Profile for faith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

faith RSS Feed (Louisiana, USA)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [VHS]
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [VHS]
VHS
Offered by MOSTLY MEDIA
Price: $3.27
46 used & new from $1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Campy!, December 17, 2000
I saw this movie for the first time on television when i was very young - maybe 10? I've always remembered the movie - and I am the only person I know who did. Even my mother, who bought the album for me way back when, didn't remember it. That is, until my obsession with proving its existence brought me to buying both the VHS and CD. This movie is pure camp. I view it as a spoof on other musicals, melodrama, and the overabundance of "good versus evil" provided by the contemporary Star Wars (the battle between Billy Shears and Maxwell Edison is simply lovely). As a bonus, the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, Sandy Farina, and Frankie Howerd all do renditions of classic Beatles' tunes which are to be judged separately from the originals. No one will ever sing "Lucy" like the Beatles - but in the context of the movie, Diane Sternberg does an exceptional job that is independent of the classic. Aerosmith's "Come Together" actually can hold its own with the original. Personally, I think the movie is worth watching simply for George Burns' softshoe version of "Fixin' a Hole" - well, that and seeing Peter Frampton in that oh-so-sexy silver disco suit. It's time to "Get Back" to movies that are just plain fun, and Sgt. Pepper is a great starting point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 9:57 PM PDT