Profile for avidreader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 55

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

avidreader RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
UCO Clarus 150 Lumen LED Mini Lantern and Flashlight with Dimmer and Strobe
UCO Clarus 150 Lumen LED Mini Lantern and Flashlight with Dimmer and Strobe
Price: $18.22
64 used & new from $10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 13, 2014
Didn't work on arrival. Had to return it.

Rubbermaid Commercial FG295773BLUE Large Deskside Recycling Container, 41.25-quart, Blue
Price: $17.28
13 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13, 2014
Sturdy, dimensions are accurate, it arrived promptly. What more can I say?

Oceanstar In-Drawer Bamboo Knife Organizer
Oceanstar In-Drawer Bamboo Knife Organizer
Price: $19.99
18 used & new from $17.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall this was a good purchase. I picked it based on the dimensions ..., July 13, 2014
Overall this was a good purchase. I picked it based on the dimensions of my drawer and it's just right. My only complaint is that my two largest knives (which are within the size range the product description says will fit) don't fit into the slots all the way. The blade fits in, but then the handle gets in the way so they end up sticking up a bit and are kind of unstable/wobbly. This doesn't interfere with closing the drawer though so I'm going to keep it.

LBL Lighting HS472AMSCLEDMPT Cylia - Monopoint Low-Voltage Pendant, Choose Finish: SN: Satin Nickel Finish, Choose Lamping Option: LED
Offered by Lamps com
Price: $300.00
6 used & new from $300.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Color looks nothing like the photos!, February 21, 2014
Online photos make this fixture look like a cheerful, sunny iridescent amber. There's one daytime pic from LBL Lighting that even shows a group of them dangling above a dining table and it looks pretty like a sunset.

So imagine our surprise when we opened the box to find a very dark, mostly purple piece of glass. We were expecting iridescent, but the fixture is almost entirely purple and at some angles has a striped look. The only part that looks amber is the inside of the globe. I guess it's a really neat looking light, but completely misrepresented by the pictures online.

It was so unlike the photos that the retailer's customer service department even thought the warehouse must have sent the wrong color (when I sent them a photo showing what we had received). So they ordered a replacement globe from the vendor, but when that arrived it was exactly the same.

It didn't go with the room at all so we sent it back.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Replacement Chair Tips with Felt
Replacement Chair Tips with Felt
Offered by Supply4Biz
Price: $16.96
12 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great - fit 3/4" legs perfectly - now my chairs are quiet!, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Replacement Chair Tips with Felt
I searched high and low to find something that was gray/silver and 3/4" to fit my chair legs. The felt on the bottom of these was a bonus.

Also, the bar stools we used them on have slightly curved/bowed legs and there's a "crossbar" (for lack of a better word) very close to the ground, so I was half expecting these not to fit. What I didn't realize is that these are even made of slightly flexible plastic so they conform perfectly to the shape my chair legs.

Now the chairs slide quietly and easily. These are perfect and I'm glad the pack came with extra so I can simply replace whenever one wears out.

It's the little things that count and this was a simple, effective product and a great buy!

Guidecraft Kiddie Rocker Couch (Blue)
Guidecraft Kiddie Rocker Couch (Blue)
3 used & new from $104.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going after 8 years and ready for another family, January 27, 2014
Truly built to last! This chair was a gift when our first child was a toddler. Eight years and two kids later, they are finally outgrowing the chair, but it's still in perfect condition, so it will go to another family really soon. We've loved it so much we'll be sad to see it go! This is one of the best purchases ever made for our kids - a good value on a quality item worth every penny and more. Our 30lb dog even took to sleeping on it for awhile and the chair is no worse for the wear. :) Sometimes adults have sat in it with the kids and it is sturdy enough to handle that. It's so rare to be able to find a children's products of such high quality these days. We did put different fabric on the chair soon after buying it (grandma made a replacement zip-off slipcover from IKEA fabric using the original zip-off cover as a pattern), but we stuff it with the same foam and the foam has lasted all this time, too.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So impressed with this thermostat!, September 7, 2013
Wifi access, 7 day programming and a more user friendly programming interface were our top needs when replacing our old thermostat.

