Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Ethan Winning > Reviews

Browse

Ethan Winning's Profile

Customer Reviews: 765
Top Reviewer Ranking: 889

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ethan Winning "Ethan Winning" RSS Feed (Walnut Creek, CA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
President Me: The America That's in My Head
President Me: The America That's in My Head
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great talking points; too many obscenities., July 3, 2016
In my 50 years of writing, I've adhered to the principle that too much cussing is just a ruse for someone without a command of the language. If that were entirely the case, then I wouldn't have enjoyed this at all. There is entirely too much unnecessary vulgarity. Take that out and this would be five stars. Carolla's views are identical to mine, but the edge is taken off by the wording. He could make 90% of his points without the unnecessary "obscenities." You could call your "favorite" politician and idiot instead of a "****ing idiot."

I realize that I'm older than the average reader of blogs - maybe the average reader for that matter - but it's hard to watch a movie, premium channel TV, or read half the books without feeling cheated.

Toro 51496 Cordless 24-Inch 24-Volt Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer
Toro 51496 Cordless 24-Inch 24-Volt Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer
Price: $99.34
6 used & new from $79.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts (literally) custs a four hour job to an houra!, May 24, 2016
I don't know what took me so long to pop for a Toro Hedge trimmer. I don't have that much to trim, but what used to take three or four hours now takes less than an hour (unless I left that &*^%$! Nandina more than a year to take over). It's not light, but it's made so much easier with the swivel handle making vertical and horizontal cuts almost as breeze. The only negative is that there's so much to clean up ... but for that I have the Toro blower...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2016 11:26 AM PDT

The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell
The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Herriot. Even better than Dr. Oakley, Youkon Vet (more visusal) . A Truley Remarkable book!, May 24, 2016
I wrote my review of his second book first, so you may want to check of the praise I lavished on "Ask the Animals" first. I can't recommend too highly! A master of story telling with a way with English makes these "one nighter's"!

The title of "The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell" is misleading. There are VERY few vets who could write such books. Only James Herriot wrote this well, and Coston may be better. Coston makes you feel as much empathy for the clients as the patients, and while some had disparaged him for bringing in his family and staff, I found them all interesting. Having had to put don four dogs over 47 years, Coston makes those decisions more bearable if that can be done. I smiles (no huge laughs) and I cried (not copiously), and I felt thoroughly entertained and satisfied and wanting more. Unfortunately, he only has two books out, but if a third were to be written, put me at the head of the line!

Ask the Animals: A Vet's-Eye View of Pets and the People They Love
Ask the Animals: A Vet's-Eye View of Pets and the People They Love
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Herriot!, May 24, 2016
Not at all what you'd expect from a vet: first of all, Conston has a mastery of the English language without being cumbersome. He's a master story-teller, and his stories are as much about his patients and about his clients (patients' owners). But these pet owners are REAL. They are not just extensions of their dogs or horses; they are as real as you and I. If you've ever had a pet, Conston even handles the very delicate subject of putting ones' dog down, and does so with such aplomb that, while the hurt remains, the rationale becomes more understandable and personal. The joys and tribulations of the owner (whomever ever owns whom) are presented beautifully, poignantly, and leaving the reader wanting more.

To say that these are just articles "cobbled" together shortchanges Dr. Coston and the reader. His books are not JUST collections of essays. The chapters are related, and one does indeed feel the anguish of the owner and the pain of the pup. The people are fascinating, as are the animals who have personalities. You will smile; you will cry; you'll also get an understanding of a met's medical practice which is perhaps even more fascinating than an M.D.'s. I used to get angry at the costs of having a pet, but not I understand them. The vet's practice is not as compartmentalized as your doctor's. The vet doesn't have a cardiologist or oncologist to refer his patients to.

Yes, you do get stories of his patients, his clients, and his staff, but each chapter is structured so that - like any good mystery - you can't wait to find out how it ends. If you have seen and enjoyed Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet, then you're in for as much a treat: the difference is the same as TV and radio. I was raised in the era of radio where you had to use your imagination. TV took that away from us. Dr. Coston beings it back, while Dr. Oakley brings it vividly to life. I can't recommend Coston's two books highly enough. Even how he met his wife an grew his practice are fascinating.

