Profile for Marc > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marc RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Comfort Seats C3B4R250 Deluxe Molded Wood Round Closed Front with Cover
Comfort Seats C3B4R250 Deluxe Molded Wood Round Closed Front with Cover
Price: $18.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the same color pictured, October 31, 2014
Not exactly the color in the picture, which looks like a pale yellow. This toilet seat (Citron Yellow) is actually a brighter yellow, but it works somewhat, although it contrasts with the toilet color more than I would like. I think the Harvest Gold would be too dark. I gave it four stars because, otherwise, it is as advertised and installs easily. I will try to update this review as to how well it ages.

The quick release hinge connections on the Bemis toilets are better for ease in removing the seat when cleaning, but I couldn't find a yellow in that brand at a reasonable price (3x the Comfort Seats) at Amazon.
Comment Comment | Permalink

All Is Lost
All Is Lost
DVD
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Our Man in an Uncommon Movie (3.5-stars), October 6, 2014
This review is from: All Is Lost (Amazon Instant Video)
Spoiler Alert:
Puzzling that there are almost as many 1-star reviews as 5-star reviews here. It was not a perfect film but I found it exciting, could easily relate to it and connect with the character. Robert Redford is a great actor and was able to pull this off, expressing what he was thinking without the benefit of dialogue, except for reading the note at the beginning that he placed in a sealed bottle and threw into the sea near the end of the movie. I listened to it again, trying to tease out its meaning and clues to the many unknowns.

Redford has such stamina, at 77, doing most, if not all of the scenes himself. I loved the actor's stoicism, lack of panic, ability to "think on his feet" to quickly come up with ideas and "jury rig" solutions to the mishaps and bad luck events as they occurred. I know many of his solutions and preparedness were flawed. I'm no sailing expert and I'm sure he made many mistakes, but I believe that was not the point of the film. I think the message conveyed was that he thought he did his best throughout life, but also felt it was not enough. He tried to do the "right" things by others, but believed he somehow came up short, failing to achieve or fulfill his best intentions.

My biggest surprises were his sailing ineptitude, attaching his life raft to a sinking boat and then falling asleep, his log book and maps never getting wet, lighting that fire in the raft, which actually wound up saving him in the end. It's like he was doubling down on his survival, all or nothing type of action. I think his lack of sailing knowledge and ability may have been done purposely to somehow give us more keys to understanding the trip and his life. Also, very poignant, was his letting go, shown by his resignation at the end, that it was over for him (All Is Lost), by letting himself slip under the water and slowly descending into the sea. I'm glad it ended as it did.

I did make the mistake of viewing the film again after reading the many reviews here and on IMDB, especially those who have had sailing experience and expertise. Instead of giving more insight to the story, character and motivation, the second viewing only served to diminish the film in my eyes, mostly due to all the technical errors that I was now aware off, his apparent lack of judgment and credibility. On the first viewing I would have given it 4-stars and after the second viewing it dropped to three, so 3.5 stars for this film is about right. It's a shame because it had so much potential if more attention was paid to detail, the story, realism and some character background divulged to enrich the experience.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Intense Dark Squares, Midnight Reverie, 4.12 oz., (Pack of 4)
Price: $12.00
11 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars What a chunk a chocolate!, August 8, 2014
The upper limit for eating dark chocolate for me is 86% Cacao; anything above this is cooking chocolate as far as I'm concerned. I often alternate between this and the 72% Cacao chocolate, which is a little sweeter, but you still get the same sensation of eating great dark chocolate. Also the 72% comes in 4.87 ounce bags vs. 4.12 ounces for the 86% bag. For me, it's very close to call but I think I choose the 72% more times than the 86% cacao bags. They're both great for dark chocolate lovers, thus the 5 stars and I recommend trying them both. By the way, I read somewhere that it is not good practice to put chocolate in the freezer. A cool dark place is sufficient to store it. If you must store it for a long time or if the ambient environment is very warm, then it goes in the refrigerator, but not the freezer. My mouth is watering writing this review, so the next thing I'm going to do is get myself one of those individually wrapped chocolate squares, or maybe even two. Enjoy!!!

Casio Men's AW49HE-2AV "Ana-Digi" Sport Watch
Casio Men's AW49HE-2AV "Ana-Digi" Sport Watch
Price: $13.78
19 used & new from $12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good for about 3-years, June 11, 2014
Be aware that this watch uses a Silver Oxide (371/370) battery with a lifespan of about 3-years if the battery was "fresh" when you purchased the watch. Forget about changing the battery and maintaining the water resistance. I succeeded in changing the battery, but after working about 30 minutes trying to get the o-ring back in the groove and the cover on, I gave up. The o-ring was stretched a bit with age and you would need a new one too with a replacement battery to complete the full reassembly.

