Profile for John Thomas... > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 116

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Thomas... "New England...USA" RSS Feed (New England.....USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aoneky 10 x 22 Dual Focus Compact Green Film Lens Porro Prism Binoculars for Bird Watching, Hunting, Watching Wildlife, Scenery, Game, Steady Viewing, Optics Zoom Scalable Telescopic (Black)
Offered by DreamsEden
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Toy Binoculars..Not For Adults, Fine Choice For Children..., August 4, 2015
I received a pair of these binoculars in exchange for a fair and honest review. And here it is: There is a reason why these binoculars are listed under "Toys and Games" on Amazon. They are not in any way real binoculars in my opinion. They look, feel, and above all perform like a toy. The magnification is there, and with the center adjustment wheel, but the field of view is very small on these. Make that extremely small, as are the binoculars themselves. As for the quality of the view, its at best passable. On the brightest day here all I could get out of them was a small blurry picture. I couldn't get anything to really focus sharp no matter where I tried them. The optic quality is just not there. Very poor on an adult level indeed. In my opinion any adult that buys these for bird watching and such that is suggested is going to be sorely disappointed..And any adult that you get them for as a gift will not like them, and will think you're a cheap slob...

That all being said, a pair of binoculars like this does have a place here in toys and games. I think they would be a fine choice for a child that is into looking at players close up at sporting events, bird watching, or just taking along on a hike as his or hers very own pair. A child is not going to be really all that put off by the tiny field of vision, or the poor optics. They will only appreciate their actually working, and focusing. Also, for the money, these binoculars are not at all badly made. I think they could be dropped, stepped on, knocked around quite a bit and not get broken. And for the price and quality, no one is going to lose any real sleep over them being left behind or lost. A look around Amazon has suggested to me that for the money they are asking for these, they really aren't that many choices. I can't tell you if they are any worse than any others around this price for I own several better quality ones. But judging by the price and selection, these can be recommended for a child, and its a good choice in my opinion. As for a grown up choice, just forget them is also my opinion...

Crenova® GM-50 Mini LED Projector Portable 480x320 Multi-Media Cinema 30W LED 150 Lux Eye Protection Home Backyard Theater Support iPad iPhone Phone PC Laptop AV HDMI VGA Input SD Slot USB & Micro USB (GM-50 Black/White)
Offered by Gbargain
Price: $249.99
5 used & new from $70.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, Easy Hookup, Very Reasonable Price..., August 4, 2015
This is one of the coolest things I have tested in a long time...In fact I will admit that up until I was offered this in return for an honest review, I had never experienced one of these things on my own. I loved the idea of actually using a projector to watch some of my videos like the old days. I remember when I was a kid my father setting up the screen and projector to watch slides of our various vacations. I never grew tired of them and kinda missed that as an adult when taking videos. (Please note that what I got offered and received is the entry level, cheapest model here). Even though I am obviously far from tech savvy, I was able to follow the directions on this and get it up and running in no time. For the price of it, I am very pleased with the picture and sound of this thing. Although I have read other reviews here that talk about it being too pixelated, or not bright enough, etc, I guess it all comes down to what you expect for what you pay. As stated before I had never owned one of these before and to me its just down right cool and very easy to use. I have a lot of videos on my lap top that I had never seen on anything but the 15" screen on it. Imagine seeing them for the first time on a big screen. (Fortunately I still own the screen my father used when I was a kid). Everything you need to hook up to a lap top or desktop PC for streaming is included with this. For an iphone, you will need a what is called a WIFI display dongle that go for between $20 and $40 here in Amazon. Personally, I still don't own a smart phone, Ipad, or anything like it, so what was included with this works fine for me. But talking to others that own such equipment. that have seen this consider it a worthwhile and cheap investment to extend your viewing pleasure to other devices. I certainly will when the time comes that I decide to move up from my beloved flip phone...