Bigelow PERFECT PEACH Herbal Tea - 20 Count (4 Pack)
Bigelow PERFECT PEACH Herbal Tea - 20 Count (4 Pack)
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $16.54
10 used & new from $11.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as robust as other Bigelow teas., May 5, 2016
My wife, the sole user of Bigelow Teas in this team of two, says that this is a very weak tea. Weak in flavor as in not as robust as Orange Spice or the Caramel Vanilla. Well, she had to try it. I don't like tea, and she doesn't like to write reviews, and here we are...

The Complete Season 9 Collection (The Voice Performance)
The Complete Season 9 Collection (The Voice Performance)
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Jordan, didn't like the CD. I missed the audience participation in these studio recordings., May 5, 2016
I loved Jordan Smith from the blind audition until he became the winner of The Voice in 2015. However, I didn't care for this CD for the simple reason that this was recorded in a studio and I really missed the audience - even with the screaming and applause. At least the audience would listen intently and scream and applaud at the appropriate times in each of his performances. I'm really disappointed. Still love his voice, but I don't like studio recordings that were done at the same time as the show.

While I'm not crazy about this CD, I've ordered his first "solo" CD. I think we'll be hearing great things from and about him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2016 12:01 AM PDT

Champion Men's Vapor Run Long-Sleeve T-Shirt
Champion Men's Vapor Run Long-Sleeve T-Shirt
Price: $16.31 - $30.00

3.0 out of 5 stars XL too big, L too snug. Wonderful breathable fabric., April 28, 2016
Because of a panel in the back, it was much too snug around the middle, and I had to return it. Of the four styles of Champion T-shirts I've purchased from Amazon, this is the only one I had to return. A better choice would be the long or short sleeve Champion Men's Vapor Cotton. Even though it's cotton, it shrank very little and still fit after washing.

I'm giving it three stars in case you don't have the problem I do. If it fit, it would have gotten five stars: it has fabulous breathable fabric I've ever seen.

Sony Compact Portable Radio with AM/FM Digital Tuning, Built-in Speaker, Headphone Jack, Sleep Timer, 15 Preset Stations & Hold Button + DB Sonic Alkaline Batteries Included
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Some features not available. Clock can't be changed from military to 12 hour time. Am is okay., April 11, 2016
I bought this for my wife because she wanted something small for her office. I know radio, and knew that there would be some interference from fluorescent lights and even other lights which put out a signal of their own. I figured she could shuffle the radio around as she does now with a larger and much better than the Sangean radio which is shielded from ambient noise. Out of San Francisco, only one station came in clear, and the two others she listens to are difficult to pick up even though they emanate from fairly strong stations in the Bay Area. FM, being line-of-sight "broadcasting" has never been good because of hills between where we live and the city's stations: however, we're picking up FM stations from local and even Sacramento stations...not that there's anything to listen to. (We have no classical, soft rock or even country stations in this entire area.) AM uses the internal ferrite which should be shielded: this one isn't and being small, is not that good at picking up AM stations.

The other thing that really bothered me was that the clock is military time (24 hour) only, and resetting time at 1:00 PM is a pain in the neck: you have to go through the whole cycle forward or backward to get to the right time. My wife doesn't like change, and she has never had a 24 hour clock before.

One review mentioned a weather channel. There is no weather channel.

The speaker is relatively tinny (i.e., high treble, and no base).

Will it do? Yes, but I really wish that Sangean made a radio this size with a speaker. I'm sold on Sangean; I'm not so sure about Sony anymore.

Hanes Men's 2 Pack Long Sleeve Nano T-Shirt - 1 Deep Royal / 1 Navy - Large
Hanes Men's 2 Pack Long Sleeve Nano T-Shirt - 1 Deep Royal / 1 Navy - Large
Offered by F I Z A A R O
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $14.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Runs small, itches, doesn't breathe, March 30, 2016
I have been a large for 20 years, but having lost 40 pounds, I'm now a medium. Taking all of that into account, I ordered a large, and it barely goes over my head. Unlike Haynes men's short-sleeve T's, these are hot, and not in a good way. On a day when it was 68°, these didn't breathe at all, and I started sweating. Worse, I don't know the fabric, but it also itched. I've got one left in the package, and I'm just going to give them away.

Geoffrey Beene 13 Pack 100% Cotton White
Geoffrey Beene 13 Pack 100% Cotton White
Offered by Bells & Whistles
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft and Just the Right Size, March 28, 2016
One might think that reviewing a handkerchief is frivolous, but it isn't. I don't know how many I've had since I was a kid, but my two criteria were softness and size, and Geoffrey Beene'100% cotton hankies were perfect ... and just in time for allergy season.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20