Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Jordan Appel > Reviews

Browse

Jordan Appel's Profile

Customer Reviews: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jordan Appel "thedudeman" RSS Feed (Powder Springs, GA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Jack and Jill
Jack and Jill
DVD ~ Adam Sandler
Price: $7.49
85 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes terrible a art form., February 21, 2012
This review is from: Jack and Jill (DVD)
Jack Sadelstein (Adam Sandler) is a successful advertising executive in Los Angeles with a beautiful wife (Katie Holmes) and kids, who dreads one event each year: the Thanksgiving visit of his identical twin sister Jill (also Adam Sandler). Jill's neediness and passive-aggressiveness is maddening to Jack, turning his normally tranquil life upside down.

I remember my first movie featuring Adam Sandler was Billy Madison. That is a classic in the world of comedy, but recently Sandler has taken a turn for the morbid, masochist side of humanity or comedy whichever some of his mess of his films are now. He seems to take pleasure in exploiting people that are weak or dimwitted and make them do stupid things. I get the whole drag thing,, He had to do one movie where he was in drag eventually, but the whole movie is just one dark, sad, and just plain unfunny movie mainly because of Sandler's absolutely no skill in writing now. I mean he used to have decent comedic chops, but now it just seems he takes a film role just for the money.

Like I said, his previous films he just has characters that are so pathetic that the other characters need to exploit them for the comedic value. I mean, I understand now why he had to play both parts himself, because maybe, just maybe any actress that picked up the script and read it found it to be damaging and just plain sad because Jill is just this scapegoat for all the lack of humor. Every line, every situation is to poke fun at her, it seems there is no letting up on her. I mean there are practically no other jokes except about her/him/her or whatever. I just found myself sitting there, going "why did I watch this when I could've watched something better or done something more productive?" It's not even a fun movie, yet there is numerous groan inducing slapstick moments that almost just made me turn the movie off. I mean anyone remember the movie Funny People? Well all those fake movies Aptow that he made up for Sandler are coming true. I mean that's just it, Sandler is not doing drama anymore, he's just doing these terrible headache inducing comedies that most people in this country or in the world expect him to do. I liked him in his dramatic roles, but yet he doesn't do them anymore because he has no credibility as a actor. He is just a one-note mess in every movie now. It's not Sandler playing a character. It's a character playing Sandler. Hey, he has all the money, a hot girl, and gets to work with some big stars so that must get him credibility because in Hollywood, Money = Power.

If you enjoy the past tense Adam, then don't watch this, but if you do enjoy this kind of movie, just go see it. I mean it's no harm to you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2012 4:48 AM PST

The Grey (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
The Grey (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Liam Neeson
62 used & new from $0.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Nesson carries a emotional gut punch of a movie., January 29, 2012
The Grey
Review

A man named John Otway works in the Alaskan Wilderness as a protector of an oil drilling team from Wolves. He pens a letter to his wife, then gets on a plane, which crashes and he ends up in the wilderness with other men fighting for his life and the lives around him.

Liam Nesson is one of the older generation's overlooked actors. He is an actor that can take on any role and nail it. He is so method and so intense in his acting ability, he can carry any film that he is in with it. He is remarkable to watch and makes me actually want to go to see the film that he potentially is in. But in this film, he could've turned in a one-note performance and just chewed scenery, but he turns in a haunting, moving performance that made me weep for his character towards the end. You get that feeling in your gut after watching the men walk through the wilderness and you just know. Also you feel for the character after getting to know him through out the movie. Not a lot of actors have that hold on the audience like he does.

Joe Carnahan is a pretty prolific director that has his hits (Smoking Aces), huge misses (A Team) and critically overlooked (Narc). I was worried that he would underwhelm yet again on this one because A Team didn't come out that great and I was disappointed, but I was glad I saw this movie because this movie takes the talent he has shown in Narc and brings it to a another level of solid film-making. The look, pace of the film are really good and made me enjoy the movie even more because with certain directors the material in this film would've or could've been mishandled, but he did it fine. In fact, this could be his masterpiece because it moved me to the point because at the point before I saw it, I had low expectations. I am glad it didn't turn out to be the ACTION FEST TO END ALL ACTION FEST movie the trailer made it out to be. Everything is just well rounded here, but it does have its flaws.

First flaw is that the side characters that worked with Nesson's character barely had time to get their story. I know there is a 2-hour time limit and there could've been more expanded from the story on those characters because in the last scene, I really didn't feel for them as much as I did Nesson's character because that is basically the main character development that we had in the movie, but the rest not so much.

