Profile for Philipp Marian Selman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Philipp Marian Selman RSS Feed (Fort Wayne, Indiana)

Page: 1 | 2
Alera Ravino Big and Tall Series High-Back Swivel/Tilt Leather Chair, Black
Alera Ravino Big and Tall Series High-Back Swivel/Tilt Leather Chair, Black
Offered by Supply4Biz
Price: $225.41
33 used & new from $219.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Wonderful, Not Terrible, January 22, 2012
I'm not altogether blown away by this chair. First off, it wasn't particularly easy to assemble, not because it didn't come with instructions (not like it's rocket science to assemble a chair), but because the hardware didn't seem to fit together once I figured out how to assemble it. I had the same wobbling problem that many other people have reported, but that turned out just to be the tilt-back hinge malfunctioning... which, considering I thought for months that this beast simply couldn't tilt back at all, nearly resulted in my landing hard on my rather substantial posterior when the hinge finally let loose. The chair is comfortable enough. I'm 6' 4" and have no complaints about how high you can adjust it. It goes up more than high enough for me. The seat is firm, but not so firm as to cut off circulation. Most importantly, I don't feel like I'm going to crush this thing every time I sit in it, which is a real bonus over many a so-called heavy-duty sitting machine I've sent to an early grave.

Wacom KP701E2 Intuos4 Art Pen with Stand
Wacom KP701E2 Intuos4 Art Pen with Stand
Price: $84.99
31 used & new from $84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Illustrator's Must-have Stylus, January 22, 2012
I went for years without one of these amazing styli, and I don't know how I managed it. This thing is amazing! I love having the extra freedom to rotate my brushes and get truly natural brush strokes. It works just as advertised, even with my 2007 Mac Pro. If you're serious about digital illustration, then you owe yourself this luxury.

Shock Doctor Men's Supporter with BioFlex Cup (XX-Large)
Shock Doctor Men's Supporter with BioFlex Cup (XX-Large)
Offered by Respro Medical
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $10.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Cup, Lousy Supporter, January 22, 2012
I think that I used this twice before the elastic started to unravel. At any rate, I was far from impressed with the supporter itself, which wasn't particularly comfortable as such things go. The cup seems to be well built, and although I (thankfully) haven't had the opportunity to attest to it's ability to take a hit, I continue to use it, but with far better built supporters. Not a product I'd recommend.

STAINLESS STEEL HOOPS WITH BALL Gauge: 16, Ball Size: 4mm, Length: 12mm Sold as a Pair

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, January 22, 2012
It's hard to mess up something as simple as a pair of earrings, but these are really nothing special. The hoops themselves are a little flimsier than you'd expect, and they came misaligned. Even after bending them into shape, they didn't stay together so well. I eventually just took the balls, which are nice and large, fitted them to a different pair of hoops, and pitched the hoops that came with this set altogether. No big deal, but I wouldn't buy them again.

Swingline 747 Rio Red Stapler, 20 Sheets, Red (S7074736)
Swingline 747 Rio Red Stapler, 20 Sheets, Red (S7074736)
Price: Click here to see our price
84 used & new from $11.77

5.0 out of 5 stars The Red Swingline Stapler You Want!, January 22, 2012
What can I say, it's exactly what I hoped it would be... and more! You see, my department was restructuring, and I got moved from a cushy desk to a makeshift station in a space that had previously been occupied by an industrial printer. So I decided to make a statement. Needless to say, everyone got the message. But imagine my surprise when I actually had to staple something (a rare event at my "paperless" company). This thing is built for action! Really, it's built like a stapler from a previous age, back when manufacturers made equipment that was supposed to last. It's really heavy duty! I have a feeling this will be the last stapler I'll ever need to buy... unless someone steals it.

Ear Force X41 (XBOX LIVE Chat + Wireless Digital RF Game Audio with Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound)
Offered by The Raisin King
Price: $129.95
36 used & new from $36.45

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Meets This Audio Snob's Expectations, January 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Let me start off by saying that I'm an consummate audio snob. I work in the pro-audio and recording industry, and I have little tolerance for bad sound. I originally bought a headset from a company whose professional products I deal with on a regular basis. Unfortunately, their gaming headset neither lived up to my expectations nor proved to be compatible with the controller I use. Needless to say, when a friend recommended this Turtle Beach headset (Turtle Beach??? Who the heck are they?), I was immediately skeptical. Man, was I in for a surprise. This headset sounds amazing. The X41's psychoacoustic interpolation of Dolby's surround sound encoding is so good that when a helicopter flies overhead in Battlefield 3, I instantly know exactly where in the sky it is. I've taken out more than a few would-be knifers too, just because I could hear the gravel crunching under their feet as they came around from behind me. The realistic experience that these headphones provide is simply incredible. The communications side of them is also pretty good. The microphone is perhaps a bit too sensitive and it tends to distort a little. I've also had a few issues with minor feedback, but I suspect my controller is the problem, not the X41. Overall, I not only would recommend this headset, I often have in the short time I've had it.

