Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Laura Ann Scaife > Reviews

Browse

Laura Ann Scaife's Profile

Customer Reviews: 78

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura Ann Scaife "Laura Ann Scaife" RSS Feed (Vancouver, B.C. Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Flying Through Hollywood by the Seat of My Pants: From the Man Who Brought You I Was a Teenage Werewolf and Muscle Beach Party
by Sam Arkoff
46 used & new from $1.66

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Showman Of All Time., June 8, 2016
I didn't have the happiest childhood, so I hid out at the movies whenever I could. Universal, okay. MGM, pretty good. Warner Brothers, getting better. But when those three magical words appeared on the screen, American International Pictures, I knew I was golden for the next hour and a half. Sam Arkoff and Jim Nicholson knew more about making great movies for teenagers than anyone else on the planet. Their films were pure gold. So I was very surprised to discover that Sam Arkoff had written a book about his career. Had to order it right away. And what a book it turned out to be! Funny, knowledgeable, informative and just as downright entertaining as anything AIP ever put on the screen. Well written, with so many anecdotes about the history of AIP, this should have been about seven hundred pages longer. If you're into the AIP film experience, please don't miss this. It's like taking a walk with a great friend. Sam, from the bottom of my heart, Thank You.

The Big E: The Story of the USS Enterprise, Illustrated Edition
The Big E: The Story of the USS Enterprise, Illustrated Edition
by Edward P. Stafford
Price: $47.18
41 used & new from $46.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A Love Affair, February 17, 2016
I received my copy of this book about four hours ago in the mail and simply cannot put it down. And I have no idea how they're going to get me to go into work tomorrow! What a beautiful book. I have read Commander Stafford's book four times in the past (I have the old
Ballantine paperback edition) and I always thought it a pity that the maps were so few and unreadable. And no photographs! Virtually every fault I found in the old paperback has been remedied, along with a new introduction, new appendices and a new index. The USNI Press has done a wonderful job putting together the ultimate history of this magnificent ship and her wonderful crew. I have been a student of military history for nearly sixty years, and over those years I fell in love with this ship, and I have always wondered why She was never preserved. If any ship ever deserved it, it was the USS Enterprise. Here's to a gallant ship and an Unbeatable crew. I doubt we will see their likes again. Thank You USNI. This is the closest we'll see to the USS Enterprise preserved. If You love history, or just the Enterprise, do Yourself a huge favor and by this book now. You won't regret it!

The Deliberate Stranger
The Deliberate Stranger
DVD ~ Mark Harmon
Price: $13.79
27 used & new from $11.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Harmon's best performance, February 11, 2016
This review is from: The Deliberate Stranger (DVD)
I've had this for years on VHS and finally decided to upgrade to DVD. It was made for TV (usually not a good sign), but this one just gets under your skin. The acting is uniformly good (with the exception of Mark Harmon, who is Brilliant) and even though most of us know how it's going to end, it is suspenseful from beginning to end. A very unusual film, and one not to be missed if You have the chance. And don't be put off by the three hour running time; this moves like lightning!

Farewell, My Lovely
Farewell, My Lovely
DVD ~ Robert Mitchum
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $13.21
21 used & new from $8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant neo-noir. Mitchum is terrific as Marlowe and the ..., October 9, 2015
This review is from: Farewell, My Lovely (DVD)
A brilliant neo-noir. Mitchum is terrific as Marlowe and the supporting cast is superb. I think the best word to describe this film is 'mood' and this is one moody film. The lighting and the music are also great. A sublime film. Don't miss it.

Battleline Collection, Part Two: 1943-1945
Battleline Collection, Part Two: 1943-1945
Offered by Mercury Media Partners
Price: $7.58
9 used & new from $4.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Voices From The Past, September 20, 2015
I've owned this complete series on VHS for years, but it's much more convenient to have it on DVD. It's an excellent series, with each half hour episode covering a single battle of the Second World War. What makes it unique is the way each episode is presented. A veteran on each side of the conflict helps narrate the show. For example the episode on Operation Tidal Wave, Ploesti, is partly narrated by a German anti-aircraft gunner and an American flyer. It's an old series, in black and white, but seems quite refreshing after all of today's CGI. Well worth your time.

