Profile for doughboy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

doughboy "Doughboy" RSS Feed

Invicta Men's 10500 Pro Diver Chronograph Red Dial Two Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Price: $88.01
4 used & new from $84.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid value and RED, September 3, 2012
This is the 2nd Invicta I have purchased and made that decision based upon my purchase of a 9310 in 2007. I have more than a handful of watches of varying makes and believe Invicta provides good value. I realize better quality makes exist but they cost more, too. My review is based on 1 mo. of experience with the watch.

PROS:
Appearance
Movement
Value

CONS/CONCERNS:
Slightly tight bezel
Luminescence
? Flame-Fusion crystal?

I wanted a red faced watch with an alarm and conducted an exhaustive search. A Seiko was the closest I could find to what I wanted but did not wish to spend that much (50-75% more) and it did not look as good as the 10500 IMO.

The 10500 is a seemingly well-made, beautiful watch. In person, the dial color matches the color displayed in the "measurement" photo on Amazon rather than the main photo. The face is easy to read with outlined black markings and the second hand hits the dial marks precisely -- this is my 2nd Invicta that has demonstrated this behavior and cannot be assumed even with high-end quartz Swiss makes. This is a Japanese movement, which I have no concerns about; in fact, when it comes to quartz movements I believe Japanese movements are just as good or better than Swiss.

The contrasting blue lume color against the red face was a draw for me. The lume is adequate - barely - but remember that blue lume, in general, will not be as bright as yellow or green on any watch you purchase. I have a Swiss watch that employs several colors of high-grade SuperLuminova on the hands and markings and the blue color is far and away the weakest of the colors on that watch.

The solid link bracelet provides good value for this price range but is not up to my Seiko or ESQ. The polished grey center links look nice but show fingerprints very easily. The crown and pushers are all screw down and have smooth action.

Although the bezel is a bit tight, its coin edge makes it easier to move than the scalloped edge on my 9310 and Invicta's bezels are known for loosening up with time. However, you will not mistake it for the smooth, high-quality bezel travel of other brands. Only time will tell about the Flame Fusion crystal. My preference would be a sapphire or high-quality mineral crystal but the sapphire brings a different price point.

Overall, this watch provides the value I have come to expect from Invicta (purchased 2 as gifts & 2 for myself). I recommend them to everyone but understand what you are and are not purchasing. You are not purchasing the top-end bracelet, bezel ratchet, SuperLuminova, etc. on an Omega ... also, you are not paying the 4 digit price.

Panasonic DVD-LS86 8.5-Inch Portable DVD Player (2001 Model)
Panasonic DVD-LS86 8.5-Inch Portable DVD Player (2001 Model)
2 used & new from $150.00

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, June 18, 2011
It has poor picture and when you get up close it is very blocky. It also has a very long battery life.

Gunvault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe Gun Safe
Gunvault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe Gun Safe
Price: $139.51
22 used & new from $129.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed immediately, May 1, 2011
Upon speaking with two gun shop owners plus a good friend who owned a Gunvault for years and receiving strong endorsements from them, I decided to purchase it despite a number of poor reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. The unit is roomy and has interesting features (i.e. comes with an A/C adapter for power back up purposes). The unit worked fine at first, then 19 hrs. later failed to release the latch (correct code input, hear a whir sound, but the door does not release). The exact problem many reviews mentioned presented itself in my unit < 24 hrs. after purchase.

This type of product needs to be RELIABLE! Amazon was great about the return, and I purchased a DAC Sportsafe from an Amazon vendor. The Sportsafe felt higher quality out of the box, and I will write a review of it in the future.

Vantage Point CGUPM12-S Universal Front Projector Mount - Silver
Vantage Point CGUPM12-S Universal Front Projector Mount - Silver
Price: $75.96
2 used & new from $75.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile mount ... just pay attention to assembly instructions, March 18, 2009
This mount is well-built (all metal, no plastic), versatile, and impressive. If this mount does not meet your mounting requirements, no commercially available mount will. It has a small footprint and could be used and re-used for numerous projectors over the life of the owner. When assembling it, ensure that you pay special attention to the pictorial (minimal text) instructions, especially the angle of things in comparision to the front & side of the projector.

The short arms (2 sets are provided) fit well on my Optoma HD71. I did not end up needing to use the 6" extension when installing it from a platform above my drop ceiling but am glad to have it for future uses (I plan to take the mount with me if/when I move). I did have trouble with one of the hollow, height-adjustment mounting screws jamming TIGHT -- it would not move. I adjusted the other two screws to its height but it is evidence of manufacturing deficiencies.

