Profile for Christine Ranck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christine Ranck RSS Feed (New York, NY USA)

India's Summer
India's Summer
by Therese
23 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Waters Run Surprisingly Deep, February 21, 2012
This review is from: India's Summer (Paperback)
Well this book was a delightful surprise. It floats along on the surface of the lifestyles of the rich and famous (fascinating, and obviously written by someone who has some personal connection to that world and knows her stuff!), but all along there are little clues that something's going to happen. And then it does, BIGTIME. All at once, what's shallow becomes very deep, and you are driven along at a mad pace, waiting to see what will HAPPEN???? I loved this book, and am glad to have been a little fooled, so that I could appreciate the wallop. Wonderful, and at times laugh-out-loud funny. I highly recommend it if you want a fun book that's more than you bargained for.

Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age
Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age
by Michael Gelb
Price: $10.70
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 60 really IS the new 40!, January 1, 2012
I always laugh when I hear that 60 is the new 40, but this book proves it! Sliding into feeble inactivity and dementia just because you're getting old is definitely not inevitable any more, and there are a bunch of things you can do to help yourself. What a revelation to read about it! I'm having fun experimenting with a lot of the great methods in this book for enhancing brain power, but I think even if I only tried two, my brain would probably still be so happy! Now that there's proof that our brains can change, learn and grow no matter how old we are, that pretty much changes everything--no excuses for becoming an old geezer. This informative, motivating, and incredibly helpful book is full of ideas for enhancing quality of life--frankly, no matter what age you are. One of my favorite parts of the book was the fascinating study of a group of men in their 70s, who lived--for one week--exactly as they would in the year 1959. I won't spoil it, but wait till you hear what happened to them! Einstein would giggle if he knew about it! So I would say that if you're interested in staying youthful for the duration, this book is the one to inspire you.
Dr.Christine Ranck

Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $22.46
30 used & new from $12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing things with new eyes, June 6, 2011
It is very difficult for human beings to see anything new because our brain is always delivering what it already knows. That's part of what made this book so remarkable for me. The author, with her passion and beautiful writing, helped me to discover and see so many new things, or see them in new ways. This is a beautiful, entertaining, and deeply moving book. I didn't want it to end.

How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day
How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day
by Michael Gelb
Price: $11.89
444 used & new from $0.34

5.0 out of 5 stars The Richness of Life, March 22, 2011
This is a wonderful book that inspired and influenced me in ways I wouldn't have expected. I think it's about how to live richly while you're here, something which the brilliant Leonardo appears to have been able to accomplish. This book tells how to engage all the senses in creating an experience of daily abundance. It contains brilliant ways to interpret the past and how things were done then--and then bring them into the present in useful and creative ways. This book is full of the sumptuousness of the good life. The author is funny, charming, and lovingly masterful on his topic. I thoroughly enjoyed it and heartily recommend it.

Journey Through Pet Loss
Journey Through Pet Loss
by Deborah Antinori
Edition: Audio Cassette
5 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars This helped my friend tremendously, February 25, 2011
I don't have any pets right now, but I do know from experience that losing a pet can feel almost unbearable sometimes. After my best friend's beloved cat died, she was a wreck and just couldn't seem to get past it. She was really suffering, and it was affecting everything in her life. So I gave her this tape, and she says it was the first and only thing that actually helped her to start feeling better. The author is compassionate, speaks from her own experience, and knows things to do to help you start to move on. My friend was most grateful for this process, and I was so happy to be able to be helpful. I heard about it from another friend who also said it was great. I highly recommend it--it can be just the right thing when you don't know what to do to help someone you care about.

On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility
On Fertile Ground: Healing Infertility
by Helen Adrienne
Price: $17.96
28 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fertile information, February 3, 2011
I got this book because I heard about it, and because I LOVED the title. I haven't struggled with the obviously excruciating pain of infertility. But I realized after I finished it that the book works for ANYONE who is suffering or facing really hard challenges. The title, "On Fertile Ground" still fits, because usually when you get to the other side of a challenge, you find out that you learned and grew a lot. Adversity is usually fertile ground. So while this book would be incredible and irreplaceable for couples wanting children, it would also be good for any couple that wanted to make their relationship better. And I got so much out of it myself that I would recommend it for anyone who wants to understand themselves better. It's full of great exercises, wonderful stories, and wise counsel that is useful no matter what the word "fertile" means to you. I highly recommend it.

The Artist Within: A Guide to Becoming Creatively Fit
The Artist Within: A Guide to Becoming Creatively Fit
by Whitney Ferre
Price: $12.54
62 used & new from $6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book!, February 2, 2011
Whitney Ferre says that each and every one of us is creative. It is our nature. But most of us get socialized, schooled, misdirected, and traumatized into pushing that gift down until we can't find it anymore. But rejoice! She's created a book that knows exactly how we've lost ourselves, and can help ANYONE to fire up that spark again. The guided exercises in "The Artist Within" re-balance the brain to a decidedly more right-sided, creative position, and can inspire readers to re-discover themselves in ways they never thought possible. And if that's not enough, if you follow the Ferre's simple instructions, you'll be painting. (Believe me, if I can do it, ANYBODY can. I'm pretty awful.) You might get some fabulous, utterly unique creative expression of your own life to hang on your wall, if you want to--that was my hope. As a non-painter who now paints, I can say that this book is wonderful and fun, and the world would be a much better place if we all painted before we did anything else. We'd have our priorities straight! I've had the best time with this book, I've learned a lot, and I highly recommend it to anybody who wants to be inspired in some of the most unexpected ways!

Shift: How to Deal When Life Changes
Shift: How to Deal When Life Changes
by Abigail Brenner
Price: $13.46
18 used & new from $11.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of fresh air, November 21, 2010
I literally breathed a sigh of relief upon reading this motivating, inspiring, and ultimately peaceful book. I am desperately trying to downsize my complicated life, and it seems to me that the world is getting more and more complicated, troubling, regulated, and rigid. I'd like to live more off the grid, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. This book is full of support, suggestions, and hope for anyone else who wants to live more in the moment, and with fewer complications. I re-read chapters all the time to remind myself of all the things I can do to put my plans into action and to prioritize my values to reflect my longing to live differently. I highly recommend this book--I think it can truly help you change your life in all kinds of practical and meaningful ways. It has helped me tremendously.

Feather & Bone
Feather & Bone
11 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The album is as good as she is in person, April 9, 2001
This review is from: Feather & Bone (Audio CD)
I'm a fan of Laurel Masse's since her Manhattan Transfer days, and being a fan, I have seen her perform in a wide variety of settings. She is an electrifying and sensitive performer, and rarely does that energy get captured on an album. But this one has it. I've given her albums as gifts. This one has gotten raves from all recipients. She does things with her voice on this album that I haven't heard before--not sure it's even humanly possible to do what she has done! Outstanding and beautiful album.