Profile for rubbernipplesalesman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"rubbernipplesalesman" RSS Feed (Boyertown Pennsylvania)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Far From the Madding Crowd
Far From the Madding Crowd
Price: $14.27
20 used & new from $9.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Previous Two Albums, April 17, 2004
This third album in their trilogy is lightyears ahead of its predecessors. The songs are less prog oriented and more straight ahead with catchy choruses and more overtones of celtic influence. More AOL friendly (that is, if celtic sounding metal was in vogue). The lead singers voice is a reminder of Ronnie James Dio when hitting high notes and reminds me of Masters of Reality on the low key softer (spoken) parts. The album has moments of intense speed oriented metal and has moments of a Falconer/Finntroll celtic riffs. The alternation of speed and mellow breaks up and makes a more interesting album out of what could've been a rather mediocre album such as the previous release which was, in my mind, lackluster and ....well....average. In two words this album is "more focused". Hope this helped make your decision to buy it. If you don't, its your loss.

Conquistador
Conquistador
by S. M. Stirling
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.96
160 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical Eurocentric Garbage, April 10, 2004
Let me start by saying that I had high hopes for this book and its premise. After the first chapter those hopes were dashed. The book is based around a society of people mostly of European descent that at most levels have a confrontational and aggressive policy towards Native Americans on the other side. Just like it occured over here in real history. Napalming a rogue band of "indians"? The book bases its storyline around a eurocentric point of view that, due to superior firepower, the indians are on the loosing end again. Lame. This book could've been so much more. Its just a case of alternate history repeating history. Lame. To much Flash-Bang and repetitive themes and not enough substance. How about a storyline where indians and "settlers" get along? If your going to rewrite a "history" try being original. I got about half way through this dump of a book and couldn't take it anymore. Not worth the effort to get to the punchline.

Quantum Leap: Season 1
Quantum Leap: Season 1
DVD ~ Scott Bakula
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $10.99
33 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Uh-Oh....Good Show...Extreme cost, April 6, 2004
This review is from: Quantum Leap: Season 1 (DVD)
Uh-oh. Deja-vu all over again. I won't comment too much on the show itself because anyone looking at this is probably considering buying it or they wouldn't be here reading. Quantum Leap was another of my favorite shows next to Northern Exposure. Unfortunately, like Northern Exposure the first season of Quantum Leap was a late season fill-in that only produced 8 episodes the first season. And like Northern Exposure, this DVD set is overpriced. Shame shame. Taking advantage of paying customers, the companies in charge of distribution should reconsider the cost and how much they may be driving good customers away. 5 stars for the show, 1 for the cost= 3 stars average.

Natural Born Chaos
Natural Born Chaos
Price: $12.50
40 used & new from $2.14

4.0 out of 5 stars New To The Soilwork Camp, March 27, 2004
This review is from: Natural Born Chaos (Audio CD)
Just wanted to drop a quick review in here. I generally don't have leanings towards to death metal side of the metal scene but Soilwork has to be the exception. As a matter-of-fact I generally lean towrds power and "true" metal. Recently I have gotten back into a powerlifting career and power metal just wasn't bringing out the pure agression necessary to get that "contolled insanity" going for a big lift. Enter Soilwork via a few younger guys at the gym (they're 20, I'm 35). Needless to say, as any Soilwork fan will tell you, I'm blown away by the intensity and melodic portions of this album. The last time I was this freaked by an album was 1992...the album?...Vulger Display of Power from Pantera.

Read with Me Bible: an NIrV Story Bible for Children
Read with Me Bible: an NIrV Story Bible for Children
by Doris Rikkers
Price: $13.74
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Good Book is a Good Book, March 19, 2004
Recommended Age: 3-5 (the back of the book recommends 4-8). I have to disagree with the statements that this book's descriptions diminish the intent of the stories. Reading some of the stories of the bible to a child at that age is tedious enough. To bog the storylines down with detail at that age bores the child. They don't exactly have the patience of a "saint". I agree that this is a good preschool version though. By eight years old I was using an adult Bible and memorizing passages. I imagine my son will probably be pretty bright at that point also. I seriously doubt he will be using this Bible except as a cross reference. As for the book itself the illustrations are rather entertaining and in some cases comedic. They are very colorful and eye-catching for a 3-5 year old. As stated before, the storylines are easy to follow and don't dwell to deeply which caters to night time reading when a child is most receptive to stories. Another plus is that it intelligently smoothes the corners on some of the more violent or touchy subjects within the text of a standard Bible. If you want the whole story including the graphic nature of Christ's death you should just buy a regular Bible and attempt a translation for you child. Personally, I don't feel a child the age of three necessarily needs a detailed description of what a scourging with a metal tipped whip is or the knowledge that spikes were driven into His hands. Allow children to be children and innocent for a few years. The brutality of human violence and stupidity will become painfully evident as they get older anyway. All in all I thought this was an excellent, entertaining, educational first Bible for teaching my son the Word of God. Hope those that read this post will find it to their liking also.

