Profile for C Wheat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C Wheat RSS Feed

Can't Stand The Heat (A Recipe for Love)
Can't Stand The Heat (A Recipe for Love)
by Louisa Edwards
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
121 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Tasteless, March 6, 2010
I did not like the heroine of this book. She was judgmental, derisive, and frankly not that intelligent. I couldn't understand why the hero was interested in her (beyond her good looks and hot body). The sex scenes also felt flat because there wasn't much chemistry b/w the hero and heroine. It was basically like pulling teeth just to finish the book, and the only reason I did is because I felt like I had paid for it, so I might as well finish reading it.

The Beautiful Skin Workout: Eight Weeks to the Smoothest, Healthiest Skin of Your Life
by Michelle Copeland
Price: $15.21
110 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sales Pitch, September 20, 2009
This book is basically a sales pitch for the author's own line of skin care products. There is some good information in the book, but it could have been better organized and the author could have given more information about products available at the local drugstore instead of pushing her own products every other page.

Who Will Take This Man? (Avon Historical Romance)
Who Will Take This Man? (Avon Historical Romance)
by Jacquie D'Alessandro
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.99
122 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, March 30, 2008
This book was so poorly executed, I could barely finish it. For starters, the chemistry between the hero and heroine was completely nonexistent. I know the author kept telling us how attractive they found each other, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Next, the plotline was totally transparent. I figured out who the "villain" was and his motivation by the second chapter. The transparency of the plot was made all the more uncomfortable by the author's inept attempts to lead you astray by having other characters engage in suspicious behavior. And, finally, the ridiculous curse itself, which drives the whole plot, is painfully pathetic. The author just makes it worse by having the hero translate incomplete words on the broken tablet containing the curse into incomplete words in English. How on earth could a translator know that a few characters of an incomplete foreign word will translate into an English word beginning with the letters "lo"? That was so completely illogical that it had me gritting my teeth through the end.

Siemens S45 DECT 6.0 Digital Cordless Phone Extension Handset
Siemens S45 DECT 6.0 Digital Cordless Phone Extension Handset
Offered by Always In Touch
Price: $53.59
49 used & new from $52.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre phone not worth the money, January 19, 2008
I purchased this phone because my other cordless phones have static issues related to my router. In this regard, the Siemens S45 DECT 6.0 performs well and I have yet to have router issues. I also like the long range I get with this phone. I've got a two acre yard and can go almost anywhere on my land and still get a decent signal. On the down side, the handset's battery runs down rapidly. In addition, the voice volume changes erratically while you are having a conversation. Like another review noted, the party you are talking with doesn't appear to notice the changes, but they are annoying nonetheless. Also, the phone's clock looses a few minutes every week. I'm constantly having to update the time on it. It makes me angry that I spent more than $100 on a phone with such major flaws. My advice is to avoid this DECT 6.0 and try your luck with another brand.

Lost Discoveries: The Ancient Roots of Modern Science--from the Babylonians to the Maya
by Dick Teresi
Price: $21.96
98 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written and Full of Inaccuracies, October 15, 2007
I bought this book because I liked its premise. However, I was thoroughly disappointed before I could even finish the first chapter. The book is filled with repetitious statements on the one hand and inconsistancies on the other. If you can get over the poor writing style, you will come up against the flagrant factual errors. For example, Teresi denegrates the Greeks for thinking the world is flat. Huh? Most of the greatest Greek philosophers, including Pythagoras and Ptolemy, thought Earth was a sphere. Aristotle even used the evidence that Earth casts a round shadow on the moon during an eclipse to support this idea.

This was just one of many factual errors that popped out at me while I tried to read this poorly executed book. As an archaeologist myself, I couldn't agree more that non-Westerners have made great contributions to science. However, believe it or not, so have Westerners!