Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for Anthony Paul > Reviews

Anthony Paul's Profile

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anthony Paul "AP" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Canidae Dry Dog Food for All Life Stages, Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, and Fish, 30-Pound
Offered by PetGlad
Price: $43.97
3 used & new from $43.97

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! They've changed the formula!, August 14, 2008
I've been a happy Canidae customer for over a year, recommending the product to everyone. However, they have recently changed the formula and my dog has been violently ill. I've talked to most of the suppliers of Canidae in the Chicago area, and they are receiving countless complaints about very sick dogs since the new formula was introduced.
I'm taking my dog off of this food immediately. He's been sensitive to different foods in the past, but never as violently as this.
It's disturbing that they would make this switch without notification. At least I finally know what's wrong with my dog, and that it's been happening to countless others. Beware.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2013 11:33 PM PDT

Anita O'Day - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Anita O'Day - Live at Ronnie Scott's
DVD ~ Anita O'Day
Offered by treasurehunter55
Price: $15.33
13 used & new from $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting 1986 live concert, September 16, 2007
I'm not sure what Gloria was reviewing, but it wasn't this product. This is from 1986, and although Anita wasn't in her prime at age 67, she's still DAMNED good and well-worth hearing. Her performance of "I Can't Get Started" is stellar, and not only rivals her mid 1950's version, it's actually much better. This concert has been previously issued on CD as "Live at Ronnie Scotts" and it's nice to finally have it available on DVD.

Fahrenheit 9/11
Fahrenheit 9/11
DVD ~ John Ashcroft (II)
Offered by SpReAdLoVe
Price: $5.98
492 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars clever editing!, June 1, 2005
This review is from: Fahrenheit 9/11 (DVD)
I can't say it any better than columist, author, filmmaker Christopher Hitchens has already. I quote him here:

"If you leave out absolutely everything that might give your "narrative" a problem and throw in any old rubbish that might support it, and you don't even care that one bit of that rubbish flatly contradicts the next bit, and you give no chance to those who might differ, then you have betrayed your craft. If you flatter and fawn upon your potential audience, I might add, you are patronizing them and insulting them. By the same token, if I write an article and I quote somebody and for space reasons put in an ellipsis like this (...), I swear on my children that I am not leaving out anything that, if quoted in full, would alter the original meaning or its significance. Those who violate this pact with readers or viewers are to be despised. At no point does Michael Moore make the smallest effort to be objective. At no moment does he pass up the chance of a cheap sneer or a jeer. He pitilessly focuses his camera, for minutes after he should have turned it off, on a distraught and bereaved mother whose grief we have already shared. (But then, this is the guy who thought it so clever and amusing to catch Charlton Heston, in Bowling for Columbine, at the onset of his senile dementia.) Such courage."

Full column at [...]

My Ship
My Ship
Price: $16.30
34 used & new from $5.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful mid 1970's Anita..., October 30, 2004
This review is from: My Ship (Audio CD)
Anita O'Day's career had just about disappeared in America by 1963 when she was let go by major recording label Verve records, partly due to changing tastes in music, and also due to her problematic drug addiction. Anita would never again record for a major label and her work for Verve in the 50's stands as her crown achievement. However, by the end of the 60's, she had cleaned herself up and embarked on a comeback, largely in Japan. Throughout the 1970's she recorded many albums, rather haphazardly, on her own label Emily. It is this period of her career that is rather undocumented, often going unnoticed and unheard. This is unfortunate, as many of these recordings are gems. This album, "My Ship", was recorded in Japan in the mid 70's, and is the best of her later work. Backed only by a piano and bass, this is a quiet, reflective recording; her voice wholly expressive and knowledgable. Her reading of "The Man I Love" stands alongside the best work in her career. Throughout the years this album has appeared in LP format under different titles and on different labels. Finally, it is available on CD with the original title and the proper track listings. Best of all, this is not a bootleg, but a proper release from Anita's new label Kayo Stereophonics. In the age of digital bootlegs, its nice to know that the original artist will actually see some profit from this. Anita has just turned 85 years old, has recently moved to NYC and still performs occasionally. She is a living legend and a true survivor.

