ARRAY(0x9f254078)

Customer Reviews: 368

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey N. Fritz "Nikon Jeff" RSS Feed (Morgantown, West Virginia)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
2.4A Apple Certified Mfi Rapid Coiled Lightning Car Charger for iPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th Gen), and iPod nano (7th Gen) (Black)
Offered by Luzy's Storage Place
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Small And Works Well., April 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used the 2.4A Apple Certified Mfi Rapid Coiled Lightning Car Charger when my primary auto iPad charger "disappeared" from the car's console where it belongs. No one seemed to know where it went (ahem!) so this was pressed in to duty as a replacement.

Honestly I did not expect it to power my iPad Air. After all, the charger looks much too tiny to put out 2.4 amps. But, sure enough, it worked and worked well. My only complaint is that the cord is rather short. On the other hand, long charger cords can be problematic. The wires tend to wrap themselves around the gearshift and tangle themselves up in the console. So perhaps the rather short cord on this charger isn't such a bad idea after all.

The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra
The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra
by Helen Rappaport
Price: $17.70

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engrossing Biography That Is Never Boring, April 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra" by Helen Rappaport is a great biography--and I don't say that lightly or even frequently. It only took me a few pages for me to become totally engrossed in the story of Czar Nicholas and his family. This book focuses primarily on the Czar's daughters.

Sadly, some biographers become caught up in tedious details that I find boring. Helen Rappaport wisely avoided this pitfall and ended up writing a totally engrossing biography.) This interesting, well written biography (sorry, I can't say that enough!) is a fun and informing read and not in the least tedious.

MOBILE FIDELITY - MFSL SHINE-OLA CD CLEANER
MOBILE FIDELITY - MFSL SHINE-OLA CD CLEANER
Offered by Music Direct
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally A "Snake Oil" Product That Really Works!, April 2, 2014
I encountered my first SACD disc issue. I purchased a used copy of Pink Floyd's SACD "Dark Side of The Moon." Sadly the disc stuttered (it actually stopped playing for a few seconds) on two cuts "Breathe" and "Money." Money was particularly problematic stuttering a total of six times during the song.

There is a product that is reported to "repair" CDs, DVDs and SACDs called "Shine-Ola" sold by Mobile Fidelity. Shine-Ola is a weird name and at $25 a bottle it's a rather pricey product. Besides, I am cautious about "snake oil" products that promise miracle cures. However, I was going to throw the disc away so I decided that there wasn't all that much to loose. I ordered the product.

To my amazement, it worked perfectly. The Pink Floyd SACD plays perfectly now without a single stutter from beginning to end. Could I have gotten the same result with distilled water, a mild detergent and a little care? Perhaps. But this is definitely a a great way to keep an errant disc out of the trash.

Chestnut Street
Chestnut Street
by Maeve Binchy
Price: $16.27

5.0 out of 5 stars One Last Book From A First Rate Author, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Chestnut Street (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Maeve Binchy will be missed now that she has passed. Her characters were always real, her stories engrossing and you hope that her novels will never end.

"Chestnut Street" is yet another example of what a terrific writer can do. The novel draws you in and you soon feel that you know the people, the places and the story personally. Get this book whether you've read her books previously or not. "Chestnut Street" is that's good!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

Diamond Multimedia 300Mbps 802.11n Wireless Repeater Range Extender with Wireless Access Point and Wireless Bridge Device (WR300NSI)
Offered by ACTIONPRO
Price: $33.94
56 used & new from $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Well Made Repeater, March 29, 2014
Sadly, the Diamond Multimedia Wireless repeater is not very well made. At times it did perform properly. However, from time-to-time it would loose connection in repeater mode with a wireless router less than 30 feet away.

The web interface was slow and confusing. On line support was limited. Eventually the repeater failed and would not boot. It wound up in the trash after just a few months, sad to say

Resolv SE8 2-Way Active Studio Reference Monitor
Resolv SE8 2-Way Active Studio Reference Monitor
Price: $199.99
3 used & new from $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sounding Speaker With A Few Surprises, March 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's get the surprises out of the way.

First, this is not a stereo speaker set. The Resolv SE8 2-Way Active Studio Reference Monitor is sold as a single speaker. If you are expecting to open the box and see two speakers inside, you will be disappointed. If you need to use them in a stereo of multichannel configuration you'll need to buy more than one.

Second, the SE8 is a large speaker--I mean really, really large. If you are expected something that can easily sit on your computer desk next to your monitor, you will be disappointed.

Third, you have to reach around the back to adjust the volume. Why? Because the volume control is mounted on the back of the speaker. Say what!

Fourth, 100 watts is a much more power than you need for near field speakers. I almost blew my eardrums out when a track started and I didn't realize that the volume was up much to high. And the speaker's volume control was far from its maximum setting.

Fifth, while this is a control to adjust the tweeter response, there is no such control for the bass. On a bass heavy song this can be disturbing (although, in fairness, only one of the many albums that I own has this issue.)

It's easy for marketing departments to toss in a buzz terms like "Studio Reference Monitor." I've produced albums and I know what a studio reference monitor sounds like. The Resolv SE8 is an amazingly good sound speaker! It has a transparent sound with a nice bottom. Acoustic guitars sound like they are in the room. Vocals are clean and not in the least gritty. Very, very nice indeed!

