Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Chris Sterling > Reviews

Browse

Chris Sterling's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Sterling "thirdcalling" RSS Feed (Portland, OR)

Borderlands - PC
Borderlands - PC
100 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Negative Reviews, October 27, 2009
This review is from: Borderlands - PC (Video Game)
This is my game of the year on PC. And you guys are bashing it for not being "PC" enough, or not changing the graphics settings before you played? This review is to even out the qualms.

For those who are reading every review before deciding if you want to buy, I'll start off with the only, and I mean *only* qualm I have: this game can get repetitive, since it's "kill a lot of people, move to the next objective, rinse, repeat." That's it -- the only REAL problem I have with the game.

Let's look at the positives.

This game is one helluva FPS. It's as much of a breath of fresh air as Modern Warfare 1 was when it first came out -- it's got addictive, to the point of losing sleep gameplay.

This game was built for multiplayer. If you have three friends, this game... is unspeakably fun. Me and my three mates played through this for five hours straight, without caring that work was in a few hours. It's incredibly fun.

There's gazillions of weapons. They're mostly good, and they are incredibly varied. There's a lot of awesome knowing that you can switch from a shock rifle to a fire revolver.

The MMO elements *work*. It's fun trying to level up (by doing the challenges) and when you do, it feels incredibly gratifying. And there's unlimited characters for when you've maxed out your current one.

And the story's pretty flimsy... but if it wasn't, then the emphasis would be taken off the FPS elements.

I wholeheartedly believe that this is game-of-the-year in terms of first person shooters. Everyone of my friends who played launch night agrees. Don't be swayed by the negatives.

Worth the $45.

Neverender: Children of the Fence Edition (Limited Edition 4 CD/5 DVD)
Neverender: Children of the Fence Edition (Limited Edition 4 CD/5 DVD)
9 used & new from $102.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Overpriced Yet Excellent Boxset, April 5, 2009
Neverender is the type of boxset I like to see: daring, yet completest for the fans. In that aim, it succeeds beyond what most box sets aim to do.

The Neverender concept is simple: after recording the "Amory War" section of their planned five-album saga, they decided to do a live concert presented in the way that their fans started to love the band: in the exact order of the CD track listing. In my mind, that Coheed does every song of every album is a tribute to their vision... but is mostly a tribute to the music itself.

The concerts have the band in tight and fine form; it shows the band in a single venue without overdubs or studio-mastering (beyond mixing levels for consumer release). While Coheed recorded all four Neverender gigs, this box set has only the first night of the concerts; because of that, you get the band at its freshest. They're raw, powerful, and exciting.

As you know, the concerts are in two different packages: this box set, or a DVD box which costs around $75 cheaper (with Amazon's discount, else it'd be much more expensive). There are only 15,000 copies of the set, and it's expensive. So, is it worth the sticker shock?

The reason why you'd pick this set is because the concerts are presented in CD form and also comes with an extra documentary. I bought it since I wanted this in CD since some nights did run longer than 80 minutes (and some content needed to be cut down for CD form). The documentary is really good; it has the band, friends, family, and label talking about the band's chronology, from high school to stardom. Also in the set is a metal dragonfly (the band's symbol) and a photobook.

The reason why you wouldn't pick up the set is that it's incredibly expensive. There's ten hours of media here (assuming you watch the concert on DVD and listen to it on CD), so unless you expect to go through all the material ten times, you won't break $1/hour for the amount of enjoyment you get.

For me this boxset is worth it. I'm a semi-casual fan of the band; Second Stage Turbine Blade is the only Coheed album that I've ever listened to seriously before. I was surprised to find that I've already sunk around 25 hours into this set so far; it's truly a fantastic live set.

I view Neverender: Children of the Fence edition as a gift to the fans. By buying this it sends a message to the band and the label that you appreciate the thoughtfulness of the event, the content, its presentation, and its vision.

Wii Fit Game with Balance Board
Wii Fit Game with Balance Board
Offered by Gimme This 1
Price: $109.99
236 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review From A Fat Guy: Get This Game!, May 21, 2008
I preordered this from Gamestop after Amazon sold out their preorders. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm fat, and ashamed of it; "clinically obese" would be the term I'd use. My doctor has begged me to get a trainer, but they're expensive; and I hate gyms since they're boring, and out of my way. But I'm a gamer -- I love to sit and play CoD. Exercise is almost non-existent in my life.

Setting up the Fit Board is easy. You slap a few batteries in and sync. The graphics are cute. The music is cute, too. (you can just mute the TV an put on some better music, if you want.)

