Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Ethan Winning > Reviews

Browse

Ethan Winning's Profile

Customer Reviews: 755
Top Reviewer Ranking: 507

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ethan Winning "Ethan Winning" RSS Feed (Walnut Creek, CA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wrangler Men's Rugged Wear Classic Fit Jean
Wrangler Men's Rugged Wear Classic Fit Jean
Price: $19.95 - $48.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, perfect comfort (after one wash), perfect price! Heartedly recommend., January 29, 2016
The choices for fit include "Fit as expected." Actually, I didn't expect to fit at all, but I bought these and a black pair. I lost 35 pounds (illness, not will power) and three inches from my waist. I kept tripping over my 40" Wranglers, so it was time to bite the bullet. Besides, Amazon's return policy is fantastic even for clothing.

They were shipped in two separate boxes (?), the black coming a day before the blue. I put them on, and they were PERFECT. I wore them for three days, and the only issue I had was that the side seams chafed when I was sitting. It was really annoying, so I washed them, and the chafing with softener went away. The black chafed; the blue, which came in the net day, didn't.

I originally gave these 4 stars, then read my own review, and bumped it to 5. They fit perfectly, both waist and length, and the price was the most reasonable, half what Levi's on sale were. I did go to a department store, and the Levi's and one other brand were 4-6 inches too small in the waist! I brought my wife's handy tape measure (she's been sewing for over 50 years, and always carry one), and sure enough, The other jeans were the wrong size in both waist and length.

So, when I say that I didn't expect them to fit as expected, I had good reason. Love my Wrangler's. Don't know why I wore Lee's and Levi's for 25 years before discovering these.

Louis D. Brandeis: A Life
Louis D. Brandeis: A Life
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Billiant Legal Scholar of the 20th Century Comes to Life and Puts Business Practices and Failures Into Perspective., December 5, 2015
While most of the reviewers praise the author, Urofsky, one must remember that this is the life of Louis Braindeis, and it is that life which is so absolutely fascinating! As one who taught management courses for 35 years and had a employee-management relations consulting firm for 40 (now retired), all of those issues and cases which began in the early 1900s and later became part and parcel of management practices were touched by the enormous mind of Louis D. Brandeis. He was a man for his times and beyond. He embraced "Scientific Management" before Frederick W. Taylor's lectures were in print (1911, compiled by Taylor's students). Though Scientific Management had its faults, it was the basis for social revolution in industry/business. Brandies was a man of and for his times, but his times spanned decades, and he understood how the country was being shaped.

My take on the book will be different from almost all others, and is a very personal one. My father studied this and Brandeis' work in 1927 at NYU. Without knowing it, I started teaching both in 1966, and NOW I find the basis for how business (and politics) was conducted in the 20th Century. What a revelation! And what a mind Louis Brandeis had! He foretold the collapse of "banking" sixty years prior, and of the political shenanigans almost a hundred years prior. What a person he was, able to become what he became and how he still made time for his wife and children and with what must be considered a fortune, how he lived a rather subdued life in his spare time is a marvel. I think he may have been the greatest 20th Century legal mind and thinkers, brought to life by Urofsky. I wish - having come from Boston - that I had known so much more about his papers when I was growing up. On the other hand, my own papers and thoughts would have paled by comparison, and I would have known it. What Einstein was to physics, Brandeis was to law and social order.

That the law firm that Brandeis started in 1890 still exists today (125 years later) in Boston as Nutter McClennen & Fish is truly remarkable. Few have left such a legacy. Certainly no president has.

Sony ICD-PX333 Built-in 4GB Flash Memory Digital Voice Recorder with Memory Card Expansion Slot + 8GB MicroSDHC Memory Card + USB Cable + AAA Batteries & HeroFiber® Ultra Gentle Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Hot Deals Electronics
Price: $65.12
2 used & new from $65.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, good sound and noise filter. Poor display, terrible instructions, but I like the recorder especially for transcription., November 25, 2015
Having now had the PX333 for over a week, I can give it a fair review. The problem is that if you average the very positive ease of use with the absolutely terrible "manual" (including the online manual) and the almost unreadable screen menus, I might give it a 3 star review. However, by simply playing with it, and making mistakes before I start dictating my book, I've learned what *most* of the functions are for, and may not even need most of them. In other words, I'm going to treat this as I would my 35 year old Dictaphone with micro mini cassettes!

