Profile for Ethan Winning > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 271

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ethan Winning "Ethan Winning" RSS Feed (Walnut Creek, CA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Clarus Tritan Unbreakable Plastic 15 oz. Coffee Cup
Clarus Tritan Unbreakable Plastic 15 oz. Coffee Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced and comfortable for large or small hands. Good looking, too., September 29, 2014
Evidently, I got the last one before they ran out of stock. I'm waiting right now to purchase four more.

At 15 ounces, it's my two morning cups of coffee without having to refill. And, as large as it is, it's made perfectly for small (my wife) or large hands. It's nicely balanced, and we really like the feel in our hands. We love IT.

Black and Decker EHC750BD 3-Cup Ergo Chopper, Black
Black and Decker EHC750BD 3-Cup Ergo Chopper, Black
Offered by ONE STOP SHOP
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For what it is - a 3 cup chopper - 5 stars., September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since I'm usually banned from the kitchen when using appliances (well, there's a story of a mandolin than I won't go into), my wife is the one who actually reviewed this chopper. Remember, this is not a "food processor."

"This 3-cup Black&Decker Chopper worked very nicely chopping both hard (nuts) and soft (hard-boiled egg) foods. Even though it doesn't have a handle, the bowl was very easy to hold when emptying the contents, which was especially important to me, since my hands are quite small. This chopper does not allow for a slow steady stream of oil for mayonnaise or pesto, functioning strictly for chopping, mincing or blending. This would do very nicely grinding coffee beans because the blade is very sharp and perfect for smaller tasks. I know it will get a great deal of use in my kitchen."

And I'll just enjoy the results.

Professional Long Handled Shoe Horn - Revolutionary Stainless Steel Shoe Spoon With 3-Way Adjustment System - Advanced Twist & Lock Mechanism - Use At 12", 24" or 30"
Offered by Living Concept
Price: $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job well, though hiking and winter boots need a longer tongue., September 18, 2014
I wanted this particular shoehorn for putting on boots for hiking and also not having to deal with wet shoes and boots in the winter. Although I have no real problem in bending over to put on shoes, there's no question that a shoehorn that allows me to put on shoes without having to bend much is a definite plus. That's why I originally got several 24" plastic shoehorns which I still rate as a 5, and here's why the difference: the plastic shoehorns are wider and longer than this, and flex just enough without bending to make putting on boots easy. I found that the spring on this shoe horn gave too much with my hiking boots, and that the width of the tongue (the business end of the shoe horn) was about a half-inch shy in width of what I needed for my heel to slide easily. I'm a big guy, well over 6 feet, and wear an 11˝ shoe. That's a lot of shoe tongue to get by with a shorter horn.

All of that said, this shoe horn was satisfactory, certainly with regular street shoes, and the fact that it's collapsible and fits in a suit case is great. Unfortunately, as I just found out, the TSA wasn't particularly keen on me bringing it on board in my briefcase. Too bad: the line at the airport is a perfect place for using this shoe horn.

I like it, but I don't love it. Certainly should be considered as a Christmas gift.

WD My Passport Ultra Anniversary Edition 1 TB - premium storage with style (WDBTYH0010BCG-NESN)
Price: Click here to see our price

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely portable, fast, and probably more secure than a cloud., September 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had PCs since 1988, and every time I'd get a new one I thought I'd never run out of drive space...even when the hard drive was only 64MB. My first external drive was a tape drive that could be written to overnight and that was for only 500 MB! My reviews of the four WD drives that I've had are relative to those experiences: all WD drives seem incredibly fast by comparison.

I have never filled a PC's hard drive, and I used to back up on floppy disks. Then I got my first WD drive - 100MB - and that I filled. I replaced that with another, and only recently did I feel the need for a 1 TB drive. I've been into photography for years, and have almost 500 GB in photos in the last 6 years alone.

While others feel that WD Passports best feature is security, that has not been my concern. The best feature is storage, and second is speed. Though it took hours to get all my photos onto the Passport, I have hours since I'm semi-retired. I've never had an external drive that was lightening fast, and this is no exception BUT it is faster now that I'm running off USB3 ports.

I'm not opposed to "the cloud(s)." I'm not too sure I trust their security - especially after recent "intrusions" - and that is one more reason for a very small backup drive like the 1 TB Passport. I can simply unplug it if I'm going to be away, and even store it in our safety deposit box. 1 TB can hold all my photos (for now), and all of my remaining business files. I do not encrypt them, and I don't use the software from Western Digital which I've always felt is a little obtuse ... of maybe I'm the one who's obtuse. For automatic backup, I use the Windows OS which I've set to back up once a week. If I were still in business, I might have it back up daily, but in any event, the WD software is superfluous for my needs.

I had to make these disclaimers because I understand that I use and have used these Passports differently than other people. The 1 TB is large; it's relatively fast; it's good looking although since it's either under my desk or in a briefcase I don't care what it looks like. You can't beat the portability. It's small and unobtrusive, and adds little weight if you need to carry it with you. The price is right, but as I said, everything is relative: my 500 MB tape drive cost me over $450!

Last, I can't speak to this ones reliability, but I've never had a WD drive fail and experience is always a key in decision making.

Xperitus BOS-26U Hi-Speed Quality Micro USB To USB Cable (Pack of 5) 3.3 Feet Braided Tangle Free [Type-B] Compatible with Samsung Mobile Phones Galaxy S4, Google Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia 1020, Galaxy S3, Moto G, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch, Sony Xperia, HTC One And More (Green, White, Black, Red, Blue) [Micro USB Cable] Free 30 Days Money Back Guarantee [18 Months Warranty]
Offered by The Ago! - USA
Price: $13.98
2 used & new from $13.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed; no snags or kinks; priced right; and the colors make them easy to find!, September 4, 2014
I received this pack of cables in return for an honest review. I wanted these cables for one reason: the colors which I'll explain later.

