Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Kirnex > Reviews

Browse

Kirnex's Profile

Customer Reviews: 126

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kirnex RSS Feed (Virginia Beach, VA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Robelle 3748-02 Deluxe 4-foot x 8-foot Ice Equalizer Air Pillow for Above Ground Winter Pool Covers, 2-Pack
Price: $28.94
5 used & new from $24.60

5.0 out of 5 stars These are huge...and PERFECT for closing your inground pool for winter!, December 1, 2015
Our pool guy advised us, some years ago, that we might prefer the vinyl covers for covering our in-ground pool for the winter, and he was right--we can literally swim two hours after we open, unlike all our neighbors who opted for the "walk-on" covers. The drawback to the vinyl surface-skimming covers is that they stretch over time, and you need a way to be able to create an airtight seal--which can be difficult if you have strange curves and steps. This is where these pillows work their magic!

Filled with water, these pillows allow you to keep your vinyl cover tight and prevent any contaminants from seeping under it. It is as wide as standard pool steps, which is awesome. Simply lay the cover inside the area of your pool's steps, and over the vinyl cover. Then fill it, in place, with water--not completely, but enough to anchor it well and have it conform to the area you place it in---it will conform to the area perfectly, and leave your pool crystal clean and perfect the entire off-season. Nothing will blow these out of place or disturb them, and they won't move around, even if you get a strong rain and these end up submerged. They are tough, sturdy, well-made, and reliable.

Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine
Cricut Explore Air Wireless Cutting Machine
Price: $236.89
24 used & new from $220.00

2.0 out of 5 stars There are a number of REALLY aggravating issues to consider before buying, December 1, 2015
I purchased this item because I was really excited to be able to cut out my own designs. I've had it about two weeks, and I have noticed some issues that I think you might want to consider before buying:

**You must use the cricut ONLINE design interface, which is (putting it kindly) absolutely TERRIBLE!

Firstly, it is woefully unreliable, not at ALL user-intuitive, and otherwise just a complete PITA. For example:

a) I'm quite proficient with photoshop and graphics design, and use it to create designs from which I have removed all the unnecessary backgrounds and unwanted materials, and have optimized for the cricut online interface. I upload graphics in .png format. The lag in uploading is ridiculous--half the time, the program errors out and tells me to call a 1-800 number for assistance. The other half, it takes so long to upload my >1mb graphics, that I could go make a cup of coffee while I wait.

b) The program is completely UN-user friendly. When you purchase something, there is no easy way to access the image if you don't use it right away. Returning to it, if you haven't saved the project, is a nightmare. I purchased an image meant to be used as a holiday card, but the project that featured it was a festive picture to frame. I didn't want to use it right away, but when I returned to use it, it took me a half-hour to find it. I used all the search tags any reasonable person would use, even selected "purchased images", and it never came up. Why isn't there a user portal that will show everything I purchase? Why, when I query my purchases, does it not show up, yet a bunch of junk I didn't purchase does??

c)YOU CANNOT SAVE PROJECTS YOU LIKE FROM THE SITE! Why don't I have the ability to save my favorite projects? I should be able to save or "favorite" any projects featured on the site for future use, rather than have to remember how I found them in the first place. There is also no ability to "favorite" images you like.

d) You also really cannot modify site projects! Sure, you can choose to not make a layer or two, but that's about it. You can only change text on the personalized projects, but even that is a complete pain to do!

e) I paid the $100 to buy an annual subscription, only to discover that most of the DECENT designs on the site aren't even part of the subscription, and need to be purchased separately! WTH. The worst part is when you find a project you like, then discover that some of the images it uses are covered in your subscription, but others need to be purchased separately! You'd think they'd have a way of perusing and finding projects that only use images offered in your subscription, but...don't count on it.

f) The program often returns spontaneously to the main page, or just hangs. More than once, right in the middle of preparing a project to cut, the program has crashed or returned to the main page. The program hangs and crashes A LOT.

g) I have to be online to use the program, yet you still have to install a plug in to your computer for it. Why? Why is there not a way to use the program without internet? STUPID. Worse than stupid.

h) Don't bother trying to align your project until you hit "go" to send it to the machine, because it just resets the images to the top. This is, by far, one of the most ridiculous and frustrating things about the program. I have spent a lot of time setting up the images on the project page just exactly as they should be cut, only to have it move all the images move to the upper left corner just prior to sending to the device.

