Profile for Laura Ann Scaife > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 66

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura Ann Scaife "Laura Ann Scaife" RSS Feed (Vancouver, B.C. Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Godzilla (Blu-ray + DVD)
Godzilla (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Price: $22.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the worst movie I have seen in the last thirty years, October 16, 2014
This review is from: Godzilla (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
This is the worst movie I have seen in the last thirty years. I have enjoyed Toho's series over the last fifty years (I first saw Godzilla Vs. The Thing in 1964), but why they turned the character over to an unqualified idiot like Gareth Williams is beyond me. He clearly does not know the character or his audience. This film is so dark that you rarely know what's going on. I have no idea what happened with the train carrying the missiles at the bridge; I could only see darkness. And again, the entire climax of the movie is in total darkness. All of the characters are two dimensional cardboard and I didn't care if they lived or died. The story itself is trying to be so many things at the same time that it's impossible to know what it really wants to be. And Godzilla has so little screen time you don't know if he's the hero, the bad guy or just a tourist passing through. This is crap of world class magnitude. Don't waste your money.

The Big Parade
The Big Parade
DVD ~ John Gilbert
Price: $8.66
34 used & new from $6.85

5.0 out of 5 stars this is better than walking into a theater in 1925 and seeing ..., July 4, 2014
This review is from: The Big Parade (DVD)
I purchased all of the silent films released in the Thames Silent series when they were released on VHS and thought they were marvelous. But this DVD version of The Big Parade is incredible. If it's possible, this is better than walking into a theater in 1925 and seeing it on the big screen. The restoration job on this film leaves me speechless; the picture is so incredibly sharp, with none of the "jumpiness" associated with un-restored silents. This is wonderful. If you're interested in silent films, or World War I for that matter, I urge you to check this out. Six stars out of five.

Craze
Craze
DVD ~ Jack Palance
Price: $12.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Film, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Craze (DVD)
Let's face it; this is a lousy film. Those who love it, do, and the rest wonder why it was ever made. My one star review here is not for the film itself (it's a cult favorite), but for the lousy DVD presentation. This looks like a bad dupe of an old EP VHS tape. The picture is REALLY bad. But I suppose if this is the only way to get it...... We're stuck with it. Unless You love this film, avoid this copy.

The Terror [Blu-Ray + DVD Combo Pack]
The Terror [Blu-Ray + DVD Combo Pack]
DVD ~ Jack Nicholson
Price: $14.39
21 used & new from $7.34

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is The One To Buy!, March 9, 2014
I first saw The Terror when it played at the old Dominion theater here in Vancouver back in 1964. I vividly remember what a terrible print of the film I saw; even then it was scratched and faded. Over the years I've seen it on TV, on video tape, laser disc and DVD. Every format was a huge disappointment. Each kept promising better video quality, but they all lied. They must have all been using the same crappy third generation VHS dupe, and it just got worse each time. Finally about two months ago I purchased the HD Cinema Classics edition from Amazon. I put it into my DVD player, sat back and waited for another disappointment. The movie started with the beloved American International logo and then we got the opening scene with Boris Karloff walking the halls of his castle. And from that scene to the end of the film I was glued to my TV. This was the FIRST TIME that I had watched the film and discovered that he was following a blood trail! Whoever did the restoration work on this film obviously loves the film. I don't think that it has EVER looked this good! Wonderful job! The colors are bright and pop beautifully, most of the scratches appear to be gone: it's a new movie! If you love this old chestnut like I do, treat yourself to a copy of this edition. It's the only one worth watching!..

Destined for Glory: Dive Bombing, Midway, and the Evolution of Carrier Airpower
Destined for Glory: Dive Bombing, Midway, and the Evolution of Carrier Airpower
by Thomas Wildenberg
Price: $16.99
26 used & new from $7.38

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Of A Bomb Itself., February 15, 2014
Although I enjoyed this book, I have two large issues with it. First, the Douglas SBD Dauntless went on to become the greatest dive-bomber the USN ever employed, but it just seems to pop up at the end of the book with little or no mention of it's design history or evolution. A major oversight. But far and away the largest issue lies in the fact that there are so many grammatical errors in the text that it makes the book very difficult to read. This is the worst edited book I have ever come across. Did no one proof read the text before it went to the printers? The author has been very badly used by whoever passed this to the printers. An interesting book, but highly flawed.

