Profile for dj > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dj RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Nyko Universal Power Cord - PlayStation
Nyko Universal Power Cord - PlayStation
Offered by High Bueno
Price: $3.76
36 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 AC adapter, January 12, 2015
Connected from power source to AC adapter of Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500. No issues.

This cable has the rounded-on-both-sides "infinity shaped" plug.

Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J
Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J
Price: $68.62
64 used & new from $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ~3 months in and no issues, October 20, 2013
Using with Comcast (just a bit south of Indianapolis). Been running almost three months without issue. Coupled with my ASUS RT-AC66U (Merlin firmware), even monster torrent loads don't skip a beat. I dig.

Florsheim Bifold Leather Wallet (Dark Brown)
Florsheim Bifold Leather Wallet (Dark Brown)

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wallet, October 20, 2013
Either the other reviewer got a different wallet, or he/she is full of it. While I've only had this wallet for about a week (thus I can't attest to its durability), it doesn't appear to come with any surprises. The leather is very nice to the touch, and there's an extremely fine grain to the leather; there's nothing unattractive about this wallet. Deep, dark, rich brown. For the price, I don't think anything competes with this. Florsheim has always come through for me with shoes, and this wallet is no exception.

02/22/2014 update:
Maybe the other reviewer understood something I'm only just learning. This wallet has been slowly peeling apart for the last month or more. These copy-paper-thin layers of dark brown are lifting away, leaving behind something that doesn't resemble leather to my eyes...it's some grayish ugliness underneath.

This wallet is absolutely trash. I've twice gotten about a decade's use from $20-$30 wallets. This Florsheim wallet was pathetic after a couple months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly phenomenal compact, December 10, 2012
I figure there are two types of consumers reading reviews for this camera.

Type 1: All but decided to buy this camera based on specifications and exhaustive third-party reviews, but want to know if any owners have uncovered critical problems or nuisances.

Type 2: Curious to know why people would pay more for a larger-bodied 10 megapixel camera when 16 megapixel cameras can be had for significantly less $.

For the Type 1 crowd:

I've only taken about 300 shots from this camera, but I can tell you that I'm absolutely thrilled with it. Photos are truly impressive. Controls are far more intuitive than I had imagined. I haven't taken any video, and I probably won't because I have other equipment that handles high-res video much better than this Olympus. Video is not this camera's strong suit, and I'm fine with that.

I wanted something that could put out image quality rivaling (nearly) that of my old DSLR (10.1 megapixel Canon Rebel XS + Canon kit lens + f/1.8 Canon prime). In every way, I prefer the XZ-1 to my old Canon DSLR. It's considerably smaller, obviously, and I prefer the images from the XZ-1 pretty much every time. I easily take more "keepers" with the XZ-1 than I ever did with the DSLR. White balance seems better controlled, and I prefer the colors from the Olympus. The lens gives me the freedom of taking any type of shot without changing out lenses (no carrying a giant camera bag=bonus for me). And the price versus a DSLR doesn't hurt. FWIW, I snagged my new, black XZ-1 for two bills w/free shipping. Quite a bargain!

The only other camera I think I would have really loved is the Sony RX100; price was the instant decider, in this case.

For brevity, and because the Type 1 crowd probably consists of mostly enthusiasts, I'll stop there.

For the Type 2 crowd:

The beauty of this camera (and to great extent others like it) lies mostly in its sensor and lens. The XZ-1 has a 1/1.63" CCD image sensor. Many (most?) other cameras near this price point offer a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor. The numbers represent imperial fractions dating back decades to the days of Vidicon tubes. What's important to know is that the XZ-1 sensor is considerably larger than a 1/2.3" sensor.

As best I can determine, the dimensions for the XZ-1's 1/1.63" sensor are:
7.90mm horizontal
5.80mm vertical

The dimensions for a 1/2.3" sensor:
6.17mm horizontal
4.55mm vertical

Ok, so what? Well, the XZ-1's sensor has on the order of 60 percent more area than a 1/2.3" sensor (roughly 60-63 percent larger, depending on which found-on-web dimensions I calculate).

What does that mean? It means that if you took a camera equipped with a 10 megapixel 1/1.63" sensor, and another 10 megapixel camera with a 1/2.3" sensor, the camera with the larger 1/1.63" sensor would, ceteris paribus, create a much higher quality photo.

So a larger sensor is better...but why? Image sensors, in a nutshell, convert light into electric charges that are processed into electrical signals that later transform into what we view as photographs. In my 10 megapixel comparison, the larger sensor has larger pixels, and larger pixels benefit from additional volume for capturing more photon (light) capacity, which lets them produce higher dynamic range and less perceived image noise. So if we consider a little 1/2.3" sensor with an even higher resolution, let's say 16 megapixels, the already small pixels are made even smaller to accommodate the additional almost 6 million pixels on the tiny sensor. So small just became smaller. There's a point of diminishing return when you add pixels but don't add pixel size (sensor size). When you take a 1/2.3" sensor and cram in 12, 14, or 16 million pixels, you may create some perceived sharpness, but you'll almost certainly reduce overall image quality by increasing perceived noise and lowering dynamic range.

