Profile for PoorImpulseCtrl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PoorImpulseCtrl RSS Feed (Fort Collins, CO USA)

Imprint Cumulus9 Comfort Mat Nantucket 20-inch x 36-inch x 5/8-inch Black
Imprint Cumulus9 Comfort Mat Nantucket 20-inch x 36-inch x 5/8-inch Black
Price: $59.99
6 used & new from $53.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sit-stand desks, September 12, 2013
I use a sit-stand desk at work. It's nice to get you off your butt but can wear on your feet a bit. Especially if you have harder soles. The last month and a half with this mat has been much more comfortable. I occasionally find myself standing for eight hours now, something that would've resulted in a lot of discomfort before. Also, the black pattern is attractive and professional, as much as it can be, anyway.

PUR 18 Cup Dispenser with One Pitcher Filter DS-1800Z
PUR 18 Cup Dispenser with One Pitcher Filter DS-1800Z
Offered by DiscountFilterStore
Price: $34.52
59 used & new from $24.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, sure. You THINK your tap water tastes fine..., September 12, 2013
After a recent move to California, I noticed a slight funkiness in our tap water. As we no longer have water filtration built into our refrigerator, I decided to pick up one of these 18 cup dispensers. It's a really convenient way to quickly have access to a large amount of filtered water compared to slowly filling water bottles for the gym, a pet's dish, or other containers you might not want to spend 2 minutes filling at a filtered water source.

I have to admit, the water genuinely tastes better or rather, tastes like nothing at all. Remembering to replace filters every couple of months will likely be annoying but it's worth it.

Gigabyte BRIX Intel HM77 Mini Booksize Barebone System - Black (GB-XM12-3227)
Gigabyte BRIX Intel HM77 Mini Booksize Barebone System - Black (GB-XM12-3227)
2 used & new from $440.00

5.0 out of 5 stars XBMC or Plex users looking for a new media server, this is your box., September 12, 2013
I've been using my Brix (i3) with a Crucial 64g mSATA SSD for three weeks now. It replaced an aging Boxee Box (whose remote control was mysteriously broken). As a side goal, I wanted this to not only replace my media player but also my media server (a collection of drives running in my main PC). Hooked to an external raid, this little Brix box kicks serious butt. It boots extremely quickly, uses very little power and has no trouble playing anything I throw at it, including uncompressed BD ISOs with full bitstream HD audio via XBMC and the HDMI connection.

That last one was the really exciting bit. I've yet to have found a great platform for playing back HD audio. Until now, at least. For $400 total (including ram and SSD), this is a great alternative to a $600 Mac Mini (which cannot bitstream HD audio). If you're looking for a media player, you can probably find something a lot cheaper, but as a fully functional media hub (iTunes, XBMC, media management, etc.) this is exceptional.

P.S. Using an HP IR receiver, I'm able to control the box with my Harmony One, too.

Pros: Speedy, no-hiccup playback of large media files. Quick setup and configuration.

Cons: Integrated IR would be nice. Having a couple more USB ports would be nice, too, but that's nothing a hub can't fix.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 9:58 PM PDT

Crucial m4 64GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT064M4SSD3
Crucial m4 64GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT064M4SSD3
Offered by Sunrise Nanotech
Price: $105.95
4 used & new from $68.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy and solid., September 12, 2013
As far as inexpensive mSATA SSDs go, this is a great, speedy, solid value. Worked as expected in a Gigabyte Brix HM77.

The Boxee Box by D-Link HD Streaming Media Player
The Boxee Box by D-Link HD Streaming Media Player
Offered by IGEX Direct
Price: $247.38
17 used & new from $75.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, in certain setups. Still has a lot of room to grow., December 1, 2010
Up until recently, I've had a PC in the living room for gaming, but also playing media (mostly Apple Lossless music managed in iTunes) and 1080p MKV files.

