Profile for MikaNici > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MikaNici "A Nhappy Soul" RSS Feed (Illinois)

Kid Satin Bonnet
Kid Satin Bonnet
Offered by ALL ABOUT BEAUTY
Price: $7.24
3 used & new from $1.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Not actual satin?? Material is too rough., March 23, 2015
This review is from: Kid Satin Bonnet (Misc.)
I was disappointed. This "satin" looks and feels much more like cotton. Not silky at all. Definitely not enough to protect my child's hair which was the one and only point to the whole purchase. Pass on this.

Dream On Me, Layla 2 in 1 Bassinet To Cradle, Light Blue
Dream On Me, Layla 2 in 1 Bassinet To Cradle, Light Blue
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars WHAT IS THAT SMELL???, January 16, 2013
I am happy I bought this in advance of my child's birth. The bassinet has been out of the box and assembled in my room for about a month and the putrid packaging smell has yet to air out. I was able to launder the bassinet sheet but sticking my head into the bed area the strong smell still lingers. Such a negative!! The basinet itself I am pleased with. It will serve its purpose as I already have a crib for long term use. I did not like the fact, though, that the directions were not clear and I had to (as another reviewer suggested) YouTube a tutorial just to put it together.... and ended up cutting my finger. Overall, good for the price but, buyer beware,..... you MUST buy this in advance or your baby will choke on the fuming putrid smell for sure! yuck!

Bitch Is the New Black: A Memoir
Bitch Is the New Black: A Memoir
by Helena Andrews
Price: $20.65
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story Of My Life..., April 17, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. After just reading the first chapter, I cleared my schedule to allow me to finish it within a week. This is the true story, as I know it firsthand, of a 20-something black girl. THIS is the story that I have lived. With so much in the media and our world that attempts to define Black women with stereotypes and labels of everything we are often not, this story is one of the few that comes closest to getting our experience right. This book mirrors how me and my girls lived/survived college and the years after. The men, the work, the struggle, the grind, the WTF-moments, the epiphanies, and the conversations/support that kept us moving each other forward. All of it. It is written how we talked, it is written how we write (IM, text, and all). And mostly, it is written in the essence of all the chaos that surrounds us young women during the years that we are out here 'fighting for our lives'. It is a story that only one can tell effectively if they've lived it, and judging by some of the Amazon comments, it is also a story that may be hard to understand by those who haven't. Maybe it isn't for everybody, but it is for me. And my girls. And their girls. Who one by one, like a ripple, have read the book and passed along the word of "girl, you gotta read this!". It is our story.

When I was in college, I read "The Broke Diaries" by Angela Nissel. That book helped to validate my existence, at the time, as a broke college undergraduate on the verge of quitting it all. It helped me to smile and laugh and realize that "this isht isn't just happening to me". This book is my "Broke Diaries" of today. Just as timely, while I am still yet pushing forward to etch out my path in this world, it helps to validate my current reality as a 28-year old Black woman in that "THIS ISHT ISN'T JUST HAPPENING TO ME", these dudes aren't just out to get me only, and the craziness of this world is not just mine to suffer alone. Via twitter, I thanked Helena Andrews personally for writing this book. And I'm sure when you're done, you'll want to thank her too.