I was talking to, and they often heard their voice in echo. To make matters worse, once I had updated the firmware on the Netgear phone, I couldn't connect to the alphabetical password on my wi-fi connection (which has 128 bit security). Instead, I had to find out the endlessly long series of numbers that the WEP password stood for and key them in. Finally, sometimes when I charged the phone (I never knew when to do it, because the little battery picture would show a full charge until the phone was almost out of juice), the phone began whistling as soon as I put it on the cradle, even when the cradle was unplugged! But the main problem was the poor connection, which my friends on the other end of the line begged me to do something about. First I ordered the recommended Motorola earpiece and mic from Amazon, and the mic didn't work with it! Only the earphone part did. But I happened to have the earpiece/mic that came with my old cell phone, a Sony-Ericsson P910. Once I'd attached that (and I had to attach it several times before the phone was aware it was attached), the sound on both sides was a dream: perfect clarity, no echo. The only remaining problem was that it was so loud for me that I have to operate the phone with the volume turned almost all the way down. (In fact, it's something to be careful about in general. During the dozens of times I called the Skype Test Call number, the harsh voice of the recording practically blew my eardrums out on several occasions.) But I'm so glad I didn't give up, because now my call experiences are every bit as clear and stable as when I was using a quality earphones/mic plugged into my computer with Skype. If you can go to the Sony Ericsson site and order the cheapest most basic ear/mic accessory for the P910 phone, you should be able to solve the problems as I did. That particular phone takes the same size jack as the Netgear SPH100W. I hope this has been helpful to some of you.

Retelling
Retelling
by Tsipi Keller
Price: $16.00
32 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars a character portrayal that swallows you up, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Retelling (Paperback)
This is the second book by Keller I have read. Quite gradually it wove its tentacles around me until I was trapped inside it. Two-thirds of the way through, I couldn't put it down and got so absorbed I stood up a date who was waiting for me. At first the character seems unpleasant, with a painful lack of self-awareness. Then, bit by bit, her way of seeing the world becomes your way, her fear becomes your fear, and her feeling of being trapped becomes your feeling of being trapped. Keller is a brilliant spinner of suspense stories, and each of her books (Jackpot and this one) worked like hypnosis on me. Her narrative style is seamless and builds in slow, irresistible waves. She understands that the portrayal of character is a cumulative process. No suspension of disbelief is necessary when reading this book. Without even trying, you become a part of it, as if you've been plunged into a dream. _Retelling_ is the best book I've read in years. I can't stop thinking about it.

Confessions from the Velvet Ropes: The Glamorous, Grueling Life of Thomas Onorato, New York's Top Club Doorman
by Glenn Belverio
42 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I got hooked, July 15, 2006
I dipped into the first page of this book, thinking I'd scan it for gossip. But I got totally caught up in Belverio's sharp, sardonic view of New York night life and couldn't put it down. The book has hysterically funny moments. It also updated me about what's happening NOW in the New York night scene. I've been going to clubs all my adult life but I never understood what makes a doorman tick as clearly as I do now. This was a fascinating read.The author has a finely honed wit and a great eye for detail.

Baise-Moi (Rape Me)
Baise-Moi (Rape Me)
by Virginie Despentes
Price: $10.80
59 used & new from $6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars You've misunderstood, December 13, 2004
This review is from: Baise-Moi (Rape Me) (Paperback)
Virginie Despentes is an anti-stylist. In her prose, she tries to capture the rhythm of the popular, nonliterary mind. She's against aestheticism and the literary aesthetic, much like the avant-garde writer Cathy Acker was. What she hopes to do in this book is to enter directly into the minds of alienated, abject characters, without poeticizing them. This is a very difficult task, and she succeeds beautifully. The translator tried to match this naked, gritty voice as exactly as possible. Those readers who didn't like the book or its style obviously didn't get it, or had to shut their minds off to this harrowing experience of alienation. But this is a very human, deeply touching book. It's brave and uncompromising. The French understood this, but the book has been sadly neglected in this country.