Profile for avidreader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

avidreader RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Cuisinart DLC-4CHB Mini-Prep Plus 4-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Cuisinart DLC-4CHB Mini-Prep Plus 4-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Price: $38.64
31 used & new from $34.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as powerful as my old one (same product) - the bigger work bowl is a plus, June 24, 2015
I bought this to replace a Cuisinart mini food processor that had lasted about 15 years. It's basically the exact same as the original one, but the work bowl on this new one is a bit larger, which I like. However, the new one doesn't seem to chop with the same power as our old one did. I'm not sure if the older ones had more powerful motors or what. Also it doesn't chop as evenly, so you might chop some nuts for instance and have a mix of powder and slightly larger pieces of nuts mixed in, whereas our original one chopped and ground things more evenly. It's still a convenient option to have around the kitchen for smaller chopping and puréeing jobs (like a little batch of pesto, chipotle sauce or hummus or chopping a large amount of nuts or fresh herbs), but I don't find myself using it as much as I used to because of its not-as-good performance.

I don't know what happened to this product compared to the old one because they even look identical in the shape of the body and the bowl. Maybe it's just another example of "they just don't make 'em like they used to" - oh well!

Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker
Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker
Price: $29.95
5 used & new from $24.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Messy and awkward, but makes really good coffee, June 24, 2015
It's a little messy and fussy to make coffee with this device, but the end result always tastes great! We use it as a backup for a plumbed in espresso machine or for travel and camping.

Ozera Popsicle Molds Ice Pop Molds for Toddlers, Small, Set of 6, Green
Ozera Popsicle Molds Ice Pop Molds for Toddlers, Small, Set of 6, Green
Offered by Ozera
Price: $15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The sticks on the handles tend to slip out of ..., June 24, 2015
The sticks on the handles tend to slip out of the popsicle when you try to remove it from the mold, so you often end up with essentially a big juice ice cube. You can sort of stick the handle back into the frozen pop and balance it on the handle, but then it's awkward to eat it.

Global G-48 - 7 inch, 18cm Santoku Hollow Ground Knife
Global G-48 - 7 inch, 18cm Santoku Hollow Ground Knife
Offered by KITCHEN COUTURE
Price: $122.95
7 used & new from $116.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to use - precise and smooth in the hand, June 24, 2015
Wonderful knife! I use it every day - much more often than my standard 8" chef's knife now. It's light and easy to cut quickly and precisely. It also fits better in my in-drawer knife block because the blade tapers out so smoothly into the handle and it doesn't have a big chunky bolster or cap. My Wustof and Henckels chef's knives each have such a thick heel and bolster that they stick up and wobble awkwardly b/c they never have quite fit into the storage slots.

VIGO VG02001STK2 PullOut Kitchen Spray Faucet, Steel
VIGO VG02001STK2 PullOut Kitchen Spray Faucet, Steel
Price: Click here to see our price
24 used & new from $193.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish we had spent more for something better, May 18, 2015
I wish we had spent a little more and gotten something better that has a true spring that flexes and extends and with better water pressure, but for what you get this isn't a bad price I guess.

Here are the pros and cons (more cons than pros):

-Water pressure is SUPER weak on regular flow setting (spray is much different) even though we removed the regulating cartridge.

-When clicking back and forth between spray flow and regular flow, the button often gets stuck in a weird halfway place and you have to press it a couple of times to get it back to the setting you want. This wouldn't bother me if we were happy with the pressure on both settings, but since pressure on regular flow is poor and we keep it on spray a lot of the time, this is pretty annoying.

-When clicked to spray setting, the pressure is pretty good (a lot better than our last pull-out sprayer was on spray setting) so we pretty much always keep it on this setting since the regular flow is so terribly weak; however, this means a lot of water splashing out and we have to constantly mop up excess water from the countertops around the sink. I also worry that this will cause us to have to re-caulk along the bottom of the backsplash more frequently to make sure water is not seeping down behind things.

-The faucet's spring doesn't flex enough to reach the head all the way into the corners of our 10" deep, single-bowl sink, even though that's what these spring head faucets are supposed to be designed for, but in this case the spring seems to be just for looks. We were able to adjust the horizontal arm down to get it a little closer, but it still doesn't reach all the way, and also now the spray head dangles really low all the time and it's harder to fit large pots under it, so you have to swing it out of the way to set them in the sink, then swing it back. Seems like the whole spring "neck" should have been designed better and have more flex.

-The built-in soap dispenser container that comes with this Vigo is about half the size of any others we've owned, so it doesn't hold much soap and we have to refill it a lot more often. (I don't care that it's stainless b/c you never see it anyway; tried to actually switch it for our old plastic dispenser, but the new pump doesn't fit the old container.)

-The sticking-out part of the faucet on/off handle gets loose (unscrews a little) over time with normal use, and every week or two I'm having to re-tighten it, which isn't difficult, but makes it feel cheap. We used to have a Grohe faucet with the exact same type of handle design and never had this problem.

-The faucet does look nice; we get compliments on its appearance.

-We like that this specific faucet is not as tall as many other pull-down faucets of similar style. That is the main reason we picked it b/c we have a window and windowsill over the sink designed in such a way that it would not work well with a taller faucet. So that's the main thing we are pleased with.