Initially we just figured we would get the expensive, but much talked about, Nest. However, when we started reading about its temp swings and sometimes glitchy behavior, which also seems to be fairly common among all "smart" thermostats, we decided we'd rather have reliable control over the unit instead of having a thermostat with a mind of its own.

So we intentionally avoided the competing "smart" products too and instead went for this more affordable and surprisingly well designed Honeywell! The reliable name and the fact that our a/c installers talked about Honeywell's solid customer support also influenced our purchase.

From the first moment I used this thermostat I was incredibly impressed. The touch screen was easy to use without having to read any instructions. Such an intuitive interface was a relief after years of various programmable thermostats that were clunky and confusing with so many buttons to press to set up each day's schedule. With this guy, I had all 7 days (each is different for us) set up in just a few minutes. This alone makes it a great product!

It also has a clean and attractive design that is low profile, yet wide enough to cover the blemished area of the wall where our old thermostat was. With the Nest we surely would have had to patch, which might have detracted from its aesthetics anyway.

The wifi was also easy to set up and we are impressed with the app, too. You can pretty much do everything via the app that you could do if you were standing right in front of the thermostat. When first connecting I think it took 2 tries to get the app and thermostat to "talk to" each other. That was 4 days ago and so far it has worked beautifully since.

We have a second a/c unit and are thinking about buying a second one of these thermostats for that system, but we will give it a few months to be sure it continues to live up to our now high expectations.

**UPDATE**
One month in and we still love this thermostat! Never had a connection problem with it so far. We are contemplating buying a second one for downstairs b/c we're so happy with it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless outer pockets and other flaws, June 27, 2013
I'm quite sad to be giving this bag a so-so review, but there's just no ignoring its flaws.

First, it is a nice looking and very high quality bag. The colors of the Kavu bags are always so vibrant and fun.

Also this bag has surprising capacity for its size. I used it on a trip to Disney World for all 5 days and it held everything we needed.

I like that it's easier than a backpack when you know you'll need to access the contents of the bag often while out and about. You can sort of twist the bag around to your front with one hand and access then zippers. And I like being able to clip a water bottle to the rope strap (since it doesn't have a water bottle pocket).

But there are problems. First and most obvious to me was that the outer small zipper pockets are almost useless. The larger one is not even big enough for a cell phone or sunglasses. The width is okay, but lengthwise it's barely long enough to fit credit cards. I keep my cards in a very slim cardholder, but that wouldn't fit. So right off the bat I saw that I could not easily access the items I need to reach most. The other tiny exterior pocket is even less useful. I ended up putting two hair elastics and a tiny tin of mini mints in there. That's about all it can hold.

Also I was surprised to find that it doesn't actually work well to wear the bag over my left shoulder, which I prefer, because it doesn't lay right across the back. It kinda sticks up and is awkward. Instead it must be worn on the right shoulder. I thought I could get used to this, but it drives me a little crazy.

Third, the thick rope strap began to rub my shoulder/neck after the first few hours of wearing the bag during my travels and by day 5 I was having to take it off and on at intervals because of the irritation.

And fourth, because if its uneven weight and lopsided shape, the bag often doesn't hang well on the back of a chair at a restaurant (falls off constantly) and anytime you set it down on a flat surface it falls right over.

Overall I wish I had noticed more of this stuff before my trip so I could have returned it. I really wanted to like this bag, but I'm afraid it's just going to sit in my closet now.

Baggallini Only Bagg
Baggallini Only Bagg
Price: $54.96 - $125.14

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough structure or organization, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Baggallini Only Bagg (Apparel)
I have owned this bag for over 5 years and have probably only used it a dozen times or less and pretty much grab it for travel only because it's lightweight, but I do not find it very functional for everyday use. It was originally quite expensive so I keep trying to like it, but more than once I've contemplated throwing it into a garage sale pile. Although they seem to have redesigned the interior pockets somewhat, the bag is mostly still the same.