The watch is cheap enough to throw it out out when the battery dies. Besides, after 3 years the watch band becomes brittle and usually cracks. If you want a more reliable watch with a longer lasting battery, buy a Lithium model. They cost more, but I have a Casio Lithium model for close to 10 years now and it's still running fine.

Bottom line: I was able to reassemble the watch with the new battery, sans o-ring, so it is not water resistant now, but it works.

Stay Dri Hearing Aid Dehumidifier
Stay Dri Hearing Aid Dehumidifier
Offered by LIBERTY Health Supply
Price: $13.00
4 used & new from $10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Surface Area Dehumidifier **with an important caveat**, June 1, 2014
This is a much larger Hearing Aid Dehumidifier than others I've owned or seen. The screw top is also superior to a press-on lid, as far as sealing out air and moisture. A big plus related to its size is it can hold more desiccant, thus, a larger surface area to absorb a more moisture and more effectively dry out your hearing aids. Also, because of a greater amount of desiccant material, the desiccant package needs far fewer "regenerations" in the microwave to dry it out. The only down side of the large size is when traveling, so I also own a smaller unit (Westone) for that purpose. For the home I highly recommend this larger unit to "dry out" your hearing aids.

Two caveats: Remember to open the battery door fully when storing your hearing aids in the container overnight and only keep the desiccant material in the microwave (regeneration) for no more than 25-30 seconds. You will most likely melt the desiccant container if you go for the full minute. In the unlikely case you feel it needs another regeneration, wait until it cools off and repeat the cycle.

If you don't leave the cap off for long periods of time, just enough time to put in or remove the hearing aids, this unit doesn't need regeneration often (easily a month or more).

Update 9/11/2014: There are two things many users seem to be doing that causes a melting problem with this product's desiccant container. They have to do with the instructions. This desiccator should only be "recharged" in the microwave for no more than 30 seconds (label inside lid cover states that) although, written instructions inside box and instructions on the box itself, incorrectly states "1 minute on high", which is much too long. Secondly, the cartridge must be cloth side up when placed in microwave, otherwise you will burn holes in it and some beads will fall out (this is correctly stated in the instructions, which I failed to read). Hope this helps, because otherwise it is a good dehumidifier for your hearing aids.

Fram CA10349 Extra Guard Panel Air Filter
Fram CA10349 Extra Guard Panel Air Filter
Price: $8.76
27 used & new from $6.97

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What you Pay for, June 1, 2014
As one other reviewer has already noted in his comment about this filter, it is apparently not quite the same quality as the OEM filter that came with the car. I have a 2012 Nissan Altima 4 cyl and it had a "Mann" air filter, which has approximately 106 pleats (give or take 1 or 2). Compare this to the "Fram" air filter for this model, which has a total of 84 pleats (same error range) or about 20% less than the original Mann filter.

I guess you have to take into account materials used, but I would think 20% more pleats equals more surface area to catch impurities. Although I don't think it's a big deal if you change the filter often, next time around I will buy the more expensive "Mann" to replace the "Fram" I bought, in about 10,000 miles.

Purple Hard Case Cover for LG Cosmos 3 VN251S+ Pen Stylus
Purple Hard Case Cover for LG Cosmos 3 VN251S+ Pen Stylus
Offered by ExtremeCases (USA Seller)
Price: $4.88

3.0 out of 5 stars How do you get to the Micro SD Card?, February 7, 2014
As others, I found the case attractive, somewhat protective of the phone and afforded a more secure way to hold the phone itself. On the negative size, to upload/download pictures or music from the phone's micro SD card, the rear case cover makes the card completely inaccessible. With the cover on, to access and remove the SD card you first have to remove the rear hard case and then the phone's rear cover. The rub is that it is very hard to remove the hard case cover, without breaking the tabs holding it on, unless your do it very gently, carefully nudging it off. My wife uses the phone a lot to take candid pictures and would like to remove the card easily to copy the photos to her computer. A work around is to use the USB/charger port on the phone, with driver software installed on the computer, enabling the USB connection to successfully upload/download SD card data/files. You can also backup your phone's contact list to the computer. With the exception of blocking access to the SD card, the case does what it's supposed to and is an attractive and protective addition to the phone.