Little People Surprise Sounds Fun Park
Little People Surprise Sounds Fun Park

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost Good, March 14, 2004
More like 2 1/2 stars in each catagory. I recently bought this to add to the enormous collection of little people toys my son already has. I think he has somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 Little People alone. I have many of the playsets and this is one of the mediocre sets. As with similar merry-go-round toys from FP the Little People end up in the dog food dish when my son cranks it up. Fllinnggg! I don't know if its possible to put an eye out with a little person but my son is unusually strong for his age and gets a certain joy out of watching things fly that were not meant to. If they can hit me in the face then.. I suppose they could hit him too. I need to be especially attentive when he has this toy out in the livingroom.

Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season
Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Rob Morrow
Offered by CDs & DVDs
Price: $11.20
24 used & new from $2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Enough To Fling A Piano, March 14, 2004
It has been a long time coming but the first season is finally here in DVD. My VHS tapes are falling apart, they couldn't have come at a better time. I agree that the cost is rather excessive...but...I don't want to wait another 9 or 10 years till they decide to put these excellent episodes on DVD format. I will probably be more than willing to shell out the cash to get these DVDs as the are released. In my 30+ years of television viewing this has to be one of the best programs ever to grace the small screen. Hopefully they will release the whole cosmic enchilada and I won't be short a season when I'm done collecting. Time has done justice to this show. It seems to appeal to me more as the years go by. It is a shame it only lasted a few years. Big things come in small packages I guess. As Marilyn would say, "Yes!"

Odyssey
Odyssey
20 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets Step Back and Look at This from a Different Angle, February 14, 2004
This review is from: Odyssey (Audio CD)
Sym X is one of those bands where you couldn't possibly appreciate fully whats going on from one listen. Initailly I found myself favoring "V" over this album, but it was all about time. How much time I actually invested in listening to the new album as opposed to the last one. I've been listening to "V" for years. The Odyssey, months. Trying the compare the two side by side isn't fair. So I put "V" away for a while and solely listen to the Odyssey for a few months. The result? I found the Odyssey to be audibly and technically superior to "V". Why...? I have always been drawn to "heavier" "more complex" metal music. Odyssey supplied that. It also supplied what I consider one of the best metal theme albums ever "composed". Go in unbiased and you should be okay. Otherwise it will never come near how you percieve some of their older work.

Price: $13.99
52 used & new from $6.77

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a Very Good Album, February 14, 2004
This review is from: Glorious Burden (Audio CD)
As the overall rating will attest to, out of over 50 reviews the album is still getting 4+ stars. Granted you will have detracters in the form of I love Barlow, I hate Ripper types. The fact is that this is a very solid album from top to bottom. Especially so if you ordered or purchased the Limited Edition disc. Ripper is no everyones cup of tea but then again Barlow in some peoples opinion was what was holding the music back. I personally like both of the singers. The album still has Jon S.'s trademark chuga-chuga-chuga riff. The double base on Attila is mind-numbing. Good or better than anything in Metallica's ..And Justice For All. The vocal overlays on songs like Greenface and Red Baron Blue Max are second to almost none except Blind Guardian's..And Then There Was Silence. If there are any drawbacks it would have to be the slower songs or "ballads". They just don't fit and I've been finding myself more and more frequently skipping over them as time progresses. I believe if you give the album a chance after repeated plays you will find more and more reasons to like it...especially the Gettysburg trilogy. If you go in thinking "Ripper has something to prove to me" you've already defeated the reason for listening. Treat this album as if your listening to a new up and coming band (which actually it is) considering with a new singer you have a completely different sound and I think you will be pleasently surprised. Besides, being an American and a patriot the theme of the album is downright...emotional. Any music that can stir me on an emotional level has got my vote.

26 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a Good Album, February 14, 2004
This review is from: Glorious Burden (Audio CD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3