The recorder gets 5 stars for all the basic and actual ease of use (for those things I use). But the three hours I spent trying to find out what the A-B switch was for, how to transfer recordings from the recorder to the micro SD disc (I still don't know the answers to either), how to use the T-Mark and what for, and the micro mini "print" for the display, it was very disappointing. I'm also sorry that I didn't look more carefully, and paid about $15 more than the basic recorder without the Micro SD disc, a cleaning cloth that was not in the package, and another USB cable to go with the 30 I've accumulated in the past four years.

It's handy, it sounds (in Interview and note) modes just fine for transcription, and the quality seems fine. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, and suggest that you try the two English YouTube videos. If you speak Spanish, there are videos where someone explains EVERY function, and how to use them. Otherwise, you can try the manual under Sony.com, but don't expect much.

The Martian: A Novel
The Martian: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars First Year High School Chemistry Notes That Go On and On and On and On., October 25, 2015
Let me be the only one of 30,000 reviewers who thought that this was even more boring than Tom Hanks having an affair with a soccer ball in "Castaway." If there was ever a blog about chemistry (and how easy it is to go from idea to accomplishment), this is it. This book had no twists, was not full of surprises (other than he returns to earth), and if I thought it was predictable, I wouldn't have spent $9 on it.

If two people had survived, at least there could have been some dialogue. Instead, we have one survivor on the Martial surface who tells us how to make water from dirt, throws in what he thinks are "cute" thoughts periodically (well, why not? He's nuts), and never really gets beyond basic chemistry in his ever-lasting lack of adventure on Mars.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to believe another book review on Amazon.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2015 6:42 AM PST

Amprobe BAT-250 Battery Tester
Amprobe BAT-250 Battery Tester
Price: $7.95
6 used & new from $7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a small battery tester than you can hold in one hand. And it's accurate on alkaline and rechargeables., July 12, 2015
Finally, a small battery tester that can really be used with one hand. The battery fills the slot on the left side, and you instantly know how good (or bad) the battery is. Tests alkaline and rechargeable AA and AAAs and "ordinary" 1.5V batteries. I don't use Cs or Ds, but I assume it works as well with those. Great price, too.

Hanes Men's 2 Pack Short Sleeve Pocket Beefy-T, Smoke Grey, X-Large
Hanes Men's 2 Pack Short Sleeve Pocket Beefy-T, Smoke Grey, X-Large
Price: $13.00
3 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value, fits XL perfectly including the perfect length. Better than Carhartt and much better than Fruit of the Loom, July 12, 2015
Although I don't know if these will shrink, I've been wearing these on long walks in fairly hot weather. They're as comfortable as the old Docker's (no longer made), smooth to the touch, lighter than medium weight, but heavier than a t-shirt to be worn under a dress shirt. Unlike the Carhartt's pocket T's which are fairly heavy, knowing what my wife does about fabric, we doubt that these will fray and pill at the color (as every one of the Carhartts has). The bottom doesn't curl and it's not a cheap material as were the Fruit of the Looms that I tried last year. I normally wear an XL, but was a little wary after what people said about sizing, but these are a perfect XL and the perfect length to boot. After we get through a wash, I'll be buying these in navy, black, and gray. And at this price for two, I don't even care if I'm overstocked.

AmazonBasics AAA Rechargeable Batteries (12-Pack)
AmazonBasics AAA Rechargeable Batteries (12-Pack)
Price: $18.57

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Longest Lasting Rechargeable Batteries I've Ever Used, March 20, 2015
They really hold a charge. I use AAA batteries in sound sensitive lighting on stairways, and the batteries last about three months before needing recharging. Considering how often those lights go on and off in a day, that is remarkable. The one I've got in a portable AM radio has been in for over three months.