Naturally, I also wanted cables with micro plugs that slip easily into any one of my three tablets and a Kindle as well as some charging units. I've never had a problem with the USB end of any cable. It's always been the micro that has had issues. On this point, all five cables worked great and were easier to insert than even those that were supplied by the device manufacturer. I don't know why. They just do.

Second, I like the fact that because of the cable sheath, these don't kink or tangle, and if two or three happen to be together, there's no problem is "untangling" them.

Most important, the colors: I can find them in the recesses of a backpack or briefcase or just lying around the house where I usually keep one in every room. I was really getting tired of looking for the black cords that came with every device I have.

Note that I rarely use the USB end plugged into my computer: they're almost always attached to an AC adapter. I would have loved to have one or two of these cables be 4 feet long to go from wall plug to the top of my desk, and since I know I'm not alone in this regard, I'd recommend that Xperitus come out with longer cords. I'm sure others would like shorter cables when they're using the 3-5 USB charging stations. It may be unfair, but that's the only reason why they get 4 stars.

I noticed no difference in the amount of time these charged any device compared to the manufacturers cables, and I saw no difference in "data" transfer. I didn't expect some sort of instantaneous transfer. They're just cables. Well constructed cables for a surprisingly low price.

Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones
Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $99.50
3 used & new from $74.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great range; lightweight; and the first with a long audio cord., August 31, 2014
This was a tough call because I have the S1 and M2 Brainwavz earbuds. The M2 became my favorite because of the increased bass, and now I was given the S5s to review because Brainwavz says that the bass is even better. With a frequency range of 18Hz~24kHz, and 110 dB at 1mW, the S5s are not quite as good as the M2s, but they blow the competition out of the water and that includes LGs, and Klipsch, and anything that came from Apple.

I played my standard collection through the S5s: that includes Jazz, especially with Wynton Marsalis and the remastered Jelly Roll Morton, some 60's pop, and then the classical test of all, Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto which covers the entire spectrum (that I can hear). The S5s reproduced crystal clear highs and smooth bass without rumble, but definitely more bass than most.

Other than the assorted ear tips (9 sets so you're sure to get a perfect fit), the hard carrying case (a standard for Brainwavz), and the two year warranty, finally someone has produced a set of earbuds that can be worn at my computer where the jack is in front of the PC on the floor and a little over 3 feet from my right ear! The cord is about 55 inches, and I can listen to these very light buds comfortably for hours without them tugging when I reach for something on my desk. That's a big plus for me.

There is one thing that I would take off half a star for: I don't care for over-the-ear buds even if they do (or are supposed to) have better sound isolation. However, unlike previous Brainwavz over-the-ear flat audio wires, these are smoother and a bit more comfortable. If you're younger than I - and most of you are - and haven't lost your hearing attending concerts, then you'll love these earbuds (I can't call them "earphones" which to me have always been worn on top of the head). You're in for a real treat.

OXO Good Grips Plastic Brownie Spatula for Non-stick Pans, Black
OXO Good Grips Plastic Brownie Spatula for Non-stick Pans, Black
Price: $4.99
8 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and flexible, but not wide enough, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's comfortable and it's just sufficiently flexible to get under brownies or cookies, and it's certainly worth the price. My only "complaint" is that it's not wide enough. Either that or OXO is putting me on a diet so that I can only have a two-inch wide brownie. I don't know if I would buy this just for brownies. How often does my wife make brownies? Once a year. I would like this for cookies as well, and there's no question but that it needs to be wider to get cookies off our non-stick cookie sheets.

Surpahs 3-Layer Cross-Laminated Bamboo Cutting Board (15"x11", 4:3) w/ Arc Groove
Offered by Surpahs
Price: $21.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A practical cutting board, but it slips on counter tops while slicing., August 14, 2014
I received this bamboo cutting board as a sample. The size and shape of the bamboo cutting board is quite practical for various slicing, dicing and chopping functions, from a simple carrot to a standing roast. The groove is especially helpful for collecting those juices before they run all over the work surface. The finish on this cutting board is not as smooth as I would like, especially in the grooved sections.

The biggest problem is that while the cutting side of the board is not as smooth as we'd like, the bottom is so smooth that it cannot grip the counter even with a 5 pound roast on it. I don't know the solution since gluing rubber feet on it may not hold when washing, and finding quarter-inch rubber feet to be screwed on are almost impossible to find. It would have been nice if Surpahs could have inset feet for a good grip on kitchen counter tops.

OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4˝ Stars. One improvement needed., August 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The various amounts from a simple teaspoon up to one cup with conversion equivalents and corresponding metric measures makes this extremely practical to use. My wife already used the 2T=1 oz. conversion. Designed for easy storage (no handles) is definitely a plus for those of us with limited cabinet and drawer space. The various colors used for the individual beakers can be functional, but certainly adds greatly to the lovely design of these stacking measures. The only improvement I would suggest is to use a bolder font for the numbers/letters as the reflection from the clear plastic makes it a bit hard to read.

OXO Good Grips Butter Dish, White/Clear
OXO Good Grips Butter Dish, White/Clear
Price: $14.15
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal butter dish!, August 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As my wife said, "The size, shape, grip, and tablespoon markings give me everything I need to make this a perfect butter dish."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20