Profile for Ethan Winning > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 273

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ethan Winning "Ethan Winning" RSS Feed (Walnut Creek, CA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EBL® 920D LCD Smart AA/AAA Intelligent Battery Charger/Discharger and 4 Pack AAA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries
Offered by AIBOCN
Price: $47.99
3 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars It seemed perfect for my needs, and it was, July 17, 2014
I had to replace two chargers when one started to overheat to the point of smoking, and the other just gave up the ghost. Rather than spend $50 on one with features i didn't need, I saw this and it seemed perfect for my needs. I have many things that use AA and AAA batteries. (Oddly, this came with only two AAAs and a plastic case for both sizes. But since AAAs are the least used, I won't complain.)

Anyway, the LED shows exactly how much of a charge is needed and then displays when it's fully charged. I still carry an MP3 player and an AM radio when I'm hiking, and now I'm back to carrying an extra battery (AAA). And I use AA for my mice and several other devices. I'd certainly recommend this charger.

Blood Feud: The Clintons vs. the Obamas
Blood Feud: The Clintons vs. the Obamas
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Klein Documents Nothing, But It's a Hell of a Read, July 16, 2014
One reviewer said that Ed Klein had documented the feud between the Clintons and Obamas. While I thoroughly enjoyed the book, Klein documented nothing. Unnamed sources. Sources who requested anonymity. Sources who "were there" at Hillary's party.

Well, hearsay should only go so far, and I would have liked a disclaimer of some sort about the veracity of what Mr. Klein is reporting. We're asked to assume that he's being honest and that this was not like the old game of "telephone" where "she to her and he told him and..." at the end, the truth might only be within.

We do know that this book was hurried to press to compete against Hillary's own book (not really written by Hillary, but by two writers and her researcher!). Then, you have to look at the most unflattering photos on the front cover, and KNOW that those were part of the publishing ploy.

So, when I finished this book - rather abruptly finished by Mr. Klein - I came away with the following feeling: I dislike and thoroughly distrust them all, the pols and the politicians.

ew
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 4:35 AM PDT

Smart Weigh Digital Kitchen Scale and Timer - Food Scale - Slim Stainless Steel Design - High Accuracy - LCD Backlight
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $59.95
2 used & new from $33.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright display; accurate; easy to use, but..., July 11, 2014
We've had a number of scales over the years - manual to digital - and this is one of the most striking, with an easily read blue digital display. But in a galley kitchen, looks aren't important because it will be store, not hung. What is important is accuracy followed by the ease of use.

We measured five or six items where the weight was known. Using Tare for considering the weight of the container, this was right on, down to the gram!

It's very easy to use, and the timer comes in handy (especially when I can't figure out which drawer our "normal" timer disappeared into). The digital display is bright and easy to read, but there's a catch: if you put a large item on the scale - let's say a box or a chicken or a bowl - the item often obscures the display. Because of this I'm taking off one star.

I wish that this scale had a pull-out display. That would solve the problem of the small size of the scale's plate.

The Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada Publisher: Heyday Books
The Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada Publisher: Heyday Books
by John Muir Laws
11 used & new from $16.38

5.0 out of 5 stars The best overall field guide for any wildlife west of the Rockies, July 5, 2014
I bought this guide about 4 years ago after returning from a trip to Sequoia National Park. I've been an amateur nature photographer for 50 years. Although I'm usually looking for birds, during migration and nesting, I go after bugs, bees, butterflies, beaver, buffalo (I'll move onto the "c's" next year), and these are the times when I'll stop to photograph wildflowers, butterflies, and almost anything that moves. Muir's book is illustrated from flowers to beetles and everything in between. While you might think that illustrations are more difficult for identifying than photographs, that is just not the case with this book. His illustrations are fantastically detailed, and organized in such a way that it's the only book that I've been able to use for IDs of flowers and some insects.

