Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for Barry Musmon > Reviews

Browse

Barry Musmon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barry Musmon "Barry" RSS Feed (Central maine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
New Blood
New Blood

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, March 2, 2012
This review is from: New Blood (MP3 Music)
I like the Album much as I like almost everything PG has has ever done. I didn't find it all that different from the versions I already have, sure it is orchestrated but it is presented quite the same. But I have a very high tolerance for PG's work.

TEAC CD-P1260 CD Player with LCD and MP3 Playback
TEAC CD-P1260 CD Player with LCD and MP3 Playback
Price: $96.98
32 used & new from $87.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing eventually it did work, January 8, 2012
I upgraded to 3 stars because I got back on the horse, it had all the features that I wanted and it was a Teac. Some of the explanation lies in the fact that they are produced in China and not Japan.

I ordered a refurbished unit through on of Amazon's affiliates. My thinking was that at least someone would have to test it which was missing in the first unit.

I held my breath when I put the first disc in hoping it wouldn't spit it back at me without playing it and in fact it worked flawlessly. It has a headphone amp with a volume control a very nice feature. I haven't tried an mp3 yet but it was another reason I was interested in this machine.

We have been using our Panasonic DVD recorder for playing CD's and it didn't do a great job, I didn't realize how bad it was until I heard this unit. The sound is exceptional, very pleased with that. I do worry after reading the reviews that some where not so long down the road it will fail, I am not going to be happy when that happens. The reason for upgrading from 1 star to 3 is now I have a working player. If I had more confidence in the unit I would have given it 5 stars. If a year from now it is still working, I will probably upgrade my rating.

For the moment we are enjoying great sound.

Below is my initial review and it still is what happened so I am leaving it.

I was all excited my package arrive on Saturday when it was slated for delivery Tuesday. Our plan was to rearrange the whole entertainment area and we would be able to listen to CDs while we record something on the DVD recorder that we had been using for a not so good cd player.

I decided to set it up on the bench to test it with a set of headphones, a very nice feature. I put a cd in and it came right out saying no disc. Ok, I had about 10 cds to try and every single one of them failed. I went through everything I knew how to do and to see if I could get a hint from the manual and nothing. To my knowledge Teac is still produced in Japan and that usually means good quality, it was heavy telling me it had a nice power supply. I still have the Teac DBX tape I purchased about 25 years ago and it works perfectly even now. So much for Teac's quality control which apparently doesn't exist any longer, I would have preferred that they found this problem at the factory and fixed it.

Amazon is amazing for returns, you print out a RMA and put it in the box and UPS will come with a shipping label and ship it back to Amazon at their expense, you just can't any better than that. I really just wanted another unit but it wasn't an option because they said it was out of stock, but the Website shows one unit.

So I don't know what I am going to do, I might just go to a thrift store and see what is available, I have seen them in the past as little as $10 for a nice JVC player.

In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir
In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir
by Richard B. Cheney
Price: $25.44
395 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars My kind of book, October 6, 2011
As much of what I read, my wife bought me the book, she gets out more than I do and she is always on the lookout for a book that I may like. I like all books about the running of our country and that is an easy shot for her to pick me up a book like this one. I have read about many of the Administrations that have run our country and I love to see the decisions they make and on what bases they make them. It doesn't matter to me if they are Democrats or Republicans.

A book review in this venue is a chance for people who are considering a book to take advice from people that have read the book, although I see very little of that, with these kind of books people are more likely to be out to make some kind of political view known. So I usually try to consider the people who would enjoy the book and those that shouldn't waste their money or time. But with Cheney it is pretty cut and dry, for the most part people either love him or hate him, I am not sure why so many people make him out to be Darth Vader, just the way it is. So if your a fan of Cheney this will probably be a good read, it is in his voice, his usual calm never over the top style. You could not particularly like him but have a more open mind if presented evidence to change your mind, you probably will enjoy the book. Of course then their are the people who want to throw something at the TV when he is on, probably not a good investment for you and of course the people like me that just love to read about government, you should like the book quite well.

