Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "El Jefe 45" RSS Feed (NYC)

Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest books I've ever read, August 13, 2014
One of the greatest books I've ever read. That a book about rowing can be so well written is a testament to either the sport of rowing or the author. Probably both.

Coaching Confidential: Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches
Coaching Confidential: Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches
by Gary Myers
Price: $18.85
95 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Reviewer Extremely Well Read in Football, November 18, 2012
I think the prior two reviews were fluff without any details and were made to help inflate the sales of the book. Both reviewers have never actually reviewed anything else on Amazon and I think are bogus.

I picked this book up because Peter King, the best writer on the NFL, suggested it last week in his column. Had I realized that the writer, Gary Meyers, was the author of "The Catch", I would not have bothered. Reading "The Catch" was horribly frustrating. It was the second worst football book I have ever read. I had never read a book that was so disjointed. Gary Meyers has no idea how to frame a story and has no idea how to sequence his anecdotes, what to talk about when and how to wrap up a point.

I just read the first chapter on Sean Payton and Meyers has obviously not gotten any better in telling his stories. I could sense the same disjointedness from "The Catch" right away. He jumps around like my 6 year old son trying to tell me a story from school. When talking about Sean Payton he immediately starts off with the meetings with Roger Goodell and the suspensions, then he goes back to talk about Sean Payton's "rise" 10 pages in. But then it really doesn't talk about his rise much at all, it just jumps around to this that and the other thing and when something actually got interesting, I was shocked when I turned the next page and saw that the chapter ended. He just starts writing about whatever comes in his mind and really uses a lot of filler and information already out in the public domain to fill up the book.

I'm sure there are some nice tidbits in this book. I'm sure I will learn something I didn't know before. But heaving to read the whole book to find those things is not a great use of my time. If the subject matter was different and not about football there is no way I would be able to finish this book and it would have gotten 1 star.

I don't pretend to be a genius when it comes to reading or writing but I have read the following books on football:
Next Man Up
Johnny U
Johnny Unitas (worst football book ever)
The Catch (Second worst football book ever)
Friday Night Lights
Peter King: Monday Morning Quarterback
War Room
When Pride Still Mattered
The Ones That Hit the Hardest
And this one. I'm only done reading one chapter but I'm already sure this will either be the second or third worst book I've read on football.

If you don't believe me, read the reviews on "the Catch". Majority of the reviews were 3 stars but I'm sure there will be a lot of complaints about his writing style.

Peter King - you owe me $17. And as a great writer, should be ashamed of suggesting this book in your column.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 12:09 PM PST

Big Bouffant (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
Big Bouffant (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
by Kate Hosford
Edition: Library Binding
Price: $13.10
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Awesome!!!!, January 14, 2011
This is quite possibly the greatest children's book ever written. Well, maybe that's a bit much. Maybe just the second best.

Great illustrations.

The book does a great job in teaching kids that their own individuality and believing in themselves is not only ok, but important.

If I had enough hair I'd make my own bouffant.

Active SI Belt (Medium (hip size 34"-42"), Black)
Active SI Belt (Medium (hip size 34"-42"), Black)
Offered by Active Ortho
Price: $46.00
3 used & new from $45.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, August 4, 2010
This belt did not help my Pirformis pain. Add to that, I tried to return it, within the return policy, and nobody at the company answered the phone or ever got back to me. Bad people.

Blood, Sweat & Chalk: The Ultimate Football Playbook: How the Great Coaches Built Today's Game
by Tim Layden
Price: $16.84
96 used & new from $0.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Historical Context of Football Strategy, August 4, 2010
This is a great book if you know a great deal about football. The book does a great job in tying together the major changes in the game throughout history. The book has been written well and is very entertaining.

Sh*t My Dad Says
Sh*t My Dad Says
by Justin Halpern
Price: $13.86
630 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest Book I ever read, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
Hysterical. I tried reading it on the subway and I was laughing so hard I was afraid people were going to think I was crazy (Justin's father is thinking "why do you care what other people think, Weenie?").

Justin is a funny guy and his father is so unbelievably blunt, he is hard to believe. The best part though, was as the book went on, you realized how much of a good guy Sam Halpern is and how much he loved his son and family.

A story of fatherhood from a man's man perspective.

The Catch: One Play, Two Dynasties, and the Game That Changed the NFL
The Catch: One Play, Two Dynasties, and the Game That Changed the NFL
by Gary Myers
59 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good subject, Bad format, October 22, 2009
The Catch is one of the most recognizable plays ever in the NFL. It is worth telling the story of the game and its key players.

Going into the details of Landry, Walsh, Montana, Pearson, Lott, White and everybody else added well to the story.

I have one large complaint, the book, in piecing together the histories of the characters, jumps around so badly, it is hard to remember where you are in the story. One page you are reading about where Ronnie Lott was on a play, the next you are reading about George Seiffert's life, the next about Drew Pearson's off field problems, the next the end of the game and then the page after that you are back into the middle of the play known as "the Catch."

My second complaint is the author goes out of his way to bring Danny White's deficiencies into a main theme. I'm not arguing that these deficiencies were there, just that the author almost demonizes him for them and I think stretches his blame unfairly.

Sports Illustrated Monday Morning Quarterback: A fully caffeinated guide to everything you need to know about the NFL
by Peter King
142 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Peter King is Good People, October 17, 2009
or at least it would seem from his writing. I read him religiously on Monday's at lunchtime. This book is basically excerpts from his column with some added lists. If you like Peter King's column, you will like the book. I remembered some of the columns and some were new to me. New or not you still get the same thing - insight into the NFL on a much more personal level. All of us that follow the NFL wish to some extent we could be part of it, be part of the decisions, hang out with the players, question the coaches and GM's. Peter is able to do that and then tells the story. It's the closest most of us will get.

Johnny Unitas: America's Quarterback
Johnny Unitas: America's Quarterback
by Lou Sahadi
72 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book Ever, November 30, 2007
The author of this book does little work and he basically wrote the same thing over again, "the greatest quarterback that ever lived threw an amazing pass for a touchdown to win the game and be a hero." no insight, barely any detail, glances over Unitas's private life. the worst.