Profile for Dr. Bojan Tunguz > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dr. Bojan Tunguz RSS Feed (Indiana, USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TP-LINK RE210 AC750 Universal Wireless Dual Band Range Extender, Gigabit Ethernet Port, Wi-Fi Repeater, Wall Plug, Plug and Play, High Speed Mode, Intelligent Signal Indicator
Price: $69.23
19 used & new from $69.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive Range Extender, May 14, 2015
Over the years the WiFi standard has become very powerful, robust, and far reaching. These days most of my home computers and other networked devices access the Internet via WiFi connection, and I have permanently put on hold all of my plans to extend the Ethernet connections throughout the house. My Netgear Nighthawk 1900AC router is powerful enough to send fast signal to all the reaches of my house, and even cover all of the back yard. However, when it comes to larger buildings or areas, an extra signal boost can really come in handy. This is where a range extender, such as this TP-LINK RE210, can come in handy.

This is one of the easiest networking devices to set up. You just plug it into a wall, and then follow the intuitive instructions that it comes with. The extender supports a dual bend feature, so if your WiFi router sends out both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals, you will be able to extend the range for both of them.

As a range extender, TP-LINK RE210 works ideally for the static devices on your network – desktops, TVs, smart refrigerators (hey, don’t judge), etc. As a repeater, though, it can help you smoothly connect to your wireless network from the more portable devices - smartphones, laptops, tablets, etc. In either case, this device will help you get the most out of the wireless networking at your work or place of business.

In terms of signal quality and data speed I have been really impressed so far. Both bends are pretty fast, but the 5 GHz one is particularly good for downloading large files or streaming HD video content. I was able to watch HD Netflix movies in my workshop without a glitch. So far the extender has been very reliable and I have not experience any dropped signal. I fully expect this to continue to be the case in the years ahead.

This extender’s price is on the high end, eclipsing several pretty good WiFi routers in their own right. If you need more versatile networking options, and don’t mind all the hardware and installation hassle that getting a second router entails, then that might be a more appealing route to take. However, if you just need something that is easy to setup and reliable right out of the box, then TP-LINK RE210 is the right product for you.

***** Product provided for review purposes. *****

Zhuy (Pack of 5) 5w Gu10 LED Bulbs, Non-dimmable, Warm White, 50w Equivalent
Zhuy (Pack of 5) 5w Gu10 LED Bulbs, Non-dimmable, Warm White, 50w Equivalent
Offered by ZHUY
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Small LED Bulbs, May 11, 2015
Over the past few years we’ve been going through a major revolution brought on by the LED light bulbs. These are extremely efficient, safe, and effective replacement for the traditional incandescent light bulbs. They are still significantly more expensive, but their price has been decreasing steadily for years.

The light bulb was easy to install. I used it in some of our recessed lighting fixtures for which I’ve used regular lamps in the past. The light bulb fits right in, without any excessive extra work. However, it has very specialized prongs so you might want to double check before buying it if it would indeed fit your fixtures. The light bulbs is quite a bit bulkier and heavier than the traditional light bulbs, but it should fit into most sockets anyways.

The light was impressively bright, perhaps even brighter than their ratings. The light bulb emits a “perfect” daylight-quality white light. This is not a very “warm” light, and it can be somewhat off-putting for some people. I find that this kind of light could come in handy for small photography projects – it’s an almost ideal light for such purposes.

This light bulb, like all other LEDs, should last you for decades. You should also be seeing a substantial savings in terms of your electricity bill over that timeframe, but I’ve not used it long enough at this point to be able to confirm any of this from my own experience.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

HD 2 Million Pixels Waterproof Borescope with 6 LED Lights Endoscope Inspection Camera Pipe Cam Tool Included with Adjustable 6 Led Lights Updated Version
Offered by popzone
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Neat Borescope, May 11, 2015
This is a pretty good borescope/endoscope. I have used it with some construction work in the walls of my house. I used it with generic webcam software on my Windows 8.1 machine and it worked. The resolution is pretty good, but be prepared for pretty average overall picture quality. I don't mind this as much, since I only need to see some very rough outlines of the objects that I am inspecting and their relative locations. The endoscope cable is really, really long and it can reach very far inside the pipes or walls. The only issue that I had with this endoscope is that the app that I used it with kept crashing. Don't know if it's the issue with the hardware or the software that I was using, just wanted to put that out. Overall, though, I am pretty pleased, especially considering the price. Recommended.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

