Profile for LDB > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LDB RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Sony Alpha a7 / a7R Camera Screen Protector Anti-Bubble Ultra HD - Extreme Clarity & Touch Responsive Shield with Lifetime Free Replacements - Retail Packaging
Offered by New Tech Accessories
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing solution for a reluctant buyer., August 17, 2014
I don't like screen protectors on any of my devices. However I do worry about damage to my expensive cameras, so I did the needful and purchased the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield to cover my Sony A7r camera LCD. I am glad I did, this product is excellent. I highly recommend with the following caveats:

1. Watch their YouTube video on how to apply correctly, it's not as difficult and messy as you might think--just don't over spray !
2. Don't worry about how it looks during the first 24 hours--my first application looked pretty bad until I let it sit for 24 hours.
3. After 48 hours, I can hardly tell the screen protector is in place and I don't see any degradation to the LCD screen resolution at all.
4. I don't consider this a removable/reusable protector. From what I can tell its probably best to leave it in place once applied.

Time will tell how this product holds up over time. I will post an update after a few months of use. In the meantime, I'm purchasing another for my other camera too.

TheLees Mens Double Collar 3 Button 2 Tone Blazer Jacket
TheLees Mens Double Collar 3 Button 2 Tone Blazer Jacket
Offered by TheLees
Price: $59.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid my costly mistake. Contact manufacturer with your height & weight for proper size before you purchase this Item!, February 19, 2014
I highly recommend you contact the manufacturer with your measurements for proper sizing before you make a purchasing decision. This cut runs extremely small and short. I normally wear USA size medium/slim fit. I followed the posted size guidelines on Amazon and found the recommended large size coat I received to be much smaller and shorter than advertised. Additionally, the color is far lighter than the darker gray color depicted in the ad. An expensive mistake to be sure. I paid international shipping from South Korea and now I have to pay the international shipping fee to return the item.

Opteka RC-3 Wireless Remote Control for Sony Alpha A33, A55, A57, A65, A77, A99, NEX-5, NEX-6, NEX-7, A230, A330, A380, A390, A450, A500, A550, A560, A580, A700, A850, A900 (RMT-DSLR1 Replacement)
Offered by 47th Street Photo
Price: $7.95
5 used & new from $1.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Remote Control for the Sony Nex 6 camera., December 4, 2013
Perfect for the Sony Nex 6 camera.

Excellent value and can be easliy set up in seconds. Like many others have already mentioned, the instructions included with the Opteka RC-3 do not apply to the NEX 6. Rather, go to the camera's menu settings: Camera / Drive Mode /and scroll to select Remote Cdr....Make sure to pull off the plastic covering over the RC-3 remote control's battery and that's it. (To use the Flexible Spot focus feature on the NEX 6 camera with the remote, select your focus point and then depress the small 2S button on the remote control)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2014 9:17 PM PDT

Logitech Harmony Touch Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen - Black (915-000198)
Offered by Electronics Club
Price: $179.99
30 used & new from $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Up and operational in 15-20 minutes, November 18, 2012
I made the decision to purchase the Logitech Harmony Touch Remote with the hope that I could replace my current, very expensive ($400+ four years ago) well-regarded URC MX-980 remote, mainly because URC does not allow consumers to purchase their remote editor software. This means I had to pay a professional to set it up, then I had to pay a professional to come out to my house and reconfigure the remote every time I changed or added a new component to my entertainment system aka....ka-ching, ka-ching.

To my surprise, ( particularly after reading some of the comments posted here on Amazon.com) the Logitech Harmony Remote Touch more than meets my expectations and is truly a viable replacement for my expensive, high-maintenance URC MX-980 remote.

For me, it took all of 15-20 minutes to set up my Logitech Touch remote with all of my devices to include:
+ Navigate to the myharmony website and download Microsoft Silverlight, the Harmony web application via the Safari browser on a Mac Air, and create a logitech account
+ Add and configure all of my devices including: Apple TV, Sony TV, Sony BD, DirecTV HD DVR and a Denon Receiver
+ Set up six activities: Watch DirecTV, Watch Movie, Watch OTA TV, Listen to FM Radio, Listen to Satellite Radio, Watch Apple TV
+ Sync everything to my web account and Touch remote
+ Learn how to use the touch screen to swipe from activity to activity and to get to the component sub menus. (The touch screen seems to be pretty responsive too)

Later on, I spent another 30-45 minutes tinkering, reading the manual and on-line forums etc. to learn more about how to use the Remote and to learn the next level of customizations and configuration capabilities. I can see there is much more to this remote for me to explore and learn. However, I can't help being impressed with the fact that it took me only about 15-20 minutes of set-up effort to be fully operational with all of my components.

