Profile for Wood Wren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 389

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wood Wren "Wren" RSS Feed (U.S.A.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Skipping Christmas: A Novel
Skipping Christmas: A Novel
by John Grisham
Price: $9.59
80 used & new from $2.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light Christmas read but not the author's best, September 11, 2014
John Grisham is a good writer and a good teller of stories, facts that most people will agree with on one level or another. I myself have enjoyed several of his books over the years although you most certainly cannot place me on the role of his most devoted followers. Some of his books I like; others I am have not been overly thrilled with. I suppose I don't like reading about legal stuff all that much...that is my primary problem when it comes to Grisham's books...subject matter.

Well this is not a "lawyer book" which for me was good, but then on the other hand I most certainly don't feel it was his best work involving non-lawyer subjects. No legal thriller here. No, what we have is an amusing satirical story about an average guy...an accountant, who is absolutely sick of Christmas and all the hoop-a-la that goes with it. His only daughter has joined the Peace Corps and left home so our hero decides that he and his wife will go on a cruse and simply be gone when the Christmas season begins.

Of course there are all kinds of difficulties, in particular with the neighbors and the Krank's lack of decorations on their home and lack of participation in community events.

The story is funny and many people (myself included) will be able to relate to Luther Krank and his attitude toward our modern Christmas rituals...commercialism, et al.

This is a light read and a fast read. It is more entertaining than anything and is pretty predictable throughout. It is wall written, as all this author's work is but simply does not have that extra "snap" that place him on the author "A List."

Recommend reading this for a light read to simply avoid watching T.V. if for nothing else.

This was a library find.

Nine Princes In Amber
Nine Princes In Amber
by Roger Zelazny
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my personal favorites, September 9, 2014
I've been reading Zelazny's work since I was a very young girl and must admit that he is one of my favorite of the all time "A List' Sifi and Fantasy writers. I also admit that since I first read it I have been completely enchanted by all of his Amber books; even the last five which many do not care all that much for.

Nice Princes of Amber sets the mood and begins the journey which now has become know and the Chronicles of Amber or The Great Book of Amber. Please keep in mind that this body of work can be broken down into two parts...the first five books and then the second five books.

Anyway, these book quite well may not be for everyone. I can only describe them, as several other reviewers have here, as noir Fantasy. They most certainly have the fantasy element going for them but the author has taken the style found in action/adventure books from the 1920s through the 1940s, particularly with the dialog. In addition to this, he has thrown in contemporary terms which might throw some readers off but for me most certainly work - as odd as it may sound.

The book, Nine Princes of Amber is written in the fist person and is told by Corwin, who wakes up in a hospital bed not having a clue as to who he is or where he is or what he is. From here we find that the world Corwin awakes to is not all that it seems and is in fact not the true world; the true world is Amber, but rather only a shadow of that real world. Think of a large deck of cards and only one card in the deck is the real card and all of the hundreds of cards are but mere shadows of that one true chard...alike in many ways, but always subtly different from the card next to it.

Then throw in a cast consisting of a royal family who will do just about anything to rule the one true world

And the adventure begins.

These books are filled with Zelazny's trade mark humor but make no mistake, they are written for serious readers. The plot is complicated and extremely complex. Try to think of a sophisticated Game of Thrones and its following novels...without the graphic violence, sex and torture. The Amber books will keep you on your toes and slowly draw you into its magic which I must say can become rather addictive over the years. You never really know what is real and what is not yet the author has the skill of being able to keep the reader on the write track and if the will is there, all will eventually make sense.

I highly recommend this book and the rest of the series to any series reader of the fantasy genre.

Deeper Than the Dead (Deeper Than the Dead, Book 1)
Deeper Than the Dead (Deeper Than the Dead, Book 1)
by Tami Hoag
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
400 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read by one of my favorite authors, June 15, 2014
In her introduction, Tammy Hoag, the author, points out the fact that she has departed somewhat from her normal offerings in that she has placed her story in 1986. This was a time where DNA, computers, cell phones, massive data bases, smart phones, google and google maps were not available to police. Now 1986 was not all that long ago and when you stop to think about it we have come a long, long way as to the technology available to not only we as private citizens, but to law enforcement agencies as well. For good or bad, depending upon how you look at it, times have changed!

This is a story of a very nice little community where bad things simply do not happen. The community is rocked when a body is found; a grossly mutilated body of a young woman to has been raped and tortured for a lengthy time and finally strangled. The body is found by three children in a wonderful little park. It quickly becomes obvious that there is a demented and totally evil serial killer living amongst all the nice people of the community.

Primary characters (the good guys), include Vince Leone, one of the original FBI profilers who is on the cusp to retirement and takes this case on, on his own time, a up and coming local detective, a local devoted school teacher, a semi-competent sheriff and then...well there are the families of the three children who discover the initial body.

And I feel that the three families; perfect small town families who are totally dysfunctional behind closed doors, are the real stars of this suspenseful thriller. I found that the interaction between members of these separate families to be one of the high points of this well written novel. I suspect (no, I know) that these families are not much different that those that can be found in most of our communities throughout our country and this fact makes the story much more real and gripping.

The plot is interesting and moves at a good pace. Readers should take note that there is child abuse, both physical and mental, featured in this story and at least one intense sexual episode. It should also be noted that the actual murders and the process of these murders are a bit graphic.

That being said, I found this to be a satisfying read and personally found it to be a bit of a page turner. Tami Hoag is an excellent author and did not let me down with this one.

