Profile for Dr. Bojan Tunguz > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dr. Bojan Tunguz RSS Feed (Indiana, USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
[Apple MFi Certified] Skiva PowerVault Lightning A2600 Ultra-Portable External Battery Pack [Lipstick-Sized] with Built-in Lightning and microUSB cables (2600mAh capacity) for iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod Touch 5, iPod nano 7, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Note 2, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, Moto X, G, HTC One(M8), LG G3, G2, Optimus, Xperia Z2, other Android, Windows Smartphones [Model No.: AP103] - 1 Year Warranty
Offered by Skiva
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Convenient, December 18, 2014
There are many external batteries out there that can help you recharge your portable devices, and which one you choose will depend on your particular needs. This Skiva 2600 mAh external battery/charger is one of the smallest I’ve seen, both in terms of physical size as well as charge capacity. The battery looks similar in shape and size to an elongated lighter. The battery is charged from via the integrated USB port. You can charge it by plugging it into a spare USB outlet on your PC (slow), or by using one of the wall USB outlets from your cell phone or a similar device. The most impressive features of this battery, however, are the integrated micro USB and lightning cables. This means that you never have to carry extra cables around - this battery is the only thing you need to take with you. If it had an integrated wall outlet it would be a perfect carry-on external battery.

I’ve been able to use this battery to fully charge a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and iPhone 5S. It took me a few hours to charge both of those devices.

Since this battery is very small it is ideally suited for an emergency backup charging. It can easily fit in your pocket along with your smartphone.

This is a very stylishly designed and remarkably well built external battery. It has a very elegant look and feel to it. It gets the job done, at least for now. I have not tested it long enough to see how durable it is in the long run, and if I discover anything noteworthy about that I’ll update my review.

Decent small external charger. Well worth the investment.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

UGREEN Active HDMI to VGA Flat Converter Cable Support 1920x1080@ 60Hz Compatible for PC, TV, Laptops, 6ft 2M
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Conversion Cable, December 18, 2014
I love the HDMI standard for audio-video connectivity. HDMI cables and connections are very well made and easy to use. They are a significant improvement over the whole host of unwieldy audio/video cables that we had to rely in the past to get our devices connected. Unfortunately, older TVs, projectors and monitors (most of which are still pretty good and usable) do not support the HDMI standard, and finding appropriate connection cables can be tricky.

This HDMI to VGA cable is pretty good and it enabled me to connect some of my more modern computers to the legacy old monitors. I was able to use it with a Raspberry Pi microcomputer and a new Windows 8.1 tablet with HDMI out. I was even able to connect an Amazon Fire TV Stick to an old TV. Unfortunately, the picture didn't scale properly and I was still unable to get the sound. That, in fact, would be my one biggest suggestion for an improvement of this cable - if possible, add an audio jack output somewhere.

The cable is very long and strong. It seems high quality and durable. I am more partial towards towards rounded cables, but a flat one works fine as well.

**** Product provided for review purpose. ****

Menotek 100 6x9 WHITE POLY MAILERS ENVELOPES BAGS 6x9
Menotek 100 6x9 WHITE POLY MAILERS ENVELOPES BAGS 6x9
Offered by StarBoxes
Price: $6.40
20 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good And Effective Envelopes, December 17, 2014
I've received many items over the years in these sorts of envelopes and have been impressed (or frustrated if you will) with how durable and hard to rip they are. I finally decided to buy some of them for the small USB cables that I sell online. At first the envelopes seemed a bit too flimsy for this purpose, but after using them for a few weeks I have come to appreciate their quality. They are very easy to use and the sticky flap seals the envelope very securely. I have put large mailing labels on them and those stick pretty well too. You could also mail more rigid items with them if you first use a lot of padding, or if they came in a small rigid box of their own.

Waterproof Bluetooth Shower Speaker Hands Free Speakerphone-Blue
Waterproof Bluetooth Shower Speaker Hands Free Speakerphone-Blue
Offered by KEEDA
Price: $9.54
38 used & new from $4.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker, December 17, 2014
I have never been one to enjoy singing in the shower, but I always appreciated being able to listen to the music on the beach. This small and effective portable Bluetooth speaker enables me to partake in both of those activities, and so I’ve discovered the pleasures of listening to the music in my bathroom. The speaker is decently built overall, with the rubberized outer shell covering most of its front and the sides. I’ve discovered that the covering has slightly started to peel off on one of the sides, but this has not affected this speaker’s look or performance. The speaker was easy to pair up with my iPhone. Once it is turned on it becomes visible in the list of Bluetooth devices. I am not sure how easy it is to pair it up with other smartphones, tablets, and computers but my guess would be that it should not be much of the problem either. The sound quality was pretty good, especially for a device of this size. If you end up mostly using it in the shower room then there will be some entirely expected audio distortions due to the small size of the surrounding space. There are also limitations to the sound quality of any device that uses Bluetooth standard for the signal transmission, but unless you are a very strict audiophile this will not be much of an issue for you. I’ve used this speaker in the shower for a few weeks and so far have not had any problem with the sound damage. If, however, something does go wrong at some point I will make sure to update this review. Overall I am very pleased with this speaker. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a small and convenient speaker to be used in the very wet spaces.