I found some of the negative reviews troubling. Not because they were negative, that is fine and a personal opinion but for some of the reasons. A few said he was out for revenge with this book, I didn't find that to be the case at all, he seems to really enjoy working with capable people and isn't afraid to praise them. He didn't agree with secretary Rice's State department to many time but I saw no malice in the way he expressed his disagreement and it was never at a personal level. For someone that could have stayed at Haliberton and made 20 to 30 million a year for a whole lot less headache, for those that said he made so much money as VP is really missing the point, he already had more money than he could ever spend. He became VP because he loves his country, much the same reason that all VP's take the job which is always a thankless position. Bush did tell Cheney before he accepted to run for VP that he would be quite in the loop and he valued his opinion, Bush was a man of his word, he may not have always agreed with Cheney but Cheney always had his chance to sway the President to his way of thinking, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, make no mistake Cheney was in no way in front of Bush, he was the President and Cheney respected that as much as any one person could. What it did allow Bush to do is leave something in the capable hands of Cheney and he knew that it would get done to a high degree of professionalism.

Cheney handled as we all did the bad behavior of our soldiers, that so seldom happens, with disdain and took measures to ensure it wouldn't happen again, of course you never can predict what will happen in the field when your in Washington and insulted from the situation. This is why it is so important to have good people on the ground to report the true nature of a situation.

Cheney had to have had some savvy to obtain the position of Chief of Staff for President Ford when he was in his early 30's and Secretary of Defense at a young age, that doesn't happen because you have a pretty face, he must have been quite effective. He did bounce back and forth between Public and Private sector, which I think is a good thing, career politicians don't seem to have the same sense of reality as someone who has real world experience.

I hope this helps someone with their decision to buy or not buy the book, I hate buying a book that I just don't like, I won't mention what those are, it would be inappropriate for this review.

Yes: Live at Montreux 2003
Yes: Live at Montreux 2003
DVD ~ Jon Anderson
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $8.19
38 used & new from $3.30

4.0 out of 5 stars View of a Yes fan, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Yes: Live at Montreux 2003 (DVD)
Since 1970, I have been a huge Yes fan, through the bad times and good. With Yes fans that can vary a lot, one person's cealing is anothers floor kind of thing. I read only the 1 star reviews which I often do. Yes, these are men past their prime, but this band even today can out play any of the crap I see and hear today. Anyone expecting to hear Siberian Khatru with the same energy they played with in 1972 is just a dreamer, but it is still damn good, one of my favorite songs ever, the Close to the Edge album is a classic as every Yes fan will attest to.

I am 66, recently because of time constraint I played just Siberian Khatru for a 19 year old that has only hear some of the radio things, mostly Owner of a Lonely heart I suppose, they don't seem to play Roudabout any more a much better Yes song. When it was over, he leaned forward and said Wow, that was all he said and I know what he meant, that is what I said the first time I heard a Yes song properly.

I was at the 35th Anniversary Songs from Tsongas and if you know me you will see us in the second row having a hell of a good time. I was excited because we were there, but Live at Montreux 2003 is a much better video energy wise, they were tired from being on the road straight for just about 2 years, but that didn't stop the 10,000 or so people there from having a great time. We were well represented, my son-in-law and grandson were also there, did my heart good that they like good music. In any event, the video from the concert really showed how tired they were, I still like it but you know they are human, even though sometimes they seem to do inhuman musical things. I pretty much have all their videos, even the Japanese import that was impossible to get.

If your have never seen the band live, this is as good as any of them to start with and if your a Yes fan, it seems like the jury is still out, I liked it, it certainly is better than the present band that I call a tribute band to themself, without Jon and Rick to me it just isn't Yes. They haven't done any new material, where as Jon has written all kinds of new material. It would be nice to see Yes doing some of Jon's new material with Jon of course, but it isn't very likely, he is still pissed at the band for not calling him or visiting during his illness, with the exception on Rick, they have worked together recently and I would pay to see that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2012 5:27 AM PST

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War (The Politically Incorrect Guides)
by Phillip Jennings
Price: $14.11
89 used & new from $4.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Depending on your point of view, June 18, 2011
Let me start by saying that during the war I was somewhat against it, not for any ideological reason other than I find war objectionable. Now I understand that war as objectionable as it may be can not be avoided.

I grew up in Massachusetts, almost enough said. My father was as close as one can get to a communist without actually having a card that said so. A big union guy and considered anyone patriotic a flag waver. As I grew older and started reading and understanding the world, I realized that socialism was in theory good but had no real world application and lent itself to a totalitarianism and was way less advantages than our capitalistic concept. Which for me was a pretty big turnaround. Being Jewish and from Massachusetts didn't put me in high regard, especially within my immediate and extended family. But I was becoming slowly a conservative.

I was drafted and spent two years in Uncle Sam's Army, my experience was one that gave me some real understanding of how the world of politics worked.