Them There Eyes
Them There Eyes

1.0 out of 5 stars A cheap re-issue of Mello'Day...., October 30, 2004
This review is from: Them There Eyes (Audio CD)
From the track listing provided here, this album seems to be a bootleg of Mello'Day, which Anita O'Day recorded in 1979 on the GNP Crescendo Label. That album is readily available and is well worth picking up. It provided the listener with a glimpse of Anita's powers later in her career. As with these re-issues/'s very sad to see this happening more and more in the digital age, as the original artists are not receiving any compensation for their work. Ms.O'Day is still very much alive and performing in NYC at the age of 85 years old; a true survivor.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 3:08 PM PST

Cactus Flower
Cactus Flower
DVD ~ Ingrid Bergman
Offered by Definitive Discs & Collectibles
Price: $39.95
49 used & new from $6.54

4.0 out of 5 stars What?!...Ingrid Bergman, Walter Matthau, and Goldie Hawn?!, January 28, 2004
This review is from: Cactus Flower (DVD)
Being an avid movie and music fan, I'm always happy to find hidden gems in either artform that can take me by surprise. I will also say that on most occasions I usually tend to agree with the critics in their attitudes and assertions. However, this was not such a case. When I recently stumbled upon this movie, I had never heard of it; the cast immediately intrigued me, especially Ingrid Bergman (in a 60's comedy?!) I did a little research and was dissappointed to see that most of the reviews of this film were either lukewarm or negative, with most of the complaints being made about the "miscasting of Ingrid Bergman". Interesting enough, Goldie Hawn managed to win an Academy Award for her role...(was 1969 that bad a year for actresses?).
Anyway, I wasn't expecting much when I finally watched it, especially after reading Leonard Maltin's review. However, I quickly found myself thouroughly enjoying the scenarios unfolding. Lighthearted, yes...but very fun. It is very much in line with the Neil Simon plays/film of the era, having also been derived from a Broadway play. I have to say that good old Leonard is wrong on this one, as are many other critcs. The most astonishing error is the claim that Ingrid Bergman was miscast and has no comedic timing. She was a riot to watch in a role like this; I'll say the best moments in the film are hers. To my eyes, Bergman appears to be having a blast with this role and it is quite apparent. At this point in her career, her mid 50's, it is wholly enjoyable to see the still beautiful Bergman having some lighthearted, carefree fun.
I am surprised that the Academy chose to honor Goldie Hawn for her performance. I found her to be a tad too cooky, even for a '60's go-go girl. Walter Matthau, however, plays the role of a sneaky dentist quite well and is fully enjoyable.
Apart from the actors' performances, I did also enjoy the look and feel of the film. While many films from the 60's and 70's appear, to me, to be hopelessly dated in both of these aspects, I found that the "1969" in this film looked great. It was actually very appealing...oranges,browns, flowers, and miniskirts,
All in all, a very satisfying, simple little romp. Look folks, I'm not saying this is a masterpiece by any stretch, but I definately found this worthy seeing. The DVD has no extras to speak of...just a trailer of the film, as well as trailers for two other completely unrelated film (?) However, the transfer of the film to DVD is surprisingly satisfying...colors are rich and vibrant, with minimal artifacts, film dirt/damage. Also, and thankfully, the Widescreen is anamorphic. Of course, there is the obligatory inclusion of the Standard (aka butchered)Version on the flipside of the disk, for those who haven't made the transition to the CORRECT way that is widescreen. ( maybe that was a little unnecessary)
So if you've possibly not seen or heard of this film and are interested, don't listen to the critics on this one. Give it a try, it's a good time.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2015 10:30 AM PDT