The wide aperture of the sweet Zuiko lens (from f/1.8 at its widest, to f/2.5 at full zoom), coupled with the relatively large image sensor, allows you to take photos with a shallow depth of field for more artistic control. A shallow depth of field means shots with background blur, or bokeh; this is highly desirable for most photographers. Full manual controls and a front control ring make this kind of photography easy with the XZ-1. Aperture priority mode is a real treat.

Most compact point-and-shoot cameras offer extremely limited manual controls, usually just ISO and/or exposure.

Some image processing takes place inside all cameras before they output to a lossy JPEG. This is just fine for most casual shooters, but enthusiasts often want greater control over post-processing (tweaking photos in Lightroom, Photoshop, or the likes). The XZ-1 can shoot in Raw (large, "unprocessed" image data files) and/or JPEG, and camera buffs dig this flexibility in post-processing.

That concludes my in-a-nutshell summary, folks. I hope this has been informative. There are plenty of excellent resources on the web that cover the science in far greater detail. As well, there are many excellent books, even textbooks, that will help you to better understand some of the things I've mentioned. Photography is every bit as much science as it is art.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2012 1:17 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, I'm very happy (caution: only day 2 with this batt), September 30, 2012
I bought a used Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710), and, just as I expected, it shipped with a junk battery. It appeared to be an OEM Samsung battery, but with the way the knock-off batteries look these days it can be tricky to tell. In any event, it was toast. Slightly bulged...even smelled horrible. Two hours life, max.

I didn't want to take a gamble on a battery purchase, knowing that odds are good that an "OEM" battery will turn out to be phony, and aftermarket batteries are generally less than great (try [...] for a quick comparison). So, naturally, I prepared myself for the hefty price sticker and called around for a genuine Samsung battery. I wasn't able to procure one from a local Best Buy, Fry's, RadioShack, or two Sprint retailers (one of the corporate stores said they could have one shipped, but I wanted a battery NOW).

On account of the positive Amazon reviews for this battery, I elected to order a couple Anker batteries as backups, knowing that I had a second Epic Touch (used) on the way for my fiancé, and that there would be a good chance the OEM batteries would be unacceptable anyway (due to age and because I have a hunch the ICS OTA update trashed a lot of batteries, encouraging people to offload their handsets on auction sites).

Luckily, my Anker batteries came a day ahead of schedule, so I only had to suffer the stinky old Samsung battery for a day (plenty of time for me to install AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1.1, alpha 6).

At first glance, this is an impressive product for the money spent. Packaging is worthy of display at a brick-and-mortar, FWIW (I will upload a couple pics). But if you're looking for a resale opportunity, note there are a couple Amazon-branded inserts inside the box. As others have written, the battery is a hair fatter than the OEM, but this is of no consequence to me as my cover snapped right back on with little fuss.

There's an informative instructional sheet included that I think would be very useful for someone with a limited understanding of battery idiosyncrasies.

I didn't purchase the phone new, so I have no basis for comparisons outside of what I've read on several online forums. This review isn't even pseudoscientific, just bear in mind. I'm not even running a stock ROM, so what do I know about anything?

After only a day, I have to state I'm well pleased. With moderate usage, the phone ran more than 16 hours (about seven of which appeared to be in a deep sleep mode, while I was also in deep sleep). By morning, the phone showed better than 20% life remaining. I watched twenty minutes of videos on YouTube, then decided to put her back on the ol' charger with 15% remaining.

If this is anything like most batteries, I'd bet it won't attain its max capacity until it's been through two or three charge/discharge cycles (100% to ~ 15-20% charge, back to 100%, cycle repeat). Phone calibration over time may also factor in, too. Ultimately, I think my experience will improve slightly in the shorter term, before the battery starts to diminish capacity in the longer term. I will be sure to update my experiences in the coming months by editing or adding to this review.

I just checked my battery (I'm only on my second full charge) and pulled out my calculator; my trending suggests I will see just over 21 hours with limited usage, assuming no deep sleep state, and a 100-to-0 discharge. That should translate into real-world results that are perfectly acceptable to me.