I know the Sierra Nevada is a western (U.S.) range and "only" 400 miles long, but if it's gotten over the Rockies, you'll probably find it in John Muir Laws' field guide. We just took it to Yellowstone, and found everything we looked for, even the Red Crossbill and even the fact that the female is yellowish!

If you are going to visit any of the 75 national parks west of the Rockies or any area in the west, I highly recommend this book.

EW

Belkin Smooth Tri-Fold Folio Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro -10.1 Inch (Black)
Belkin Smooth Tri-Fold Folio Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro -10.1 Inch (Black)
Offered by Web's Best Deals
Price: $25.00
3 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Rating, and Here's Why, July 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having seen and tried my son-in-law's MoKo case, I'm compelled to do a comparative review. The Belkin and MoKo are the same price. The similarities end there.

The Belkin will protect your tablet. The fit is excellent for the Tab Pro 10.1 (NOT the Tab 3 10.1), and all the holes for speakers and plugs are in the right place. That said, I expected the tri-fold to stand better. Instead, my tablet in landscape mode tends to fall backward no matter which fold I use. The tri-fold does nothing for portrait mode, but I will say that the case is comfortable to hold just reading an ebook.

The leather doesn't feel like leather, and seems to be of a lesser quality than the MoKo.

The most disappointing thing is that the case does not have an auto-on/auto-off "switch;" i.e., this is not a magnetic close case which turns your tablet off when you close it. While I received this for review, I must say that an auto-off should be included for the retail price.

Three stars is perhaps too low, and four is too high.

Ouddy Steel Can Opener
Ouddy Steel Can Opener
Offered by Ouddy
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't open cans; terrible balance; and less, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Ouddy Steel Can Opener (Kitchen)
When I receive a product for review, I hope more than anything that it will be one of the finest gadgets/products I've ever used. It's almost embarrassing to say that this can opener is the worst I've ever used. The cutting and gripping parts are so ill-fitting that it would only open cans with a tremendous amount of difficulty. I mean, my Swiss Army Knife is 10 times faster and more efficient. The handles are much too short and I have fairly small hands. The thing is top heavy to a fault, and it slips in your hands as well as around the lid of a can - when and if it will grasp the can.

I'm sorry, but this is the worst can opener I've had in over 50 years of marriage, starting with the 75¢ keyed opener we started with that was almost identical to the EZ-DUZ-IT sold on Amazon, up to our favorite which lasted almost 5 years until I jammed it in a drawer (and still works better than this).

Wahl 9867-300 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer
Wahl 9867-300 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer
Price: $37.40

4.0 out of 5 stars A good grooming aid whether for a beard or nose and ear hair., June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have reached that marvelous age when there's more hair growing out of my nose and ears than the top of my head. Somehow or other nature has also decreed that my sideburns and hair around my ears should grow at an absolutely astonishing rate.

Wahl has nicely addressed these "issues" (and more) with its All-in-One Trimmer although maybe not even in the way they intended.

There is a benefit to having reached my hairy-ears age: I get to take more vacations or trips to some of the great trails in the western U.S. And of course I also have that great opportunity of not having to shave, something which I've done daily with a blade for over 50 years. And though I don't have to shave, when we stop at a motel or a national park inn, I feel as though I should look better than scruffy.

There are three easily interchangeable heads with this Wahl. One gets rid of ear and nose hair more efficiently than anything - including scissors - that I've used before. Another, in conjunction with a built in (or snap in) guide, will trim sideburns and the thick hair around my head neatly and easily. The "shaver" head acts as any electric razor would, and I use this every two or three days to get rid of some facial hair and leave a slight beard.

Note that I still cannot use an electric razor because of ingrown hairs and the fact that, to get really close, they all - including this Wahl - chafe.

In all other respects, this Wahl is great. Very light weight, with a fast charge for up to five minutes of trimming, as well as a full charge for up to about 2.5 hours of grooming. The blades are sharp, and Wahl includes every imaginable aide from a mustache comb to oil for the blades.