Just as a little background. I always like reading the 1 star reviews, which I did. I found them predictable and wonder if some of them even read the book and just wanted to weigh in. I am an avid reader and have read many books directly about and indirectly about the Viet Nam era and the war. I found this book to be very accurate and matching up with others who have written about the subject. I like how he went all the way back to the Eisenhower days and I must agree that the only President that really handled the situation correctly was Nixon. Yes, we did win the war only to be lost again by the senseless Congress not funding the South Viet Namese forces that could have easily have kept up their part of the bargain. Some of that I feel was Nixon trying to be diplomatic, he should have bombed them to submission not just signing a useless peace treaty. But that is politics and he was having his own problems. Unlike others who want to distance themselves from Nixon, I think he was a pretty good President and was railroaded out of office on political lines, let's face it they all were doing it, they just got caught. Politics is still dirty business, but the rewards are huge, a short time in the Congress and you can retire with royal benefits.

Bottom line, I found this book well researched and well written. If you have an open mind at all, if your mind is already made up, don't bother. By the way I also thought Clinton was a pretty good President. Given the tools by Reagun, he actually balanced the budget and on that path we would have had no debt by now, where did it all go wrong.

I like Ron Paul but for his stand on foreign affairs, it would be nice if the world were such a great place that we didn't need to get involved in conflicts. Yes we put ourselves in the middle of things and it is always debatable if we should, in case of the Viet Nam war as I think today, it was the right thing to do, just botched for so many years that people got sick of it and as such put Nixon in a bad place to be able to end it right, he still could have done it and the world would be different if he had.

Keysands Live Organic Water Kefir Grains (Crystals, Tibicos)
Keysands Live Organic Water Kefir Grains (Crystals, Tibicos)
Offered by Florida Sun Kefir
Price: $9.75
2 used & new from $9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent seller, June 11, 2011
I have tried milk grains that I hated it tasted like sour cream, not a big fan of drinking sour cream. I did try other sellers and Keysand is the best for a couple of reasons. First he sent more than 4 tablespoons of grains, meaning I could go right ahead and make kefir without growing some more.

I was able to use the formula as he sent it which was:

4 cups of water
4 Tablespoons of sugar
4 tablespoons of grains

I also added some raisins and strawberry for additional flavor. I was going to let it go 48 hours but I noticed it was bubbly and probably ready after about 34 hours so I harvested the kefir and it is great. Probably the most refreshing drink I ever had, I drink lots of water and now it seems to miss a little something.

What I don't know because I am new to this is how much should you drink a day and I suspect like everything that is good for you, you can overdo it. Now I have to get my wife to try it, she looks at it as a science project and I guess in a way it is.

I highly reccommend this seller for for your Kefir water grains and I highly reccommend kefir, try it you will like it.

Barry
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2015 4:31 AM PDT

Chef's Choice 310 Compact Diamond Hone Sharpener
Chef's Choice 310 Compact Diamond Hone Sharpener
Price: $44.12
29 used & new from $13.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I got a bad one, April 21, 2011
I have had this item for 2 years or there abouts and I have yet to get a knife sharp using it. I keep trying, I read the directions over and over, I know I am not doing anything wrong in the operation. I can spend 20 minutes or more on one knife and it is no sharper than when I began. I don't mind the 2o minutes, I assumed that for the price, it would take longer than a more professional sharpener, but I want a sharp knife when I am finished, it just doesn't do it, if I was more secure in knife sharpening and not blaming myself, I would have returned it. When I see those chefs on TV work those knives, I realize how dull mine it, I have good knife techinque, I just don't have a good knife, in fact some of the knives actually have a worse cutting edge than before I tried to sharpen them. I don't think I will try another sharpener, I just don't have that much money to waste, I guess I will just put up with my dull knives and use my Steel, which does work, but of course doesn't put an edge on a blade.

The Best of the Cosby Show
The Best of the Cosby Show
DVD ~ Bill Cosby
Offered by drum_video_games
Price: $4.99
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars They just don't make them like this anymore, April 19, 2011
This review is from: The Best of the Cosby Show (DVD)
I don't think we ever missed a show during its long run. The very first night it was on, my wife said "I never heard you laugh like that" and in deed it did hit me just right. It of course is not all just funny a lot of the shows had a very serious side, isn't that life amoung all the seriousness of life there are those funny moments.

