Profile for tmeyer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

tmeyer RSS Feed

DrunkQuest
DrunkQuest

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow start, but a great game, March 6, 2013
This review is from: DrunkQuest (Toy)
Trying to the explain the rules to a first-timer can be a bit overwhelming/confusing, with the common response being, "how am I expected to remember these rules while drunk?!" but after the first round, it clicks and you wonder why it ever seemed confusing. Definitely a game meant to be played with friends, as it's more about just having fun drinking together than winning or losing.

Speedlite YN560 Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus Cameras
Speedlite YN560 Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus Cameras
Offered by EACHSHOT
Price: $62.99
9 used & new from $50.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked great while it lasted, April 5, 2012
Bought this flash to replace a cheaper flash that had poor build quality busted open during travel and stopped working. The included flip-out card for bounce/diffusing is especially nice as a compact solution when you're traveling light and still want a nice diffuse flash. This flash worked great for taking I was taking multiple portraits, but know that if you take a lot in quick succession (~250 flashes in 2 hrs), it'll burn thru batteries (they literally heat up till very hot to the touch, eventually triggering the heating lock-out)

The flash lasted for about 3 months and one day it wouldn't turn on. I assumed the batteries were dead but after testing it with multiple batteries I realized the flash was dead. Seeing as it lasted as long as the cheaper flash, I think I'm just going to go back to that one and just treat it more carefully.

Acer X1161P 3D-DLP Projector
Acer X1161P 3D-DLP Projector
4 used & new from $310.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a bright projector, September 13, 2011
I was looking for a bright and versatile work-house projector and this is definitely it. Even with all the lights on in our room, and projected ~5 feet tall the projection is still easy to look at. Also awesome are the blacks, which are essentially indistinguishable from the surrounding ambient. (when showing a movie in letterbox, I don't see the top & bottom bars unless I really look for them) Once you turn the lights down a bit, then it really pops. As an experiment, I projected it out our window, and you could still see the movie (somewhat dimly) projected on the houses across the street.

I was worried about missing the extra resolution of more expensive models, but I haven't at all; movies look incredibly crisp and we run computer resolutions from 1024x768 all the way to 1600x1200 and everything is still readable when resized to 800x600 by the projector. (I almost never run computers at the native 800x600 anymore because the scaling is so good and it's like getting free anti-aliasing)

I wish the projector was instant off, but the 2-minute cool-down time goes really quick and is a lot faster than other projectors I've seen.

I see some rainbow effect, but it's only when I move my head side to side quickly; I wish it was a bit less but it's not a big distraction, and I haven't had any headaches from it.

In summary, know what you want. If you want a high resolution or refresh rate, you'll need something else; however, if you're looking for brightness and versatility, this is definitely a great choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2011 12:12 PM PDT

Pentax K-x 12.4MP Digital SLR with 2.7 inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Red)
6 used & new from $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value: Worth it!, July 5, 2010
Bought this camera as my 1st DSLR and couldn't be happier with it. I talked to a few people who said I wouldn't get the same photo quality as a Nikon or Canon, but DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. This camera takes awesome photos right out of the box on auto, and still gives you plenty of control to take your photos to the next level by tweaking all the settings. For this price, you simply can't get a DSLR with a fuller set of features.

Overall Build Quality
Solid, feels great in your hands with just the right amount of heft. The zoom and focus rings on the kit lens have a solid tack to them that reminds me of Nikon kit lenses for the same level. I'm so glad I got the red body; it looks so slick and people definitely notice when you're not using some generic black DSLR

Low Light Performance
This is one of the places the K-x really shines. I was able to take a photo of my room at dusk with only light from one window(no flash) and it came out brighter and clearer than my own eyes saw the room, without any motion blur and very reasonable noise.

Video
Another great selling feature. The 720 resolution video looks incredibly crisp(shot a rainy day and could see individual raindrops falling) and it still usable, however noisy when in low light conditions. The image stabilization system also helps take a lot of the shake out of movies, which really make those hand-held shots look a lot nicer. Only complaint is when turning the focus ring, you can hear it get picked up on the microphone.

Digital Filters
It's lots of fun to play with the digital filters on the camera. While you could definitely have more detailed control with photoshop, it's nice to be able to edit your photos while on the go instead of in front of a computer screen.