In the case of the Resolv SE8 2-Way Active Studio Reference Monitor the "Studio Reference" moniker really is deserved. And this is the biggest surprise of all!

**** Addendum ****

After using the Samson Resolv SE8 for a week or so, I totally fell in love with this speaker. It's a total spoiler that makes all my other "studio" speakers sound puny and artificial.

How much do I like the speaker? So much that, in addition to the speaker that I received from Amazon Vine, I ordered a second speaker from Amazon. You just can't have one!!!

Speaker To Line-Level Adapter
Speaker To Line-Level Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Vintage Amps, March 23, 2014
I recently acquired a wonderful sounding Yamaha CR-620 stereo amplifier. t's a vintage receiver from the 1970s. (They really knew how to design and build receivers back then!) It has a amazing sound and was the perfect size and power output for my home office.

There was one problem though. My speakers are not full range (they cut off around 50 Hz) and the CR-620 doesn't have an output for a subwoofer. (Not that I blame Yamaha or any other receiver manufacturer from that era for no sub output. Except for movie theater operators, no one knew what a subwoofer was back in the 1970s.) The problem--how to connect the sub to the receiver so that the bass from the receiver can come though.

The sub that I own only has a high level input (no speaker level input.) Besides I'm not a fan of daisy chaining speakers. I tried using the tape out jacks to drive the sub. It worked after a fashion, but the volume at those jacks is fixed. That meant that the sub stayed at the same level regardless of the volume control setting. Not a good thing for bass balance with the main speakers.

The Russound Speaker To Line-Level Adapter was the answer. I simply connected the B speaker output (most receivers and amplifiers of the period could drive two separate speaker pairs) to the Russound's speaker input and then connected the sub to the Russound's line level output. It worked perfectly!

The only caveat here is that the resistors in the Russound are hefty, but they are not designed to take the output of an amplifier. If you do the same thing for your vintage amp, be sure never to switch the sub speakers on before you switch on the main speakers. Some receivers have an A+B position on the speaker switch, so use that.

Enough with the technicals. If you have a need similar to mine, the Russound Speaker To Line-Level Adapter is a near perfect solution.

Rayovac Virtually Indestructible LED Flashlight, DIY2D-B 2D
Rayovac Virtually Indestructible LED Flashlight, DIY2D-B 2D
Price: $26.96
5 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Industrial-Type Flashlight, March 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Have you noticed that battery manufacturers love to sell flashlights? "The better to sell batteries with!" (To paraphrase the Big, Bad Wolf in "Little Red Riding Hood.")

Rayovac, of course, is no exception. And you will take note that the Rayovac DIY2D-B 2D includes the phrase "Virtually Indestructible LED Flashlight" in its title. (With "virtual and quasi" in small letters and "INDESTRUCTIBLE" in large letters on the packaging. Marketing all the way, folks!)

Never-the less, the Rayovac DIY2D-B 2D is quite the flashlight. Heavy, large and with an exceptionally bright beam, it's the perfect flashlight for those tough needs. It is powered by two D cells (included and Rayovacs, naturally.) The flashlight is so industrial that it has to be held in its package by, count them, three large plastic straps. It took a wire cutter to cut the flashlight free of its packaging.

If you are looking for a nice flashlight to put in your shirt pocket, this isn't it. On the other hand, if you need a powerful industrial-type flashlight that is powered by easily obtainable D batteries and should last a while even under heavy use, this should be your choice.

AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Price: $15.99
8 used & new from $14.72

4.0 out of 5 stars End of Apple Only Accessories, March 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's nice to see AmazonBasics offering Macintosh peripherals. It saves the expense involved in traveling to the Apple Store or in being forced to buy these items strictly from the Apple web site.

The AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter did its job reliably and as expected. There isn't much more you can ask of an adapter.

Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe
Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe
Price: $63.28
4 used & new from $51.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting But Perhaps Not That Worthwhile, March 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like many of us, I have many documents stored around the house containing irreplaceable family history. Therefore, the idea of using Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe to electronically store and display my family history was quite attractive.

Unfortunately, Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe turned out to be tedious and, more importantly, excruciatingly slow in storing my data. Plus there were some concerns about using the program.

The first thing Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe wanted to do was to talk me into a three-month subscription to Ancestry.com. I know that the first three months of the subscription were complementary, but this required a contract that was automatically renewed. I shy away from such open ended financial commitments. Sadly, rthere seemed to be no option to subscribe on a month-to-month basis. When I looked up the contract details on ancestry.com it became apparent that the only way out was to entirely cancel the subscription. That was a complete turn off to me.

Perhaps I could have lived with Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe without the Ancestry.com link if the program was more intuitive and much faster. Saving data caused it to trundle for many seconds each and every time. Adding and changing information wasn't alway obvious especially because different items are entered on different windows and screens.

On occasion, the program failed to save my information. For example, I entered my father in-law's grandfather and saved his entry. When I went back to this entry, it was blank. I re-entered the information and once again it was not saved. Why this person was not saved when others in the family tree were, I can't say.

To Nova Development's credit, it is nice to see a ancestry application offered on the Macintosh platform. In addition, they provided a full printed manual--not all that common with software today. Kudos!

Despite this, however, due to the bugs, the slowness of the application and the strange interface, I suspect that I won't find much use for Family Tree Maker Mac 3 Deluxe. Sadly, most of my family history will remain in paper form.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20