A couple of minor issues: The stand is superfluous, and I'd much rather have this in a drawer than taking up space on a sink or counter. Second, while there are kudos for the "frustration free packaging," Wahl could have made the box nicer in case I want to give one of these as a gift. It really looks as though it's meant as a sample (which it was). And in the "so what" department, the trimmer and its components look and feel flimsy if not cheap. From previous experience, even with plastic parts and gears, this will last 5 or more years of continuous use, but there are times when I'd prefer some "heft" to these trimmers.

While I use this primarily for travel and minor weekly removal of bothersome hair, I think that anyone with a small beard, would be delighted to have and use this Wahl All-in-One Trimmer.

THERA°PEARL Contour Pack
THERA°PEARL Contour Pack
Offered by BlueProton
Price: $7.95
22 used & new from $5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars For small areas, either hot or cold, this works. However..., June 17, 2014
A couple of years ago, in order to get something cold to contour to my neck or knees, I would use a pack of frozen peas! It wasn't long before several manufacturers came out with packaged small beads that could be microwaved or frozen for the purpose. In a way, Thera Pearl deserves another star for adding the Velcro strap to their contour pack.

I used the pack on my knee after heating the pack for 35 seconds (NOTE: follow the timing recommended depending upon the wattage of your microwave: ours is only 750 watts; some are 1,500). I strapped it on, and adjusted it to cover the usual place(s) that ache after a hike. Initially, it felt a little too hot, but that only lasts seconds. I also used it on my cheek after a dentist visit (no Velcro, of course). Basically, it works.

However,I do wish it was either an inch larger or that they sold a "set" with a small oval like this, and then a long narrower (3-4") band to wrap around my neck. Further, I think it could be packed with more beads to, say 3/4 full rather than 1/2.

This is quite a bit cheaper than the one from CVS and works about as well.

[AYL® Best Garlic Press Stainless Steel] ★ SALE! BUY 1 Garlic Press AND GET 1 Black Cleaning Brush FOR FREE! ★ Make Your Own Freshly Crushed and Minced Garlic and Ginger from Unpeeled Cloves and Ginger ★ Enjoy the Amazing Health Benefits of Garlic - Great for Garlic-Mixed Cooking Spices, Herb & Garlic Marinade Recipes - Now You Can Easily Add it to Every Dish of Food! ★
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Press, But One Thing Needs Improvement, June 9, 2014
We have two other garlic presses, and when I was asked to review garlic press, I thought it seemed to be better than what we have. Well, it is ... in most respects. While we prefer to peel the cloves, we tried unpeeled first. This did a decent job of pressing and, with the included brush, did a nice job of getting the peels out.

The "basket" is large and though it holds two cloves, it's still bigger than either of the other presses we have.

Pressing was easy, although my wife has very small hands. Finally, it cleans up beautifully in the dishwasher.

The point taken off is because the grips can be slippery when wet. I would suggest a "grilled" pattern or better, silicone or rubber inserts in the grip.

[AYL® Sphere Ice Ball Maker / Mold] ★ SALE! BUY 1 Blue Silicone Ice Ball Mold with 4 x 2" Ball Capacity Tray AND GET a Set of 2 Large Blue 2.5" Single Ice Ball Molds FOR FREE! ★ Makes 6 Mixed Size Ice Balls! Perfect for Scotch, Fruit Drinks, Whiskey, Lemonade, Bourbon, Cocktails, Pitchers of Iced Tea ★ Made from Premium Food Grade Silicone Material, that is Dishwasher Safe, and BPA Free and FDA Approved ★
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It already ended up in our "utility" drawer, June 9, 2014
I was given this to review. Initially intrigued, after using the 4-ball maker and then the two larger ones, I'll give them this much: 1. They do last longer; 2. They don't leak; 3. They're relatively easy to use.

That said, we have a very convenient ice cube maker that more than meets our needs. I tired of the process with this ice ball maker after the second use. It may have a use, but it certainly isn't as convenient as my fridge's ice cube maker.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20