Profile for Jeffrey N. Fritz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 491

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey N. Fritz "Nikon Jeff" RSS Feed (Morgantown, West Virginia)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
GearWrench 9317 7-Piece SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set
GearWrench 9317 7-Piece SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set
Price: $45.20
40 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made Wrench Set--And It Rachets!, July 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own a ratcheting screwdriver and there are times when it is the only tool that will get the job done. For example, when I work on old radios the screws can become "welded" over time to the chassis. A regular screwdriver will wind up stripping the screw or worse while a gentle, but firm use of the ratcheting screwdriver usually removes the stubborn screw.

The fact is that, as valuable as my ratcheting screwdriver has become, I've never owned a rachetching wrench set. But it's use makes great sense. Much like that stubborn screw, a equally stubborn bolt can be a problem to remove and a danger to your hand when the force that you exhert causes the wrench to slip. Happily, the GearWrench 9317 7-Piece SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set provides a better way to deal with bolts.

It's well made, contains enough common sizes to be useful and, best of all, when you encounter one of those stubborn bolts, you'll be very glad to own the GearWrench 9317 7-Piece SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set.

Energy RC-10 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker, Black Ash Veneer (Pair)
Energy RC-10 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker, Black Ash Veneer (Pair)
Offered by i-Creation
Price: $349.97
6 used & new from $349.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Speaker Burn-In Seemed to Make a Difference--But Only for One Speaker, July 1, 2015
When they arrived I put the Energy RC-10Bs on my computer desk. (RC-10B? What happened to the RC-10 and 10A?) I placed them as close as possible to the Polk Audio Monitor 30s that were acting as my near field computer monitors previously so that I can do an A/B test. (I have a decent DAC that handles the conversion from digital to analog for my Yamaha stereo receiver.)

After listening to both, I felt that the 10Bs were much less in my face with a nicer, cleaner bottom than the Monitor 30s. Bass guitars (acoustic and electric) sound clearer in the 10Bs without being overly dominating. I coukd even hear the resonance of the bass guitar body and the vibration of the strings. Nice! The mid-range was more solid and much more laid back. (I like a laid back speaker that doesn't call much attention to itself.) I was beginning to think that the RC-10Bs are a clear winner--but wait. Where are the highs? Compared to the Monitor 30s there is no high end on the 10Bs.

Well, they are bi-amp speakers so maybe that little brass connector wasn't making connection with the tweeter. I placed my ear close to both tweeters and, yes, they were clearly working. But to say that the high end is modest on these speakers would be, well, modest. So I retrieved a pair of Pyramid TW-20s Titanium Bullet Tweeters with a custom designed (by me) high pass filter. I placed them on the 10Bs and repeated the A/B. Now they kicked the Monitor 30s to the curb. Nice, well balanced sound. It's all there--lows, mids and highs and the proportion of each sounded about right. True, the receiver was now looking at a four-ohm load, but it is rated for that impedance so that should not be an issue.

However, one thing bothered me enough about the RC-10Bs to consider returning them. There was a hint of Intermodulation Distortion (IM)--especially in the right speaker. It only occurred with certain instruments on certain tracks--but it was clearly there. I held off doing anything right away because I wasn't sure whether the IM issue was my Yamaha receiver expressing its displeasure at operating at four-ohms or a defect in the speaker. All I knew is that when I put on my Sennheiser HD598s (a fine pair of headphones!) the hint of IM distortion was gone.

The next day I powered my computer's audio system and, at the start of my listening session this afternoon, the IM was present and accounted for in the right speaker. I was going to reverse the speakers and see if the IM moved to the left channel. However, I got busy doing other things on the computer and just let the music play. After a few hours my work was done and then--strangest thing--I noticed that the IM was gone from the right channel. I went back to the most offending track and kept replaying it. Nothing! Absolutely nothing!

I guess I now have to take a position in favor of speaker burn-in at least in some cases. However, it is worth noting two things:

1. Whatever was wrong with the RC-10B in the right channel is now no longer an issue. Possibly the few hours of burn-in helped.
2. Whatever was wrong with the RC-10B in the right channel was not an issue for the RC-10B left speaker. Why didn't the left channel speaker need in the same type of burn-in? That's strange.

Head scratcher questions, but mysteries like this make the world of audio interesting. Unless the IM returns, the RC-10Bs are a keeper. Who knows, eventually I may not need those bullet tweeters anymore!

