ARRAY(0xa42e9e1c)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 267

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ethan A. Winning "ewin64" RSS Feed (Walnut Creek, CA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Brainwavz M5 In Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Brainwavz M5 In Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $34.50
4 used & new from $25.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and covering the full sound spectrum, April 16, 2014
What a pleasant surprise! I expected the highs to be great, but I didn't expect for earphones at this price point to reproduce the bass so well. I won't even qualify this review by saying, these are great "at this price." These sound as good as any earphones I have at twice the price.

When it comes to earphones, after sound, I'm all about comfort. These are very comfortable (and come with enough tips for any ear), and completely unobtrusive. They come with the "usual" Brainwavz hard carrying case, but these may not see the inside of that case again. I think that these will be my day-to-day earphones. Thank you Brainwavz for finally putting "L" and "R" in big enough letters so that I can (find) read them!

Come Home.  Love, Dad
Come Home. Love, Dad
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Every (New) Father Should Read This, April 12, 2014
For those of us who are fathers of grown daughters with kids of their own, and for those whose kids are just growing up, Shelly Reuben takes us on her journey of growing and becoming an adult with the intended and innate guidance of her father. Growing up away from home, my mother would send letters of advice; my father would send letters of wisdom and humor. And throughout it all, from childhood to maturity, the one thing that was apparent was that our parents loved us. Shelly tells as much in the first few chapters (short stories, really) as she does through the letters that her father wrote. For those of us who are older and had marvelous post WWII childhoods, it makes us long for earlier times and wish that we had reciprocated half the sentiment that our fathers (and mothers) did through their words and actions and ... just being there. Thanks, Shelly.

And the Waltz Goes on: Special CD+DVD Edition
And the Waltz Goes on: Special CD+DVD Edition
Offered by B68 Solutions Limited
Price: $19.49
31 used & new from $9.61

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY disappointed with renditions; poorly recorded to boot., April 10, 2014
I should know by now that you can't tell a book by its cover ... or a CD by one waltz. I bought this because of Anthony Hopkins' "And the Waltz Goes On" which we saw on PBS. Rather than waiting to hear the rest of the program, I kept replaying that one waltz. Even though it was VERY pricey - DVD included or not - I was afraid the price could go higher, so I bought it.

I'm no stranger to waltzes. I'm darn near old enough to have known Strauss. And yet, after listening to the entire CD I found that many of the waltzes were almost like military marches, and certainly had march undertones. I also was unimpressed or just disappointed with the renditions of Eidleweiss, Blue Tango (which ain't a waltz to begin with), and other post-Strauss compositions.

The production quality was poor. There was much too much bass, and the very first selection, Grade Valse Viennoise, should have had the emphasis on "noise" in "Viennoise."

I would have returned it, but we're hoping the DVD will be its salvation. Either way, even at my advanced age, I learned an important lesson about impulse buying. In the music arena, buy MP3s and if there are no MP3s OR at least samples, don't buy at all.

ew

2 Pack Battery Kit For Canon PowerShot SX40 HS SX40HS, SX50 HS, SX50HS, G1 X G1X, Powershot G15, Canon PowerShot G16 Digital Camera Includes 2 Extended Replacement (1200Mah) NB-10L Batteries + LCD Screen Protectors + MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Amazing Deals Online
Price: $14.95
2 used & new from $13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Batteries are Great, but the SX50 is a Power Hog, April 1, 2014
I've been using these batteries for the past three years, first in my Canon SX40, and now my SX50. They cost about a fifth of the original "Canon" replacement/extra batteries. And they used to last about a third longer than Canon's "own" battery. That said, in the past I could get about three times as many photos out of one of these batteries as I can now. These are going dead after about 225 high resolution photos. That's not really the fault of the battery: the Canon SX50 uses at least twice as much power for the processor, info, and zoom as the SX40.

I'm not unhappy with these batteries. It means carrying two extra with me rather than one. The last frontier is batteries! Ask Tesla. Maybe one day, they can make a battery this size with power enough for a thousand pictures.

Kindle for Android
Kindle for Android
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as fast as for a Kindle; More "difficult" on Windows PC Tablets., April 1, 2014
This review is from: Kindle for Android (App)
To access your kindle books on an android tablet, this is the best way to do it. It's a little more cumbersome to get your books off the cloud, but once downloaded to your android (Galaxy tablet in my case), this works out just fine. On the Asus and Dell Windows 8.1 tablets (which are actually PCs), it's even more difficult to access the cloud for previously purchased books. I won't take any stars away for that, but only because there may be an easier way and I'm new to Win8 tablets. (Aren't we all?) Considering how many android apps there are, however, I am at a point where I can say that Android is far easier to deal with vis a vis Kindle and apps in general.

