Profile for John Thomas... > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 111

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Thomas... "New England...USA" RSS Feed (New England.....USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Crescent DB16 16-Inch Adjustable Pry Bar, Nail Puller, Red/Black
Crescent DB16 16-Inch Adjustable Pry Bar, Nail Puller, Red/Black
Price: $25.26
25 used & new from $18.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, Solid, And Indispensble When You Really Need Something Like It.., July 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a super tool that is extremely tough and well designed. I tried it out on several pieces of my old shed that was torn down last year. I not only used it to pry up all manner and length of nails, but also opened it up to near its full gap and grabbed several wide joints for twisting and or crushing such as you would do to tear something down and it was awesome...As for the pry bar end, it works just fine as well, especially with the nice grip on it. It may be a little short for some tough pry jobs where you need a real crow bar for leverage. But for everything less than the toughest jobs, this is ideal and one rugged tool. One thing I would like to clear up also. Another reviewer here stated in their review that the detent button, the red stopper on it was plastic. It clearly is not, and is made of metal. (Plastic wouldn't last for 10 minutes on your first job with it, and someone else before this would have mentioned such an obvious weak link if it were true, I am sure). All in all this is a very tough tool that is the type that when you really need it, its worth much more than what they are asking. It really is as quality made as they come and I recommend it.. : )

MADKING 10W A19 LED Light Bulb E27 Daylight White 60W Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent
Offered by Giantech Online
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Rugged, Great Dispersion..., July 6, 2015
Light bulbs have come a long ways since the fragile ones I busted often years back. This may be a little hefty in price, but its as solid as they come, and honestly I think its a bulb you will replace so infrequently the last time won't even be remembered. It's a little on the heavy side as one can expect, but that is of no real matter. Though it states that the power of it is equivalent to a 60w bulb, I agree with another reviewer here that its seems brighter than that to me. The one thing about this bulb is what you see. The light comes out of mostly the top. Although its a little strange looking, when I put this in a lamp or some other table top light, it seemed to fill the room as naturally as a regular looking bulb. (It kind of goes without saying that it looks and shines just fine from something overhead). I would even go as far as to say I like the way this bulb spreads its light. There may be something to the design that is beneficial in its dispersion that is not explained in its description. As for the durability of this light, that remains to be seen. But the given on any design like this is that they last ar longer than an incandescent. And this bulb also stays very cool and can easily be grasped when on. I plan on buying more and enjoying no changing bulbs anywhere for the next several years. Personally I highly recommend it...

Free sample provided in exchange for a fair and honest review..

PanSaver Slow Cooker Liners with a Sure Fit Band, 4 Count
PanSaver Slow Cooker Liners with a Sure Fit Band, 4 Count
Price: $6.20
7 used & new from $1.16

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Fit Small Pots At All...Pricey Too..., July 6, 2015
Slow cooker liners have been a staple in my kitchen for a long time now. One of the greatest inventions ever in my opinion. Crockpots have to be one of the biggest pains to clean with everything being burned onto the sides and it being a heavy ceramic insert. The only problem I have ever had with the liners is that they all only come in one size, made to fit 3 to 6 1/2 quart pots on average. If you own a smaller one like I do, you end up with a lot of excess...With the other Pansaver ones I use, (which are great and recommended), my solution has been to tie a knot in it and just put up with the excess. When I ran into these one day at the market I decided to try them. Made sense that the elastic band would be a lot easier and neater than tying knots... Unfortunately these carry the same problem of being one size only, and they don't fit a 3 1/2 quart cooker well at all even though they promise too. It's still way too loose on mine and don't stay in place. I still ended up having to tie a knot in them as well. Maybe for bigger pots they are the way to go, but even then you are paying a hefty price. Almost $7.00 for just 4 of them at the time of this writing. Trust me, the Pansavers work very well and are way cheaper. If you own a smaller pot like I do, these aren't worth it even if the price is no matter. For bigger ones, and people that don't like tying knots, these may be a good bet...