i) One of the most egregious oversights to me, and evidence that the people at CRICUT are completely oblivious to user needs (other than their disaster of a design "program") is the fact that THERE IS AN APP FOR IPHONE/IPAD, BUT NOT ANDROIDS OR OTHER MOBILE PLATFORMS! To me, this is nonsense--don't these people realize that android users are, far and away, highly creative individuals who need to be able to access this "web only" app from their mobiles? I can't stand that I cannot use this program on my tablet. Most of my creative design work tends to be on my tablet these days. Overlooking Android users, particularly, just seems extremely stupid--if the ovewhelming expanse of independent apps available for and by android users is not an indication of its preference as a mobile platform for creative people, I don't know what is. I can't imagine any big company making the mistake of offering programs exclusively for macs (although I'm sure there are a few, so please don't waste either of our times, techies, leaving comments naming them--I'm not an Apple person, so I really don't care) at the expense of missing out on the PC market, so why leave out Android users? It's especially insulting when there is a sea of open-source programming and resources to work with.

j) In the weeks I've had this item, I cannot tell you how many times I've gone to the Design Space, perused the "Featured Projects", clicked on one to make it, and seen that the images required for the project are "NOT AVAILABLE". SERIOUSLY? Does anyone actually RUN this website? How the heck can you post a seasonal or featured project and NOT offer the required images AT ALL? Tease, then buzzkill. It honestly makes me wonder if the people at Cricut have ANY idea what is on their site at all. When images become no longer available, the site should have all projects featuring those images removed as well. It's irritating as hell.

Now....About the machine:

a) The machine sometimes cuts off or starts running on its own. I've had it less than two weeks. It's not supposed to be doing that, is it? It's especially frustrating when it does it mid-cut. Maybe I got a lemon, but it's really aggravating and a waste of resources and time.

b) The cutting blade that was included with the machine lasted for about eight cuts before it started failing. I understand that the company wants you to buy more, but c'mon. Eight cuts? So...be prepared to buy a replacement pack of blades when you purchase this.

Also, regarding the tacky plastic cutting mats...they are pretty annoying because you cannot wash them and they collect things like dog hair and such very easily. I've also had delicate cutwork ruined because it's stuck to the mat (I used the recommended mat for the paper I was using), and ripped during removal. What's really annoying is that, in other places, the mat doesn't stick at all after about four uses. Grrr.

All that said, I love the potential of this machine, or machines like it. But the online program is just the element that completely kills the deal. That, and it turning on and off a lot--when it spontaneously starts to cut a project out when nothing is sent to it, it makes a shrieking sound and the parts move and sound stuck...it's pretty awful. If I hadn't paid for the subscription, I would just return it and call it a day. I might have to get a replacement anyhow, but I honestly think it would behoove any potential purchaser of this item to check out the Silhouette or other machines like this before actually purchasing THIS one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2015 3:45 PM PST

Alvin French Curve Set of 8
Alvin French Curve Set of 8
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $19.65
22 used & new from $19.60

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is...WOW., November 16, 2015
I LOVE this set of French curves! I consider this to be one of the best deals I've found on Amazon, and I shop this site daily (I hate going shopping in stores and do as much shopping as I can online). I use these for sewing and drafting my own patterns, as well as for many other crafts--paper crafts, woodworking, painting, etc. These, along with a bendable ruler I have, are essential tools in my craft toolbox. They are well made, easy to use, and can't beat this price!

Scotch Postal Wrapping Paper, 30 Inches x 30 Feet (7901)
Scotch Postal Wrapping Paper, 30 Inches x 30 Feet (7901)
Price: $5.49
11 used & new from $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this paper!, November 16, 2015
Used this paper with a sizzix die cutter to cut many leaves to make decorations for my baby sister's fall Maine wedding. I had to iron the lengths and cut them to fit the size of the die cut plates, but the paper is sturdy, smooth, well-made and perfect for paper crafts! I have ordered several more rolls just to have on hand for wrapping xmas gifts...with a sprig of pine and some raffia twine, it will make gorgeous, rustic wrapping...very classy.

