Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Andrea S. Shiratsu > Reviews

Browse

Andrea S. Shiratsu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrea S. Shiratsu "Suemi" RSS Feed (Sao Paulo, SP Brazil)

The Age of Manipulation: The Con in Confidence, the Sin in Sincere
The Age of Manipulation: The Con in Confidence, the Sin in Sincere
by Wilson Bryan Key
31 used & new from $1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, funny, mind-boggling... A must!, July 8, 2004
I found "The Age of Manipulation" at a local library while I was doing a research about subliminal messages and I wanted to know why they're such a big deal for some people.
I thought I was going to read about some conspiracy theory not to be taken seriously. After all, who needs hidden messages in the media when we have so many lies in our daily news and everything that's called "entertainment" has a strong sexual appeal, most of them are not subtle at all. In other words, who needs subliminal messages? Who needs some dirty message we can't consciously notice when there's so much dirt in the media that we can see with our eyes wide open?
I must admit I thought the book was about some religious/right wing ramblings taking everything in our daily life to "magical" proportions. But I wanted to know more so I read it. I realised Dr Key really has a point. It's not about magical thought or conspiracy theories at all, what he did was just to link Freudian theories, philosophy, science, to things he saw in the media, and that's what's brilliant about his work. He saw what we couldn't see without a "little" help. So if you see something dirty in his books, don't blame him, blame Freud ;-) Or our incounscious defense mechanism that block what we have seen because what we saw could shake our values systems, our view or the world, everything we belive in. Freud again. It's not a book for everyone, if you want to "stay safe" don' t read it. You'll never see the world the same way again after reading it - that could be a blessing or a curse.
In those times when conglomerates that dominate our global economy also dominate everything we call news, culture, art and entertainment, this book is a must! As well as his older books, if you can find them, go for them! But if you get "The Age of Manipulation" that's enough, it's his most comprehensive book, the one that says it all.
We've been had for so long, that's enough! Let's not allow humanhood "devolve" to media zombies.
Somebody please reprint this book before it's too late.