In conclusion, for what I am experiencing with this as to its being user friendly, quality made, and performance, I consider this a hell of a buy. Perhaps the cheapest model here does lack something in an office environment or board room. But for ones own cozy living room, or deck at night, this thing is a lot of fun and very useful indeed. Personally, I love it, and highly recommend it..: )

Ohuhu® 3 Piece Softouch Garden Tool Set / Gardening Tool Set - Cultivator, Transplaner, Trowel
Offered by Ohuhu Direct
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent For The Price...Top Quality.., August 4, 2015
This is an excellent set of garden tools for the price. In fact its hard to believe that they can offer this kind of quality for just $5 a piece at the time of this writing. I have seen individual pieces go for $10 or more in stores. All the tools are of good quality and very strong. There was no bending or break at all even under the toughest use. The plastic handles on them are excellent for gripping and easing fatigue while using. They washed clean easily and are of a nice size. All in all a super set of garden tools for what I feel is an excellent price...Highly recommended..

Free set provided in exchange for a fair review...

Professional Premium Grade Gaffer Tape By Gafferpower® - Made in the Usa, Black (Grey, White) 2 Inch X 30 Yards Heavy Duty Pro Gaff Tape - Strong, Tough and Powerful, Secures Cables, Holds Down Wires Leaving No Sticky Residue - Very Easy to Tear - Non- Reflective - Water Proof - Multipurpose for Around the House - Better Than Duct Tape - For the True Professional - Order Risk Free.
Offered by WebGage
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Duct Tape On Steroids...Great Stuff!, August 2, 2015
When I was first offered a roll of this tape free in exchange for an honest review, I have to admit that I never heard of it before. Like many, I just considered an off shoot of duct tape. However when you first receive this and feel it, use it, its immediate that this stuff is much like duct tape without any of the liabilities. And for anyone out there that knows and loves duct tape like I do, that is going some. Although this looks and tears much like duct tape, it does not have the strong sticky adhesive action of duct tape that makes it very hard to remove. But that is not to say in any way that this is not equally strong in its adhesive action. I tried this stuff out around my pool, on a window that is broken in a camper, and just put a couple of strips on the wall in the house to see if it really did stick, and then be removed easily. Not only did this stuff pass all three tests I put it through, but it's performance and removal was even impressive. I had it around the pool where there is a crack in the metal and I am covering it for now to keep anyone from getting scratched by it. (One of the best things about duct/gaffer tape. Being able to put off all manner of permanent repairs. Men don't care if it looks like hell). The broken window kept falling inside the slot, and as far as putting a couple of strips on the wall, I was well warned that it "damn well better come off". After a couple of days I peeled away all three and was actually quite amazed at the simplicity of it. It folded and resisted on the glass somewhat, but not a shred was left behind on any of the three surfaces. The wall in the kitchen where I put it up is painted with a flat paint that easily would resist regular duct tape, and this stuff came off completely clean...(Thank God).

In conclusion, this stuff was tested on glass, metal, and a painted surface and stuck well, and was equally removed perfectly. No wonder it is well known and used in the movies business. It's a little bit more expensive than duct tape, but is well worth for its adhesion without being permanent. Also, it should be noted that this stuff tears just as easily into strips as regular duct tape does. It handles like "mans best friend" while making it easy for you to change your mind or reapply. All in all really good stuff that I can highly recommend.. : )

The Magic Butterfly and The Flower of Life: Books for Kids, Stories For Kids Ages 8-10 (Kids Early Chapter Books - Bedtime Stories For Kids - Children's Books)
by Ms. A M Curiel
Price: $15.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Written Fantasy Tale..Kids Love It..., August 1, 2015
This is a very intelligently, and stylishly written tale of fantasy that is so popular these days. Personally I don't care much for these fantasy kingdom type stories. But I'm certainly not the audience that its directed at. This book easily filled in two bedtime rituals over the course of the same number of nights. It was an instant hit for both its story that was developed beautifully along the way, as well as even excellent character development that is very rare, or often not even bothered with in children's stories these days. The story is quite long, but totally engaging from beginning to end. The only thing that one may have trouble with as to this book is getting a child to accept that the end of any given chapter is going to be all that there is tonight. This is not a book that is easily put down by either a parent reading it, or a child that is old enough to make it through by themselves. In any event, its one of the best children's stories I have come across in a long time. As an editor by trade, I particularly enjoyed both the brilliant visuals that it presented by the story alone, along with even an enviable amount of wisdom and intelligence that was demonstrated and played out.