DVD ~ James Stewart
Price: $9.54
86 used & new from $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars For all of us...rumpots and crackpots alike!, November 22, 2003
This review is from: Harvey (DVD)
I have been aware of "Harvey" for several years now, but had never actually seen it until I purchased this DVD. Of course with Jimmy Stewart in the lead role, my expectations were understandably high to begin with. I'm pleased to inform that this film doesn't fail to deliver. ****The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name. The play, written by Mary Chase ( who also helped with the screenplay), was written as a gift to help cheer a friend who lost a son in WW2. It translates wonderfully to the medium of film, largely due to the fact that most of the actors who appeared in the Broadway version were re-cast in their roles. Historically, this was not usually done in Hollywood. The film itself is "staged" very much like a play, with many long-shots, and is very engaging. ** Most surprising to me was the comedy. I expected it to be cute and charming, and as humorous as any 53 yr-old film could be. However this film isn't just a cutesy fairytale. I was very surprised and delighed with some of the situations and subject matter...HILARIOUS...some of which might have been considered a little bawdy back in 1950. This material has aged wonderfully. ** The cast is marvelous as well. Although Stewart felt that he portrayed his character a little too cute and dreamy, I found this to be one of his finest performances. He fills the cute and "crazy" character of Elwood P. Dowd with depth, wit, and more than a touch of pathos. And such was always the genious of have the ability to create a character that, no matter what, the world would welcome as a friend. He was a remarkable talent and has left a unfillable void with his passing. **Also remarkable is the performance of Josephine Hull who won the Academy Award for her role. I had never heard of nor seen her in anything before, so this was a real treat. Simply put, she is hilarious throughout the film. All in all, this is a highly enjoyable story that can certainly be enjoyed at face value, and/or can be used as a parable with a greater moral value.******About the DVD****** Although the film doesn't appear to have undergone a complete restoration as such before its transfer to DVD, whatever film elements were used for the transfer seem to be in great shape. For the most part, the picture is crisp with a good greyscale and minimal artifacts. The sound is 2 channel mono (2.0) and is adequate for a film of this age. As far as bonus material, while it would always be nice to have more, there are some fairly interesting production notes, and the cast bios. The best bonus however is a photo montage accompanied by a more recently recorded (1990) introduction by Jimmy Stewart. While it is informative, it's real value lies in just hearing Stewart speak, that familiar drawl...aged, yet still the voice of everyman. A Fabulous buy!

The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
DVD ~ Jackie Gleason
Price: $22.02
37 used & new from $11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Still GREAT after all these years..., November 9, 2003
I'm sure that anyone spending the time reading reviews of this Honeymooners Box Set, doesn't need any reassurance as to the show itself. What more needs to be said about Ralph and the gang? The great 39 episodes never fail to deliver. The Honeymooners remain the prime example of television comedy at it's zenith. The show, while serving as a wonderful time capsule of it's era, is astoundingly fresh, having aged beautifully. *********About the Box Set************As I read other reviews here I realize that there is some confusion regarding this set. It almost makes me believe that there is another box set floating around. Anyway, the one I am referring to was just released November 2003...(not sure why even Amazon has it listed as 2000). I see that others are complaining that the shows are not chronologically placed on the discs, but grouped thematically. While that would be a little annoying to me as well, such is NOT the case with the set I purchased...all are in the order that they were originally aired with the airdates given. Another complaint that I've seen posted is in regards to the quality of the transfers themselves. Once again, I can't imagine that these reviewers are seeing the same Box Set as I am. I am a rather picky viewer and try to stay informed...I've never seen the show look or sound better. Glorious Black and White. (I will attest to the fact that the episode "TV or Not TV" does not look or sound as good as the rest, probably inherant in the source material...not a biggie though). As far as extras...not much here. The Anniversary special included here is a shortened version and isn't all that informative or even necessary for that matter. Yes, it would have been nice to have more extras...interviews, commentary, bio's, etc..., but for the price of this set, you are getting the gold, which is the show itself. I think CBS/Paramount realized that people are becoming wary of large, expensive box sets, and aren't purchasing them. Case in point...Fox went all out in their release of Mary Tyler Moore Season One. Great packaging, loaded with extras, great transfers. Now they are claiming that it didn't sell enough to warrant their releasing of any further seasons. So fans are left hanging with a great Box Set of Season One...with no more to come. Ridiculous! ( Fans of that show have started a petition...if interested go to ******All in all, since the Honeymooners only had one season filmed, it could have been released with more extras, but with a show of this caliber it certainly stands on it's own merit. For under $40, to have the complete Honeymooners crisp on clear on can you complain?
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2015 12:13 PM PST