Yes, I did read there was a lack of an ending, but how do you end a movie like this? It's hard to sit at your computer and go, "Ok, let's end it this way or that way." That's not how it works. Some open endings are perfect for some movies, and this movie had a good open ending to make you think on what was going to happen to the character after the film ended. Plus, I feel some other reviewers missed the theme and the message of the movie to the point where they are making blind criticisms without digesting the film, but you don't have to like everything.

Overall, it was a enjoyable movie and a great thrill ride like the reviews said it was, it had the right amounts of all the stuff that movies are made up of, but there was a lack of some parts that didn't make the movie less enjoyable, but still were there to see.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

A Charlie Brown Christmas (Remastered Deluxe Edition)
A Charlie Brown Christmas (Remastered Deluxe Edition)
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Magic SuperCenter
Price: $9.95
137 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It defines the word classic., November 20, 2011
Some films are so groundbreaking and original that you have to remark that you will not see anything like it at all again. Well, this special is exactly that. It's one of those films that has a effect on everybody from age one to 120. It defined a era where everything was simple and too the point. Also, it had the message that everybody seeked yet it wasn't murky not to see it. It is one of my favorite childhood films of all time and it's a joy to sit down and watch it every year with the family. It's the only Christmas film to make me excited for the season and yet still enjoy why we do celebrate. It's not one of those christmas films you see churned out every year that exploits the season and only has money to gain. I mean, this movie is anti commercial because it's saying that we lost our way in the hustle and bustle of getting gifts for everybody that we have lost the true meaning in WHY we get the gifts. Charlies Shultz could create the most simplistic characters that you could see yourself it. It's a film that needs to be locked into a vault and stored in for protection just so future generations that get lost in the season can simply unearth it and find out why Christmas exists.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $5.83
813 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Really makes me wish Infinity Ward didn't fold., November 9, 2011
Well, this year I kept my streak going on Call of Duty games since the first modern warfare(COD4). I have bought both black ops and MW2, and I have to say with all the problems that they had, they were actually fun to play. This game is not that good at all, especially in the mutli-player. In MW2 at least you could garner a 4-5 killstreak before dying, which I did all the time, but it's pure luck you get up to the UAV killstreak because of 1) people STILL HIDING AROUND CORNERS camping like a weak player, and 2) You are running towards the enemy then BAM you die from being killed by someone from behind. The maps are so small, yet you find yourself running around the map looking for somebody. Turns out they are usually camping in the 5 designated spots Sledgehammer games put in place. It's probably the worst multi player out of the trilogy. The streak packages are a joke, it's just all the MW2 killstreaks with some added new ones. At least black ops had some original ones, this one doesn't. I just get frustrated with this game more so than MW2 and BOPS. It's not that fun of a experience that the game has. Plus when I went to buy it, I expected it to fly off the shelf but nope, tons of copies left at the Target I bought it at. That maybe says something.

I am not a BF3 fanboy bashing the COD franchise. I love the franchise because it did bring originality to the FPS genre, but this one is just a very weird step in a weird direction.

The only reason I gave 4 stars for fun was because the Campaign, which is good, has the whole black ops feel to it, and yet it was still pretty fun to play, and the ending is just off the wall ridiculous.

The Green Hornet
The Green Hornet
DVD ~ Seth Rogen
Price: $6.87
228 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I just felt empty, January 22, 2011
This review is from: The Green Hornet (DVD)
I really like Seth Rogan, But it felt like he was doing it by the numbers in the writing of the movie. Basically he takes the plot of the television series where a rich playboy, after finding out his father was killed by a hornet sting. We then find out that he is made the owner of the paper his father ran. He then turns to a crime because of his torrid relationship with his father so that he can use the newspaper to report on it. . He then sees some people in need of help, then turns on the other criminals. Basically he does bad stuff and then blames it on other criminals. I felt that aspect of it was really strange because he is basically committing crimes but getting away with it.