I am a big fan of old tv from "The Honeymooners" to "The Cosby show", in my opinion the only great show in the last 15 years or so has been "Everybody loves Raymond", I have the whole series on DVD and it was really expensive $40 a season, but worth it.

Since I got this "Best of Cosby show", I have seen each episode 3 or 4 times, I seem to be able to watch them over and over and they don't get old.

Having said that, much like the first "Mary Tyler Moore" I got that was a compilation, I bought the whole series so that first one was kind of a waste and I gave it away to a friend, I don't think she ever watched it. I see that happening with this series, there is no way I am not going to get the whole run.

I have always been a Cosby fan, ever since I heard his first record when I was in College and I continue to appreciate his work, I thought he did a great job on "Kids say the funniest things", he really has a knack with children.

As much as I like the DVD, I would not recommend to someone that liked the show, forget about the best of and go right for Season 1.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Seventh Season
The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Seventh Season
DVD ~ Mary Tyler Moore
Price: $12.40
34 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll take what I can get, November 21, 2010
Boy it is obvious that people are just not too happy with Fox and yes it was a little wait for season 7, but worth the wait. I did get an email from Amazon stating if I wanted the elements not included in the copy I had, it was available to me, frankly it didn't mean as much to me as it seems to mean to a lot of people, I didn't bother.

All TV shows must end, you run out of things to write about and it just gets stale. I think they got out at just the right time, there was a touch of looking back which is always the kiss of death, I always think when they do that, it is a show not worth watching, but not as bad as a lot of shows. Having said that, there is still some really funny episodes with a couple of stinker. The last scene that everyone thought was so great didn't do a thing for me, maybe because I saw it back when, we never missed a show and planned out Saturday night around Mary, Lou and company. The not so typical Mary party where Georgette has a baby is a killer, I watch that one over and over. The one with Ted being hit on by a news reporter may be the funnest one since the Election/Snowstorm one from the first season. The writing for the most part throughout the 7 years remained very high and remains for me one of the all time great sit coms and wish they produced things like this now a days, the last good one was "Everyone Loves Raymond", I have that whole series as well, it was a lot more money than MTM, one thing good about the old series, not only are they great but they are cheaper to buy.

I guess the long and the short of it is, if you liked the first 6 seasons, buy it, it is certainly worth the money. I have been lucky, I haven't had any technical problems with any of the series I have purchased. Now if only they would release season 5 and 6 of the Bob Newhart show from Chicago.

Marcato Atlas Wellness 150 Pasta Maker, Stainless Steel
Marcato Atlas Wellness 150 Pasta Maker, Stainless Steel
Price: $69.91
150 used & new from $51.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, July 12, 2009
I had been making home made pasta and it was quite good but I had the hardest time getting it thin enough, I could but it was just so much work. I posed a question to my cooking group and they said get some kind of pasta machine. They all had recommendations but basically only two, the Atlas Original and the Imperza. As I researched them, there didn't seem to be much difference between them, both high quality and both made in Italy. I bought the Atlas because it had free shipping on Amazon and the Impreza didn't and the Impreza was not supplied by Amazon but another supplier through Amazon. Amazon has a such a great return policy, they even pay for the shipping should you have to return it. So the decision had been made and I ordered it.

In the mean time, I went to work designing a system to address everyone's complaint about any of the manual pasta makers, that is the clamp and the necessity to have two people. I don't want my wife in the same town when I make pasta, it looks like flour wars when I am through, but it is all cleaned up by the time she comes back.

I bought a board at Walmart for $[...] and I had everything else I needed. I hope this picture comes through if not I am also going to give the actual address that can be viewed in your browser.
[...]

With the saving on the shipping I bought Cooks Illustrated Pasta and Noodle instruction book, in my life time I would never get through all these recipes. Bascially I use their recipe for pasta, 3 cups of APF and 3 eggs, today I used 4 cups of flour and 4 eggs, simple enough, the extra cup was whole wheat, I have never done this before, so I don't know how it will work, I think it will be good. Whole wheat is somewhat harder to work with, but I suspect you would get the knack after a couple of trys.

I like working with the dough so this is just what I wanted and it looks like it will get passed down, really built well. If you want a pasta maker and don't mind hand making the pasta as opposed to the machines that basically mix the pasta and extrude the pasta, this is a very nice choice. I haven't tried the cheaper ones, it is possible you could get lucky, but I wouldn't mess around and get the real deal, you won't be sorry.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 7:31 AM PDT