10/28/2012 update:

A month later, and I still like this battery. After about a week of use, I flashed the phone back to the latest stock ROM (FH13). Battery life improved considerably. Epic Touch now runs about twice as long as my old Moto Photon, even though the Photon was originally rated with a greater talk time (though the phone does spend the bulk of its time in a standby state). Fiancé's Epic Touch, with its stock Samsung battery, seems to get similar battery life. Still nothing scientific about my review, but I can get through the day very, very easily. Often times I have ~50% battery life after 15 hours off charger.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 2:27 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars my second TPU case purchase from Diztronic, September 30, 2012
I previously purchased and reviewed a black TPU case for my Motorola Photon (also by Diztronic).

This case was purchased for my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D701, Sprint).

Perfect fit. Material allows your hand to get excellent purchase on the handset, unlike other inexpensive cases made of silicon. TPU is an amazing material for wrapping a phone. The glossy, flexible material offers considerable rigidity and integrity post-installation. Sides extend 1mm or so beyond the screen, thus your phone can be placed upside-down on a table without fear of scratching the display. While I've only had this case for a day, I'm sure it will perform just like the one on my Photon.

The TPU case for my Photon allowed it to survive several drops (usually onto concrete, sometimes tumbling/cartwheeling) without consequence. Phone is still mint and I never installed a screen protector.

I don't understand the hype about OtterBox cases and the likes. If protection is superior, I figure it's marginally so. Too much bulk and weight for my taste. I prefer the slimmer profile, reduced weight, reduced price, and cleaner appearance of TPU.

Don Hume H715-M 36-1 Holster Glock 26,27,Right Hand Model
Don Hume H715-M 36-1 Holster Glock 26,27,Right Hand Model

5.0 out of 5 stars IWB perfection, August 31, 2012
I've worn mine five to six days per week, every week for a year. It still looks brand new, and I'm the sweatiest guy on the planet. No discomfort ever. There's simply nothing I can think of that would improve this holster. I've had several IWB holsters, and they all lacked something. This Don Hume is perfection. Design, fit, retention, draw, clip, stitching, thickness, color...all amazing. For the price, you simply can't believe the quality of construction until you get one in your hands. I'm shocked these aren't two or three times more expensive.

Convinced a friend to get one for his XD subcompact (it's a different Don Hume model, I'm sure) . Then, convinced another friend to try one for his Glock 27. They're both well pleased.

Just bought a Galco Kingtuk to try; I hear these "hybrid" holsters are great. Not for me. Too hard to put on and take off, and I find no discernible improvement in comfort. Pants don't have any reduced tendency to acutely sag. Bangs up my front Trijicon when I try to draw rapidly. Silliness. I'll return the Kingtuk immediately.
Comment Comment | Permalink

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best ant crack on the planet., August 6, 2012
I still like the Terro Liquid baits, but this year they were ineffective against some incredibly small variety of ant. These teeny, tiny things were coming in by the many thousands. DuPont Advion Ant Gel made quick work of the problem and probably worked in half the time. It costs more, but goes a LONG way. I bought four tubes, and I've probably used 1/8 of one tube across four small applications. A little does a lot. I gave away a tube to a friend, and I suspect I still have enough to last a few years.

Cisco Linksys E1500 Wireless-N WiFi Router with SpeedBoost (Certified Refurbished)
Offered by Amazing Deals Online
Price: $27.95
4 used & new from $18.29

4.0 out of 5 stars I've deployed dozens of routers, primarily Linksys, and this is the worst yet, August 6, 2012
Sept 2014 update:
Bumped score to four stars

Feb 2013 update:

Finally got around to setting up the third of three E1500s I purchased a good while ago (this one for the in-laws, so I waited until I was confident this router was worth trying again).

Went through my usual setup: tossed the disc aside, hit up 192.168.1.1 in the browser (dismissing the prompts to allow me to connect to the unsecured box), flashed firmware to v1.0.05, changed admin password with a strong key, changed SSID, changed router name, disabled UPnP, set wireless to N-only @ 20MHz, auto channel selected, established WPA2-Personal with a strong key, and disabled WPS. No fuss, no sequenced rebooting of modem and router numerous times- just quick and simple (your mileage may vary, depending on ISP and modem).

It seems there's no longer a "WMM problem", so there's probably no need to fiddle with the WMM setting.

According to a list online titled "WPS Vulnerability status update for Linksys devices", article ID "25154", the new firmware feature provided by Cisco to disable WPS should eliminate exposure to WPS hacks (I did not take the time to test with an actual hack). I like this very, very much. Few manufacturers have gone back and patched up their firmware for this vulnerability. Kudos.

Now, if this router performs the way I know it *can*, I'll consider it a terrific buy. IPv6 support, ability to disable WPS, slick and discreet form factor without annoying lights, excellent wireless range and stability, and no more WMM issues? THIS IS THE LINKSYS WE USED TO KNOW. That statement no longer means much as Belkin is destined to acquire Linksys from Cisco.