TPRANCE® Adjustable Half Finger Gloves Tactical Outdoor Sport Reinforce Finger Joins Flexible Responsive Fitness/Hunting/Cycling XL Green Fingerless
Offered by TPRANCE
Price: $21.00
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Tactical Gloves, May 11, 2015
I've used these gloves a few times, including a couple of the times on the gun practice range. They are well made, comfortable, and provide you with a lot of protection. They have two separate adjustable straps, and this really helps make the gloves fit your hands. they compare favorably with the gym gloves that I've used in the past, especially in tactical situations. I haven't washed them yet, so I have no idea how they handle washing. My guess is no better or worse than most similar gloves that I had tried. Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2015 8:33 PM PDT

Ausdom M04 Upgrade Bluetooth 4.0 [NFC Version] Stereo Headphones Wireless + Wired Headsets with Microphone for Music Streaming and Hands-free Calling (Black-Red)
Offered by GrandElectronics
Price: $89.99
2 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Midlevel Headphones, May 5, 2015
These are very slick looking and affordable over-the-ear headphones. Overall I am pretty happy with them, but they do have their limitations. Here are some of my impressions.

The headphones fit fairly comfortably and securely on my head, and seem to be capable of giving a good fit for most head sizes. The headband spring mechanism is not as finely balanced as some other “double-headband” designs that I’ve seen, and hence they feel a bit tight. The headphones are well-padded and soft on the ears. They are comfortable enough for several hours worth of music listening, although all over-the-ear headphones that I had ever tested felt uncomfortably hot on my ears after two to three hours. I think this is one of the few advantages that in-ear headphones still have.

I found the sound quality of these headphones to be very pleasing and well balanced. The low notes were rich and filling, while the high ones were pretty crisp and clear sounding. I listened to classical, pop, and some techno music on Pandora with my iPhone, as well as to several iTunes songs that I had. All of them sounded very good. The sound quality is a noticeable, albeit not a dramatic, improvement over the Rokit Bluetooth headphones that I’ve been using. It’s still not as impressive as some other high-end headphones that I had tested, but it’s more than satisfying for my listening needs. I consider myself a casual music listener, and don’t spend an inordinate amount of time listening to music during my day. Nonetheless, I do appreciate high quality sound, and these headphones satisfy my need.

I love the fact that these are Bluetooth wireless headphones. Bluetooth is very convenient when you don’t want to be physically tethered to your audio source, especially since it has a decent amount of range. I’ve been able to use it around the house and it worked fine for me. Connecting the headphones with my iPhone was easy , and I have not had any issues with reconnecting them after the initial pairing. The headphones were also easy to charge, but this will mean that you have to be more cognizant of their battery life than with the regular “passive” headphones.

I really wish that these headphones would be foldable. They don’t come with a rigid carrying case, and a foldable design would greatly improve their portability.

The headphones use “passive” noise canceling, which essentially means that they rely on their shape and cushioning to block external sounds from reaching your ears. This works well enough for my needs, but if noise canceling is a priority for you than you might want to invest in some of the higher end active noise canceling headphones.

I have not used these headphones for phone calling or other activities that require the use of the inbuilt microphone. I am not a big fan of bluetooth phone headsets in general, and in my experience headsets that muffle the sound of your voice are even less than optimal for such purposes. Nonetheless, this is a nice feature to have.

Overall, I really like these headphones and intend to use them as one of my main headphones from now on.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Buke OBD MATE OM580 Trouble Code Reader CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBD II OBD 2 EOBD Vehicles
Offered by Buke tech
Price: $120.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Car Diagnostic Tool, May 4, 2015
This is a very well made, effective and convenient car diagnostic tool. I've used it on my Honda Civic and Honda CR-V and it provided me with a lots of useful information on these vehicles. It was particularly useful with my older Honda Civic, which has been having some issues for a while.

The reader is very straightforward to use and read. It comes with a small instruction manual, but most of the stuff was pretty self explanatory. The scanner has a very nice LED interaction interface. The interface could be a bit more streamlined IMHO, but it still performs pretty well. The scanner provides you with tons of option and diagnostic settings, which should work with most modern vehicles.

The reader seems pretty well built. It feels like a product that will last me a while.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Visoule Premium Sport Wireless Running Workout Noise Isolation Bluetooth 4.0 in Ear Headphones Earbuds With Mic
Offered by VISOULE
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sport Headphones, May 4, 2015
I’ve been using stereo Bluetooth headsets for listening to the music in the gym ever since the first such device came out and the mp3 players started including Bluetooth as an option. In my opinion there is absolutely no other way to unobtrusively listen to the music while you exercise. However, all the headsets that I’ve used so far have one major problem: they all fail due to the moisture within a very short period of time. So far I have not had any such problems with these Visoule headphones, but only time will tell if they manage to be an exception to the rule.

The sound quality of these headphones is one of their main attractions. First of all no wireless headphones of this size will ever be able to deliver the deep, clear sound that you expect from some of the higher end headphones, but these headphones sound richer and more vibrant than almost all the headphones I’ve tried before. They were on par or better than the Motorola S line of Bluetooth sports headphones, and miles better than the Jabra headphones.

