Profile for Caraleisa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 143

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Caraleisa RSS Feed (West Chester, PA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Pet Tag Classic No Bark Collar, Red, Small
Pet Tag Classic No Bark Collar, Red, Small
Price: $20.52
11 used & new from $15.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully on a very small dog, August 29, 2014
I hesitated buying this because of so many negative reviews, but decided to give it a shot. I have a very small miniature poodle who has the biggest yapping mouth around. I hated the thought of shocking her, or spraying some noxious odor, so with little hope I ordered this. It worked from the moment I put it on her! The buzz side works, the sound side (works but doesn't bother her at all. I've had it on her now over a week, and it's still stopping her. I have used it on both low and high and both seem to do the trick. Yesterday the batteries died and she pulled such a bark-a-thon that my neighbor came over to make sure I wasn't dead. (I had just gone to the minimart). I put in a new set and once again, she was much better. It doesn't stop all barking, because the dog has to bark to trigger it, but that's okay. A single bark or two isn't a problem. The batteries seem to go quickly but they are very cheap and the quiet is so very worth it. Note that my dog is very small. I don't know if it would work on a larger dog.
UPDATE: The batteries last about five days, but during that time, the collar still worked. The switches move too easily, though, and she learned to turn it off. I resolved that with some duct tape, but it would be better to have the switches covered or otherwise protected.

Permutation City
Permutation City
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, well plotted adventure, with profound implications., August 17, 2014
This review is from: Permutation City (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Couldn't put it down. You don't need a lot of AI knowledge to fully grasp the story, but knowing your way around a computer would help. Egan creates a world- a set of worlds, and takes them to logical conclusions, doing so with well-drawn characters. The only thing that bothered me was the persistent, consistent misspelling of bail - using bale. There was nothing to explain why he did this. In any case, it was so minimal that it didn't affect my review of five stars. The characters, intelligent and visionary, have normal human emotions such as mistrust, not surprising when you're working on creating universes. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I won't say much more than this - if you like science-fiction which is based on extrapolations from real theory, you'll love this book.

Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
by Max Tegmark
Price: $22.68
82 used & new from $17.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written explanation of a highly controversial theory of reality, July 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Max Tegmark's personal theory is grounded in very solid science. It is the interpretation of current knowledge as it makes the most sense to him. The question of "What is Reality" is one that scientists and philosophers have sought an answer from the dawn of civilization. Quantum Mechanics itself forces us to alter our understanding of 'reality'. It's become very popular for well-spoken scientists to write books detailing their own conclusions about what the facts as we know them actually mean to us. Tegmark is to be congratulated on his superb ability to explain both the facts of particle physics and QM and clearly show how he reaches his conclusion to that favorite debate question: "Is mathematics simply a tool to explain reality or is it the inherent property that is reality?" This is a fun topic to ponder and Tegmark's book will very likely affect how you think about it... you may agree, or you may strongly disagree, but you will learn a lot about the science involved.

Medicare For Dummies
Medicare For Dummies
by Patricia Barry
Price: $11.87
63 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent information and comprehensive., July 17, 2014
This review is from: Medicare For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband and I were rapidly approaching 65, and had no idea what we were going to do with Medicare. This book went over all the different options and gave us the ability to decide what would work best for us. Because of this, we both got exactly what was needed for each of us and ultimately saved a good deal of money by knowing what to expect for what we paid for supplemental insurance. By the time we turned 65 (a month apart) we could comfortably set up our medicare 'future'. After we finished with the book, we passed it on to a friend whose husband was going on medicare early due to a disability, and the book helped her sort out their options a good deal, too.

Sterling Silver White Freshwater Cultured Pearl Station Necklace and Bracelet Jewelry Set (6-8mm)
Price: $41.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty and delicate., July 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very lovely and delicate, the pearls are well matched and sized. The chain is quite thin but seems sturdy enough to be worn with a little care. I gave these to my adult daughter and she loves them. I wouldn't recommend them for a younger child or someone who tends to finger their jewelry a lot.

Fossil
Fossil
by Bill Thomson
Price: $8.99
54 used & new from $4.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Teaching science via fantasy doesn't really work for me, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Fossil (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a hard call but I guess I do NOT recommend this book, despite really wanting to love it. It's a word-free book, with lovely illustrations, but I'm not thrilled at the 'fossils come to life to teach' idea. I think that will be confusing to children who don't really have a sense of time. And what's with the dog riding the pterodactyl? The illustrations are very good, but the boy's eyes are so wide open he looks scared all the time. I will see how it goes over with my grandsons, however, I simply would not have fossils come to life- and the look of abject terror on the boys face gets annoying.

Family Tree Maker, Essentials
Family Tree Maker, Essentials
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, a bit more work to enter than I'd like, December 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the My Heritage software, but decided to see if I could get a nicer data view from Family Tree Maker. The install was very easy, and I opened the app to begin entering my data. I thought I would be able to import from the other app, but I can't find a way to do that, so I have to enter everything by hand again. I have a lot of data, so this is going to take me a good deal of time, but because of other glowing reviews, I will do it. I do think most of the interface is pretty intuitive. I will update this review once I have used it a while to report on how it holds up over time, with new entries, etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 8:24 AM PST

Not For Parents Real Wonders of the World (Lonely Planet Not for Parents)
Not For Parents Real Wonders of the World (Lonely Planet Not for Parents)
by Lonely Planet
Price: $14.82
43 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful book for the curious of all ages!, November 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a wonderful book for kids of all ages. Interesting enough for even the curious toddler to page through with an adult - obviously not giving much info at that stage- on through light adult reading. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kids who can read well will get the most from it but I wouldn't restrict it to that age. It's full of fun tidbits and nice illustrations/photo layouts and gives you a good place to start learning about the items inside, which can be followed up for more details as age or interest appropriate.

The Best American Infographics 2013
The Best American Infographics 2013
by Gareth Cook
Price: $11.30
102 used & new from $6.26

4.0 out of 5 stars For the DESIGN quality only, November 21, 2013
It is a book of exceptional infographics. It would be a whole lot better if they were large enough to read. The book is PURELY to show the superb design and if you want it only for that reason, you'll give this a full five stars. It truly is a collection of extremely well designed, very well thought out informational graphics.

However, if, like me, you actually wanted to READ all the graphics, you will be somewhat disappointed. Some simply are too small to read. Some don't even have the whole graphic there. The publisher doesn't try and sell the book as presenting the info, just the design, but ... I really wanted to read the charts fully and I assumed I would be able to do so. My mistake, I guess.

Learning Resources Primary Science Plant And Grow Set
Learning Resources Primary Science Plant And Grow Set
Offered by Discovery Channel Store
Price: $8.97
20 used & new from $8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and educational 'first planting' set., November 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice little 'first plant' set. The plastic pieces are decent- heavy enough to hold up to the tasks at hand, but the true value comes in the accompanying project cards. The cards have wonderful ideas that are ordered in a progression of understanding - starting easy (none are hard) and becoming more complex as you continue. You will need to provide the soil, seeds, and any planting materials you wish to use, but that's no problem. My two grandsons are excited about these prospects. I'd like to see a tray added to the mix to hold the equipment being used. A simple tray which does have a raised edge to keep things from sliding off would be a great addition.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15