Paracord Planet Type III 7 Strand 550 Paracord - Made in the USA - Largest In Stock Selection of Paracord Colors
Price: $0.01 - $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good general purpose rope. Do your research before you buy though, April 4, 2014
One of my favorite literary works is J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. If read carefully, the three books (four if you include The Hobbit), a person can pick up a great amount of wisdom. These books are simply filled with wise advice. In the first book of the trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, just as Fellowship is about to depart Rivendell, Sam is taking mental inventory of what he has back for their journey and contemplating what he may have forgotten:

"Rope!" he muttered. "No rope! And only last night you said to yourself: `Sam, what about a bit of rope?' You'll want it, if you haven't got it.' Well, I'll want it. I can't get it now."

I cannot tell you how many times these words of good Sam have come back to haunt me!

Well here I found part of the solution (I am still working of the ability to remember things part) with this. This is not the cheap sort of crap you find at a lot of the dollar store places, and establishments such as that. No, this is quality rope at a very good price.

The uses of this stuff are endless and are limited only my direct necessity and imagination. I keep a package in all of my cars, some in our barns and out-buildings, in my work shop, office and it is one of the first thing that goes into my pack when hiking for camping. I have no way of testing whether or not this stuff actually holds up 550 pounds, but I do know I have been unable to break the stuff. Recently I was able to triple up on this stuff (twisted three strands and looped them) and actually use it to pull a car out of a snow bank (Now I grant you it was a small car...but never the less, a car it was).

Now keep in mind that this stuff is not an answer to all of a person's rope needs. There is rope and there is rope. Quite often there are specialized jobs or activities that require specialized rope. I don't recommend this stuff in you plan to do any mountain or rock climbing in the near future; caving or working stock, water skiing, sailing, etc. Also, remember your high school physics class. Rope, like everything else in the universe is subject to certain physical laws. To try to get a rope to do things that go against these laws is unwise. Also, don't forget your common sense.

This is a very good general purpose rope which is selling for a nice price. It is handy to have around and performs the jobs I pay it to perform.

Wild River by CLC WT3604 Tackle Tek Nomad Lighted Backpack with Four PT3600 Trays
Price: $143.20
33 used & new from $124.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Mets my specific needs perfectly, March 23, 2014
I have owned, as has my family, quite a number of tackle boxes and various like containers over the years. A person needs different boxes and different containers for different types of fishing – different circumstances, terrain, weather conditions, species being sought, boat/canoe/ship/ or not, and many other factors. I have to tell you that this backpack gear storage system is probably one of the best all-around systems I have ever owned. It is absolutely amazing how much storage space is available here and how easy it is to load, keep organized and (this is important) carry.

The pack comes fully loaded with trays whose capacity fills all of my needs. It has plenty of pouches, snaps and hooks to allow me to carry the extras that I always seem to load. I love the green led lights and find them one of the most helpful features on the bag. I do a long of night fishing. There is absolutely no sagging on the top of the pack and I normally keep it very loaded down. The pack is extremely comfortable and has a well designed fit.

I have had other fabric type tackle storage system and one of the features on them that I have not liked is the metal zippers. Hey, when you fish, in particular when you fish salt water, metal...almost any metal, is a real problem over time. These zippers are made of some sort of heavy duty plastic material and I have had no problems with corrosion or breakage or kinking what so every.

One feature I love about this is the #3600-style trays. These are easy to remove and are easy to find at most tackle shops or on line. Depending upon what sort of fishing I do, I have quite a number of extra trays fully loaded and I can pick and choose which tray I take. As an example, if I am fishing for large cat fish on the river – night fishing of course – I most certainly do not need four trays of bass lures; no, I need large hooks, heavy weights and extra leaders. I use the proper trays I have made up.

The rain cover works wonderful and is easy to install at a moments notice. It is nice not to have to carry extra plastic trash bags.

It should be noted that I have not had the problem with the melting of the battery holder a couple of people have noted. Not sure what is going on here. I am quite sure that if the holder did melt I would be returning the pack very quickly.

I highly recommend. For my needs this is almost the perfect tackle storage and transportation system.

Tyson Natural Hardwood Smoked Bacon, 1.66 Pound -- 3 per case.
Tyson Natural Hardwood Smoked Bacon, 1.66 Pound -- 3 per case.
Offered by FoodserviceDirect Inc.
Price: $64.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Tyson Product, November 24, 2013
Amazon will not allow links to be posted to reviews but they will on the comments. Before you purchase this Tyson product I would suggest you view the video you can reach on the link in the comment section of this review. Warning - it is a very vivid video not for the squemish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 5:19 PM PST

Sterling Silver Catch Bangle Bracelet "If Sisters Were Flowers I'd Choose You" with Flower Charm Drop
Price: $35.78

5.0 out of 5 stars An appreciated gift., October 11, 2013
Small and delicate this was a very welcome gift from my big sister. I do not wear much jewelry but this piece is much understated, not showy at all and fits my look and personality perfectly. It is also a very appreciated gift from sis. I wear much more silver than gold so this is a very nice addition to my modest collection.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars SHAME, SHAME, SHAME and More Shame, August 21, 2013
,Shame on this author, publisher and indeed, Amazon and Barns & Noble. This book, along with over 1,000 other books by this author, are merely blatant cut and paste jobs of information taken directly from Wikipedia. It will take you about 10 to 15 seconds to find this entire book simply by signing into Wikipedia and reading the information found there...along with suggested articles, and it will not cost you a penny.

This is an old scam which is becoming more and more popular with less than moderate principles. It is becoming more common now due to technology; technology which allows `print on demand" books to become easy to produce.

If you have extra money you want to throw around why not donate it to your local library where it can actually do some good rather than lining this author's pockets.

No Title Available