This mount is highly recommended!

Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Mat (Regular)
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Mat (Regular)
Offered by Campmor
Price: $19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A high quality must have, October 30, 2008
Research indicated these were high quality vs. the competition. After the first use, I prefer these to an air mattress because they do a better job of retaining your body heat. They cushion a little bit and roll up into a light, reasonably sized roll. Camping in 36 degree weather you could definitely tell when your sleeping bag or arm would fall off the mat.

Invicta Men's 9310 Pro Diver Collection Swiss Quartz Watch
Invicta Men's 9310 Pro Diver Collection Swiss Quartz Watch
Price: $68.52
20 used & new from $67.89

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT value! with some flaws, August 25, 2008
Upon noticing this watch, I had a friend tell me how envious he was of me - "I guess you need to get your second kid out of the way before you get to buy your `Submariner.' I have been asking my wife if I could get one for years with no luck." Later that day I told him that I liked the Tag he was wearing. "Not as nice as yours" was his response (His Tag cost 12 - 15 times what MY "Submariner" cost).

I have only had this watch for several days, so my review is based upon that experience. I hope to update my review a couple of years in the future. I bought it because my ESQ of 9 years was with the repairperson being cleaned, is having some problems, and ESQ discontinued the model. I have owned Pulsar, Timex, Michel Herbelin, and an ESQ 200M diver and my review will compare my impressions against those timepieces, especially the ESQ.

PROs:
Appearance
Movement
Value

CONs:
Tight Bezel
Luminescence
Grinding screw-down crown

First, this is a STUNNING, beautiful watch! It looks better than the photos. Depending upon the light, the color changes from blue to purple to royal blue. The watch case has Invicta engraved on one side and looks elegant. The Invicta logo wings on the back of the second hand look classy.

The crown has a Swiss cross raised on it and is of the screw-down variety. It threads with a grinding, unnatural feel, and I fear it will mis-thread and fail over time.

The bezel is tight and rotates with great reluctance (an apparent Invicta trait). I use the bezel a lot and am disappointed I will be unable to use it much on this watch. The bezel on my ESQ is near perfect, and I am puzzled why Invicta cannot improve this aspect.

The luminescence is disappointing. When exposed to direct, unfiltered sunlight the lume is initially fine but fades within an hour. My ESQ puts it to shame.

The band (brushed silver links with polished gold links) is fine, looks GREAT, and does not pull my arm hair but does not feel as heavy or as high quality as my ESQ's band (I cannot image what the "folded link" bands on lesser Invictas are like). I have read in these reviews that the 23k gold plating comes off rather easily over time.

The movement is Swiss and seems fine. The second hand hits the watch's tick marks much more precisely than my ESQ.

Overall, I believe the watch is a great value. I chose it because I would have had to move to the $400 - $500 price point to find anything else close to what I liked and Amazon offered a free extended warranty. Although I would not have purchased this watch without the extended warranty, I may purchase other Invicta's without it depending upon my experience with this one.

UPDATE 11/12/11: Three years later and I have nothing but great things to say about this watch. Aside from some scuffs on the clasp and scratches toward the bottom of band from normal desk diving wear, the watch remains beautiful. Note that the scratches are on the center polished portion of the band but the gold plate remains fully intact; the brushed outer links look fine.

Since it was under warranty, I did recently return it Invicta for its 3-4 year cleaning. It was returned to me with a slightly looser bezel, so that was a pleasant surprise. However, the movement also no longer hits the tick marks exactly (similar to my Christopher Ward). The cleaning cost me $56 (initially I thought it was only going to be $28), and I was without it for 3 months. In hindsight, I probably should have simply taken it to my local jeweler ($45 and without it for 3-6 weeks) and will do so in the future.

CosaminDS-Nutramax Joint Health Supplement, 108 Capsules (2 Pack)
CosaminDS-Nutramax Joint Health Supplement, 108 Capsules (2 Pack)
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $76.19
5 used & new from $72.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Arthritis relief and no more joint cracking, January 19, 2008
Cosamine DS is a top notch product recommended to me BY THE prominent SPORTS MEDICINE SURGEON that operates on the local professional athletes. It has improved my arthritic shoulder developed from 20 years of weightlifting. The other thing that I noticed later on was that my elbow, knee, and thumb joints no longer made "cracking" noises.

This product is more than another unproven supplement. The double-blinded study was performed at the University of Illinois. Although it is a bit more expensive that other glucosamine and condroitin brands, I know Cosamine DS provides me the standardized, purified dosage used in the U of I study.