Profile for Lane Silberstein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lane Silberstein RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
In New York: A Selection (Jewish Poetry Series)
In New York: A Selection (Jewish Poetry Series)
by Moshe Leib Halpern
6 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Poetry but a Lackluster Translation, October 13, 2013
That pretty much sums it up. Not that Hellerstein had an easy task translating complex modernist poetry with rhymes. You'll miss a lot if you can't read the Yiddish. But even if you can only sound out the Yiddish, I highly recommend reading through this.

Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count
Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count
Offered by Smart Distributing
Price: $5.50
23 used & new from $4.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Ugh so disappointed, February 20, 2013
It made several good cups when i first used it, then it quickly devolved into making watery brew D:

I haven't tried many options to resolve it yet, but i can't imagine what the problem is; i've tamped down the grounds, and they aren't so coarse that the water flows through it too quickly.

Just sad. The regular k-cups are expensive and i miss drinking Oren's.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2013 8:46 AM PST

Brooklyn Beans Variety Count Coffee Single-cup coffee for Keurig K-Cup Brewers for Keurig Brewers, 40 Count
Price: $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite K cups so far., January 26, 2013
I've had a keurig for about 2 or 3 months and the grocery stores don't have much of a selection. the best they have is Newman's and it's gonna be pricey. the only places that sell variety packs are department stores and that's only reasonable if you have a discount card.

if there's any criticism of Brooklyn Beans, it's that anything with "brooklyn" in the name is clearly a marketing ploy. well it worked (i do live in new york) and at least the coffee is good.

(note: i have not as yet used any custom k cups, the type where you can use any beans. it is entirely possible that i will forego all k cups in the near future, as i do miss drinking Oren's.)

Skinny Tie - White Polka Dots
Skinny Tie - White Polka Dots
Offered by Tieguys

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is it shiny??, January 26, 2013
Why?? why is it shiny??

it looks like a clown tie. and it doesn't help that i really wanted a polka-dotted tie. i just didn't want a shiny one.

at least it was only 9 bucks.

Soul of Wood (New York Review Books Classics)
Soul of Wood (New York Review Books Classics)
by Jakov Lind
Price: $12.36
56 used & new from $0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, February 2, 2011
Franz Kafka said, "What we need are books that hit us like a most painful misfortune, like the death of someone we loved more than we love ourselves, that make use feel as though we had been banished to the woods, far from any human presence, like suicide."

A book has done that, and it is Jakov Lind's _Soul of Wood_.

Perhaps it was Lind's extraordinary past that produced such extraordinary work: the boy was separated from his parents-- who emigrated to Palestine-- after the Nazis annexed Austria, and he went into hiding in Holland. He took on many identities throughout his life, and even worked for the SS. He moved to London, befriended Canetti, and then wrote in English, lamenting his loss of German and European culture. Stefan Zweig's suicide, which forever separated him from his homeland, comes to mind.

I cannot put into words, at least not ones that rival Kafka's above, about how Lind's stories have touched me. They do, to be sure, affect me in a similar way as those of Kafka's absurdist works; I see Lind as a post-war Kafka, someone fully familiar with the chaos of the world and the ability to render it into almost perfect representational art. Lind's symbols, even ones as insane as a paralytic Jewish boy hidden from the Nazis at the top of an Austrian mountain with the help of a crippled WWI veteran (this is the background of the title story), will hopefully remain as prevalent as Kafka's human-turned-creature Gregor Samsa.

Make Me a Woman
Make Me a Woman
by Vanessa Davis
Price: $18.52
45 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Unsatisfying, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Make Me a Woman (Hardcover)
I guess I'll be the voice of dissent here, and say I didn't enjoy Davis's book all too much, even despite being Jewish, growing up in Florida, and then moving to New York, like Davis did herself.

I first read these comics online, and the only new additions in the book are little black and white sketches, about a page or half a page long. They stand as a microcosm of the rest of book: they don't really DO anything. They're mostly cute jokes, or random thoughts. I can say the same thing about the individual comics that are collected in the book (which are usually about 2 pages long), in that there is not enough action and they are ultimately unsatisfying. Hence they are only 2 pages long: there is nothing cohesive that could sustain the stories if they kept going. I believe, however, that Davis could have done this, and I think she is quite talented. The threads about her non-Jewish boyfriend might have been extended.