Best of the Doors
Best of the Doors
Price: $28.47
5 used & new from $28.47

5.0 out of 5 stars I Found Myself Saying "Wow!", June 30, 2015
This review is from: Best of the Doors (Audio CD)
Audio Fidelity has released "The Best of the Doors" in Hybrid SACD format. I own the album on both LP and stereo CD formats, but this new release is the four channel mix of the album made specifically for the old Quadradisc format.

In case "Quadradisc" is not familiar to you (it certainly wasn't familiar to me) here's some information on the format:

"The third major format for 4-channel vinyl LPs, known as CD-4 or Quadradisc, was devised by the Japanese JVC Corporation along with its United States counterpart RCA. This quadraphonic format was first marketed in the United States in May 1972." (Source Wikipedia)

As might be expected, as this is a "Best of" the recording, the quality is a bit uneven depending on when, where and by whom the particular song was recorded. However, overall the quality is quite good considering the age of the source material. Most impressive, I heard things on this recording that I've never heard on the stereo mixes--such as the bongos in "Riders on the Storm."

To sum up, it's fair to say that hearing "Riders on the Storm" and "Light My Fire" in multichannel surround is quite an experience. When the final note in "Light My Fire" sustained and resonated, I found myself saying, "Wow!"

Eton NSP101WXGR Scorpion ll Rugged Portable Multi-Purpose Digital Radio with Crank Power Back-Up and Weather Alerts
Price: $53.23

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Got It All--Great for Outdoor and Emergency Use--But With Terribly Designed Buttons, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although some may be put off by this, I like the heft of the Eton NSP101WXGR Scorpion ll. At nearly 11 oz (306 g) this is one hefty device. Although looks (and heft) can be deceiving, the device's weight does suggest some ruggedness to the construction of the Scorpion II. My main concern for durability is the telescoping antenna. I have seen them break on other Eton radios--although this antenna is shorter and that may help it stay intact longer.

Removing the device (it's more than just a radio--it has a flashlight, a clock, multiple power sources, can charge cell phones and even has a bottle opener) I was surprised to see a fully charged battery and a correctly set (for my time zone) clock.

The flashlight has a multiple click button that is different from the others on the device. (It's round where the others are square.) The first click turns the flashlight on, but only as long as you hold down the button. The second click keeps the flashlight on without the need to hold down the button. The third click turns off the flashlight. That's a nice touch.

Speaking of buttons--the buttons are the Achilles Heal of the Scorpion II. For one thing, they are recessed and hard to press. While this means that you won't accidentally press a button, it also means that pressing a button takes some effort. Also the buttons are small, black and with recessed icons. That makes them difficulty to identify especially in dim light. Even in good light, the buttons are so tiny that you are likely to hit the wrong button or press more than one at a time. Space is limited, but Eton could have done much better with their buttons.

Unlike many USB devices, the Scorpion II does not include a charger. Perhaps they think that you'll use your computer's USB port to charge it. Or, perhaps they assume that you already own an USB charger. Never-the-less, one should have been included.

Finally, don't expect high fidelity sound or stereo from a radio of this size. Even FM sounds compressed and tiny. One the positive side, the radio is reasonably sensitive. Therefore, while the sound is unimpressive, the radio (AM and FM) does have the ability to pull in weak stations. Using it in my basement, I was surprised at how many AM and FM stations that I could pull in with just the built-in antennas.

The Eton NSP101WXGR Scorpion ll radio will be at its best during camping trips, outdoor adventures and during emergency situations.

Cocozia Chocolate Coconut Water, Organic, 16.9 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Cocozia Chocolate Coconut Water, Organic, 16.9 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Offered by Epicurex
Price: $35.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate and Coconut Don't Really Mix (for My Taste.), June 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are some ingedients that, when mixed, just don't make much sense. Take, for example, COCOZIA Chocolate Coconut Water. I love chocolate drinks and I find coconut water to be a refreshing pick-me-up after my daily walks. Yet it would never occur to me to mix my chocolate soy with my coconut water.

Apparently, this thought did occur to COCOZIA because their Chocolate Coconut Water, as the label states, mixes the two. The result is strange tasting to say the least. While they managed to keep the calorie count down (60 calories per 16.9 oz per bottle) even with the added chocolate and sugar, the taste isn't something that I prefer. After taking a few sips I poured out the rest of the bottle into the sink.

