Profile for Avihu Turzion > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Avihu Turzion RSS Feed (Givat Avni, Israel)

Apple Wireless Keyboard MC184LL/B
Apple Wireless Keyboard MC184LL/B
Price: $64.00
154 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim and Comfortable, September 25, 2011
Very slick quality keyboard. As a Mac programmer I recommend it whole-heatedly.

Pros:
- Slim and small - taking very few space from the desk. Good for big and small desks alike.
- Bluetooth - each cord dropped from the spaghetti clutter is a blessing.
- Dropped the keypad - helps you focus on the part of the keyboard you're using %99 percent of the time which means it's better ergonomically oriented.
- Very long battery life.
- Very good feel on the keys. For those who love flat keys like me, it feels as the flat equivalent of the silent das.

Cons:
- Better oriented for Mac than for Windows (sometimes you just need to focus for convenience).
- I really miss the: del, pg. up, pg. down and insert keys. As a programmer and especially as a very heavy vim and VMware user, they're a bit lacking as a single keystroke rather than a 2 key 'longcut'. The lack of the Insert button is extremely prominent when using Windows VMs. Couldn't find a way around it except choosing 'Send ctrl+alt+del' from the drop-down menu.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2011 1:02 PM PST

Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Gifts n Deals
Price: $297.17
26 used & new from $190.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Headphones Set, May 29, 2010
For those who really want to enjoy their music without the disturbance of the environment, this is a very good choice. The noise cancellation isn't an impervious wall against outside noisy interruptions, but it removes almost entirely even very loud bass sounds. Noises like air-conditioning, engines, traffic swooshes and chattering are almost entirely gone just by flipping on the headphones. The headphones are on only with the Noise Cancellation feature.

The Noise Cancellation feature alone is not optional and cannot be turned off. It would have been nice if you could hear with the headphones without the noise cancellation, as they are very good headphones, and in quiet environments I wouldn't want to waste my battery for nothing. But that's a very small thing to complain about. Given the fact that since they can do the Noise Cancellation without playing music, but just being on, they can function as very expensive (and cushioned) earplugs for flights, and other earthly commutes. I was riding a bus once and had them on, played a bit of music, and it felt like I had my own soundtrack, no noise was sipping through. Amazing sensation (and the volume was even at the max).

And one very big virtue of Noise Cancellation in general and not just in the case of these phones, is that it allows you to hear your music at a much lower volume. Usually you max your music's volume to compensate for the environmental noise, and the result is great damage to your ears when doing it for a long time. I use to hear my music with normal (even higher quality) phones at almost the top of my iPod Classic volume, and now I barely scratch the %70 mark. The relief to my ears was felt on the first day of usage, as my ears just felt relaxed. I think that this is a killer health feature not taken into account so much when buying such phones, but is totally worth it in the long run.
And just as a small disclaimer for comments to come: No, the Noise Canceling sounds don't do the same damage as high volume music, because after the destroying waves have met the regular noise sound waves the effect your ears feel us just slightly more pressurized air, which is equivalent to just taking an elevator to a lower floor or taking a dive in the sea.

A slight bummer about the Noise Cancellation as a glasses wearing person: The Noise Cancellation is built in these headphones (as opposed to the QC3) is working on the assumption that the headphones fully cover your ears - something that doesn't happen when you are wearing glasses. Although the foam helps wrapping your ears very tightly even with the glasses on, the best Noise Cancellation experience is with my glasses off.

By the way a small rant about the accessories coming with these phones - it's very nice being able to detach the cord so that I'll have just the Noise Canceling effect when I just want to relax from the surrounding nice (let's say in an airplane), and don't want to find myself all tide up a few minutes later, but I would have liked the option to buy a spare cable (even at the same overpriced cost) somewhere else than Bose's store, or at least somewhere that does worldwide shipping. Because right now I'm very scared damaging or losing the cord I have, because it will require me an oversea travel to fix the phones in such a case.

The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
by Nicholas Gurewitch
Price: $18.33
42 used & new from $7.34

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Comics Fans, September 30, 2009
Funny and inspiring. The work of Nicholas Gurewitch can be thought of as a milestone in modern comics. I'm a fan of PBF for several years, and it's a pleasure for me to be able to hold a hard copy of all of my favorite PBFs in my hands. And the interview with Gurewitch is, in my opinion, one of the most inspiring pieces in the book. A rare peep into an artist's state of mind.