Good to know:

+ All was not perfect with my setup. I did have a few issues with remote/component confusion. Perhaps due to my own setup or operational inexperience or maybe the remote setup software had an error but the few times I found a component didn't act as expected then I just touched the ? Mark with a circle around it symbol at the bottom of the touch screen and it went about correcting the issue asking me questions and confirming if it was fixed or not. This seems to have cleared up any issues I have observed so far.

+ 24 hours into this, I haven't found any missing functions that I normally use for all of my components using this one remote. I did however have to look for the DirecTV DVR LIST command, something I use regularly. For those that are interested, use the "DVR" button just above the red color-navigation button at the bottom of the remote to access the DirecTV LIST menu.

+ It takes a firm push to connect the mini USB cable into the Remote's mini USB port-this slipped me up a bit in the beginning until I figured it out.

+ I really like the fact that the web application is storing/backing-up all my settings just in case something happens to my remote device.

+ There is still a lot for me to learn about all this svelte little device can do--to include how to set up the "Watch Netflix" and "Watch Vudu" activities using a Sony BDP-S780 device. I would like to set this activity up so that it goes directly to the VUDU app on the SONY BDP-S780 menu and opens it up (Currently this activity takes me to the BD Home menu then I scroll to the VUDU or Netflix app and open it up) . If any of you have figured this out please let me know in the comments section.

Polk Audio TL 1 Satellite Speaker (Each, Black)
Polk Audio TL 1 Satellite Speaker (Each, Black)
Price: $59.95
4 used & new from $49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact Audio Surprise, November 12, 2012
Compact Audio Surprise!

I purchased two Polk Audio TL 1 speakers in an attempt to add true 5.1 Surround Sound for a Yamaha YHT-S401 sound bar. While I was pretty happy with the YHT-S401's "virtual" 7.1 capabilities, adding the TL 1's as satellite surround sound left/right speakers for true 5.1 sound to this sound bar system really created a superior sound stage experience.

Good to know:

-Excellent value
-.5" Silk dome tweeter , 2.5" midrange driver and injection-molded diaphragm results in surprising well blended sound
-Very good high frequency capabilities; less capable with low frequencies but was designed to be pared with a separate subwoofer
-High quality, solid construction made of molded high-density resin
-Beautiful piano-black resin = lots of fingerprints
-Best for small to mid-sized rooms
-I carefully compared the TL1s to the more expensive (larger speaker, tweeter & driver ) Polk Satellite TL2's in the same series and while the TL 2's sounded great too, I didn't hear any improvements in my setup and room size over the less expensive ( smaller speaker, tweeter, driver) TL1s.
-For the best 5.1 surround sound experience try placing these or any other satellite ( surround Left/Right) speakers at ear level and to the left and right of where you normally sit--not behind you.

Note for Yamaha YHT-S401 owners, when I first connected these speakers to the YHT-S401's receiver ( SR/SL) the volume from these speakers was very low. However, once I adjusted the Left/Center/Right speakers on the sound bar to -1 for Left/Right sound bar speakers and 0 for the center sound bar speaker the TL 1 performed as expected even loud ( I have the TL 1 set to +3/+4 ). Also don't forget to change the sound bar from 3Ch to 5 Ch when using the TL 1 satellite speakers.

Sony MDRDS6500 Digital Surround Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony MDRDS6500 Digital Surround Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by AZDeals
Price: $198.00
81 used & new from $125.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Wireless Headphones, October 20, 2012
I have found the Sony MDRDS6500 Digital Surround Headphones to be pretty good wireless headphones with some very positive attributes:

Positive:

-#1 Attribute is the excellent surround sound effect (this unit excels at producing amazing surround sound effects with the right source and setup). The very best audio clip I found to test this particular headphone's surround sound capabilities is the Virtual Barber Shop ( 5.1 audio clip ) on You Tube. (Just do a search on YouTube for Virtual Barber Shop) I accessed the YouTube audio clip through my Internet enabled TV You Tube App which outputs PCM to my headset base unit via the optical cable (wireless base unit Digital In => TV Optical Digital Audio Out). Other exciting Blu-ray surround sound sources to test with include "Saving Private Ryan" opening fire battle scene, Transformers Dark of the Moon, Battleship (2012) and any of the Star Wars Movie.
-Well blended sound with excellent high and low frequency capabilities: clear speech and plenty of bass.
-Very good wireless capabilities, I haven't encountered any interference issues in my wireless saturated home environment. The RF transmission range can be increased/decreased simply by experimenting where you place the base unit.
-Comfortable

