Profile for StarLight > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

StarLight RSS Feed (NYC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Feelin' the bliss, December 1, 2013
I purchased this starter kit with the knowledge that I already love the moisture cream. I have dry skin, and the moisture cream works very well under foundation to keep my skin looking great throughout the day. I've found that the other products also work well and smell nice. The face wash doesn't leave my skin feeling dried out, which is great. So, as a moisturizing system? I love it.

Diet Analysis Plus 2-Semester Printed Access Card
Diet Analysis Plus 2-Semester Printed Access Card
by Wadsworth
Edition: Printed Access Code
Price: $42.92
74 used & new from $22.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Use ONLY if required for class, February 13, 2012
I had a nutrition class last semester and it required the use of this program for a diet analysis project. I was planning on buying it, but fortunately our college library had the program on several computers for student use. Honestly, this program is not horrible, but it needs a lot of improvement before I could recommend it to anyone. It has mostly prepared meals listed, and the mode of preparation is not really an option for the system to consider. Oh and greek yogurt was not even listed in the system which is a sign that a lot of foods are not available for tracking.

So, if you need this for school, go for it. But if you are buying this for tracking your diet, I HIGHLY recommend checking out caloriecount.about . com; It is a free website where you can find any food or brand imaginable (even fast foods) and you can do everything this software does but better. You can sign up for a (free) account and track your progress for days or weeks and monitor your calories as well as vitamin and nutrient intake.

If I could have used that program for my project instead, I would have. Anyway, just putting my experience out there. I'm sure this program has been helpful for others but I recommend checking out the free alternatives before buying a program like this.

Sliding Closet Door Lock 2-Pack
Sliding Closet Door Lock 2-Pack
Offered by Etailz
Price: $6.61
8 used & new from $4.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, with just the right amount of adhesive, August 21, 2011
This product works exactly how I wanted and expected. Good Quality. Some people mentioned that the adhesive is too weak but I disagree. It is very strong and only comes off if you REALLY force it. Yes, it did come off for me once, but only because I forced it open, not remembering that I had put the door lock's there. It restuck perfectly and is still strong after the accident. When it did come off, it did not take any of the wood paint with it, which was a concern for me as well.

I bought this primarily to keep my *very strong* 1 year old son from opening the sliding closet door and taking out all the clothes... It works perfectly. He no longer even attempts to slide it open.

For some crazy reason I thought that this only came with one door lock, so I bought two. Turns out, it does come with two door locks in one package, so now I have an extra. Overall, very pleased with this purchase.

Campbell Biology Plus MasteringBiology with eText -- Access Card Package (9th Edition)
by Jane B. Reece
Price: $192.42
124 used & new from $63.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as Campbell w/o Masteringbiology, August 21, 2011
This textbook is the same book as the *more expensive* Campbell Biology, also being sold on amazon... The difference is that you also get access to Masteringbiology, which is about 50 bucks on their website. This is obviously the better deal. Anyway, the book arrived brand new and vacuum-sealed with plastic (2 Layers!). Perfect condition. Aside from that, the book is very nice. There are many pictures and diagrams and the text is easy to read, unlike some other textbooks I am required to read... I have already outlined the first few chapters and I am very happy with the purchase, because it is a good textbook, it is much cheaper than my college bookstore, and it included Masteringbiology in the price.

Edit: Just wanted to add that on the Masteringbiology website, you also get access to the Campbell Biology E-book (normally $100 on their website with the mastering), so you don't have to carry the book with you to school for access. I just have to stress how great this E-book is, really. I normally don't love reading books on my iPad with the kindle app; it just doesn't feel the same. But I read this textbook my iPad using the Pearson app and it is fantastic. It looks exactly like the book and you have the option of leaving sticky notes and highlighting things for later. Oh and reading the book is generally online, but you can choose the chapters you want to download for reading offline. I hardly even use the printed textbook these days.

Edit 2: Since amazon has linked the reviews of both books, you should search specifically for Campbell Biology with MasteringBiology® (9th Edition).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

Belkin Mini Optical Glow Mouse  (Blue)
Belkin Mini Optical Glow Mouse (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable and Functional, August 8, 2011
This mouse is very very small and therefore, great for traveling or simply if you want a small mouse. I bought the mouse in blue and the color is very true to the online image. I find it very comfortable to use, even considering my previous mouse was much bigger. The thing I love the most about the mouse is the retractable cord. It is very well designed and you won't have to worry about a long cord bothering you while using the computer. This was a major issue with my last mouse. Overall, while it may not be ideal as a designated desk mouse for those with very large hands, it meets my needs and I love it. I use it with my toshiba netbook and they look so cute together, LOL.

MAM 2 Pack Original Silicone Pacifier, 6+ Months, Colors May Vary
MAM 2 Pack Original Silicone Pacifier, 6+ Months, Colors May Vary
Price: $5.99
8 used & new from $4.40

5.0 out of 5 stars If your baby doesn't like other pacifiers, try these..., June 18, 2011
My son has tried so many different types and brands of pacifiers, only to find that MAM are the only ones that he likes. The Avent ones are a close second but they fall out easier than these. My son used the smaller MAM ones before but after 4 months or so he wanted something bigger, and this was it. When choosing a pacifier, try to consider the kind of bottle nipple your baby likes. Mine uses the Playtex bottles, so I suppose he is used to a larger nipple. The gerber pacifiers were very highly recommended to me, so your baby may like those if they use a bottle with smaller nipples, such as Dr. Browns bottles. Anyway, good luck and I hope this pacifier will work for your baby too. It has saved us from hours and hours of complaining. :-)

Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating and Losing
Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating and Losing
by Christine Avanti
47 used & new from $0.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Nutrition Book, But Not Loving the Recipes, June 12, 2011
When I got my hands on his book, I thought I would simply be looking through the book for some basic ideas and recipes to lose weight without living on salads. Somehow, after opening the book, I ended up actually reading all of it. I think Christine Avanti is a great writer and nutritionist and thats why this book pulls you in. She takes the time to explain exactly what you have to do and eat so that you will lose weight and boost your metabolism.