CNN App
CNN App
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Online all the time, and draws battery power on a constant basis., April 1, 2014
This review is from: CNN App (App)
Well, I'll say one thing for this CNN app: it has every unimportant and some important news stories from around the world. This past week, the most important news seemed to have something to do with basketball, and every 5 minutes, I would get a "ping" telling me that some important news story (Lower Upper State beat University College) had just broken. And there's the real rub: getting this news means your tablet or phone are on line and drawing down battery power. I deleted it.

Because I didn't care about 90% of the "news" I didn't look for any control for shutting off announcements. This is not the CNN of 20 years ago, and three stars is generous, but that is a very personal opinion (shared by millions maybe...)

AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black
AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black
Price: $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed, and recommended depending upon your needs., April 1, 2014
It seems that I have recharging or power cords of every imaginable length and plug. Macro, micro, USB plus AC adapters. I got this case to hold them as well as one battery 20,000 mA battery pack. This case is well built, had a hard shell, and one of the pockets is just the right size for the battery pack. But the three pockets for cords are very small, and hold one cable each ... if that. It would have been better to have had one zippered pocket for all the cords that will fit, and that would be about four from what I can tell.

This may well deserve 5 stars for its construction and other people's needs. For me, I wish it was a little larger (in thickness).

Micro Sd Card Holder-RED
Micro Sd Card Holder-RED
Offered by SDcardholder com
Price: $6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Holds Micro Cards, But You Can Still Lose them Just Getting Them Out, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Micro Sd Card Holder-RED (Camera)
This was a little gift from a friend who doesn't know a micro-card from a microscope. It was very nice of him, and a seemingly great idea. The holder does hold all of my 9 micro cards plus the adapter, BUT as with any micro card, when you get them out, they're so small that you can still drop them. The claim that you'll never lose them again is silly. PLUS there's no way to label the cards for content. The only "good" thing is that this doesn't take up more room than a credit card. Now you can lose all of your micro cards at one time.

Every mico card that I have purchased (SanDisk) come with an adapter. There is a case that holds 16 micro-cards in their adapters, and is much more protective and better than this. It may be bigger, but at least I haven't misplaced it yet.

Brainwavz M2 In-Ear Headphones
Brainwavz M2 In-Ear Headphones
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $54.50
4 used & new from $42.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Brainwavz M2 versus Brainwavz S1: Both are truly great, but the M2 "wins" out, March 31, 2014
I have written a review on the M2 and, basically I loved them but I found that the over-the-ear style which allows larger drivers became "annoying" after awhile. It's that little something that you don't realize is bothering you (the touch of the cable on the top of your ear) until it's bothering you. Then it drives you nuts. Other than that, the M2s are marvelous earbuds.

Now, I've been given a set of S1s, and would give it 5+ stars if they weren't a bit "weak" on the bass. Throughout my life, my hearing has been quite sensitive, and I must actually miss the lower decibel level on the M2. The sensitivity of the S1 is 93dB at 1mW while on the M2 is 115dB at 1mW. I seriously doubt that I'm hearing more or less than 20kHz, so it must be sensitivity. I'm a very sensitive person.

Non-technically - because I even confuse myself after all these years - what it comes down to is this: Brainwavz has taken pains to make some of the finest earphones and earbuds to come down the pike in 20 years. They use gold-plated plugs, really good drivers, and have taken care to provide the largest selection of included ear tips with their earbuds. The silver plated cable is another fine feature: I hear nothing from the cables when they touch my clothes. All their earphones/earbuds come with hard, zippered cases which I didn't even see with iBuds (or whatever the folks at "i" call them). And don't underrate the 12 month Warranty: Brainwavz is one of the best companies to deal with from a customer service standpoint.

Their best earphones are the HM9s, but while the experience is like being in a concert hall, after a few hours your ears will get warm.

If you read this whole review, you might notice that after the quality of the sound reproduction, my second criterion is COMFORT. Well, the M2 are the most comfortable earbuds* I've worn, and I've worn these for six hours straight so far. I still get lost in the music, but when I'm working, they provide great background music which drowns out all other distractions, and I barely notice them in my ears. For all-round experience, the M2s are my new best buds.

*I'm sorry, but "headphones" were what I wore in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. From the time of the Walkman, everything else are "earbuds." I wish that the HM9s were around when I was a ham radio operator: now I get to use them for total immersion in my very eclectic music collection, and now at my desk on on the go with my notebook, I will be wearing the M2s.

ew

Deliberate Deceit (Deceit Series)
Deliberate Deceit (Deceit Series)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense That Keeps You Wondering, "Maybe It's True", March 29, 2014
What if bin Laden wasn't killed? What if he's still being interrogated? Mitchell Stevens weaves such a marvelous tale of suspense, intrigue, deceit, politics, and characters that in today's world and culture, you have to wonder whether this isn't closer to the truth than fiction! The plot and subplot in Stevens' prose seems plausible, and though I don't usually become immersed in such books, I kept turning pages (even when I was sick) until I came to the welcomed end. I could finally relax.

This is without a doubt the best debut book I've read. It was difficult to believe that this was his first, not his fifth or sixth which I'm sure are down the pike.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20