Still Experimenting:

-#1 Frustration for me is the hollow sound stage effect while listening to any dialogue with Cinema or Game sound fields selected no matter the source (TV OTA, Blu-Ray player, Satellite Receiver) DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby PLIIx, 5.1 or 7.1, etc. I've experimented with changing PCM/Bitstream Out from my Blu-ray player and turning on/off Dolby Digital from the Satellite Receiver, applying the compression setting on/off with the various sound fields (cinema or game), plugging the optical cable directly into the Blu-Ray player, satellite receiver, TV or passing the signal from my components through the TV Digital In as well as changing the input level from 0db to -8db.
-I found I could eliminate the hollow sound effect with dialogue 100% by simply leaving the sound field switch setting OFF. This means that you will not see the Dolby Digital, PLIIx, or DTS indicators light up but I did however, hear clear/true dialogue and decent surround sound effects with Dolby Digital, PLIIx, or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 sources with the sound field set to the OFF position. Setting the same to Cinema or Game increases the surround sound effect but introduces the hollow dialogue effect.
-I'll continue to see if I can find a way to eliminate the hollow sound field effect while applying Cinema or Game sound fields and will update my review accordingly ( I look forward to any comments from those of you who have any suggestions with this issue), until then:

Recommendations:

-I do recommend the Sony MDRDS6500 Digital Surround Headphones (affordable, comfortable, truly wireless capable, and fantastic surround sound effects)
-My recommended settings for a very pleasing home theater experience via wireless headsets include:

*Use the optical digital cable only for maximum performance
*INPUT = Digital
*SOUND FIELD= Off
*COMPRESSION= Off
*ATT= 0db for TV, -8db for almost everything else

* As of today October 20, 2012 and as someone else already mentioned, you can find these headphones for a much lower price with free shipping on Amazon.com by searching for "New" Sony MDRDS6500 Digital Surround Headphones on Amazon.com

Update 11/13/2012:
I continue to enjoy and appreciate these truly wireless headphones. Both for the value, comfort and overall sound and the sound effect capability. After further very careful listening have found that by using the cinema or game sound field setting I can slightly enhance the 7.1 surround sound effect so that you can perceive intended surround sound effects actually travel around you ( both side to side and in front of you). However, I still haven't eliminated the hollow dialogue effect when applying the sound field or "enhanced" sound effect setting to game or cinema--in some cases I have just learned to ignore this issue in favor of enjoying enhanced surround effects on some high action bluray movies. However, if your preference is on dialogue and pretty good surround sound effects then I would continue to recommend leaving the Sound Field setting "off" and as I mention the difference in effects is minimal when using the enhanced sound field setting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 9:33 AM PDT

WD My Passport 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black
WD My Passport 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black
Offered by JacobsParts
Price: $67.71
33 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart form-factor. So-So software, April 5, 2012
This is my first experience with a Western Digital hard drive. I purchased the 1 TB Passport drive as opposed to others mainly because CNET awarded its Editors' Choice for the 2 TB model ( which was not available for sale when I placed my order). I am currently using the WD SmartWare (version 1.5.4.5) that comes with loaded the device.

Pros:
Smart form-factor. Very small and sleek for a 1TB drive.
USB powered ( just plug it into your USB port). No need for a power cable or bulky ac adapter. Makes for true portability.
Impressive USB 2.0 speed during my initial back up of 131 GBs worth of files/content.
Automatic file backup feature
One USB cable( supplied)supports both 3.0 and 2.0.
Surprisingly quiet and runs fairly cool too.
Excellent customer support. I called twice and spoke to well trained/professional technicians.

Cons:
WD Smartware software. Surprisingly so-so for this cool little device. Not as intuitive or slick as I had expected or read about. (Am wondering if I would be better off deleting the Smartware software altogether.)
This version of Smartware is not very flexible and doesn't include a full system backup( system image)feature. I had to install another application to create a system image ( Luckily WD provides a free copy of an application called Acronis for its customers--however I had to call customer service to learn about this application and be told where to find it on their support page.
Automatic backup feature only works while your system is idle.