Overall this product has been fairly disappointing, but the cost of returning it to Amazon and the hassle of re-installing another faucet does not seem worth it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2015 3:37 AM PDT

Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 - Glossy Black
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 - Glossy Black
Price: $22.79
70 used & new from $13.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap feel, clunky/loud key action, May 18, 2015
So I finally decided to buy this keyboard after I had been through THREE replacements (free from Logitech over a period of about two years) because I bought their solar K750 and they kept failing. There are two reasons I went ahead and bought another Logitech, despite my terrible experience with the K750: 1. since I also have a Logitech mouse and unifying receiver I like the seamlessness of that setup and also it keeps one more USB port free; 2. Logitech did take care of me for the most part when the solar keyboards kept failing, replacing it more than once at no cost to me, although the final replacement was more of a hassle than it should have been.

But right out of the box, I am immediately disappointed with the K360 keyboard. It has a very cheap feel (though granted also a very cheap price). From the photos and reviews stating that it has "flat keys" I was expecting similar key feel and action to the K750. This is not even close. The K360 is LOUD and awkward and requires a lot more force to hit the keys compared to the Logitech solar keyboard I've gotten used to, and it's unfortunately a lot easier to accidentally hit multiple keys at once while typing. It's so different that I am making many typos per sentence right now while writing this review, and I have to keep going back and fixing them!

The other problem, though this is minor, is that Logitech doesn't make this model for Mac, so of course I'm having to make adjustments of my use of keyboard shortcuts and function keys. Though this is something I can easily get used to, and I would not complain about it if the keyboard was otherwise good.

On the plus side, this keyboard was a snap to link to the unifying receiver.

Probably I'll only use this keyboard until I find another one that is better. Or I might even switch back and forth between this and the K750, which will still charge up, but doesn't last all day anymore.

I wish they made a wireless version of the K750 that is battery operated instead of solar b/c it would be a really nice keyboard if it weren't for the solar battery failing every 8 months or so.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Solidly built and effective, but flawed, April 23, 2015
We have now owned this vacuum for about 3.5 years. It is reliable, it is high quality, but it is not perfect. I love that it really seals up the bag contents and doesn't kick any dust and crap back into the air when you vacuum with it. I have terrible allergies, especially dust and dust mites, so was worried when moving into a house with carpet for the first time in a decade and that's why I bought such an expensive, workhorse vacuum. The suction is great. We use it on carpet and hard floors and I'd say it works equally well on both (this was one of my main reasons for buying it). Sometimes I'm surprised that it won't suck up certain things (loose change on the floor) while it will suck up things that are even bigger (an entire sock). The few times it has clogged I could easily pop off the hose myself and remove the offending item - no need for a screwdriver even - and I am not the type to usually try to perform surgery on my own appliances, so when I say it's easy to do I really mean it. We use it at least weekly to vacuum the entire house (2200 sq ft) and some weeks several times to spot vacuum individual rooms. The swivel head is really nice and makes a huge difference in ease of vacuuming around things and getting close up against walls. So here are my complaints: The replacement bags and filters are pretty expensive, though they do last a long time. My biggest complaint is that for an expensive, German-made appliance it has some surprising, not ergonomic design flaws. The tools are difficult to pull out and snap back into their spots and the brush tool has to be turned "just so" for it to fit back in. The position of the hose attachment is underneath the cord, so if you want to pull the hose out you either have to unwind the entire cord (even if you only need a few feet of cord to reach the outlet you're using) or you have to very awkwardly pull the hose out from behind the cord. The on/off button is in just the right spot on the handle that you constantly hit it by accident while using it. The foot pedal is hard to hit just right to get it to recline back, especially if you have larger feet (dh complains about this). Though once it reclines back, it can go all the way flat, which is really nice for getting under beds and such. There is a good handle on the back for carrying it up and down stairs (it is a bit heavy, but that doesn't bother me and just speaks to the good quality of the interior parts). My final complaint is about the suction level adjustment. We just keep it on the highest setting all the time and never change it. I don't think it was worth paying for this additional feature (the next model down is a little cheaper and doesn't have it) because we truly never use it. Overall I'm glad to have this vacuum and plan to use it until it dies, or until we don't have carpet anymore, but given the incredibly high price there are things that could be better about it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 7:18 AM PDT

Leader Accessories Pro Series Heavy Duty Outdoor Round Fire Pit Cover 44 inch
Leader Accessories Pro Series Heavy Duty Outdoor Round Fire Pit Cover 44 inch
Offered by Leader Accessories
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, April 15, 2015
Works great with our big sky firepit. It has rained several times and no leaks. Seems very durable.

Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser by AromaSoft - Powerful Easy To Use Ultrasonic Home Spa Oil Diffuser With Auto Shut Off Safety!
Offered by Lumen Marketing
Price: $72.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The changing lights are so cool. I was concerned by some of the negative ..., April 15, 2015
Works as described. The changing lights are so cool. I was concerned by some of the negative reviews. We've had ours a few months and so far they're both still working fine (bought 2 for different rooms). Also, one of them got tipped over by one of the kids and I thought it might have been ruined from the water spilling the wrong way and all over the machine, but we waited for it to dry overnight and it started right back up again. I'm knocking off one star because I think they were a little expensive for what they are, but still cheaper than some of the similar products out there on the market. (I really don't understand why these tiny ultrasonic diffusers cost as much or more than a full-size ultrasonic humidifier.)

Squish Over The Sink Colander
Squish Over The Sink Colander
Price: $20.39
12 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an awesome purchase! Everyone who comes over for dinner and ..., April 15, 2015
This was an awesome purchase! Everyone who comes over for dinner and sees me use it leaves here wanting to buy one. My only complaint is that it's too big to fit in any of my drawers (the dimensions are published, but even so it is surprisingly large once you see it in person). But I can live with that since it works so well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8