Bosch 40324 SteelTech Wiper Blade - 24" (Pack of 1)
Bosch 40324 SteelTech Wiper Blade - 24" (Pack of 1)
Price: $8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Wiper Blades, June 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been the happy recpient of Bosch wiper blades previously. My mechanic took one look at them and told me, "You are going to love these wiper blades. You've never owned better wiper blades!"

Such excitement over such a mundane product! After several months of use, I can see exactly why my mechanic was so effervescent. Bosch makes exceptional wiper blades. He was right. The Bosch wiper blades are terrific in snow and rain. Better than anything that has ever been on my car previously.

Spracht BluNote 2.0 Portable 10-Watt Wireless Bluetooth Conference Call Speaker
Spracht BluNote 2.0 Portable 10-Watt Wireless Bluetooth Conference Call Speaker
Offered by ODI Inc.
Price: $39.99
17 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Power and Reasonable Quality in a Wireless Speaker, June 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife likes to hear her music just about everywhere. She wants to hear it on our deck, on our patio, on our front porch (pity our poor neighbors!) and while working in the kitchen. Imagine the number of separate speakers and amplifiers that requires! And, even though we have a whole house audio system, she doesn't like its complexity. Besides, she detests wires of any kind. She doesn't want to hook anything up in order to hear her music. And that's where the Spracht BluNote 2.0 Wireless Speaker comes in.

It's portable, wireless and works well with her iPod (actually, a converted iPhone 3GS that no longer has a purpose in life as a phone.) The ten-watts coming from the Spracht BluNote 2.0 Wireless Speaker may not sound like much power. However, with the efficient speakers built into the Spracht BluNote 2.0 Wireless Speaker, that's not an issue. Besides, I rarely run my 65-watt per channel vintage Yamaha amplifier much over a measured five-watts at any given time. So, yes, ten-watts is plenty even outdoors.

Now as for audio quality. With the speakers placed as close together in the unit as they are, you are not going to hear much by way of stereo sound. And there is no way that the Spracht BluNote 2.0 Wireless Speaker is going to compete with that fine system you have in your home theater. But for what it is designed to do, the Spracht BluNote 2.0 Wireless Speaker is more than adequate.

Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Wireless Mobile Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Wireless Mobile Mouse
Price: $79.99
5 used & new from $69.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great on My Glass Desk But Not A Lefty Mouse, June 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What was I thinking? My computer desk has a dark glass surface. True, it looks sexy, but when it comes to a laser operated optical mouse--well it's a no go. The mouse has no idea where it is because it can't read motion on the glass surface.

Now, along comes the Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Mobile Mouse and my problem is solved. It has no problem with the desk's glass surface. The MX Anywhere 2 mouse gives me several other advantages. It can work with multiple computers (something my keyboard can do as well--making this a nice team for portable use.) Plus it supports Bluetooth meaning that I don't need to use that silly dongle that accompanies most Logitech products. I don't like them. They get lost, they take up a valuable USB slot and, worst of all, I forget which dongle goes with what accessory device.

My only complaint is that it's a right handed mouse and I'm a lefty. Now if Logitech only made a left handed version or offered a version that was ambidextrous, this would be a five-star product!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2015 1:28 PM PDT

Belkin Road Rockstar with 4 USB Ports for Front and Backseat Charging, 2 Front Seat USB Ports with Shared 2.4 Amp and 1 Backseat Dual-Port Hub with 2.4 Amp / Port
Offered by AWS Wireless
Price: $26.97
14 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better USB Chargers, June 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
USB devices intended for use in vehicles are a dime a dozen these days. They charge just about everything from your iPad to your USB headphones. They are also essential to my work as an actor as I often drive for two hours or more to get to a filming location. Once there I depend on my iDevices to last for 12-14 hours. A fully charged battery makes all the difference in the world.

The Belkin Road Rockstar is one of the better USB chargers that I've used. It is convenient and can be hung behind the seats or rested on the console in the front passenger compartment. Having four USB ports are valuable for the myriad of mobile devices that we carry with us.

There are a plethora of choices in a USB charger. All-in-all I am pleased with the Belkin Road Rockstar.

Three-Person Camping Dome Tent 7 Feet X 7 Feet One Touch Set Up
Three-Person Camping Dome Tent 7 Feet X 7 Feet One Touch Set Up
Offered by Road to Best
Price: $129.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Tent Easily Breaks, June 22, 2015
As others have stated in their Amazon reviews, the front stake on the tent is fragile and easily breaks. This also occurred to us--right out of the box. This is a terrible design, so we returned the tent for a refund

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20