If you're on FiOS (or similar), you're slinging large files around on the LAN all day long, you're a hardcore gamer or need advanced QOS (most people can't even set this up correctly- even the "pros"), you "need" Gigabit Ethernet, or you "need" 5GHz, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. Otherwise, this router should fit the bill nicely.

If the router starts acting flaky, I'll hear about it soon and let you readers know. Honestly, I think this router has finally been "officially" debugged and updated to the max. FWIW, it looks like Tomato by Shibby's E1500 build is no longer considered "experimental." Could be worth a look....?

************************************

Jan 2013 update:

On Sept 19, 2012, Cisco issued firmware 1.0.05 to (allegedly) fix the 'WMM problem."

************************************

I experienced pathetic ~ .3Mbps download speeds over wireless, yet "full speed" 4.2Mbps upload over wireless and "full speed" over wired connections. I "fixed" the wimpy download speed problem by disabling WMM support (Applications & Gaming > QoS > WMM Support). Wireless connection then became ~ 20Mbps/4.2Mbps (perfect for the ISP subscription at the location of interest). Note: firmware was flashed to latest revision prior to any configuring.

All was well, then three months later I ran into another, greater problem. The wireless speeds were crippled on my fiancé's work notebook. Had to switch off wireless N at the router to get her online. A couple weeks later, I got a Samsung Series 7 notebook. Same problem. What the??? I'd had multiple devices connected to this router without issue, but suddenly these two new devices wouldn't connect at N speeds without MASSIVE throughput fluctuations and absolutely wretched performance. What gives? Well, as it turned out, both devices were equipped with Intel wireless adapters, both with current drivers (Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150 in the Samsung, and Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300, I believe, in the HP). I guess the router isn't Intel-friendly.

At about this time, a client gave me back the cheap Encore ENHWI-2AN3 router I'd had out on loan. Both of the notebooks with Intel adapters would connect at N speeds without fail. He'd not had any trouble with the Encore router over several months.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and the router just died. Probably the power supply, but good grief. The box was connected to a CyberPower 685AVR UPS with EMI/RFI filters. I think this was right at the four-month mark, just outside the 90-day refurb warranty.

I'm glad I only deployed one other E1500 by the time I made these discoveries.

If you want an excellent router, I'd encourage buying an E2000 (or E3000, if the additional features are appealing). I've punished a good number of these. They're absolutely lovely. The only problem with either of these is that they're no longer supported by Cisco (no firmware updates will be made available). The biggest drawback is you won't get a firmware fix from Cisco for the newly discovered WiFi Protected Setup hack. And whether or not you use the WPS feature does not make it any less vulnerable, as I understand. You also will miss out on IPv6 support, for what it's worth. If you're so inclined, the best solution to correct these drawbacks is to flash the firmware with TomatoUSB (quick and dead simple; not at all like trying to figure out DD-WRT). The E2000 and E3000 are rock solid with the vastly superior TomatoUSB. I prefer the TomatoUSB Shibby builds for my occasional "hard core" needs. I understand Toastman builds are superb as well. For the 99%, the "regular" TomatoUSB builds specified for either the E2000 or E3000 will be terrific.

Note: I've run E2000 boxes with the stock firmware, TomatoUSB, and Shibby. Dead reliable for many months with each firmware. I've never run the stock firmware on the E3000- Shibby only.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 11:04 AM PDT

HP 10bII Financial Calculator
HP 10bII Financial Calculator
Offered by UnbeatableSale, Inc
Price: $55.03
36 used & new from $8.94

4.0 out of 5 stars hp 10BII vs TI BAII Plus...from a guy who used both PLENTY, August 1, 2012
The hp 10BII absolutely destroys the TI BAII Plus. The hp has a nicer display (better contrast). The key depress on the hp is precise, with an audible and tactile click upon key depress. The TI's keys have higher tolerances; they wobble a bit and have more travel. Sometimes I thought an input registered on the TI, but it didn't. That's unacceptable for a financial calculator. I recall several miscalculations on my TI, as a result. I recall no mis-keying with my hp. The best part of all is the more efficient operation of the hp. I swear some entries that required 20+ convoluted, counter-intuitive keystrokes on the TI took something like eight keystrokes with the hp. There's simply no comparison. I'd wager a penny my hp can perform any calculation my TI can with the same or fewer key depresses. What the heck...while I'm at it, the hp definitely wins in the style and construction department.

One thing that did bug me a bit with the hp was that, in a quiet room at exam time, the hp's key clicking could be heard. This could be a distraction to others...perhaps yourself. It's certainly quite audible. This was exacerbated because every instructor in my business school seemed to want to shove TI calculators down every student's throat (students all seemed to use the TI BAII Plus or BAII Plus Pro). Those TIs are nearly silent in use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 7:10 PM PDT