Update-9/5/14: 7 months into ownership, my wife reports that the top part of the case won't stay on anymore. So I put a "spot" of Gorilla Glue on each of the four sides and pressed it back on. We'll see if stays on now. I didn't use that much glue that I couldn't pop it off again if I had to. I also lowered the rating to three stars.

Dorcy 41-1075 Wireless Motion Sensing LED Anywhere Light with Automatic Shut-Off, 15-Lumens, White Finish
Price: $12.16
4 used & new from $11.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Complete darkness seems to be a misnomer, January 21, 2014
I just received my Dorcy Motion Sensor and I'm a little disappointed, hence my 3-star rating. The instructions indicate, in two places (bold and underlined), that the "All Purpose Light only goes on in complete darkness! Test in a dark room or drawer." Well, that's not exactly true here. The light comes on with motion detected in late afternoon room light that I would compare to shade in its intensity. There's no way to adjust the photo cell's sensitivity. Also, batteries are not included (4 AA's), which I knew before I ordered, but I think it's prudent to state here if others miss this in the product write-up.

On the plus side, light is good for a hallway, near stairs, bathroom, etc. Light is bright enough without being too bright and seems to detect motion at the stated 180 degree angle, just comes on in low light situations in addition to "complete darkness". Light does shut off in 30 seconds or less, if no motion is detected, to conserve battery life. Installation seems easy enough for anyone, use mounting bracket as a template to drill holes for the screws. Maybe the threshold light level for "turn-on" is variable from unit to unit. I'll try to update this review after I've used it for awhile.

Bob's Red Mill Cereal Muesli,  4 - 18-Ounce Bags
Bob's Red Mill Cereal Muesli, 4 - 18-Ounce Bags
Price: $11.16
24 used & new from $11.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your complex carbohydrates, November 1, 2013
This is a great hearty breakfast choice especially when mixed with oatmeal (cooked separately) either the old fashioned type, which takes about 5 minutes in the microwave, or the rolled oats variety that I slow cook overnight. When mixing muesli with oatmeal I usually heat the muesli in the microwave with a little skim milk to cover for about 1 ½ - 2 minutes then mix it with cooked oatmeal adding cold skim milk, raisins, about a teaspoon of dark brown sugar (optional) and a dash of vanilla extract. This product is also great when mixed in with low fat yogurt and some fresh fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, etc.

I AM
I AM
DVD ~ Tom Shadyac
Price: $10.79
37 used & new from $6.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Are we in the worst or best of times?, March 28, 2013
This review is from: I AM (DVD)
In my opinion, it's too bad the content of the film's beautiful message and that of many of the viewer's comments here will be lost on most of the world's population. Too many people are filled with some of the very characteristics the film portrays as "what's wrong with the world"; greed, materialism, competitiveness and hate. I believe we are presently at our zenith, if you can call it that, as a species and will be on the decline from here on. The very skills and abilities that got us to this point as humans will be the source of our undoing and the raison d'être of our decline and perhaps, extinction. The Earth will go on very well without us, save for a super size asteroid, perhaps changed but it will reclaim itself and heal the damage we've done.

I found the film both inspiring and depressing. Inspiring in what could be and that there is some greatness and "good" in the world, but depressing in that there is much more evil, excess and greed. The way events are progressing, our destiny is probably fated to end badly. If you agree with the film's premise, you might say the human species will be part of a grand experiment that failed. Or, you may conclude it is all part of evolution, particularly of the human race and in the end was destined to be unsuccessful.

I give the film 5 stars for its goal in educating the people who watch it and its efforts to somehow turn things around. Compare and contrast the commentators in this film with our country's politicians (U.S.), corporate CEO's, the world's leaders and maybe some of your own acquaintances, all of whom collectively, have the power to change the world's direction. What a dismal thought this comparison is for most of us.

As you can see, I am not optimistic about the human race and its future. Those who are the "haves", rather than the "have-nots", will probably look on the film's makers, commentators and those who agree with its message as no more than a bunch of "bleeding hearts." I think the film's detractors are wrong and guided by their own avarice, materialism and lack of compassion for others. Their hearts are closed and their minds blinded. Funny thing is, the film did demonstrate most convincingly that the heart, rather than the brain, is the seat of our feelings and empathy.

If you look at history with complete honesty and objectivity, then you must conclude that now, overall, most of its populace are in the worst of times. Are we inherently "good", or "bad"? We're all on the Titanic with a few in First Class, some in Second, and too many in Third Class. This time there are no lifeboats at all, so ironically, everyone will go down with the ship if and when disaster hits. Will we be able to turn in time and/or is it too late, even if we discover "what we can do about it" and recognize the inevitability of events if nothing is done?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8