LEGO Creator 31013 Red Thunder
LEGO Creator 31013 Red Thunder
Offered by Planet Fun Toys - CHOOSE 2-DAY SHIPPING FOR GUARANTEED SHIPPING ON MON, 12/22 AND DELIVERY ON 12/24 - Standard will not arrive on time
Price: $13.32
37 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative and Fun, December 17, 2014
Legos are, IMHO, ideal toys for children of all ages. (Including those of us who continue to cling to our childish side.) They are well made, spur imagination, and can be used in almost an infinite number of ways. All these features are particularly on display with the Creator series of playsets. These are very versatile sets that from the outset are designed to be assembled into three different toys.

This Creator set features a helicopter, and airplane and a hovercraft. The first thing that strikes one when you open this box is how many tiny Lego bricks it contains. Aside from the number of bricks, I was also impressed with their variety. Lego bricks have over the years become increasingly heterogeneous and versatile. This allows for construction of much more streamlined and sophisticated models. The bricks, however, are *really* tiny, and to be on the safe side should be handled with slightly older kids.

Assembling the helicopter was a lot of fun. That model took up almost all of the included bricks. The airplane did not use quite as many bricks, and the hovercraft used the least amount of them all. I was also able to combine the bricks into several other combinations and whimsical vehicle, which, of course, is always one of the most fun things to do with any Lego set. I assembled all these models with my toddler, who is still too young to do so on his own, but the two of us really enjoyed the whole experience. It made for some really good father-son bonding time.

GoPro Body Mount Bundle by CamKix - 1 Chest Harness Mount, 1 Head Strap Mount, 1 Rotating Wrist Mount - All Accessories Are Fully Adjustable - Also Includes 1 J-Hook, 1 Thumbscrew , 1 CamKix Drawstring Storage Bag - Compatible with All GoPro Hero Models (Chest Mount)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made and Versatile GoPro Harness Bundle, December 16, 2014
This is a very good, high quality, and inexpensive mount bundle for a GoPro camera. It is quality made and on par with the official GoPro branded products, but much less expensive.

The head mount is very comfortable and easy to attach. It is fairly tight and can withstand most shaky actions.

The chest harness provides you with a very tight and secure fit. The GoProCamera fits snugly into its attachment, and it stays securely attached throughout most of the robust actions. It is unobtrusive enough for most of my GoPro shooting needs, yet it provides me with some great footage. It is best used for situations where you want the maximum freedom for both your head and your hands/arms.

The hand mount is something new to me. In terms of functionality it comes the closest to the way that I usually use my other cameras, yet with the additional security and stability. I have not used it much so far, but I can see the potential for more advanced use down the road.

Overall, this is a very good bundle that anyone who uses their GoPro camera for a lot of individual outdoorsy activity would greatly appreciate.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

GoPro Chest Mount Harness by CamKix - Adjustable Chest Strap Compatible with GoPro Hero4, Hero3+, Hero3, Hero2, and Hero Camera - Also Includes 1 J-Hook, 1 Thumbscrew , 1 CamKix Drawstring Storage Bag (Black)
Offered by ECO-FUSED
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Secure GoPro Harness, December 16, 2014

The harness provides you with a very tight and secure fit. The goProCamera fits snugly into its attachment, and it stays securely attached throughout most of the robust actions. It is unobtrusive enough for most of my GoPro shooting needs, yet it provides me with some great footage. It is best used for situations where you want the maximum freedom for both your head and your hands/arms.

Overall, this is a very good product that anyone who uses their GoPro camera for a lot of individual outdoorsy activity would greatly appreciate.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Kootek® Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones Earphone Stylish Sunglasses 3 Reflective Color Lens for iPhone 6 6 Plus 5s 5c 5 4s 4, Samsung S3 S4 S5 Note 2 Note 3, Sony Xperia Z2 Z3, LG G3, Smartphone (Black)
Offered by Kootek
Price: $38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Looking Sunglasses/Headset Combo, December 16, 2014
I have several pairs of bluetooth headsets. They are my favorite way of listening to the music on-the-go. Most of them have a pretty decent sound quality, but they are nowhere near the quality of the full-size headphones.