If I was going to say anything as to the way of cons with this book, it would be the illustrations. They follow the story very well and are numerous throughout, but done in a very modern, variegated style with little in the way of depth and clarity in my opinion. But once again, I was brought up on Golden Books with very clear colorful characters well defined and recognized. That is not always what is found in children's books today, and the kids I read this too took to them very well. They're used to it, and love it...Overall, one of the best written and thought provoking illustrated story books I have read in a very long time, and I highly recommend it.. : )

A sample book was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Dimples Excel "Adventure" Set: Parachute Cord Paracord Survival Bracelet for Wrist Approx.18cm-20cm (7"-8") with Stainless Steel Black Bow Shackle + Carabiner "Grenade" Survival Kit
Offered by Dimples Excel
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Emergency Gear For Light Excursions And Survival.., August 1, 2015
I have to admit I am a sucker for all kinds of survival gear. Knives, kits, emergency food rations, fire starters, etc. In my younger days I did a lot of hiking in the Mt. Washington Valley of NH...I especially love winter hiking, and some of the hikes I took were truly dangerous. Fortunately I survived them all, and today I still like to hike, but the trails and adventures are not so much the edge of your seat variety anymore...Even though my hikes aren't the deep into the valley winter ones like the old days, I still retain the knowledge and common sense that I acquired over the years. I have a long list of gear that I made many years ago that I have never tossed out, and, still bring with me on any overnight excursions. And even on some day ones..

These bracelets and grenade style survival gear and kits may seem trivial when you take them apart, but the truth is they very well could help save your life should the a day hike, or even something deeper takes a turn for the worst. I never step foot into the wilderness without a full survival kit. But I also had along with me an array of smaller gear like this that just simply made a lot of sense. The bracelet with its strong, tough, parachute cord has a variety of uses in the woods, and is easy to just snap on and forget about. As for the grenade, it may seem small when you first get it, but its very thick and heavy and does an excellent job of providing a little of everything that one could really use in an emergency situation. In the past, I have actually camped out and used nothing but what comes in one of these for surviving a couple of nights. I have started fires, created shelter, caught fish, and of course cooked over an open fire. It wasn't always easy, but it was far from very difficult, and it provided me with a wealth of knowledge and experience as to such a situation. Even though I always had heavier, more numerous survival gear along, it just never made sense to me in leaving something like this behind. The grenade can be attached anywhere on your body, or on your gear, and there really is no excuse for not bringing it along. The quality of the paracord on both these items is excellent. It doesn't come any better or stronger than I have seen in a bracelet or grenade for sure. Its nice solid duo of survival pieces for a price that is not that bad for the quality you get..

In conclusion, about the only thing I can say about this set that I think is lacking is that the grenade lacks any water purification tablets. I remember when I camped and used only a survival kit that some water was included with it. This is way too small for that, but a couple of tablets for purifying any drinking water would be a good addition. I've seen more people get sick drinking water that looked nice and clear in the past that I am never without them. But over all this is a good quality made duo that belongs on any wilderness outing. Especially those that are just family style and seemingly easy. You just never know and they are so easy to have along...Highly recommended.. : )

Ibeauti "Minions" Throw Blankets, Portable Cute Fleece Air Conditioning Blanket for Baby, Kids, Office Ladies, 32.3" * 27.6"
Offered by Ibeauti
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Cute And Warm, Useful..., July 31, 2015
This was a bit smaller than I imagined when it arrived. But that didn't manage to stem the flow of any cuddliness that burst forth. It comes totally wrapped up with the little guy whole and complete, and I dare anyone not to say its just too darn cute. Upon opening it I found it to be big enough for a decent throw over ones legs, or just covering you for a nap. The fabric is exceptionally soft and has a nice quality feel to it. It's so cute that it looks nice anywhere, not just in the obvious kids bedroom or play room. Best of all, I found I could easily roll it up again to make the little guy complete again. If you want a neater look when not in use, roll it back up and sit the little guy in a chair or on the sofa. Really super cute and useful throw. We love it here, and I highly recommend it... : )

Free sample provided in exchange for an honest review...