Razer Onza tournament edition -Xbox 360
Razer Onza tournament edition -Xbox 360
Offered by Your Favorite Website
Price: $149.89
6 used & new from $78.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Controller... Hit-or-miss Build Quality, January 22, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
When it works, the Onza is an absolutely AMAZING controller. It's so good that (other than the down time) I didn't mind replacing it when it stopped working after only a month and a half. In fact, the tensionable thumb sticks and the ultra-responsive button are so nice, having to use a standard 360 controller for those few days was simply torturous! So far, I'm only on my second Onza, the defective one having been replaced promptly under the manufacturer's warranty. I know several other people who've purchased this same controller, and theirs have also died within a couple of months, always to be replaced immediately by Razer. I even like this controller so much, that I'm willing to put up with the serious problems it seems to have with third-party headsets (the Turtle Beach X41 works okay). So, if you're a serious gamer, I wouldn't steer you away from the Onza per se, but you may want to pick up a second one right away.

I just hope Razer reads these reviews and takes the issue seriously.

Aquatopia Deluxe Safety Bath Thermometer Alarm, Green
Aquatopia Deluxe Safety Bath Thermometer Alarm, Green
Price: $8.00
15 used & new from $8.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not So Great, January 22, 2012
At this point, I'm really not sure that I like this thermometer at all. On the plus side, it has a large, easy-to-read display that I can see even when I don't have my reading glasses on. That's nice, but I hardly consider that to be an outstanding feature. What I don't like is how quietly it beeps. Even without the water running, it's virtually impossible to hear, so forget about using it to adjust the temperature as you fill the tub. But even if there's a bit of background noise (and when is it entirely quiet at bath time) I can't hear it. So the beeping feature is altogether useless, because I have to look at the display anyway. To me, that kind of defeats the purpose of this particular kind of thermometer.

Fellowes Memory Foam Wrist Rest, Black (91782)
Fellowes Memory Foam Wrist Rest, Black (91782)
Price: Click here to see our price
42 used & new from $7.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough, January 22, 2012
Considering how few Memory Foam wrist wrests there are to choose from out there, I guess this one is as good as it gets. The thickness is excellent. I use a full-sized mechanical keyboard, and it's just barely thick enough, but most of the time, I don't keep my wrists on the rest itself as I type, so that's fine for me. If you use a more modern low-profile keyboard, and you like to keep your wrists on the rest as you type, you'll be fine. The foam itself is very comfortable. It's firm, but it contours nicely to the weight of your wrists with none of the gooey feeling of a gel rest (which I cannot stand).

The shape is a little odd. I'm not sure what the deal is with the curved edge on one side. That puts the thickest part of the rest near the right shift key, and not the middle of the home row, which feels weird when I do put my wrists down. Needless to say, I would have preferred the whole thing to have been straight. Over all, this wrist rest is good enough for me, and its pros outweigh its cons.

Olloclip 3-in-1 Lens for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S
Olloclip 3-in-1 Lens for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S
Offered by Pavilion Electronics
Price: $99.99
11 used & new from $32.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but there a few things you should know..., January 22, 2012
First off, I have to say that I want to really like this product. I've been an amateur/semi-pro photographer for many years. I used to shoot with film back in the day, and made the switch to digital reluctantly. These days, I use a pro-grade Canon rig with point-and-shoot Sony as backup. But I don't always have my cameras on me. So, I find myself taking a lot of snaps with my iPhone.

This lens kit (which is small enough to ride in my messenger bag all of the time) adds a world of versatility to the camera I always have close at hand. In the week that I've had it, I've already taken countless snaps with it. The quality of the glass is really quite good (none of the extreme chromatic aberration I was afraid of), and the lenses do pretty much what you'd expect them to do.

That said, there are a few cons you should know about before you buy the Olloclip. First, the wide-angle lens really likes to come unscrewed from the macro lens, so you'll need to be careful when you take it out of the carrying bag. Second, the Olloclip itself covers up your flash. That's not a big deal, since the flash on the iPhone is pretty much useless to begin with. Last, and most importantly, the lenses themselves cut off the very edges of your optics, so you get rounded black borders on every shot you take. If you follow the rule "frame wide; crop close," then you'll be fine, but that was an unpleasant surprise to me. One last thing, the picture of the lenses that I ordered showed them in black, but the ones I got were red. That doesn't bother me, but it's worth mentioning.

Over all, I'm okay with this kit, but I probably would have looked around more if I'd have known all of this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:38 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2