The jokes are funny, and it is slightly interesting to see Davis's "slice of life" or whatever, since it is similar to mine, and I like the difference her gender brings... but I just felt like I needed something more substantial. Therefore, I recommend reading it online or getting it from a library.

I also recommend Adrian Tomine's excellent graphic novels (likeShortcomings) , issued by the same publisher. As for contemporary Jewish novels, Steve Stern and Nicole Krauss certainly deliver.

Arab in America
Arab in America
by Toufic El Rassi
Price: $11.08
40 used & new from $5.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally Charged and Excellent, September 23, 2010
This review is from: Arab in America (Paperback)
There's a scene in this graphic novel that directly parallels a story written by Yiddish-speaking Jewish immigrants to America: a religiously observant man (not even an Arab Muslim like the protagonist, but a Indian Sikh) is harassed by young white kids on public transit. The protagonist and author, Toufic El Rassi, is ashamed for doing nothing to defend the man.

"Arab in America", therefore, is a perfect addition to American immigrant literature, and an argument can be made that this is what (or should) bind us all together as Americans: that we are all different and we come from diverse backgrounds. Unfortunately, but understandably, due to both the scene above and to America's messed up relationship with the Arab world, El Rassi does not have an easy time of finding his identity.

It's an excellent book, one written from a unique yet timeless angle, which enables us to sympathize and learn about different people and different cultures. My Jewish ancestors and myself have along ago assimilated, but we all faced (and sometimes still do face) difficulties similar to those of El Rassi. I immensely enjoyed it when he talked about Arabic and how he felt awkward not knowing it; the scene was a moment of reflection for myself and my people's history and culture.

I gave it four stars because I guess El Rassi didn't have an editor and I have an allergic reaction to typos. It's also impossible to present the Arab-Israeli conflict from an unbiased angle no matter who you are, and it's inclusion in here might not have been totally necessary. Letting my own feelings be known, however, I am glad El Rassi exposes America's ridiculous foreign policy, and I also like his awkwardness towards religion. I recognize his bias, and of course my own, yet this book remains incredibly educational and emotionally gripping.

Highly recommended.

Tevye the Dairyman and Motl the Cantor's Son (Penguin Classics)
Tevye the Dairyman and Motl the Cantor's Son (Penguin Classics)
by Sholem Aleichem
Price: $11.49
69 used & new from $6.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs More Tevye, March 29, 2010
Miron writes an excellent introduction with excellent literary analyses of both the Tevye and Motl stories, and that might be the best part of this book. Furthermore, I would not say there is one definitive translator of Aleichem's work - they are all equally talented (and quite talented at that). But, then again, I am not a scholar like Reb Tevye!

Also included is a Yiddish glossary.

I gave it four stars, though, because I simply wanted more Tevye - but it is also true that no single volume will contain enough Sholem Aleichem to fully sate a reader's appetite.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2010 5:21 PM PDT

Unknown Soldier Vol. 2: Easy Kill
Unknown Soldier Vol. 2: Easy Kill
by Josh Dysart
Price: $15.86
64 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Contemporary "Night", March 29, 2010
I don't often write reviews on Amazon, but couldn't avoid one for this book; it's just that good.

I recently saw Elie Wiesel speak about the genocide in Darfur, and while this book is set in Uganda, I couldn't stop thinking about the Nobel Laureate and his work and how it relates to Unknown Soldier. The second volume focuses a lot on the strife young Ugandan children face - and it is a tear jerker.

This book has many hooks: emotion, contemporary conflict/politics, action...

Highly recommended.

Jewish American Literature: A Norton Anthology
Jewish American Literature: A Norton Anthology
by John Felstiner
Price: $39.15
55 used & new from $6.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Expansive and Elucidating, September 26, 2009
This book is incredible. I enjoy how it incorporates authors who, as per the anthology's title, write about both their Americanness and their Jewishness, hence the elimination of folks like JD Salinger (who is a fine writer but whose texts' themes are not "Jewish" enough for inclusion).

The most interesting pieces are possibly the earliest ones from colonial America. Hearing about Jews mouth off Peter Stuyvesant (an anti-semitic governor) and Redcoats is entertaining and educating, and the inclusion of non-fiction like that is a good balance.

The only criticism of the book I can see is the exclusion of religious texts, like sermons, by leading American Rabbis or scholars who helped shaped American Judaism, e.g. men and women like Solomon Schechter and Ray Frank. Obviously, there are other books to read for that area, and I recommend Jonathan Sarna's American Judaism.

Page: 1 | 2