Joe Rochefort's War: The Odyssey of the Codebreaker Who Outwitted Yamamoto at Midway
by Elliot Carlson
Price: $20.46
70 used & new from $12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Recognition At Last., January 18, 2014
I have just finished Mr. Carlson's book about Joe Rochefort and the part he played in the intelligence community at Pearl Harbor in early 1942, and I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this one in years. Mr. Carlson has a nice style that makes it easy to keep a large cast of characters in order and he has a firm grasp of his subject. I have waited a long time for a biography of Joe Rochefort, and this is the one that does him justice, warts and all. Not only is it excellent history, but it's a real page-turner as well. An exciting and excellent read. This is a small part of history that needed to be told properly and Mr. Carlson has done his subject proud. Don't miss this one.

The Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1955-1966
The Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1955-1966
Price: $111.06
52 used & new from $76.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, December 13, 2013
Nineteen albums of some of the greatest sound ever laid down! The sound is excellent and the music is to die for. Brubeck fans, this is the one for You. I simply cannot speak too highly of this set. Some have criticized it for not having a large booklet with lots of pictures and interviews. Who needs it? The music speaks for itself. Don't miss.

Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil  The Story of Fleet Logistics Afloat in the Pacific During World War II
Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil The Story of Fleet Logistics Afloat in the Pacific During World War II
by Worrall Reed Carter
10 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Supply and Demand, December 3, 2013
I have been a huge reader of military history most of my life and have played board wargames for the last forty years. Oddly enough, I was always content to leave the strategy to others while I handled the logistics. I came across this title in a bibliography many years ago and always thought this must be the last word in books on logistics. Believe me, it is! As the author puts it in his Forward, he didn't want to write a history of logistics in the Second World War Pacific Theater so much as write a good 'yarn' about the subject. And he has succeeded brilliantly. For a subject that is potentially as dry as dust, this will keep the pages turning right to the end. If this subject is of any interest to you (and there must be a few more nuts out there like me!), then this is for you. This is part (a very large part) of the Pacific campaign that is overlooked by nearly every other writer. I urge you to give it a try. It's well worth your time.

The Original Nancy Drew Movie Mystery Collection (Detective / Reporter / Troubleshooter / Hidden Staircase)
DVD ~ Bonita Granville
Offered by Surplus DVD Source
Price: $16.36
53 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Detective Series Of The Thirties!, October 25, 2013
What a pleasure to have all four of these films in one set! Bonita Granville is perfect as Nancy Drew and the films catch the spirit of the books perfectly. Frankie Thomas couldn't be better as her 'boyfriend' and the rest of the regular cast has a chemistry that makes the series come together perfectly. But the writing is the key element here. It makes Nancy out to be the 'innocent' young girl she is in the books, but it's serious enough that adults looking for a little 'lost innocence fun' will have a ball here! Great writing, great acting, and all kept to a running time that the action never flags, these films are timeless fun for anyone with a sense of innocence and a love of mystery. An absolute "Must See" collection! Highly recommended!

Nimitz
Nimitz
by E. B. Potter
Price: $23.79
52 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The Finest, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Nimitz (Paperback)
This is without a doubt one of the finest biographies I have ever read. It covers not only the career of Fleet Admiral Nimitz, but also gives the reader an interesting look at his home life as well. Instead of being just another history of the war in the Pacific with side references to the main subject, this glosses over the main campaigns and concentrates on the Admiral and how he reacted to the decisions he had made. Particularly engrossing was his agonizing wait for messages to come in from Midway. Both the Admiral and his wife come across as completely fleshed out characters instead of the usual cardboard figures found in most books of this type. And the last chapter is so sad. Five Stars. Don't miss this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7