Sangean DT-120 AM/FM Stereo PLL Synthesized Pocket Receiver
Sangean DT-120 AM/FM Stereo PLL Synthesized Pocket Receiver
Price: $34.98
141 used & new from $27.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great AM Radio; Good FM. This is my second one, and I'm still staisfied., March 20, 2015
As I said about the Sangean's predecessor to this model (which takes two batteries instead of just one like this), these radios pick up AM stations beautifully even though we're in an area surrounded by mountains. But FM - which is line of sight - can be problematic. FM selections have deteriorated to the point where I no longer listened after the last true pop and true classical stations changed formats, but unfortunately "my" baseball team broadcasts on FM now, and that would be one reason for getting this radio. AM gets 5 stars; FM gets 5 stars but only because the signal is broadcast from only 10 miles away. I cannot pick up FM from more than 20 miles. Ten station memory buttons (5 AM, 5 FM) is great even though I only use two of each. If you keep this radio in your pocket while listening, lock the radio on the station (button in the back). Otherwise, the change channel buttons on the front are very sensitive to any touch and they will change just by moving around.

Amped Wireless High Power 800mW AC1200 Wi-Fi Router (RTA1200)
Amped Wireless High Power 800mW AC1200 Wi-Fi Router (RTA1200)
Price: $149.95
42 used & new from $70.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Distance is great; stability of the connection leaves something to be desired., March 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"User-friendly" is a very relative term. The last time I installed a router was some eight years ago. It's not as though I deal with routers every day, so when I got the AC1200, I was apprehensive even after viewing the disc and simplified instructions. My primary concern was that if it didn't work, would my computer still recognize my old Linksys router (which was an absolute bear to hook up). I still don't know the answer because I finally did accomplish installing the AC1200. It took almost an hour, but part of that is just the physical setup of my computer. (Update: I called Amped's help line to get an answer about reverting to the old router, and they returned the call within 90 minutes though I had completed the job. The answer is "Yes, the old router will keep its settings.")

First, why I wanted a new router. I live in an old two-story house. I saw it being built and I know there's chicken wire between some walls. That creates problems with signal strengths from room to room. We have two offices that are only 16 feet (and one wall) apart. The Linksys router gives a reading (on a great Amped App that I got free from Amazon) of 100%. So, there is no problem with our most important network connection. The bedroom which is only 20 feet and two walls away, however, gave a reading of 74%. Downstairs I got a reading of 70%. I didn't even try the garage because I never use my tablets there.

I took readings after I finally got the AC1200 working: Office = 100%; Bedroom = 100%; Downstairs = 90%. I was darn near ecstatic until I took second and third readings. The office remained at 100%, but the bedroom was between 85 and 100%, and downstairs was 75 to 92%. (Just for the heck of it I took a reading of my next door neighbor's wi-fi and it was an amazing 70%, but dropped to 56% not that I really cared, but I was interested to see how much better the range was with the new router.)

So kind of easy to install, but not as stable as I'd like. For the price of this model, I would expect much more stability even in a house that has some chicken wire but is mostly just wood. Would I install a new router if I had known that the "net" result was just a little better? Probably not since I have to give the router a plus for stability if not for strength. I should mention that we don't do much downloading, have never watched a movie on any computer or tablet, and have no problem with YouTube or Wimp videos or streaming music. So for us, the expenditure wouldn't make much sense.

Anbesol Maximum Strength Oral Anesthetic Gel, 0.33 Ounce Tube
Anbesol Maximum Strength Oral Anesthetic Gel, 0.33 Ounce Tube
Price: $6.27
19 used & new from $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediately Numbs Whatever It Is That's Ailing Your Gums!, March 7, 2015
I can't tell you how many years I've been using Anbesol, but well over 20. I don't get cold sores in my mouth or sore gums - maybe once a year - but when I do, Anbesol numbs the area in a snap, and keeps it numb for hours. I wouldn't be surprised if the ingredient isn't the same one the dentist uses to number your gums before administering novocaine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20