Based on my overall user experience with this device to date ( only a few days) I am somewhere between a 3.5 and 4.0 rating. If however portability with incredible amounts of storage capacity ( the next model goes up to 2Tbs !)in a pocket size device is your main priority--then I don't think there is anything else currently on the market that beats this device in that regard.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2013 2:28 PM PDT

Best Selling Yoobao Executive Genuine Leather Case for iPad 2 (Version 3 Black) from Xengadget
Offered by Pro Ebiz
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for.., February 1, 2012
Just got my Yoobao leather iPad2 case today. I had high expectations for this case due to the many positive write-ups on Amazon.com.

Every once in a while you end up with a product that works exactly as advertised...

Pros:
100% real leather--very attractive
Excellent quality
Precisely engineered--all cut-outs align perfectly with all the iPad2's speaker, buttons, camera, charging port, headphone jack etc. for easy access while in the case
Reasonably priced and no extra shipping fee
Minimal form-factor--very slim and trim maintaining the iPad's sleek design, just enough to make holding the iPad comfortable and protect from bumps and scratches
Horizontal or vertical position function
Magnet flap closure works perfectly too

Cons:
The leather odor (or the chemical used to process the leather). The smell is unpleasant and did transfer to my hands. Hoping the odor will dissipate over the coming days so I can keep this fine leather case!

Update 2/4/2012
After airing out the case for a couple of days in an attempt to eliminate the moldy smell to no avail, I decided to contact the company directly to request a replacement. I found the person I spoke to be very polite and helpful. He immediately offered to send me a replacement along with a "return" shipping label for the original case or a full refund. Since I like the case so much I decided to go with a replacement. I placed the call on Feb 2nd and received the replacement case today Feb 4th and to my delight the new case has a very slight, but pleasant new-leather smell as it should. Not only do I give this product five stars as I describe above but have to also give the company Exact Designs, Inc. Five stars for excellent customer service.

Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 Router (E4200 v2)
Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 Router (E4200 v2)
Offered by Electronica Direct
Price: $229.95
10 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars V2: Very good range and performance, December 30, 2011
I have been operating the V2 for about three weeks now (Firmware version 2.0.26.124551). I've been able to "real-world" compare this router in my home with two other excellent dual band wireless routers: the Asus NT-R56U and the Apple Time Capsule, 3rd Generation. I give the V2 five stars because this router delivers the best consistent range and performance in my "heavy wireless device usage home" than any other router I have owned.

Pros:
Setup: Set up in minutes with the included setup disk--I chose to skip the disk and setup via the browser on my iMac. (Both approaches = 3-4 minutes)
Future Proof: Supports IPv6, dual band 5Ghz/2.4Ghz, supports up to 450 Mbps on the 2.4/5 Ghz band
Powerful: Range and throughput in my house exceeded both the Asus NT-R56U and the Apple Time Capsule 3rd Generation. E.g. 5-7 Mbps vs 25+ Mbs at the most distant areas of my house from the router
Load Testing: Exceeded range and performance ( significantly) of the R56U and the TC 3rd Gen during multiple device/heavy use streaming, gaming, computer, iPad connections in my house
Consistent: I haven't run into any performance issues whatsoever with the e4200 V2 after 3+ weeks of continuous operation
Cisco Connect Express: This is a great app for your iPhone/iPad/Android device to monitor and manage your Cisco Home Network ( Very similar to the Apple Airport Utility app)
Editors Choice: Both CNET and PC Magazine awarded the e4200 V2 their "Editors Choice" 2011

Cons:
Runs very warm: Maybe some will call it "hot"--I haven't experienced any issues yet ( that I know of) but it does run warmer than any other wireless router I have owned
Expensive: The Asus Nt-R56U ( another very fast dual band router) might be a better value especially for smaller spaces ( compared to current V1 or V2 list prices)
450Mbps: According to the recent professional reviews you need a 450MBps capable wireless client to experience the "maximum" range and performance from this router (None of my current wireless devices are 450Mbps capable so the max speed I could get was up to 300 Mbps when in very close proximity to the e4200 V2) So if you don't experience "advertised" performance it may be due to your own wireless clients
5Ghz;short range: The 5Ghz band does not have anywhere near the range of the 2.4ghz band--but I think is the same for most current wireless routers. (If your wireless devices are located more than one or two rooms away from the router use the 2.4Ghz band)

