Profile for Paula Shaw > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paula Shaw RSS Feed

Code to Joy
Code to Joy
by Peter T. Lambrou
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful, Innovative, Enjoyable Read, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Code to Joy (Paperback)
Although Dr's Pratt and Lambrou support the concepts in this book with valid references to neuro-science; don't look for this book to be a technical, scientific reference book, rather it's written for the general public and reads as an engaging story until you get to the 4-step process. Being a therapist who also uses Energy Psychology processes, I was primarily looking for the Four Step Process that they put forth in the book. However, I found the first part of the book so engaging that I read it anyway. Although the book has a great deal of scientific information, you don't have to "read it with your teeth." I will definitely recommend it to my clients.

"I had Drs. Pratt and Lambrou's previous book on acupressure for the emotions, and have integrated several of their methods into my counseling work, so I was curious to see if this book would have anything new. After reading a 'sneak peek' at the forward and introduction at their [...] website, I decided to order it and take a look. I was pleasantly surprised. Where their previous book dealt primarily with emotional relief, this book digs deeper to the core beliefs that often drive emotional overloads and create what they call a 'fog of distress'. I love the term "fog of distress," it's so vivid and clear (no pun intended). Being a grief therapist, working on a soon to be released book integrating Mind/Body approaches with grief work, (Turn Your Frown Upside Down), I found this phrase a perfect description of what I call an accumulation of unreconciled mini-grief experiences. I'm not sure fog of distress is what my clients would call their inability to sustain joy or happiness in their lives, but it's the label Pratt and Lambrou use and as a metaphor it works. It so aptly describes the pervasive, nagging feeling of "something's not right but I'm not exactly sure what it is," that my clients so often report.

Drs. Pratt and Lambrou also enlighten us about what they call micro traumas, the small hurt feelings, criticisms, insults, and shaming experiences of childhood as well as other damaging real life experiences like a child being left for an hour standing outside a school waiting for a parent to arrive, or a lack of soothing after a bullying experience at school (2 examples I've seen in my clients). These micro traumas accumulate and form distortions of how a person sees themself in adulthood. This term "micro traumas," in my thinking, aptly describes the myriad of small loss experiences that go undetected and unhealed in people's lives every day. This is what leads to that accumulation of grief that I mentioned above.

I've seen how this has happened for many of my clients and how those losses form beliefs like, "I'm not loveable, or I'm inadequate" and so on. These beliefs later get triggered by certain circumstances in adulthood and can cause a person to become limited in their ability to feel good about them self or about their life and relationships.

I easily understood the concepts that the authors were bringing to light and felt that they dovetailed perfectly with my own beliefs and experience. I liked the clean, simple way they explain how these limiting life beliefs develop. They give lots of examples that readers can easily relate to. The 'fog of distress' was explained in an interesting way when I (the reader) was asked to guess how much water was in a square block of thick fog. I won't reveal the answer here.

Their description of the flea and the elephant as a metaphor for the relationship of the conscious and subconscious minds, provided a great visual that I'll use with my clients to help them understand how powerful subconscious beliefs (the elephant), can drive us in one direction even when the conscious mind (the flea), wishes to go in a different direction.

I liked the simplicity of the 4-step process: Identify the belief; Clear the mind/body biofield; Repattern the limiting belief to a new and productive one; and then Anchor it for permanency.

Each step has some relatively easy exercises that I went through myself for a personal issue and found that it did what they intended. I've integrated several parts of the process into my work with grieving clients with very successful outcomes. Most clinicians will find something in this book that they can use to help their clients, and readers who aren't suffering a clinical disorder, can, for a small investment of time and money, find solid help with lifting their personal fogs of distress. And, without a doubt, all will find the read enjoyable.

Paula Shaw CADC, DCEP
Author of Chakras, The Magnificent Seven

Dialogue with the Devil: Enlightenment for Unwilling
Dialogue with the Devil: Enlightenment for Unwilling
by Yves E. Patak
Price: $14.73
37 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A great opportunity to learn from an 'Out of the Box' format., January 31, 2011
Anyone who has read Eckhart Tolle's New Earth will love this book. It simplifies an understanding of the ego and the role it plays in holding us captive to our fears. This is a corageous book that can open your mind and your heart. I highly recommend "Dialogue with the Devil," it addresses all areas of our lives: sex, money, life, and death, in an entertaining yet provocative way. It inspired me to stop being afraid and start living!