One of the potential issues that can arise with small bluetooth headphones is that they could be easily displaced. Furthermore, most of the ones I have are not very stable and fall out way too easily. This Kootek headset could potentially address both of those problems. The headset is part of your sunglasses, so it is always within your reach when you are outdoors and using these sunglasses.

The shades look pretty good and are well crafted. They are sports shades and ideal for active outdoors activities. They came with several different levels of transparency "lenses". Due to the incorporated headset they are a bit on the bulky side, but not uncomfortably so.

The headphones were easily paired up with my iPhone and stayed connected throughout all of my use.

I’ve come to expect that the Bluetooth headsets, especially the small ones, don’t have the best sound quality. This is mostly OK for my purposes – using the headset to listen to the music while working out. However, this Kootek headset has a surprisingly high quality of music. The sound is clear and crisp, and I actually enjoy listening to the music coming from this headset. It will, of course, not impress any die-hard audiophile, but for an inexpensive sports headset this is probably the best sound quality that you will come across.

The control buttons are pretty accessible and responsive. The headset/shades is fairly well built and sturdy. They come with a nice rugged carrying case.

This is a pretty cool looking and well functioning Bluetooth headset that would work well for anyone who enjoys active outdoorsy lifestyle. Recommended.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Grill Infrared (IR) Thermometer with Laser. -58 to 1022°f Non-contact Temperature Gun. Including a Regular Surface Thermometer
Offered by Quality Choices
Price: $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed and Accurate, December 16, 2014
Unless you are a professional cook with years of experience, figuring out the right temperature of the items you are cooking can be a bit of a challenge. I usually err on the side of caution, which keeps me and my family safe, but more often than not I end up with overdone food. Over the years I have used several general-purpose oven and contact cooking thermometers. These help quite a bit, but they still have some shortcomings.

An IR contactless thermometer like this one can give you a lot of precision and accuracy when determining the temperature of your food or food preparation surface. The accuracy of the thermometer is to within 1.5%, while its measurement range is between -58 F and 1022 F. This is more than ample for most cooking/food preparation tasks, and then some. The thermometer features a small laser light which can give you the exact direction in which the thermometer is pointing. (However, for a completely precise positional measurement you would need a two-laser thermometer - they can focus to a particular spot.)

I have used the thermometer for a little bit of grilling and quite a bit of baking and frying. It has really come in handy for all those functions. It has proven to be very accurate and it gave me an unprecedented new level of insight into the whole cooking process.

The thermometer is well made and it feels durable. I like the way it sits in my hand. The display and all of the controls are easily accessible.

In addition to cooking, I do a fair amount of 3D printing. I have used this thermometer to help me with that too, especially with troubleshooting the weak points in the 3D printing process.

This is a very well made, accurate and fairly affordable products that I would strongly recommend to all serious cooks.

**** Product provided for review purposes. ****

Senbowe™Black Portable Mini Lightweight Sports Bluetooth Outdoors Speaker with Support Memory Card Play and Radio Function for iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4, Galaxy Note 3,Samsung Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2,HTC One, Motorola Moto X,Motorola Droid, Nokia N9 Lu,mia 920 900,iPad Air, iPads, iPods,Most Android Smart Phones and other Bluetooth-enabled tablets
Offered by SenboweDirect
Price: $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Activity Speaker, December 16, 2014
This is a pretty neatly designed outdoors speaker. It can easily be attached to the front handle of your bike, or even your upper arm. The fit is pretty good, but not the most secure fit that I had come across - especially with the upper arm.

The speaker paired up quickly and easily with my iPhone. It stayed paired up throughout the use while I was outdoors. I have had issues with some other Bluetooth devices that would disconnect while I was in the areas with substantial amount of background EM waves, but this little devil showed no sign of such disconnecting.

The sound quality of this speaker is OK. It's not the kind of speaker that would wow an audiophile, but for basic music listening while outside it gets the job done.

The advantage of having an external speaker while doing outdoor activities over wearing the headphones is that a speaker allows for most of the background noise to still reach you, which is a great safety consideration. I have never used headphones while biking for precisely this reason, and thanks to this small speaker I feel I can finally indulge in listening to some music while biking. The downside to the speaker is that people around you can also hear your music, which could potentially be annoying. Fortunately, the speaker is small enough and not too loud, so the annoyances would generally be minor.

The speaker seems fairly well built. It is waterproof, but I have only tested this feature in some very slight drizzle.

Overall, I am pretty happy with this speaker and would recommend it to people who want to add some music to their biking activities.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20