With a relocation of my office and a move of my PC, I needed something in the living room to continue to stream local content to the TV. While I have an Xbox 360, it doesn't support MKV containers internally, so I'd have to use a transcoder to watch my content (which wouldn't allow much in the way of organization) and the likelihood of the process being able to keep up is slim. Basically, I consider transcoding a hack. It's free, usually, but it's no long term solution.

Enter the Boxee Box. I'd been using XBMC on my living room PC, so I was a bit concerned about transitioning to another system, but it's similar enough to make for a smooth move. It uses a similar scraping mechanism to XBMC, and while it's not as customizable, it doesn't really NEED to be. It needed a bit of help identifying things, but with my guidance, it quickly found video artwork, descriptions and ratings. I'm a meticulous person anyway, so taking the time to make sure everything's named properly is easy for me.

The setup is quick, the networking is easily followed (if you're familiar with such things), and the little keyboard on the back of the remote works really well. Especially if you're adept with a smart phone keyboard. The onscreen interface is modest, but attractive, and is easy to navigate. A bit of UI customization would be nice. The system does present a fair number of audio and video options and adjusting for things like overscan, black levels, resolution and audio outputs is intuitive and fast. Request: A color pattern or even calibration utility would be nice in addition to the simple black and white screen patterns.

As a special note to home theater nerds, the Boxee supports bitstream output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA via HDMI! I would much rather have my receiver doing the decoding, so getting that data stream (the signal that makes your receiver or processor say: "Dolby TrueHD" is very welcome.

Audio playback of my Apple Lossless files is smooth and expected, though compared to iTunes, the playback interface is extremely simplistic. There are few options for playlisting and shuffling--I might actually buy an Apple Airport Express to function as a playback device since I manage all of my music in iTunes for my iPhone and iPad anyway. Much like having a BD player and a CD player serving two different roles in a media rack, I'm not against spending a bit of money to have native Apple playback support specific to audio.

On to the main topic of Boxee controversy: Online content streaming. The Boxee isn't doing much of it yet. This is probably the biggest point of contention with most, the Hulu community being particularly grumpy. Hey, if you prefer to watch all of your content streaming over the web, I dig the frustration, though this is a publicly known "beta" aspect of the Boxee Box. It's still unknown how many content providers will allow Boxee to stream their video, but expect most of the large ones. I understand why people might hold off if they want this to play Hulu or ABC.com content, but that's a very small part of my interest in the device.

Bottom line, it is an exception local-streamer for people who want to rip/backup their media and store it on a home network for quick playback later. Also, it is a lackluster online streamer with a great deal of potential.

For $200, it's an excellent buy as is and within a few months, expect MUCH more online support. This does the (media) work of my PC without the fan noise and there's no need for a full keyboard and mouse.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was hoping for., October 16, 2009
Along with the other reviews, simply put, I love the uniform. I actually bought it for a Halloween costume with a bit more quality than just some poorly-fitting piece of junk. In fact, the quality and fit is so great, I wish I had more reasons to use it. Maybe I'll start wearing it around the house. Heh.

The uniform has strap-ties in all of the places you'd expect and want and elastic hems in the others, making for a very stable, solid fit.

The hood was a bit small for me, I have a large head, but the under-mask fits fine. I'm talking with the vendor to see if they can send me a larger hood, but it's not a biggie.

I recommend picking up a belt from Piranha, too, to tighten up the middle of the uniform.

Piranha has great customer service and they shipped extremely quickly. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2011 4:57 PM PST

Griffin AutoPilot for iPod
Griffin AutoPilot for iPod
Offered by TurboDeals
Price: $5.99
23 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much the best car accessory for the iphone in existence., July 21, 2008
I would've given this five stars except it's not technically supported so it doesn't get a perfect rating.

As the other reviewers have mentioned, this plug is compatible with both the first generation and second generation iphones. Since the phone locks itself after a short period of time, it's a pain to skip songs. This device allows you to do so without unlocking the phone and it also charges things up. It works with any 1/8" miniplug output: aux inputs on your car stereo, tape adapters, etc. As long as your lighter plug is somewhere convenient, I can't see this being a bad purchase for anyone with an iphone or ipod touch.