Professional Reviews:
See helpful e4200 V2 professional reviews on:
-cnet.com
-pcmag.com
-smallnetbuilder.com

For those of you looking for settings for your wireless router to maximize your router's performance in a Home environment try these:
Set Security to "WPA2-Personal" and Channel to "Auto" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Channel Width for the 2.4Ghz band should be set to "20Mhz Only" and 5Ghz should be set to "40Mhz Only". Network mode should be set to "N-Only" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. **Note: if you have older wireless devices that only use wireless a,b,or g, then set the 2.4Ghz to "mixed" Network Mode else these devices will not connect to the N-Only network.

Update 1/12/2012:
Apparently there is a recently discovered security issue with most routers that offer WPS ( Wi-Fi Protected Setup) to include the e4200 V2. Until a fix is released by the manufacturers, its probably a good idea to frequently monitor your networks "connected devices" for potential unknown/unwanted visitors. You can always restrict access to unwanted devices by enabling Parental Controls under Access Restrictions/Parental Controls/Target Devices

If your e4200 V2 is running too warm, try turning off the port lights on the back of the router under Setup(Tab)/Basic Setup/then scroll down to bottom of page and set Port Lights to off. (I ended up putting something under the router to lift it up about two inches to increase the airflow under the unit--this resulted in a much cooler continuous operating temperature .

Update March 6, 2012:
Firmware Version: 2.0.36.126507
The e4200 V2 has been pretty much a "set it and forget it" experience for me since I set it up. I haven't experienced any operational issues at all and was pleased to discover that the router also has an automated firmware update feature--so I don't even have to worry about making sure my router has the latest firmware since it updates itself. ( I think this is a default setting--but you can check for the same ( or you can turn off this feature) under the main Administration tab: Administration/Firmware Upgrade/then select On-Line Upgrade and then select Upgrade Automatically) From the same menu, you can also use the "Restore Previous Firmware" feature if you experience any issues with any of the new firmware updates.

Update August 3, 2012:
Firmware Ver.2.1.38.138880 Cisco Connect Cloud Firmware
There continue to be a lot of additions to the Cisco wireless home router model line since I purchased my e4200 V2 only 8 months ago. However, and most importantly I am happy to report that my V2 router continues without issue. Even better, I recently upgraded the e4200 V2 firmware to the new Cisco Connect Cloud which in my opinion converts my V2 to the same performance and functionality as the newer EA4500 App-Enabled Cisco Wireless router ( kudos to Cisco for offering this upgrade to existing V2 owners ! ) Note: I had to do a manual update to the Cisco Connect Cloud firmware even though I had my router set to automatic updates. If you are interested in experiencing Connect Cloud on your V2 then be sure to go out to the Cisco's Linksys e4200 support page and download firmware version Ver.2.1.38.138880. There is a little more to this download process then normal to include having to register with the Cisco Cloud Connect service. Once upgraded I think you will really enjoy the new router administration interface. Likewise with the new Cloud Connect app on your smart phone or tablet you can manage your home network in the cloud from other locations without having to be on your home network. Check out Cnet's review of Cisco Connect Cloud service to learn more about current and future capabilities of this new service. Apparently there is a lot more to come with new this new Cloud capability.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit 200Mbps - extend Internet to your HDTV
WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit 200Mbps - extend Internet to your HDTV
Offered by The-Edeals
Price: $124.98
12 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best Powerline Adapter on the market ( 2011), November 17, 2011
I replaced an older Netgear 85Mbs powerline adpter with the Western Digital WD Powerline Av Network Kit:

Pros:
Recommended by CNET's Senior Editor Dong Ngo and selected as a CNET Editor's Choice product
Much faster than my old Netgear 85Mbs power-line adapter
Simple setup ( no need to use the enclosed software CD Mac or PC) Just plug it to your router and electrical outlet!
Instantly adds 7 router ports to your home network
Nice form-factor that doesn't take over your entire electrical outlet like the older power-line adapters

Cons:
I can't believe how many people still don't know anything about network power-line adapter technology which is too bad since this technology could really help a lot of people extend their network inexpensively and quickly over their existing electrical wiring without having to install and run an Ethernet cable
The enclosed Live Wire CD software disk--THERE IS NO NEED TO USE THIS SOFTWARE DISK ( Mac or PC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3