Profile for Nick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 151

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nick RSS Feed (SW FL)

Price: $13.77
7 used & new from $11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Best One I've Ever Owned, December 9, 2014
This review is from: Husky Tools Hot / Cold Thermos
This thermos really does work well. I leave the home with this filled with coffee -- my coffee, my own blend -- and I will have a pretty warm cup of coffee when I want it during the day. This is not the bulky, waste of space, yet low volume, and not so useful thermos I had back in the late 70's. Nor is this my Dad's thermos, easily broken on the inside from back in the day. It gets a lot of use, and I am very pleased.

Whetstone Cutlery Tac Force Speedster 440 Stainless Folding Knife, Black
Whetstone Cutlery Tac Force Speedster 440 Stainless Folding Knife, Black
Offered by KnifeCountryUSA
Price: $8.95
8 used & new from $4.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Choice for a Knife on a Budget, December 7, 2014
This is an OK budget knife. I acquired this model because I was curious about the spring assist feature. For a low-cost knife, it is interesting. The pivot and other screws loosened in about a week's worth of casual use, but a torx set easily available at the local big box hardware store addressed that problem easily enough. This sort of loosening, mentioned by a number of other reviewers, would be unacceptable on a knife at a higher price point, but it can be remedied.

I don't find the spring assist on this model to open the knife any faster or easier than my EDC CRKT flipper (that cost a lot more than I paid for this knife), but the spring assist feature works. The blade steel is perfectly adequate for general tasks, and it isn't hard to sharpen and strop. Stainless steel isn't rust proof, but it is corrosion resistant and this is a valid choice for a pocket knife that many people might carry in marine environments.

Husky 8 in 1 Torx Screwdriver Set
Husky 8 in 1 Torx Screwdriver Set
Offered by Gold Land
Price: $16.49
6 used & new from $11.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tool for Folding Knives & Multi-Tools, December 7, 2014
I purchased this for $6.33 at my local big box hardware store a couple of nights ago. I had a pocket knife that needed some screws re-tightened, and then I moved on to a couple of other multi-tools and knives. This had all three sizes of bits I needed, and the fit and function was excellent. It is a fine tool to add to the tool box, or the tech's bag. This is the second Huskey product I've purchased recently, and I am pleased.

2014-2015 17-Months QUO VADIS Weekly Turquoise Sky Blue Academic Planner "SCHOLAR" (Includes August 2014-December 2015) Made in USA (Turquoise Sky Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Choice for Fountain Pen Users, November 20, 2014
I've used this academic planner, pressing it into service for my small business needs, in past years. The quality of the paper is superb, and perfect for fountain pens. I've had no problems with medium or fine nib fountain pens using blue-black, red, green, even black inks. There is no feathering, or ghosting. Should you need to keep the planner as an archive (I always do), the high quality paper will serve you well.

The ruling is nice, and the space for each day is generous enough to make notes, plans and make references as needed. I've never felt like I was going to run out of writing space for the schedule keeping and quick bits of information that I regularly need to take down as a part of my job. I'll always consider this planner as an excellent option.

Rhodia 2015 Pocket Size Weekly with Notes 4 x 6 Planner Black
Rhodia 2015 Pocket Size Weekly with Notes 4 x 6 Planner Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Paper, November 20, 2014
This is the smallest planner I have ever purchased, but it is a Rhodia, has the fountain pen friendly paper I need, and all of the features that I like for business purposes. The grid section on the opposite page from the days of each week is very useful for notes, emails and phone numbers. I run a lot of errands for clients and having a space for addresses, notes to self, and contact numbers is important for me. The diminutive size of this planner is actually an asset, although I have used the Rhodia desk size planners in the past and they are very nice as well.

I've already penned in some events and dates using a Waterman Phileas medium nib, and blue-black ink. The paper holds up well, with no issues of feathering or bleeding, although there is a certain degree of ghosting, but of no consequence. Since I keep my planners to archive notes and information for future use, the acid free, high quality paper will be around for a long time and that matters. I'll likely purchase this planner again in future years.

Rhodia Classic Staple Bound Lined Yellow Paper Pad 8.25 X 12.5 (#19)
Rhodia Classic Staple Bound Lined Yellow Paper Pad 8.25 X 12.5 (#19)
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $11.12
6 used & new from $11.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Fountain Pen Friendly, November 11, 2014
This is a fountain pen friendly legal size pad, and that is imporant to me. At work, I regularly employ a medium nib Waterman Phileas, using Waterman's Blue-Black ink. The ink doesn't bleed or feather with this paper. I also use a fine nib, eyedropper pen supplied by Noodler's with their Nikita Red, and the writing is smooth and mess free. This pad is a nice upgrade.

