Profile for Random Rebel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Random Rebel RSS Feed

Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone w/Mount (Model discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by DVeStore - Digital Video Electronics Store
Price: $149.00
9 used & new from $124.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No Reason Not To Buy, July 25, 2012
First things first, the Rode shipped very quickly and when unpackaged I was thoroughly impressed with the integrity of the packaging material. The box had two tamper-evident tape seals and once removed the box opened up to the mic itself, various instruction and warranty cards/manuals, and even a sticker accompanied by extra shock absorbing bands. Mounting the mic is fairly straight forward as far as mounting onto the camera/camcorder itself yet it was difficult to figure out how to mount the mic on a boom pole or tripod. Needless to say these mounting options are feasible.

From initial testing, I've found that the handy high-pass-filter HPF setting proved optimal for indoor use by raising the noise floor. Outdoors, the normal setting is used and the Rode will capture sound with all its gold and glory.

Some things to know are that the mic does not include a wind filter yet Rode does manufacture one. Additionally, a wind filter bypass can be found in several device recording settings. The Rode Mic is directional meaning that whatever it is pointed at will be the prime focus of audio concentration. However, any noise within 360 degrees perpendicular to the tip of the mic will be heard clearly.

This product proved to be fantastic from the use i've had so far. If there are any other things to know it would be to buy a 10ft+ male and female stereo extension cable to mount the mic on a boom or elsewhere off-camera.

2 Pack LP-E8 LPE8 Equivalent Battery for Canon EOS Rebel 550D, Rebel T2i
2 Pack LP-E8 LPE8 Equivalent Battery for Canon EOS Rebel 550D, Rebel T2i
Offered by 33 Street Camera
Price: $12.99
9 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great with my T4i, July 2, 2012
I was skeptical with these being so cheap but I must express that I'm thoroughly pleased. They both seem to last as long as the stock battery (consecutively) And charge at relatively the same rate. They shipped relatively quickly and even came in protective cases. Good deal.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality but..., June 30, 2012
The hard plastic does great to protect the lens but the hood itself is threaded which makes it hard to align on the lens. It does not actually fit on the grooves of the focus ring like normal hoods do. Just a fair warning.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR with 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens (OLD MODEL)
Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR with 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens (OLD MODEL)
Offered by Innovation Tech
Price: $685.00
33 used & new from $430.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Pictures and Video!, June 27, 2012
I returned my T3i to Best Buy and got the T4i straight from here with the 18-55mm lens kit. I have to say that so far, I'm greatly impressed by the improvements over its predecessor. The touch screen alone is worth the extra pay making it easy to view photos and change settings without the worry of buttons. The feature guide was far from intuitive and caused a lot of clutter when in live-view mode. However, this is easily disabled. The Manual is very comprehensive and offers many tips for amateurs and even for more intermediate photographers like me. The video autofocus isn't as snappy as advertised. BUT This is also because of the lens. The 18-55mm lens isn't as quick to autofocus in video as the canon 50mm f2.8 or even the canon 40mm f1.8. I greatly recommend either of these lenses to accompany the camera body. If you aren't willing to pay an extra 100$ for a 50mm lens though, or 200$ for a 40mm, then the 18-55mm lens will suffice. Things to know: If you buy an additional lens separately, know that the 50mm f2.8 lens that canon makes has a very loud autofocus noise whereas the 40mm pancake lens offers very quiet focussing and is MUCH MUCH snappier. If you want to record with the stereo microphone built-in, I would recommend using manual focus. If you videographers out there want to capture video with autofocus on and have clear audio, then an external audio recorder would be a great solution.

So, aside from this review (which sounds more like a guide) I'll give a quick run-down of what I think of the camera overall:
* - Poor
** - Very lacking
*** - Average/Indifferent
**** - Good
***** - Perfect
Look/Feel: **** - The camera DOES feel a bit cheap and doesn't have a solid feel to it. However, this is because of the Poly-carbonite exterior which makes the camera very LIGHT. The buttons also feel even cheeper that the T3i which doesn't rustle my feathers much. The camera is also very small but can accommodate a battery grip easily.

Battery ** - It needs to be said, the battery life for the common EOS Rebel is very lacking since 440 shots may not be enough for people like me. Movie recording also drains the battery quite rapidly. Since I have a battery grip and two extra batteries, this won't affect my overall review.

Performance ***** - I don't feel comfortable giving any category a perfect rating but Canon deserves a pat on the back for making such a friendly camera with an outstanding hybrid sensor, interface, and capabilities. No complaints here.

Capabilities/Range ***** - Again a perfect rating, I KNOW. Trying to be fair but I honestly can't think of an accurate reason why this wouldn't deserve 5 stars. The most important differences between the T2i, T3i, and the T4i is that the T4i includes: 9 cross-type autofocus points (which help to capture a clearer image), A hybrid sensor which also accounts for continuous video autofocus, an extended ISO Range, A fabulous touch screen which also swivels, there are also two additional shooting modes which are night-time shooting and HDR, Lastly is the built-in stereo microphone which you may learn to love or not use depending on the lens.

Overall *****
Since I don't have a pet-peeve about the texture and battery life, I can say with confidence that anyone can take great pictures and video with this camera. It is easy to use, fun to use, and has a huge array of settings to suit more advanced shooters. The price is reasonable too. In conclusion, I love this camera.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for T3i, June 12, 2012
When I got this thing I thought that it might make the bottom of the camera body too fat. Once attached though, I realized that it felt good in the hand, not great. Reason being is because there's a small ridge that my pinky finger comes in contact with on the front side. If it wasn't there, my pinky would fit snuggly in the corner of the bottom portion on the front. The best thing about the grip aside from longer battery is the ability to take portrait oriented pictures with the dedicated shutter button on the bottom right corner. I only wish this grip came with two LP-E8 batteries.