Vintage Sci-Fi Movies, 6 Film Set -The 27th Day, The H-Man, Valley of the Dragons, 12 to the Moon, Battle in Outer Space, Night the World Exploded
DVD ~ Gene Berry
Price: $7.50
22 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love The Fifties!, August 27, 2015
Let's face it; these movies are never going to win academy awards. But if You love fifties sci-fi films, You must have this collection. The transfers are excellent and the sound is great. And at this price even if You only want one of the six films it's still a great deal

No Right To Win: A Continuing Dialogue with Veterans of the Battle of Midway
No Right To Win: A Continuing Dialogue with Veterans of the Battle of Midway
by Ronald Russell
Price: $23.80
35 used & new from $12.33

5.0 out of 5 stars The Victors Speak For Themselves., July 31, 2015
I have just finished Mr. Russell's book and I must say it was one of the most satisfying reads I have had in years.What I most loved about it is that rather than have some academic lord over us with ponderous facts and theories, Mr. Russell quietly takes second seat to moderate the book, and lets the Veterans tell the story. His moderation is superb, and allows the Veteran's stories to come together as one cohesive tale. And what a tale! Midway, for me, has always been the one battle of the Second World War with all the drama and nail biting suspense. Thank You Mr. Russell, for putting together this magnificent collection of stories. Marvelous! If this volume isn't on your Midway book shelf, You don't know the complete story!

Black Shoe Carrier Admiral: Frank Jack Fletcher at Coral Sea, Midway, and Guadalcanal
by John B. Lundstrom
Price: $26.57
40 used & new from $22.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Quarterback For The First Team, June 20, 2015
I have read this book twice, am about to start it again and I feel it's about time I said something about it. For years I accepted the judgements of other writers and regarded Admiral Fletcher in a rather unfavorable light. Mr. Lundstrom has put forth here a very persuasive and passionate case in Admiral Fletcher's favor. I now believe that America was very lucky to have had a man of Admiral Fletcher's quality when She really needed him. As a Black Shoe Admiral he learned very quickly to use a weapon new to him, the carrier. By the time Coral Sea and Midway had to be fought, he was more than qualified to fight them. Some writers say he was too cautious in his actions. I think he walked a perfect tightrope, following Admiral King's admonition to 'do the best with what you have', but at the same time doing all he could to conserve America's carriers. I do get a sense however, that after ten months in what must have been an extremely stressful position he was pretty much burned out. If ever a man deserved his country's thanks, that man would be Admiral Frank Jack Fletcher. Other great men would follow him, but he paved the way. And Thank You Mr. Lundstrom, for setting the record, and me, straight! An excellent book.

The Iron Horse
The Iron Horse
DVD ~ George O'Brien
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $14.35
17 used & new from $6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Always Trust A Ford!, June 15, 2015
This review is from: The Iron Horse (DVD)
Is it possible for a ninety-one year old film to provide five star entertainment? If it was made by John Ford, Absolutely! This is one of the best films I have seen in ages. The story of the building of the first transcontinental railroad is an epic one, and is wonderfully related in this film. The acting is good, the intertitles are highly amusing, and the direction is spot-on. The photography is excellent and the restoration makes this look like a new film. The film also contains a great deal of action. Unlike a lot of silent films, the acting does not seem highly melodramatic, but quite natural. Watching this film gives a good indication of where Ford's career was headed. An excellent film, not to be missed. Five stars.

Under Ten Flags [Region 2]
Under Ten Flags [Region 2]
DVD ~ Cecil Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legend Of Atlantis, April 4, 2015
This review is from: Under Ten Flags [Region 2] (DVD)
I haven't seen this film since my Mother took me to see it at the old Dominion theater in 1960, but I have remembered quite a bit of it.It was a good film in 1960, and it still is today. The true story of the KM Atlantis' 665 day cruise is remarkable no matter which side of the war one was on, and Captain Rogge seems to be universally respected because of his humane treatment of prisoners and the almost chivalrous way he conducted his war. Both these points are nicely brought out in the film. As for the DVD itself, it isn't letterboxed and the picture is a little washed out, but this is the only way the film can be owned and it IS perfectly watchable. Some reviews have complained about the language options, in particular not having an English language track. The disc plays perfectly in my Samsung multi-region player, and if you select the English soundtrack you get the soundtrack I heard back in 1960 (Charles Laughton is distinctive anywhere!). For a look at a very interesting piece of history, give this a try. It isn't perfect, but in my opinion it's perfectly acceptable. And don't forget, if you do want to order the film, it is a region 2 disc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8