It is really durable and holds quite a lot and I love that it is so lightweight when empty. My problem is that the material is so floppy that it doesn't hold things in well and doesn't perform well when only holding a small amount of stuff because items get completely lost inside. Also, when you try to fish something out of the bag, if it's not full, the sides are constantly falling in on your hands so it is difficult to even see inside and you get confused which pocket you're reaching into. I also wish the large side sections of the bag had different interior colors or something to make them not identical because when I do use this bag I am constantly looking in the wrong side for items that are inside the interior zip pockets and then realizing "oops, that's on the other side."

The bag's lack of structure is as much of an annoyance when the bag is full because the contents shape the bag, instead of the sides of the bag holding in the contents, thus the sides of the bag tend to bulge when it's very full and then it is hard to zip. You have to set it down, use your hands to push in the sides of the bag in order to get it to zip. Only then do the sides of the bag kind of "hold in" the items.

Overall not a good purchase. Disappointing because I generally like Baggallini's designs.

Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac - Silver
Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac - Silver
Price: $49.99
31 used & new from $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Replacing it under warranty for the 2nd time!, June 5, 2013
* YET ANOTHER UPDATE*
It has been 10 months since I received the replacement keyboard for the first one I bought, which stopped holding a charge, and the same thing is starting to happen again. This time I called Logitech and was on the phone with them for 46 MINUTES just to get the warranty exchange set up. To their credit, the gentleman on the phone was very nice and helpful and tried to offer me some alternate products in trade since this was the second keyboard to go bad on me, but the alternate options he offered are things that sell on Amazon for much less than the K750 (one is $19.99 and the other is about $35) so they were not really comparable items. It took way to long to get this done on the phone. But worst of all now they said I have to ship back the defective keyboard BEFORE they will mail the replacement - which means I will be without any keyboard for several weeks! They didn't make me do this the first time. I think it's ridiculous they would do it this way, but they were adamant even after I argued with them a bunch. My job involves typing all day long so I can't use my abbreviated laptop keyboard without wrist and neck pain. Maybe I'll borrow a keyboard from someone. Not sure what to do! But I'm pretty upset at having to do this again and about this ridiculous wait for the replacement. It's sure turning me off Logitech!

*ANOTHER UPDATE*
It has been 5 months now since the purchase date and Logitech is about to send me a replacement keyboard. Their customer service was polite and efficient and I didn't even have to ask for the replacement. They just asked me a few questions and then immediately asked for a shipping address so they could send a new one, so I was at least impressed with that and am giving them a star back for now to reflect the great customer service. It took me awhile to contact Logitech since my last updated review, and the problem with the keyboard holding a charge only got worse over time. I tried putting it in all different locations in direct sunlight, even leaving it all day long outdoors in direct sunlight on a clear 90-degree day, and nothing seemed to charge the battery enough to last more than 30 min to an hour. Yesterday it only worked for about 10 minutes, so then I left it by a sunny window for the rest of the day and this morning it wouldn't even work at all. I hope this is just a lemon and that the next one will last longer, but I see there have been a few other reviewers with this same problem, so I'm not going to hold my hopes too high.

*UPDATED REVIEW*
Sadly, I have to take back all the wonderful things I said about this product because after 4 months of flawless use, it suddenly doesn't seem to be holding its solar charge well. This started a little over a week ago. I run out of power constantly, at least hourly while trying to work, and have to move it into directly sunlight and leave it there for at least 30 minutes to get it working again, and even after that it doesn't last but an hour at most. I'm not sure what happened to it, but this is very frustrating and I'll be contacting Logitech to see what can be done about it.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
I can't remember the last time I made a technology purchase that was so easy and seamless. All I did is plug in the universal receiver on my laptop and voila! It all works. No complaints whatsoever. Keys are a tiny bit louder than my last keyboard, but I quickly got used to it. The feel of the keyboard is good; keys have a nice, sharp "click" to them, which I like. The low profile and slim design made more room on my desk too - not to mention no wires and the universal receiver is so tiny.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6