Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for avidreader > Reviews

Browse

avidreader's Profile

Customer Reviews: 84

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

avidreader RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Osprey Packs Questa Daypack, Minty Green
Osprey Packs Questa Daypack, Minty Green
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $46.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed for a "women's" pack, June 5, 2016
I own another Osprey pack and this one does not compare. I don't understand how this is considered a women's pack because it doesn't adjust down tightly enough, the straps are stiff and wide, and the chest strap is too low even on its highest setting. Not the best from this brand.

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table (Random House Reader's Circle)
Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table (Random House Reader's Circle)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for book clubs, June 5, 2016
Overall this was an enjoyable read. Ruth Reichl has such an interesting and complex life story. It made great book club discussion.

Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
by Yotam Ottolenghi
Price: $21.08
107 used & new from $14.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes require lots of flavor adjustment, quantities seem off, April 18, 2016
I do not agree with the reviewers who say the ingredients in this book are too obscure. For an experienced cook, they are not, and that's obviously the audience this book is geared toward. There are a few ingredients here and there that might not be easy to find in a typical supermarket, but again, those with a decent amount of cooking experience should have no problem figuring out a substitution or which ingredients could just be omitted without having a dramatic effect.

However, this book does have other glaring problems: For one thing, I have to make a surprising number of adjustments to the spices, salt, lemon and other flavors in each dish. Many of the recipes turn out bland and I end up doubling, or even tripling, the amount so that the flavor is there. Also, the quantities of food produced by the recipes are pretty strange. A few reviews here mention that the UK-US conversions are not accurate, and I'm wondering if that could explain both of these problems?

Out of six or seven recipes I've made so far, some produced enormous quantities, enough to feed a giant dinner party, while others made barely enough to feed four people. One appetizer dip recipe resulted in such a ridiculous amount that even after serving it to group of 7 people, we were still left with TWO full quart-size containers filled to the max and I ended up tossing some out! A similar thing happened with one of main dish grain recipes. My family could have eaten it every day for a week. Yet a butternut squash recipe only made enough for 4 people to each have one spoonful.

The format is also bothersome. Dividing recipes up by cooking methods is a bit odd. I don't find that useful. Usually I have certain ingredients or a particular thing is in season, or maybe I'm in the mood for a certain vegetable. But rarely do I think, hey, I really feel like braising something right now! What can I braise? ;) That's just silly.

Also, there are some wasteful oversights in the ingredients/instructions. For example, a butternut squash dish where instead of roasting the seeds you just pulled out of the squash, you're supposed to buy pumpkin seeds and roast those? Another example, a recipe that calls for cooking three types of grains in separate pans of water, then mixed together in the finished recipe. Why wouldn't you just add each to the boiling water at the appropriate intervals so they all finish at once and you use less water/energy/pans? Not logical.

And this is nit-picky, but the ingredient lists for each recipe are formatted in very narrow columns that are hard to track. I'm constantly glancing back and forth at the page, double checking to make sure I'm reading it right - especially when preparing more than one recipe at once - which is a distraction and a waste of time. If I have a different book open on the other side of me, I've noticed I'm not doing that as much with the other cookbook simply b/c the page formatting is just more readable.

What I do like about the book is that it does offer some really satisfying vegetarian flavor combinations. A few examples are the butternut squash dish with Greek yogurt sauce, one of the simplest recipes in the book, or the grain pilaf with sour cherries in it - but again I had to adjust the spices and flavors a LOT to get them right. Once I make my own adjustments to the recipes, they have all tasted good.

OllyDog Treat Bag Plus, Blue Loop
OllyDog Treat Bag Plus, Blue Loop
Price: $14.00
4 used & new from $9.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some good aspects, but also some negatives, April 5, 2016
It starts out great, but I've been through two of these now in about a year. The sewing where the belt clip part attaches always comes loose (it's started happening with my second one) and the magnetic closure is weak. This means sometimes my treats fall out b/c the thing either gapes open or it droops downward from the clip where it's attached to my clothing or the included waist belt. Also once the clip starts failing, the entire pouch falls off a lot and lands on the ground, which distracts my dog and screws up training.

