Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Peter Juvinall > Reviews

Browse

Peter Juvinall's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter Juvinall RSS Feed

Allegiant (Divergent Series)
Allegiant (Divergent Series)
by Veronica Roth
Price: $11.75
507 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Boxes and my opinion of Allegiant, October 25, 2013
I just finished Allegiant last night and I wanted to share some thoughts:

One of the big hurdles that any series like this has to overcome is big secrets (the answer is always less satisfying than what you think the secret is. JJ Abrams called it a magic box problem - what's in the magic box? when you open it you're let down, before it can be anything). Through Divergent and Insurgent the big secret was how this world came to be. There are many examples (LOST, I'm looking at you) of worlds that were created with large secrets where the payoff wasn't there. For Allegiant, the payoff really isn't there but I don't think that's Roth's fault, it's my imagination's. My understanding of the outside world was much different than the written one in Allegiant and so there was disappointment. I knew, though, that the disappointment was coming.

What I liked about the book is what many people have been panning. The development of all the major characters happened in this book. It's almost as if we got to knew them and before they were taken away, motivations were shaped and we were allowed to mourn the ending of the book.

The narrative switch between Four and Tris was confusing in a couple of the chapters and I found myself looking at the front of the chapter to see who was speaking, but for the most part, I thought the 'lack of voice' of Four fleshed him out a bit and humanized him. Where in Divergent he was introduced as a macho, shallow guy, this book evolved him into more of a thinker and more to a person who had a firm grasp on how he felt. I don't think it was bad and I'm probably not alone in saying his thoughts often looked a lot like how I would think and approach a situation as a guy.

I also thought the last 10 chapters or so were handled well and the writing reflected how the characters thought and felt and I felt their sense of loss (trying not to give anything away).

My lack of a 5th star comes from, in my opinion, confusion about how the outside of Chicago world worked. I understand the Fringe and how cities were setup, but I was confused about where everyone else was. The world would benefit from even a short story explaining how it came to be the way it was and where everyone outside of Chicago lived.

Take it for what you will, I thought it was a strong ending to a book even though it had some things going against it. :)

A Collection Of The Most Relaxing New Age Music In The Universe
A Collection Of The Most Relaxing New Age Music In The Universe
Price: $18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but my friends on Klautu 5 beg to differ., December 22, 2012
Having recently went to the Klautu outer planets, I'd say that this music might be relaxing, but there are bands in the zimbway genre on Klautu 5 that can play weaponized relaxing music. Whole entire cities have been laid to bed by their music when they play it.

So, while relaxing, it is not quite the most relaxing music in the Universe. I can't speak for alternate dimensions, but for this Universe Klautu 5 holds some contenders.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2012 10:06 AM PST

Nu En Jin
Nu En Jin
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, amazing and still my favorite album ever., July 9, 2012
This review is from: Nu En Jin (MP3 Music)
A dozen years later and there is still nothing like Nu En Jin to me. There have been some amazing albums that have come and gone, but Nu En Jin has staying power and is one CD that I will never part with. Here are a couple of reasons:

- The tracks are fluid and tell a consistent, entertaining narrative. I'd LOVE to see full lyrics, but the liner notes are incredibly hard to read due to some poor graphic choices. Gyro are you out there? Care to print those lyrics somewhere?

- It scratches that itch when I want to hear harder music. It's not so experimental that it sacrifices melody and a song in place of sound. As a result songs like Terrafirma sound as fresh as they did when I first heard them.

- It's everything I like about good Industrial music - a touch of sci-fi, melody, and enough sound to make you go want to punch a wall.

It's a shame this album didn't get traction because it could stand well as aside anything by bands such as skinny puppy or nine inch nails.

Do yourself a favor. If you can, find the CD. If you can't, by all means buy this album.

Nettwerk: 25 Years Of Music
Nettwerk: 25 Years Of Music

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good representation of Nettwerk's catalog, January 23, 2011
What I like about this collection is that overall it's a great sampling of Nettwerk's offerings. If you're not familiar with an artist or two some of their best stuff is on here.

Basically, this is all that is good and right and that I like about this label. They've had a track record of picking eclectic, quality music over the years and this shows that off well. Yes, there's not a consistent theme but if you were to play through my 25 most played tracks in my library they might look like this as well.