These headphones seem to feature passive noise canceling technology. They are pretty good at minimizing the outside sound while in use, and even when they are turned off. Several times I was in a situation where someone tried to talk to me while I was wearing them, and I had to take them off in order to hear what the person had to say.

These headphones are probably one of the most reductionist ones that I’ve seen. They are just made out of two oversized earbuds and a connecting cord between them. This, IMHO, is the ideal form factor for the sports headphones. The earbuds are pretty large and stay firmly in my ears even during the moderately fast runs. The connecting cord loops around the ears, which gives the headphones extra stability. I’ve used them while running for several weeks and they stay firmly in the position. They score high on both the form factor and the comfort level.

I have not used these headphones much for phone calls. In general I fund Bluetooth headsets to be quite inadequate for voice phone calling. The ones with solid noise canceling (like these) are actually even worse for the purpose of phone calling – they don’t provide the kind of audio feedback from your own voice that we are used to. The mic on these headphones also seemed below average, but then again, I was not going to use them for telephony anyways, so this aspect of the headphones neither bolsters nor diminishes a case for them.

I will be monitoring these headphones for the foreseeable future. If they manage to survive a year of use in the gym, and their battery power does not significantly diminish over that period of time, then they might be the best overall sports Bluetooth headphones that I have come across.

**** Product provided free for review purposes. ****

Upgraded 3D Pen with LED Display for 3D Drawing Doodling Support ABS/PLA Filament with Power Adapter ABS Filament Material and Film-paper Super Silence Design(Yellow)
Offered by PN_store
Price: $98.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Neat 3D Pen, April 30, 2015
One of the coolest technology developments in the recent years is the sudden accessibility and proliferation of the 3D printing technology. 3D printers have come down in price a lot, but they are still just outside the reach of most small hobbyists and maker enthusiasts. Furthermore, there is a pretty significant barrier to entry in terms of the ability to use 3D printers right “out of the box” for your own small scale projects. You need to learn about modeling your objects in some sort of CAD/modeling software which can be tricky. Furthermore, 3D printers can still be tricky to operate, even the most user-friendly ones. So if you want to find out what 3D printing is all about without investing too much time and money and learning all the necessary skills, then a small and convenient 3D “printing” pen like this one can come in handy.

This 3D pen is in a way a modified glue gun. This means it uses high heat to soften and melt the plastic filament which can be applied in a way that creates an interesting two dimensional or three dimensional pattern. However, since the pen can get pretty hot you really want to be careful when using it. You could easily get burned, or even start a small fire. I recommend getting a little support stand for this pen before you start doodling.

3D doodling is not too hard, at least not after you get used to it. Getting elaborate 2D patterns is pretty straightforward, but getting into the third dimension can be very, very tricky, especially if you do it by hand. If you really want to make cool three dimensional objects I suggest that you build them up from two dimensional pieces that you “glue” together with this pen. There are many nice patterns available on the web for this, and I made a decent little replica of the Eiffel tower this way. (See some of the included pictures.)

The pen comes with four different colored filaments, about a couple of meters in length for each. That seems a lot, but I quickly ran out of material after just a couple of little projects. I didn’t see any info on what kind of material these filaments are made out of, but I guessed that it’s the ABS plastic, one of the standard 3D printing materials. I have a lot of extra of this stuff laying around, and I tried to use one of the spools with this pen, and it worked like a charm.

One of the issues that I have with this pen is that the filament deployment speed can’t be adjusted very precisely. I ended up primarily using the higher speed, but at that speed you really need to be very skillful to apply it well.

Overall, I really enjoyed playing with this pen. It’s a cool gadget that will nicely introduce you to the world of 3D printing. It’s primarily intended for hobbyists, and I would not recommend making any “serious” stuff with it. However, as an art tool it’s one of the coolest little gadgets that I have ever used. Highly recommended.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Vgate VS550 OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Tool Vehicle Diagnostic OBDII OBD/EOBD Auto Scanner Tool VS550
Offered by PN_store
Price: $68.99
2 used & new from $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Car Diagnostic Tool, April 30, 2015

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Emjoi eRase e60 Dual Opposed Heads 60-Disc 2-in-1 Electric Epilator Tweezer with Shaver/Trimmer and Sensitive Attachments - Green
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Epilator, April 30, 2015
This is a very convenient and well designed epilator. It is compact and easy to use. It is very comfortable, as long as you warm up your skin before the use. It removes hair very thoroughly and efficiently. Nothing beats waxing, but this epilator comes pretty close. It is alow pretty easy to clean and maintain. It seems durable and likely to last a while. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20