I mean this series isn't nessacry Batman, Superman, or even Spider Man. It's one of those cult figures that goes under the radar and becomes something new for a audience. The show really lasted a short time, but it did bring Bruce Lee to us, but since Lee is gone, Chou took the reins and really shined as Kato. He showed off his talents by making us look at him in Awe as he did most of the stunts of the movie as they were nothing. He has a remarkable talent and I hope he is in future films that can also show what he is all about. The writing was all over the place in the movie, it felt like it had no direction and the dialogue was just plain ok. Also, the direction by Gondry was some of his best, showcasing his music video skills, and implementing them into the film. It was a fun to watch movie mainly because of the stylistic direction. But the one big problem I had with the film was based on two actors. One underused, and one that was useless. Cameron Diaz, who I dislike, was in this film but yet she had no place, no big moments, and not anything else. I feel she was just here for us to look at her sagging face while Rogen cracked a joke. SHe was just a waste of space.

The villain, Waltz, was not a villan at all. I mean what is it with writers and underwhelming villans? I mean there was one in Knight and Day, Mission Impossible 3, and numerous other movies that have been released in the past 5 years. Waltz is better than this movie, the man has a Oscar to his name yet he is doing movies like this that made me shake my head at the absurdity of it. He's a good actor, but he needs to pick better roles, and quit phoning it in.

Overall, I thought this film was a mess, but it was watchable in some parts enough. I get the feeling people were just seeing it because they got sick of seeing True Grit or numerous other movies that have been out for almost a month. The film is not that good, but I expected it to do well, and I commend the movie studio for their thinking.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Phone, January 21, 2011
First of all, let me address the media hype of the iphone 4. The hype says that the antenna was not functional, yet Jobs fixed the issue. and horrible. I have had no problems with mine. The only problem I have had has been hardware issues, but it was because I had a faulty iphone. I think also that it was biased reporting against it by probably the competitors. Second, The whole Android/Iphone battle is pointless because there are numerous reports coming out that say more people are buying iphones in retrospect than a android. I see everybody with one, and yet people are saying android is taking over the market?

On to the phone,

It's one of the mos gorgeous phones i have ever used and I have used some phones that I thought were great. This phone has a way slimmer design than the iphone 3GS and the Iphone first generation. Its sleekness makes it feel like you are holding nothing in your hands. Also, the high resolution screen makes me glad that they put it on there, beacause I am seeing stuff on my phone that I haven't seen before. It's crisp and nice to look at. The call quality is good, I have no problem with dropped calls, and I was on Verizon and T Mobile where there was a dropped call every second when I tried to called somebody. Also the use of MMS and SMS for the texting is a great plus for me because I like the ability to send photos on my phone. The data plan I have is Unlimited because I signed up for a Iphone before AT&T did away with the unlimited which was a stupid move. Plus the whole Facetime on Wifi only is a killer because other phones can do it on the data network yet this can't. I get a feeling though that apple will address this in the the Iphone 5 or maybe 6.

The phone plans are a bit expensive and will turn away the average phone user, But I have had the worst phones in the past and I rather pay the sum then possibly get a phone that lacks the quality this phone has. Yes, I do sound like a fanboy for apple, but in retrospect the phone is one of the best on the market right now. I never really had a interest in android. that phone never really got me jumping for joy.

But if you want the iphone, my advice is go to a store and try it out before you buy it. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then get another phone. But if you like it, then enjoy what a marvel of a invention Apple has put into the world.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $22.99
521 used & new from $2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Very much more epic than the first., March 29, 2010
I have to admit I was a late comer to this as I lost my system in the mail from being going back home and not bringing my stuff back with me, so I had to wait 6 months before I had the chance to play the game.

Basically, Infinity Ward stepped it up a hundred notches with this game. They took what was wrong with the first one, and fixed the problems, but I feel they sacrificed some of the great aspects that made the first game enjoyable.

First, The story mode is.. simply put incredible. If you remember in the first one, the whole thing just felt epic and amazing on a grand scale, especially the Nuke going off scene. Basically the story mode is pretty much the same from the first one, but it is probably a better story than the original, because the story actually was intense, and every mission was insane compared to the original's. Some of the missions are like putting your life on the line, for example you have to defend yourself against hordes of Russians at a bunch of burger joints. That was fun, especially now that you can use what is called the Predator missile. Basically in the first, you played as Soap, but not in this one, you are actually someone different, and again there is two separate stories going on at the same time, but both of them are amazing enough that you don't know what similarities that they hold with each other. It seems they made the story more detailed and layered than in the first one, in the first one it's basically you chasing down a terrorist and then apprehending him. But in this one, you go everywhere, and do everything. You even do possibly one of the most controversial video game scenes in recent history, where you go in a Russian airport, and basically start killing crowds of innocent Russians. It had me thinking that you have to be pretty disturbed to actually think of a video game mission like that, but I commend the makers for not granting you a achievement for that mission because it would be like you doing that just to get the points. But I just loved the story mode because there was betrayal towards the end, and the story then just gets even more insane when you just basically have to go after the main villain by yourself, and the ending is pretty amazing for the game if you ask me, but yet again it's left open ended.