The main point she gets across in the book is to eat every 4 hours during the day to maintain stabilized blood sugar.During these 4 meals, you should be eating around 400 calories and always be sure to eat a PC Combo. This basically means a combination of Carbs and Proteins. Carbs? Yes, your body does need carbs to function properly and be healthy. The protein works to slow the absorption of the carbs until your next meal.

This is because too much sugar/carbs at one time leads to high blood sugar, which trigers your body to release insulin and store fat. This is a formula for weight gain.

Other Main Points:
- Eat Breakfast within 1 hour of waking up, every day. Even if you don't feel hungry.
- Pay attention to glycemic index (the rate of sugar release of certain foods) of carbs and eat foods with a lower GI.
- Eat a PC Combo at every meal.
- If you are going to drink fruit juices, squeeze them from fresh fruit.
- Try to drink only water and sugarless tea. Anything else you do drink, drink it as part of a PC Combo Meal.
- Try to eat fish 2-3 times per week.
- Take an Omega-3 and B-Complex Supplement.
- Drink 2 cups of tea (sugarless) daily. Green Tea is especially recommended.

Overall, this book is very easy to read. I literally read it in 1 day and I am not a speed reader. There are Transformation stories within the text to help motivate people throughout the book. All of the nutrition advice makes sense and I can see how people lose so much weight by following this program. I have started this recently and I will update this review in a few weeks with my own personal results.

The only thing that I don't like about this book is the large section dedicated to recipes. Yes, there are a lot of examples with a lot of different foods, but I honestly only found 2 or 3 that I would ever actually see myself making. The basic ideas in this book are great and I will apply them with foods that I can make at home that me and my picky husband will actually eat. Despite the not so useful recipes, still a great nutrition and diet book.

SuperFoods
SuperFoods
by Annabel Karmel
Price: $12.57
111 used & new from $0.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for First Time Moms, June 11, 2011
This review is from: SuperFoods (Paperback)
I have to say that this book has shed a lot of light on what babies should be eating at each stage, from birth to 3+ years. It was more important for me to know the foods for the first year and when it is appropriate to introduce new types of food to my baby. In addition, this book spends a lot of time describing the nutritional information and benefits of these "super-foods".

I wouldn't exactly characterize this as a cookbook, but there are a lot of recipes in the book that demonstrate how to apply the foods mentions in a more efficient way. For example, Annabel Karmel tells us that fruits and vegetables containing Vitamin C help to better absorb Iron into the body, so it is recommended to pair Iron-rich foods (such as iron-fortified whole grain cereal) with fresh fruit juice. She also gives some great examples of finger foods for babies 9-12 months. Since the first few years of life are very important for babies and children, it is great to have a book like this one. Below are some interesting facts I've found in the book. Enjoy!

-Manufacturers can hide the amount of sugar in their product by listing several different sources of sugar- thereby making them appear lower on the list of contents. Also, the term "no added sugar" can be misleading, for the product could still contain honey, glucose, corn syrup, and concentrated apple juice, which are very high in sugar.
-Fruit Juices are not very healthy. It is best to search for 100 percent juices or squeeze the juice from the fruit at home.
-Frozen Fruits and Vegetables often retain more nutrients than unprocessed, because they are frozen within hours of harvest versus fresh fruit and vegetables that may have been stored long before use (and thereby lose many of their nutrients).

The Five People You Meet In Heaven
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
by Mitch Albom
Price: $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Tuesday's with Morrie, June 9, 2011
I initially read another novel by Mitch Albom, the very well known Tuesday's with Morrie. While that was a good book to read in high school, I feel that this book really influenced me much more. I was in tears a couple of times while reading this book. All the different scenes and images are described in great detail and make the book very difficult to put down. If I didn't have other responsibilities at home, I would have finished it at one sitting. I did however, finish it very quickly and loved every moment. Usually I don't like books that shift time periods frequently, but Mitch Albom makes it work well into the storyline. I was in constant suspense at who the next person in heaven he would meet would be. And I am not even a religious person. It is just a great story: very interesting and inspirational. I think the main purpose of the book is to tell readers that during a lifetime, your actions influence a great number of people, whether or not you realize it.

The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking
The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking
by Dale Carnegie
161 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book by Dale Carnegie, June 8, 2011
I loved reading Dale Carnegie's books since I picked up How to Win Friends and Influence People. His writing style is very easy to read and he is always giving examples to make the content as clear as possible. That being said, The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking is a great book. I personally preferred How to Win Friends and Influence People over this book, so if you have not read that book, I would recommend reading it first. However, if you are specifically looking for a book on Public Speaking, Dale Carnegie is a great author and he has several books about this topic. This one is great and I recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7