Nice 'n' Easy
Nice 'n' Easy
Price: $10.99
46 used & new from $2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly one of his most romantic albums..., May 22, 2002
This review is from: Nice 'n' Easy (Audio CD)
An often neglected and severely under-rated Capitol album, Nice n' Easy stands up well in the company of Sinatra's other, more recognized masterpieces. It's not one of his moody concept albums (which are breathless in their own right), but a stunning collection of classic love ballads performed with full attention and care from the master. Nelson Riddle's arrangements shimmer with emotion and beauty, a perfect compliment to THE singer. Simply ignore any or all who say that this album is "no 'Only the Lonely', ' Wee Small Hours', etc." That is was never intended to be like either of those albums nor any other of his concept albums. This is an album for's "concept" is of love. Rather than shelling out bucks for the countless "greates hits" compilations from Capitol or Reprise, including the new "Greatest Love Songs", go for the original albums. If its love songs you are after...they are all here folks. This particular edition is the "24 bit" version released in 2002. While I've read that some are complaining about the remastering, I found the album to sound very warm and rich. However, I have to agree that something doesn't sound quite right with the title track. His voice seems to be too far in the background at points. All in all though, this is a very minor mention, and the rest of the album is exquisite. Another stunning example of American classic music from a truly gifted artist. Don't hesitate for a moment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 9:22 AM PST

All That You Can't Leave Behind
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $8.99
517 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I have to speak up again...., February 19, 2001
I've already written a review for this album and I realize that I can't give it more than 5 stars, but I have to speak up again to at least try to clear up some of the ignorance that is being spewed forth in these reviews. I have followed this stellar album closely, from the first pre-recording news of it to the most recent reviews of it (and by the way, there has not been a single professional music review that has been less than stellar). I'm reading reviews (albeit in the extreme minority) that are trashing this album because it doesn't sound like "the U2 of the past" or the "return to their roots". Well here's the truth. NEVER ONCE has U2 or their record label promised that this album would be a "return to thier roots" as so many of you misinformed reviewers are claiming. They have NEVER promised Joshua Tree II and thank God for that. Did Orson Welles need to remake "Citizen Kane" to prove that he was a great director? For those who are bashing ATYCLB because it doesn't sound like a CD from the Reagan years, realize that you have been misled, maybe by bad media, that U2 was returning to their so called roots, whatever that means. This misconception grew from the fact that U2 was stripping the electronica away, and going for a more "true rock" sound. That's it folks... And what real fan that appreciates U2 for what they are, would want them to cash in on past success? That is completely what U2 will not do. They have ALWAYS changed and grown, sometimes more successful than others, but they must be respected for thier inventiveness and unrest with settling. So for those who were hoping and waiting for "Joshua Part II" along with "Another War", and "An Even More Unforgettable FIre", I hate to be the one to ruin the very prolonged acid trip you are on, but the 80's are over dude. So you can take off the faded jean jacket, unpin and unroll the cuffs on your bleached Levi's, and save your unfounded reviews and comments for some 80's retro chat room. Again, U2 have NEVER promised that this album was going to be a "return" of any sort. For those completely dismayed by this, go get the latest Def Lepard and take comfort...and I just heard that the cast of the "Breakfast Club" is reuniting for a remake!! Bottom line...the boys of U2 have grown up...hint, hint.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5