Sizzix Accessory - Cutting Pads, Extended, 1 Pair
Sizzix Accessory - Cutting Pads, Extended, 1 Pair
Price: $13.68
39 used & new from $11.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Work as expected, but considering how quickly they wear out, should cost less..., November 16, 2015
I bought a sizzix Bigkick and was disappointed to see that it only came with the regular size cutting plates (which makes no sense, since the whole reason for buying the Bigkick is to use it with big dies!). I used these to cut leaves and pinecones out of brown paper for my sister's wedding. After using the plates for about twenty runs, I was dismayed to see little white flecks of plastic attached to the diecuts...After about thirty runs, there was a white powder embedded in the die cuts. I had to use a heatgun to reseal the plastic every ten cuts or so, which required a lot of down time for cooling, resealing, etc. So...not impressed. Also, they buckle and become bent way too easily. This was another reason I had to use my heat gun--to CAREFULLY reheat the length of the plates so I could push them black into a flattened position, then cover with heavy books so they would cool flat. Lame.

Sizzix Bigz Die - Tattered Florals by Tim Holtz
Sizzix Bigz Die - Tattered Florals by Tim Holtz
Price: $13.95
18 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A High-quality die that can be used for so many things!, November 16, 2015
Love this die! I purchased it for my baby sister's wedding, but we ended up not using it because she went with a more rustic theme. So I decided to use it with Christmas papers and have made some adorable tags and Christmas cards for the holidays. This is a beautiful die--the resulting cuts are clean, detailed, and because of the various shapes, you really can make a large variety of designs with it. Well worth the money.

Bonded Nylon Sewing Thread 1500 Yard Size #69 T70 Color White for Outdoor, Leather, Bag, Shoes, Canvas, Upholstery
Offered by Canshansimita
Price: $6.69
22 used & new from $6.69

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite multi-purpose thread, November 16, 2015
Purchased this to use on new cushions I'm sewing for my outdoor furniture, but I'm finding this has so many other uses. I have used it to make dangling decorations for my daughter's upcoming wedding next September (I've simply been cutting white vellum birds and lace designs with my Sizzix die cutter and making nine-foot lengths of streamers with the designs glued on in various increments).

The thread is nice and thick, sturdy and silky/shiny white, so it really makes any item you use it on high-quality. The price is terrific, and it never seems to run out. Definitely recommend.

Expo Vis-A-Vis Wet-Erase Overhead Transparency Markers, Chisel Tip, 4-Pack, Assorted Colors
Price: $4.57
35 used & new from $4.57

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT for making your own labels....see my review for how, November 16, 2015
Great price for a very reliable product. I have purchased white dry-erase film by-the-roll here as well, and use these pens to label all my craft boxes and pantry jars. I love these pens because, unlike dry-erase pens, you must use a wet cloth to erase these. Perfect for labeling items that get picked up and moved around a lot. Love them.

ArtBin Yarn Drum 12-inches round  by 12-3/4-inches high, Periwinkle
ArtBin Yarn Drum 12-inches round by 12-3/4-inches high, Periwinkle

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome purchase...This would be a terrific Xmas gift for any knitter or crocheter!, November 16, 2015
I am so glad I bought this bag! Firstly, it holds so much! I tend to re-wrap my skeins into balls once I buy them, and this bag has, thus far, fit nine softball-sized balls of yarn, with plenty of room left in it for a project-in-progress. But there are two other things I really love about it:

1) the top of it has multiple silicone-reinforced slits to run your working yarn
through, quiche is especially great for multi-colored knitting on the go.
2) the side zipper-pouch is removable! It isn't connected to the handles, as it might at first appear. This, not only can you store tons of crochet hooks and sock-length knitting needles in it, but you can detach it and use it with other bags because it has a clip attached to it.

The color is more lavender than periwinkle, but I love it. It's very well made, sturdy, has tons of room, and just plain great--and, at this price, you really can buy them for several people!

1 STAINLESS STEEL SCALPEL KNIFE HANDLE #3 WITH 20 STERILE BLADES #11 (DDP QUALITY)
Offered by DDP INSTRUMENTS
Price: $4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better for crafting than X-acto Knives, November 16, 2015
Why didn't I try this before?

I love paper crafts, and recently bought a book where the author recommended using scalpel to cut paper shapes. Wow....what a difference from all those expensive X-acto blades! I'm not sure why X-acto can't put out an equally reliable blade, but these scalpel blades are DURABLE. Every once and a while, I knick my metal ruler with these as I'm cutting and, unlike X-actos, it doesn't mangle the edge with these scalpel blades. Less expensive, yet more reliable...no rocket science there. Buy these instead!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13