The size is actually quite good for holding a lot of treats, but it's just one large compartment that has a kind of "black hole" effect where things disappear down in the bottom and are hard to get out. I REALLY wish it had 2 or 3 compartments inside to keep different types of treats separated. I end up using tiny ziploc bags to separate my treats and smush them all into the compartment. But then some invariably settle to the bottom and this effects my timing while training.

I do like the look of it and the fun patterns. And I like that it comes with an optional waist belt. I like switching between this waist belt and another one I have that attaches to my leash, and sometimes just clipping it to my clothing instead. So in that way it's versatile and that's a big plus.

The outside zipper pocket is very handy for poop bags and a clicker.

O Grill 600 Portable Grill, Orange
O Grill 600 Portable Grill, Orange
Offered by Brookstone
Price: $199.99
2 used & new from $175.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grill, they should design a better carry bag though, March 21, 2016
We've owned this grill for at least 5 or 6 years now. It's fabulous! Works great, lights easy, gets super hot, the grate is relatively nonstick and easy to remove and clean, the rounded shape of the grate fits into the kitchen sink for scrubbing. Heating across the grill surface is pretty even, with the outer edges slightly cooler than the center, but that is typical of most grills. Love how it folds up and fits neatly in our garage when not in use. It is our only grill. We decided not to buy a large grill and we are perfectly happy with this one. We use it in the backyard and also have taken it camping. My only complaint is about the carry bag, which was a separate purchase. It doesn't "seal up" and instead just has a drawstring closure at the top, so when in storage the grill does still collect some dust since the bag doesn't keep it out. Also, the strap on the bag isn't really adequate for toting such a heavy item. It's a bit awkward to carry and the grill utensils stick out the top because they're long, so I get poked with them when carrying it. I'd like to find a better bag/container for the grill. But the grill itself is awesome.

Vet Works 60 Bacon Flavored Pill Treats
Vet Works 60 Bacon Flavored Pill Treats
Offered by Speedy Ships
Price: $13.81
26 used & new from $13.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Less messy, holds 2 pills, smells great, February 24, 2016
We actually like these much better than Greenies. My 37 lb dog loves these. He gobbles them right up. I like that they're large enough we can fit 2 pills (1 capsule and 1 small tablet) inside one treat. This also saves us some money since we have to give 2 pills twice each day so with other brands we might use 4 pockets per day, but with this brand we just use 2. These are firmer and much less messy/gross/greasy than the Greenies. I am able to simply put the pills in the opening, then punch both of the ends of closed to hold in the pills. Even if they still are poking out a little, it has not deterred my dog from eating them right up! The smell of these is also much better than the other brand; these have a smoky, bacon smell.

My only negative comment is I wish they would offer a version for dogs with food allergies. Chicken is a common allergen and some of the other ingredients in these can also be triggers.

The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander novel, continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The series probably should've ended with the original 3 books, October 24, 2015
Not as good as the first three. There are places where it seems the author had to work to hard to fill in gaps or make connections to the earlier books in order to bring old characters into this new story. I'm not sure this would've made any sense at all without reading it in sequence with the others. Many of the plot details are contrived and things are tied up a little too neatly in some places. I did enjoy all the hacker stuff and kind of wish there had been even more development of that.

AT&T EL51203 DECT 6.0 Phone with Caller ID/Call Waiting, 2 Cordless Handsets, Silver
Price: $37.68
38 used & new from $25.03

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, good price, October 5, 2015
It's a phone. It works. Sound is clear. We use it with a VOIP line no problem. It's just a backup/emergency line for us in case cell service is interrupted so we only use it once in awhile.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Works really well, October 5, 2015
Good product. Works really well, but the instructions are awful. Seems like they were written in 1970 and never update or revised (just like the package design and logo haha!)

Coastal Pet Products DCP6643BLK Nylon Standard Adjustable Dog Harness, Medium, Black
Price: $12.43
5 used & new from $10.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it!, October 5, 2015
After trying several other newer, higher tech, gimmicky harnesses, which my dog kept chewing through and didn't live up to their no-pull claims, etc., we went back to this reliable standard harness, and it's awesome. Simple, no fuss, does what it should and no extra pieces to fiddle with or break/chew. The fit is plenty adjustable for our skinny yet wide-chested boxer mix and it has a metal ring in front and back to work with all types of leashes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9