Camping Multi-Tool Essential Eating Utensil Food Knife
Camping Multi-Tool Essential Eating Utensil Food Knife
Offered by Deals Only Web Store
Price: $6.79
2 used & new from $6.78

3.0 out of 5 stars This Will Get the Job Done, October 25, 2014
This camping multi-tool is now a part of a hurricane season "bug out" kit for a family car -- essential gear for Floridians. As such, it is compact, simple, durable enough for the purpose, and the case for the tool is very appropriate and useful. The multi-tool,if not the sturdiest piece of kit I've acquired, will get the job done, and it can be washed, dried and reused.

The encased multi-tool is small enough to be included with camp or traveling cookware, and other supplies and utensils that might be needed or come in handy if eating along the roadside, in a camp ground or rest stop, or a motel room. For the price, it is an affordable choice. I've put the bottle opener and the slip-joint (non-locking) knife to use today, and these features work well enough.

Douk-Douk Folder 160mm
Douk-Douk Folder 160mm
Offered by KnifeCountryUSA
Price: $20.69
4 used & new from $20.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A Design That Has Stood The Test Of Time, October 17, 2014
Some designs endure forever, and Douk-Douk's little knife has earned a solid reputation as a useful, well made slip joint (non-locking) folder that can take a very sharp edge. The history of this knife is interesting, but that only adds to the proven build quality of this folder.

The simplicity of the design makes this small pocket knife easy to maintain. That it is non-locking is not a fault, it is appropriate for the kinds of light duty, general cutting for which this is designed. Respect the design, and the knife is a classy looking, simply constructed, and durable tool. In another forum, it was mentioned by a long-time owner of this knife that a good way to open this folder (with a strong backspring) is to pull the handle away from the blade, rather than the blade from the handle. I agree, and do this myself. It opens easily using this technique.

This is not my primary EDC, but it often does travel with me as a secondary knife, or it gets paired with a camping multi-tool. At the on-sale price of about $20, including shipping, this was a good purchase. Douk-Douk makes other, similar folders and should the price be right, I'd own them (probably will own them) all.

CRKT Double Pack Guppie Tool 90702C
CRKT Double Pack Guppie Tool 90702C
Offered by Best Service Stores
Price: $20.93
18 used & new from $15.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Deal on Two Good Light Duty Tools, October 16, 2014
This is a very good combination package -- the buyer gets two really good, if light duty, tools for a very reasonable price. Both the spork/bottle opener and the Guppie (also has a bottle opener) are well made tools.

First the Guppie. For light duty troubleshooting, and simple tune up sort of maintenance around the house, the office, or out and about this is a very well built multi tool for the money. It is not a replacement for a tool box, or a better quality tool kit for the trunk of the car, nor is it promoted as such. On a belt, or attached to my pocket with the pocket clip, it is handy and lightweight.

The clever wrench design makes sense. It helped me tighten up some fittings on a table lamp this evening. I wouldn't put this to work on my lawn and garden machinery, but for dealing with something in my office that needs the attention of a small wrench, the Guppie will get it done.

Lots of reviewers note that the knife is sharp, can be made very sharp, and is pretty good quality for a blade attached to a multi tool. I agree completely. The non-locking nature of this knife is in keeping with the admonition that the Guppie is a light duty multi tool. I wouldn't mind if the next generation of Guppie does have a liner lock knife, but this non-locking blade is appropriate. My EDC knife is generally a CRKT Ripple, a first-rate liner lock knife. I carry the Guppie together with my Ripple most of the time. For me, this is a good combination and it isn't like I'm hauling around a freight train.

The screwdriver bits are good enough for that kind of work that involves fixing or assembling something for use on a desk at the office or at home. The tiny flashlight makes finding the screw head in a dimly lit space much easier. It helped tonight while working in a closet. I hope the bit carrier grips the four bits well for a long time, because this is a clever inovation, and gives me the freedom to finally dump all of the cheap, low-quality little screwdrivers that have somehow accumulated around the house and office over the years.

The Eat 'N Tool is not a part of my EDC. It is part of my traveling and hurricane evac kit. It is a perfectly functional device that makes for a durable eating utensil with that all important bottle opener. The Eat 'N Tool will probably never be featured in an offering of formal dinnerware, but I'm not likely to be hosting a black-tie event during a hurricane evacuation. The useful carabiner clip allows me to pair this device with a little slip joint knife. This is a clever tool, made stronger by being a single piece of metal rather than multiple little parts.

Cold Steel Secret Edge Knife
Cold Steel Secret Edge Knife
Price: $22.08
61 used & new from $22.08

3.0 out of 5 stars It Works Well Enough, October 3, 2014
I use this knife, on the chain as a neck knife, when I am out on my bicycle. It is off of my belt, out of the way, but should I need a knife, I have one. The blade is sharp enough, and can certainly be made very sharp. The handle provides decent grip -- important since there is no guard on this design. While not my favorite design, this knife and sheath combination does work well enough for discreet carry as a neck knife -- which is why I purchased this a few years ago, when it was on sale. The accompanying chain is functional, if not perfect. I've adjusted the length to work for me. A number of reviewers have replaced the chain with other things.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16