Texsport Propane Heater
Texsport Propane Heater
Price: $33.03
28 used & new from $28.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Used Under Extreme Conditions...Durable And Recommended.., July 6, 2015
This review is from: Texsport Propane Heater (Sports)
I used one of these for years when I hiked the White Mountains of NH years back.. Although I also had along a camp stove, the weather up there in the Mt. Washington Valley was something that has to be experienced to describe. I found myself needing extra heat often when I wasn't cooking and still awake in my tent...(I never kept it on when sleeping). Although there are lots of questions and comments about this being used in an enclosed area, trust me, most tents are leaking and drafty enough to survive one of these any time. Especially where I used it in the mountains. There was always more than enough ventilation. As for the operation of this, it is very user friendly and easy to get used too. I used it over a period of 5 years up there and nothing ever went wrong with it. Despite the elements in the White Mountains, I always used this on low, (except just after setting up), and always got around 6 hours or more out of a cylinder. My usual hikes up there averaged two nights, and I used to bring along 4 of the cylinders and never ran low...One other thing I always liked about this heater was its being able to use any gas cylinder. A fellow camper of mine had something similar that was a Coleman, and he was forced to use only Coleman cylinders. The hell with that. It was a while ago and it may not be still true, but I hate when manufacturers pull that crap. Any gas cylinder with the standard head on it can be used on this heater, and that I like. All in all this has been a very durable, user friendly, and safe heater that I got a lot of real use out of under some very rugged conditions. This model is the same as the one I used all those years and in my opinion, one of the best to be sure...Highly Recommended.. : )

Best Hikes with Kids: Connecticut, Massachusetts & Rhode Island
Best Hikes with Kids: Connecticut, Massachusetts & Rhode Island
by Cynthia Copeland Lewis
Price: $14.81
42 used & new from $2.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete And Overpriced.., July 5, 2015
I saw this book at a yard sale and picked it up for 50 cents and still don't think it was worth it. Not only is it lacking in skipping over some very fine trails in Mass and Conn, but the RI trails are a measly handful of poor choices...This is at best an overview of a small selection of hikes in New England. There are much better choices, don't bother...

Camp Cooking: 100 Years
Camp Cooking: 100 Years
by National Museum Of Forest Service History
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $8.37
74 used & new from $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Look Back With Great Recipes And Memories..., July 5, 2015
I just love these camp cooking books. I have a whole collection of them. You would be surprised at how different they can be as to history, tips, recipes, and just plain old nostalgia. Some rely a lot more on tall tales and stories than recipes and vice versa. This one is a nice combination that I am thoroughly enjoying. I love the old pictures, general info, tips and advice, and just plain old camp fire lore. As far as the recipes there is a generous amount of them that covers everything from snacks and appetizers to desserts. Even though some of them may be a little much for a camp fire, the majority of them very well indeed can be handled on a camp out. I especially love the dutch oven meals, soups, and stews. My own background in camping is many years of hiking the white mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont. And some of my favorite memories from those days are the great one pot dinners I made over an open fire on cold mountains nights. There is just something about sitting there in the woods with nature all around you enjoying a bowl of delicious stew and a big hunk of bread that will take anyone back simpler times. They are remembered by me now as some of the best meals I have ever had. This book has some great pictures along with it that are interesting, and plenty of reading that is very enjoyable. Unfortunately I don't get out and do any real hiking or camping that much anymore, so I plan on making many of the recipes in the book over this coming fall and winter right in the wilds of my own kitchen. Whether you are a true lover of camp fire cooking, or just love looking back and trying some of them in your own home or back yard, I highly recommend this book. One of the best..

Garcinia Cambogia *** 100% Pure Garcinia Cambogia Extract with HCA, Extra Strength, 180 Capsules, All Natural Appetite Suppressant, carb blocker, Weight Loss Supplement.
Offered by Quality Life Essentials
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $19.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, Excellent Price, And Recommended..., July 4, 2015
I have been a believer in Garcinia Cambodia, (GC) for some time now. I have been taking it off and on over the last couple of years and have had some fine success with it. GC is not a miracle drug that will allow anyone to just pig out and lose weight. In fact my experience with it has been that I have never lost any real weight, but, I have also not gained in any 2 years where before it seemed to be forever out of control. I have never been someone that was able to just eat 3 squares a day and indulge just here and there and maintain my weight. It's been a battle all my life. Before this stuff it was a an unhealthy series of eating and dieting to just to take off the excess...

Although I have tried various brands of GC in the past, this Quality brand gets it right as far as price, and effectiveness. I take two capsules twice a day before my biggest meals and my weight hardly fluctuates at all.. I have always taken walks for exercise, especially in the fall and winter when its easy to indulge in all manner of comfort food. And that along with taking this, and remembering that I can't wolf down a couple of plates of meatballs and spaghetti any time I want has given me a control over my weight that I haven't see in years. This Quality brand is very effective, as well as one of most reasonably priced here on Amazon. And trust me I have tried many of them. Good stuff at a fair price that I can recommend...

Kinven Mosquito Bug Repellent Leather Bracelet - 3 Pack/6 Pest Control Bracelets - DEET Free - Highly Effective Insect Repelling Product - 3 x 15 Days Protection (Color: Navy Blue)
Offered by RD Products LLC
Price: $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Looking, Effective, And Tested With Several People, July 4, 2015
I'm definitely someone that is not a summer lover. I hate the heat, the noise, the long days, and especially the bugs. Although the little buggers don't seem to love me as much as some others, I still get bit like everyone else. Sprays and lotions all work pretty good, but they are messy, have to be reapplied, and they stink. These bracelets that are very pleasantly scented are one of the best ways to go. There is another bracelet style repellent on the market I have tried that you buy refills for, but I like this one better. Its small, fits anyone's fashion, and actually looks pretty nice on. Best of all when you are done with you just toss it...