A New addition to the game is the Co-Op, because in the first one it lacked the two person missions that some fans wanted. I really didn't care for the lack of it, but I have to say it's fun, because you do get achievements for completing the mission. It's basically the epilogue of the first stretched out into multiple categories. It was fun and great.

The first game had a excellent multi player, I remember being obsessed with it, and I prestieged at least 2 or 3 times. It's fun and addictive, but this second coming of it is horrendous because it basically favors the stronger players, and the campers, I mean I have possible rage quit more times than I have ever on any game than I have with this one. It's a frustrating game, but the kill streaks are pretty comprehensive, instead of stopping at 7 kills with the Helicopter, you go on to 25 kills with The Nuke, which is unbelievable. It basically kills ALL of the players, including you in the map, and ends the game even if you are winning or losing. It's fun, and I have hit level 49, but the game parsing system is out of wack, and you have to practically disable your NAT settings to get the best results.But when a host leaves, the host finder system is a godsend though, I one time had a 8 kill streak going, the host left, and I was right in front of two guys and ended up getting two more and winning the game. But Chopper Gunner is possibly the worst killstreak ever invited for multiplayer by far. I just hate people that camp and then use it. It's outstanding. The whole thing brings up the motto, "if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I say get this game for the story mode, because it's worth it, but beware of the Multiplayer on it.

Generic Premium Travel Charger/Wall Charger/Home Charger for Apple iPhone 4/3 - Non-Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by JDsShop
Price: $5.00
5 used & new from $2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., January 29, 2010
The product had me worried with the negtive reviews saying that it wasn't compatible and it wasn't working with their iphones. Well that wasn't the case with mine. Mine worked perfect and it helped me out alot because my computer was in the shop and I needed a place to charge up my iphone, and I got this product for its cheap price. The price is a steal for a product that works as great as this does. It would a crime if people didn't purchase this. One thing to say, if your original charger broke down and you didn't want to buy the Apple charger because of the high price, then come on to this website and buy this cheap, but effective clone of the charger. It would be worth the small amount of money that you spend.

Chappelle's Show - The Lost Episodes (Uncensored)
Chappelle's Show - The Lost Episodes (Uncensored)
DVD ~ Dave Chappelle
Price: $8.57
92 used & new from $0.29

2.0 out of 5 stars That's It?, October 16, 2008
Well, Dave Chappelle sure started this whole big conteversy about how the episodes were becoming more racial stereotyping. He spent all these days worrying about how he was going to look after these sketches aired. I would look embarrased if I had written these sketches because most of them were just awful. Donell Rawlings and Charlie Murphy are good, but they cannot set up a skit to save their life. I would've spent less time worrying about how racial the sketches are and just take the time that is left and write better ones, but instead he had a tissy fit and left the show. I guess Paramount and Comedy Central can just keep making money off of him now.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Wireless Bundle - PS2
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Wireless Bundle - PS2
Offered by CaveGamers
Price: $129.98
27 used & new from $22.92

4.0 out of 5 stars The game is good, the controller is akward., March 21, 2008
Guitar Hero is a excellent game. It has some great music in it, and it is fun to play. But the controller is just so awkward and bad. First of all, what is the use of the Blue and Orange buttons in the Easy? They become obstacles when you have to press buttons, and you bump them instead. I mean, it gets annoying and frustrating. Also, I have larger than normal fingers, so I am not as fast as the next person, so my fingers stumble over them. Also, the whammy bar is annoying, and seems to need to be used in the battles, but not used in the regular songs. Also, the game itself is fun, but it seems like they could've done more to it. I like the fact that you build and build and build to the next level of songs, but using the same storyline for every mode is pretty lame. I half expected a new storyline to come in effect for every mode all the way up to legend. But, the game is just fun to play. What it requires though is a severe amount of practice to master the button mashing, because it's not just press a button hit a note, It's more of a synchronizing thing. It requires your full attention. But like I said, it's a fun game, but the controller needs to be worked on, and worked on fast. I hope they improve on it in the next game.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2008 4:30 PM PDT