Profile for Jennifer Cassone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer Cassone RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Gum-Chewing Rattler
The Gum-Chewing Rattler
by Joe Hayes
Price: $7.95
40 used & new from $0.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Hysterical, July 10, 2008
My son, who just turned three, is obsessed with two things right now - bubblegum and rattlesnakes. So when I found this book at the library I thought "Oh, perfect!". We took it home (the ride home was endless as he kept asking me to read the book while I was driving), and sat down immediately to read it.
Rarely do children's books make me laugh outloud...usually I smile along, and of course get super animated and excitable for my children's sake. In other words they'd never know I'm laughing along because I know the book is supposed to be funny, instead of it really tickling my funny bone. Not the case with The Gum Chewing Rattler. This book is SO funny. It had me laughing outloud, and the art in the book is really remarkable. Definitely a winner...you can't go wrong. My son still asks me to read it every day.

Feeding Baby: Simple, Healthy Recipes for Babies and Their Families
Feeding Baby: Simple, Healthy Recipes for Babies and Their Families
by Joachim Splichal
87 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Make Foodies Out of Your Children, January 9, 2008
Our children both adore the recipes in this cookbook. The recipes are really easy to make, and it introduces food items that aren't common on a children's menu (or should I say "a junk food menu" since that's all that ever appears on one).

My daughter loves the creamed spinach recipe, as well as the celery root puree, and our son loves the braised pork with apricots more than any other recipe in the book. He's at a very picky age too, so keeping his palette on the advanced side is one of the best ways to avoid him sliding into the land of toddler food.

I am still laughing over a reviewer's complaint that the authors claim their book highlights and utilizes "honest, simple food", when his/her version of "honest, simple food" is Gerber, mac and cheese, mushed up peas, etc. Not only are those foods not honest (ever stop to think about what goes into jarred Gerber food? Boxed mac and cheese?), they're not simple. Mac and cheese from a box and jarred Gerber food are so loaded with preservatives and chemicals to give them shelf life...nothing simple about their ingredient list at all. Even more amusing, this is after he/she admitted to the family pediatrician that the pantry at home was bare bones and he/she wasn't into cooking...hence why the pediatrician suggested this book.
I firmly believe that it's ridiculous to prepare separate meals for everyone...toddler food for the little ones, a "real meal" for mom and dad. How can anyone expect their children to like decent food if they don't expose them to it? If anyone is looking for a cookbook for your children that has recipes that are enjoyable for everyone, this is the book for you. The recipes are fantastic, and they really are easy.

Constant Gardener
Constant Gardener
Offered by lola's dream
Price: $16.99
40 used & new from $0.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, March 26, 2006
This review is from: Constant Gardener (Audio CD)
Some soundtracks I hear in films sound worthy of the purchase once I leave the theater, yet when I get the cd home I think to myself "Come on! What a waste". Not so with this one...the music is just as moving in my car or on my Ipod as it was in the theater.

The Constant Gardener was a truly amazing film, and Alberto Iglesias certainly had a challenge in matching such a diverse and gorgeous work with music that could be equally powerful. Iglesias rose to that challenge and delivers a true work of art. An added bonus in this soundtrack are two songs by Ayub Ogada. If anyone is looking for some music that's different and beautiful, he is the answer.

The only weird thing on this soundtrack is that the songs don't appear in the order they did during the film. It works out however, since they flow perfectly on the cd together.

African Odyssey
African Odyssey
20 used & new from $2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent African Experience, January 26, 2004
This review is from: African Odyssey (Audio CD)
After traveling around Africa for a summer years ago, I was eager to bring the musical sounds of the trip into my home. Each of these songs is so luscious, full of energy and beauty. Even someone who has never traveled to these vibrant lands can appreciate the diversity of each track, all of which are guaranteed to get you dancing and leave a smile on your face. I've not been back to Africa for five years, but I find myself reaching for this cd all the time, even for teaching yoga.

Parachute
Parachute
29 used & new from $0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Guster's Best, May 23, 2003
This review is from: Parachute (Audio CD)
I've been a Guster fan since they were called Gus and students at Tufts University. Their sound is very unique, and when I've seen them live they are so charismatic and have a great time during the show. This is my favorite Guster album - the others are good too, but this one is awesome.

Thanks to Gravity
Thanks to Gravity
22 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, May 23, 2003
This review is from: Thanks to Gravity (Audio CD)
I first found out about Thanks to Gravity when they opened for Guster (back when Guster was Gus) in Boston in the late 90's, and they are really good. Slingshot is also an excellent album. What makes Thanks to Gravity so different from other bands is their lyrics have depth and are like poetry - they're not cheesy pretty boys with zero talent. Check them out - they'll never disappoint.

Premium Gold
Premium Gold
14 used & new from $6.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, January 16, 2003
This review is from: Premium Gold (Audio CD)
I first heard of Johnny Clegg and Savuka years ago when my friend saw them open for the Grateful Dead. I bought the c.d. at his suggestion, and this is one of my favorites. We took it along with us when we backpacked through South Africa three years ago, and were not the only ones listening to it.
It symbolizes all that makes up South Africa's tumultuous beauty - gorgeous rhythms, volatile politics, beautiful people, kaleidoscopic scenery and amazing beaches. For anyone who wants to get in touch with South Africa's energy, this is highly recommended.

In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz: Living on the Brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo
by Michela Wrong
96 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Well Researched but Poorly Written, December 13, 2002
Ms. Wrong clearly has first-hand knowledge of the history of Mobutu's destruction of Zaire, and the tragic events that resulted in the nation's demise. However, her editor must have been asleep when reviewing this book; there can't be any other explanation for publishing a work loaded with irritating typos and lacking flow . The book starts off with her arrival in Zaire, and suddenly it fast-forwards to the end of Mobutu's reign, then her looting of Mobutu's home with her colleagues. It then backtracks to his childhood, and so on. It is easily one of the most frustrating books I have ever read, and aside from the wealth of research Ms. Wrong undertook for this book, I found no cause to recommend it to anyone.

California Home Cooking
California Home Cooking
by Michele Anna Jordan
33 used & new from $1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cookbook - a Tool for Everyday Cooking, August 19, 2002
I fell in love with this cookbook in 1997, when I met Michele Anna Jordan at Johnson & Wales University, where I was attending culinary school. She was there for a book signing, and was the most open, kind and bright chef I had met in a very long time. California Home Cooking not only has inventive recipes, but bits of history tucked in the margins about California's wonderful culinary background. Jordan is quite skilled at utilizing the freshest ingredients while holding true to the state's wealth of cultural influences. This can be used in everyday cooking, or for a dinner party - my husband and I find ourselves returning to it again and again.

Sundari: A Jivamukti Yoga Class
Sundari: A Jivamukti Yoga Class
Price: $13.79
45 used & new from $0.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous for Teaching Yoga, June 25, 2002
The others who reviewed this album before me are right - every time I teach a yoga class and play this cd, one or two students always ask me what I was playing. It's very inspirational, and has excellent rhythm that changes perfectly with the asanas in class. The nice thing about Sundari is that the entire cd is great, so I don't have to skip over tracks, even during Shivasana.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2010 4:42 PM PDT