The Nutro Company Adult Cat Chunky Loaf Chicken Dinner for Adult Cats, 3-Ounce
The Nutro Company Adult Cat Chunky Loaf Chicken Dinner for Adult Cats, 3-Ounce
Price: $25.50
3 used & new from $25.50

4.0 out of 5 stars 50% Approval Here...One Loves It, The Other Won't Touch It.., July 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an excellent quality cat food that has very good ingredients in it. It far outpaces as to its menu the main stream dinners like Friskies and 9 Lives that my cats eat with great abandon...Giving them a chance on something that is better for them is always a gamble, and this Nutro brand was no different. One my cats loves it and eats the whole can without a problem, (they are the smaller style cans). The other just smelled it once and won't go near it. Even withholding his regular meal for a day or two has not gotten him to try it. Unfortunately when it comes to better, higher priced spreads like this, it is always a matter to me of whether my cat will eat it or not, rather than just lauding its healthy ingredients. The extra nutritional value doesn't mean anything if they won't eat it. For what its worth, two other cats that are neighborhood spongers have split evenly on this stuff as well. One of them loves it and the other just gave me that look...In conclusion, this is quality stuff that goes for a quality price. It is not overly smelly at all and very juicy. I really thought it would be an all round hit. But 50% approval is all we got around here. If you are considering this for your kitty, I suggest one or two cans to test it with first. I just didn't have enough luck with it to recommend it by the case...: )

550Paracord Parachute Cord Strong Power Compiled Bracelet Emergency Military Survival Whistle Plastic Buckle Camping Wristband Rope (Black and White Camouflage)HW157
Offered by JD Gems
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Rugged, And Exceptionally Well Made..Best I Have Come Across..., July 30, 2015
I have owned a number of others brands of these survival bracelets in the past. With the exception of an occasional one being too small, all of them have been of a good quality make. This one however has to be the most rugged of them all in my opinion. It's thicker, heavier, and even constructed better and stronger than any other I have owned so far. It was a little stiff and hard to get snapped at first, but it starts to flex quite easily after that you well get used to it. The clasp on it is quality made and easily makes a snap sound when firmly attached. Removing it is a cinch with just a squeeze of the sides of it...As for its length, it stretches out to 10", including the snap attachment, making it one of the longest I have come across. With a good size wrist, (7/34) this comes out perfect for me. If these are a little big you can always wiggle it up on your wrist where it will stay securely. When they are too small, they are useless. If you have a wrist that is under 7", this will be too big for you in my opinion. Anything from 7" to 8" or even 8" and you should be ok...

But what really sets this bracelet apart is its thickness and strength that as said before is the best I have come across. Its a stronger, thicker paracord than I have seen, and even the bracelet itself is better put together. This, like many I have owned is something simple and even attractive that anyone should have on when venturing into any wilderness area, or, in any situation where you may get stranded and have to rely on survival skills...I suggest that anyone ordering one of these go online and check out how to unravel them, and, view the various uses that it can be used under. There are many videos that describe both and are accurate and entertaining... As for this bracelet, it as good as then come for what it is. It has a nice loud whistle on it, but not the fire starter flint that some of them that cost a little more have. Personally I never venture into the woods for a hike without a separate fire starter anyway so that part of it is no loss to me. I received this one free in exchange for an honest reviiew, but I plan on ordering more as gifts to others. In short, this is a heavy, very rugged bracelet that comes at a very fair price, and that I can highly recommend... : )

Flatworld® Decorbox Birds Throw Pillow Case Cushion Cover Linen Cotton Natural Bed Pillow Protectors (Hummingbird)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality For The Price...Small Beaded Feel, Not Soft And Smooth.., July 30, 2015
This an excellent quality cover for the price. In fact I would go as far as to say that its the best I have ever owned for this price. You can feel the quality of this right out of the package. The fabric is thick and beaded. Meaning its not a smooth, soft surface, but made up of very small beads that give it a little bit of a rough surface for using as a pillow for a nap. But therein lies its durability in my opinion. It's surface will resist wear and fading for a very long time. The print on it of the bird and plants are colorful enough without being too bright, and its attractive. My first thought when opening it was that it may be a little bigger than described. But after stuffing it with a pillow here that had seen better days, it fit and looked very nice. If there is any disappointment in this, it is in the zipper that is very small and thin. Especially the little pull handle on it that feels like it would break easily. But I was able to stuff the pillow inside a couple of times and run the zipper open and closed a number of times without a problem. I would imagine the zippers on these are kept small and thin on purpose for looks. You can't even see it when its closed and a pillow is inside. Overall a very high quality, attractive cover that can't be beat for the price...Recommended. : )

Free sample provided in exchange for an honest review..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20