You set it up by telling the game your height, weight, and let it weigh you. And then tell the game how much weight you want to lose (you can lose up to 22 pounds/cycle, and can edit this every 2 weeks). If you try to lose too much weight too fast, the game cautions you against it, but will allow you to do it. Additionally, the game will allow you to password protect your profile, if you're worried about others finding it.

So, how's the game itself? In a word: fun. Really fun.

The exercises are easy. Step aerobics. Hula hooping. Running. Basic toning exercises (except for the pushup/jackknife. That's killer, man. killer.) Some are annoying (the balance board ones are really fun, but are killer hard for me to get right.)

And you get good feedback from the game -- you earn points for each activity, and you can actually chart the weight loss through the Wii itself. It's really sweet.

The game is fun. In a good way. I've put in an hour already tonight, and I'll continue to use it tomorrow. This is, by far, the best chance I've had to lose weight in a long, long time.

Get this game if you're looking to exercise in your own home.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

Space Above and Beyond - The Complete Series
Space Above and Beyond - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Morgan Weisser
Offered by Efficient-U
Price: $89.99
12 used & new from $14.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A few, brief notes..., October 4, 2005
There are a few of the discs with DVD DLs, meaning that they hold approx 8gb of data (which are the discs that the 4eps/ea are on). The rest are two episodes/disc (regular DVD). Think about it in terms of Firefly: the episodes there look so good because all the discs are DL.

It annoys me that the discs are akin to The West Wing - both sides are uncovered (increasing the chance of scratching in a DVD case).

Additionally, there's no commentaries, no nothing. It's a pretty bland boxset.

THAT SAID:

Out of all the TV shows I've watched, this is one of the best. The CGI was pretty crap on the first three episodes (most notably, the pilot episodes); and when you see it, it'll remind you of Star Wars.

But the ensemble has great chemistry, and if you're a fan of action (a la Firefly, Saving Private Ryan, etc)... S:AAB is for you. The show had a cult status, and I must admit, I'd been waiting for a long time for this release. I didn't think I'd ever have it see the light of day.

I bought this upon its release (at Best Buy); best fourty bucks I've spent in a helluva long time. I'm watching it more than Lost, season one, at least...

With The Lights Out
With The Lights Out
Price: $44.16
149 used & new from $4.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars., November 24, 2004
This review is from: With The Lights Out (Audio CD)
Sorry, but I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars.

I guess I need to preface this, by saying that I'm a longtime Nirvana fan. I've listened to their albums, and as many live concerts as I could. I'm also not a fan of writing reviews, but seeing as this set has so few reviews, and most of them are utterly fanatical, I suppose that my own two cents are needed.

I followed the court drama, I waited eagerly. I can't explain my excitement of listening to it for the first time. If you're reading this... then, you're looking to listen to the box for the first time, and I would have to say that it's more worth finding a friend who has the box, and listening to it through them.

This box is brilliantly put together - a chronicaling of Nirvana's coming together as a band, seeing Kurt's progression as a songwriter. But in doing that, the box makes a lot of decisions. These are good decisions, in keeping with the "forming band" and linear-progression feeling of the box, but the majority of the material I was excited about (solo acoustics) are hard to listen to, because they show Kurt practicing the songs, trying to figure them out. This being so, vocals are low in the mixes, and guitar is prevalent. The rehersals are hit-or-miss in this fashion, as well. The demos are generally pretty good quality, and the radio appearances are, as well. You'll still hear static hiss, though.

On the other hand, this box does have a lot of fascinating, good material. Of particular notice should be a good-quality Opinion, the electronic Rape Me, the cover Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam, fan-favorite Verse Chorus Verse, and a radio cut of D-7. Listeners may enjoy They Hung Him On A Cross and Token Eastern Song.

But the box has only sentimental value. It was initially considered by the surviving members of Nirvana as a way to get closure for the loss of Kurt. This box is a good farewell to Kurt, and is a good farewell to Nirvana. But, sentimental does not a good box make. Nevermind, Incesticide, and In Utero will still get more rotation then this box will; Xxii II Mcmxciv most definitely will, and Unplugged most likely will.

I guess I realized that this box... is stellar on its own. But it's not something you can bring around and listen to in a realistic fashion; it's something you cherish, but you cherish all at once. But that's a big dose in one sitting; it's a big amount.

The lack of replay of these three CDs is why the set is marked down. I'm sticking with my more polished albums, which I will value less, but will listen to much more.