Profile for J. Rivard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Rivard RSS Feed (Kansas City, Missouri USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Time of Death: Induction (Volume 1)
Time of Death: Induction (Volume 1)
by Shana Festa
2 used & new from $51.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Great take on the zombie genre, October 8, 2014
It seems after reading about a bazillion zombie books, Shana "The Bookie Monster" Festa decided to try her own hand at the genre and with her first book, “Time of Death: Induction”, she pretty much knocks it right out of the park. This girl knows her zombies!

The books takes place in Florida (that’ll be important later on) and focuses on feisty nursing student Emma Rossi. Emma is happily married to alpha male Jake, a former Army corporal, and dotes on her tiny dog Daphne. Everything is going great…….until one night at the hospital where Emma’s patient, an elderly woman, complains of being bitten by a man while she was waiting in the McDonald’s drive-through. In my opinion, that’s another good reason to stay away from McDonald’s, but hey, I know some of you love the Golden Arches, so no judgment here. Emma’s patient quickly codes, and the ER turns into chaos. Although Emma is given the OK to perform CPR, her best efforts go unrewarded and the patient is pronounced dead. Emma is shaken as it’s the first death she has witnessed. Sadly, it won’t be the last. DUM DUM DUM cue ominous music.

Once home and cleaned up, Emma is shocked to get a text from a co-worker telling her to turn on the news, which is broadcasting an implausible story of a woman mistakenly declared dead at the hospital who seems to have regained consciousness and has been killed by police (re-killed?) after attacking numerous other patients. I think we all see where this is going, right? And in fact the zombie apocalypse quickly swings into full force and effect – at the same time a major storm is approaching. Shades of Season 8 of Dexter here and the Florida setting is no accident. It works well to heighten the anxiety – for both Emma and the reader!

Emma’s street is quickly overrun by zombies and while she and Jake (and Daphne) are able to escape, Emma sees some things even more disgusting than her hospital “Code Brown” experiences (use your imagination). Great job with the gore here in these early scenes – very cinematic. Eventually, Emma and Jake find their way to an area Target store where they convene with some other survivors and stay for some weeks, reunited with Jake’s sister Meg. Target is situated right on the water, which is great from a strategic standpoint, and several weeks are spent there with groups heading out to look for other survivors and such. But it wouldn’t be much of a zombie book if the zombies stayed away for long, right? And so our little band of survivors is soon on the run again, with Emma extra distraught as Jake has not returned from a reconnaissance mission. Emma is not willing to give up on Jake, though the rest of her group (including Meg) assumes he’s a zombie snack by now.

The group is lucky enough to find a boat to hide out on, which gives them some small measure of safety. Emma gets tougher as the book progresses, training on firearms and doing her best to care for the other members of her group with her limited nursing training. Aside from Emma and Meg, survivors include widower Adam, and pregnant Noelle, plus her husband Finn. Noelle’s condition means a supply run is necessary, which accounts for several tension-filled pages.

I don’t want to give too much away here – suffice it to say that Festa surprised me in lots of ways, which is always welcome. Characters I assumed would make it sometimes didn’t – unpredictability I love as a reader. And each action sequence was well-rendered. It was a fast read and perfect for a road trip. If I had one complaint, it would be that the zombie trope is so well-worn by now that we all know the beats – infection, attack, temporary survival, attack, lather, rinse, repeat. But that is in no way Festa’s fault and she has certainly made this story her own. I am definitely looking forward to reading more of Shana’s stuff!

Four sarcastic kick-ass nurses out of five for this one!

Living Orchard Naturals Resveratrol with Acai and Quercitin 60 Vcaps
Living Orchard Naturals Resveratrol with Acai and Quercitin 60 Vcaps

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, March 1, 2012
I take several of the Living Orchard products and I like them all - they are reasonably priced and shipped fast. Plus I am such a sucker for stuff like "green" packaging and companies who donate portions of their proceeds to worthy causes. If you're already taking supplements or you want to start, this is a good way to go.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Lights have all failed, February 16, 2012
I installed the lights per the instructions and all was well. After a few days some started to flicker and go out. Eventually they became so bad I removed the strips I put up and placed new from the excess. Same thing, flickering and bad within a few days. Don't waste your time on these, look for a higher quality product. This is not the first time I have installed led rope lights (different manufacturer), but it is the first time I have had this happen.

ThinkFun Zingo
ThinkFun Zingo
Price: $12.99
68 used & new from $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Visual Bingo - Great for Kids, March 2, 2010
This review is from: ThinkFun Zingo (Toy)
We received this as a Christmas gift and have played it a lot - it's easy and quick and we like to take turns being the "dealer" - our four-year-old loves to hand out the cards and check to see who's winning. If you like this, you will also like Smatch from the same company, and vice-versa!

ThinkFun S'Match
ThinkFun S'Match
Offered by KBLS
Price: $27.95
37 used & new from $3.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family game, March 2, 2010
This review is from: ThinkFun S'Match (Toy)
My husband and I have been playing this nearly every night with our four-year-old and it's great - doesn't take forever to play, sometimes he wins, sometimes we do - the cards are durable and the spinner is fun. If you like this, you'll probably also enjoy Zingo and vice-versa.

Snacktime!
Snacktime!
40 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids and adults alike, May 15, 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
My two year old and I both love this CD - he asks for certain songs again and again and we haven't gotten tired of it yet. If my other favorite bands (Fountains of Wayne, Cake, etc) would follow BNL's lead and come out with kids CDS, all would be right with the world. BNL has always had pretty kid-friendly music and with this CD, I am hoping to create a lifelong BNL fan in my son since my husband and I both like the band anyway. Buy it, you won't regret it!

The Dim Sum of All Things
The Dim Sum of All Things
by Kim Wong Keltner
Price: $11.48
130 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't usually write reviews....., September 9, 2004
.......but this book was so insipid that I had to warn other readers. I read the whole thing and I'd really like those 3 hours of my life back. It aspires to be "chick-lit" on the level of the Sophie Kinsella books, or "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin, but it has more in common with the dreaded "Red Dress Ink" books which I think should be avoided at all costs. The narrator is unlikable and inconsistent and the plot meanders to a maddening degree. I think she has some talent that could be developed further but this book is not a promising debut.

As Long As She Needs Me
As Long As She Needs Me
by Nicholas Weinstock
49 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, August 2, 2001
I enjoyed this book, it was a quick read. However, I was bothered that early on in the book, at his friend's wedding, the author makes reference to a "Cindy Lauper" song.
As any child of the 80's would know, her name is spelled "Cyndi Lauper" and that small editorial error just kept bugging me and bugging me as I read through the book, especially since it was all about Oscar the amazing editor/assistant. Do you think he can spell "irony"?

Catchall
Catchall
Price: $8.59
57 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sunroof open music, March 30, 2001
This review is from: Catchall (Audio CD)
I agree with the other reviewers that this CD sounds a lot like the Beatles, I also heard some ELO influences in the music. I love this CD alrady and can't wait to catch them in concert next month!

The GoodLife
The GoodLife
by Keith Scribner
74 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A one-sitting read, October 31, 2000
This review is from: The GoodLife (Hardcover)
I also enjoyed this book on one long rainy Sunday and thought that the character of Theo was especially well-developed - you could almost see him pouting at times! I will say that, like other readers here, I found the improbable names a distraction - I kept wondering what kind of names were "Stona" and "Nunny" and why would they have a daughter named "Jane"? Other than that, this was a fast read and very interesting. I am looking forward to his next book.

Page: 1 | 2