I tried these out over the last week when we had some late card games on the back deck. Usually I use a bug lantern that works pretty good to keep bugs away. But this time I passed out one of these per player to help me test it with different people and chemistry. The overall result was that these work extremely well. Not one person reported being bitten, or even seeing a mosquito doing any scouting in the area. Although the package directions indicate that only one bracelet should be worn at a time, one of the comments from the manufacture on one of the reviews here stated that two is recommended. My experience here with myself and others has proved to me that only one is needed to be effective unless you're hiking in the Amazon jungle.. Seriously, we were all impressed with how well they worked over a number of nights. They may be a little costly when compared to sprays, but when you consider they promise to last up to 15 days, they are well in line with other repellents. Although I have not tested these over a period that long, I would think that 10 days would be a good medium of expectation and that is more than acceptable. Also, although the package directions offer nothing as to suggestions in storing these bracelets in between outings, I have taken it upon myself to store them in zip lock bags to keep them fresh. I think one can best gauge their effective time by how long the scent lasts which is very convenient...

In conclusion, I really like these bracelets and highly recommend them. They are way better than sprays and lotions, and even look cool when wearing them. They are easily adjustable and a cinch to get on. Really cool, and most importantly, they actually work...

Free samples provided in exchange for an honest review...

Homecook Pro Premium Meat Tenderizer for Steak, Chicken, Pork with 56 Stainless Blades & Safety Lock
Offered by Amzys USA
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, User Friendly, And Solid..., July 4, 2015
This little tool is definitely the way to go..It not only keeps it as simple as it can be, but it also is very user friendly. Its a perfect size for getting a good grip on, and the top easily moves to either lock or expose the blades when in use. The up and down spring action and shape of these blades are perfect for easy operation on a piece of beef or whatever, and it really does perforate it perfectly for tenderizing. A clear plastic housing fits on the bottom to protect the blades and base when not in use. About the only thing I would say against this thing is not really a liability, but probably a safety feature. The top has to be gripped pretty good to be moved, there is no tab or slot for your fingers. It would be easier if they had included something to grip, but I can understand why they didn't. This thing open with the spring action in place would be some serious crying waiting to happen in the hands of a child. The blades on it are extremely sharp and would easily cut or puncture anyone's hand. I think a small child would have a much harder time unlocking this the way it is than an adult and that is a good thing. I suggest you always keep it locked and out of the reach of little hands. All in all a super little tool that works great, is very easy to rinse and clean, and I highly recommend it... : )

Lawry's Spaghetti Sauce Spice & Seasonings, Original Style, 1.5-Ounce Packets (Pack of 24)
Price: $27.77
8 used & new from $27.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost As Good As Moms...Great Sauce And Memories.., July 3, 2015
I remember when I was a kid my mother making her great spaghetti dinners. She would get up really early and make the sauce, meatballs, add the sausage and pepperoni, and then put it all into a big pot on the stove to simmer well into the afternoon. When she made it on a weekend I remember sleeping late and waking up to the aroma of sauce bubbling and couldn't wait to join her in the kitchen. There was just no better memory of her cooking than those great suppers, and the smell of it all simmering. They are remembered as the best meals I have ever had. Although I still make a lot of my own spaghetti dinners from scratch, like everyone else these days sometimes time just doesn't allow us the luxury. In the past I have tried other quick spaghetti sauce mixes and had at best so so results. It wasn't until I tried this Lawry mix that I finally found something that I can well live with when I don't have the time for a sauce from scratch. It really is quick and easy, and it makes the best sauce that I have ever had from a mix. Just using it alone it comes out nice and spicy and delicious. But when you add the meat to it, it is down right superior. A lot of people on here have left their own additions and touches and I am no different. I always add a little more garlic to the sauce, and, sometimes a little red wine and grated cheese. (The wine really does tangy up this sauce and I am not always in the mood for it, so its not all the time). And I prefer to also add the sugar suggested, and simmer it for a longer period of time than directed. In any event, whether you use this straight. or doctor it to your own pleasure, this is by far the best mix I have had. Its hard to find in stores and always available here on Amazon in a multipack at a fair price. Its not exactly my Moms sauce to be sure. But sometimes when I am simmering it I swear I am a kid again running downstairs early on those mornings when she at her best, and tasting her great sauce with a hunk of Italian bread. Oh the memories.. Highly recommended.. : )

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20