Profile for Paul Anthony Hagl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Anthony Hagl RSS Feed (Melbourne, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
Ghostbusters / Ghostbusters II (4K-Mastered + Included Digibook) [Blu-ray]
Ghostbusters / Ghostbusters II (4K-Mastered + Included Digibook) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Bill Murray
Offered by Mr Moovie
Price: $16.30
40 used & new from $11.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Digibook Ghostbusters 1 & 2 blu ray, September 19, 2014
I am very happy with the quality of both films. The book is also nice and looks good on the shelf. I didn't have any problems with stickers on the item tearing the cover. The other reviewer must have been unlucky. You do have to remove one disc to get the other out but seriously, is this a problem!! People in third world countries would love to have these issues so let's calm down on that one. This does play on region B, but the digital ultraviolet won't let me download because I'm in Australia. Apparently it's the wrong territory! I think things like this only encourage illegal downloading. It makes as much sense as the silly regions A,B & C. But thank you Sony for making the discs region free anyway.
Rather than letting this digital offer go to waste, the first person to get this far into my review can go to www.sonypictures.com/uvredeem and type in 3TQ4 2XTA Y284 VSH5. It's 3 easy steps, unless you don't get it first. Then it's 3 disapointing steps. This blu ray is recommended from down under. Have a nice day.

Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (Limited Edition)
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (Limited Edition)
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
Offered by N P Sales
Price: $99.95
46 used & new from $27.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Be smart about this, June 26, 2006
I've just spent 45 minutes here reading some of the most angry reviews ever. I understand the point of view of this being a bit of a marketing scam from Lucas and we all know people are going to buy these films again. I will take my three 2004 editions from the box and replace them with these new ones so I have these three plus that extra disc and sell the 2004 ones on ebay. You'll be surprised how many people don't care about owing the originals. A large silent group out there prefer the special editions, especially younger fans. Then I'll have the set that should have been released in the first place. As for the non-anamorphic situation, I don't think this is a major tragedy. I'm sure the quality will be good enough for the zoom function. Many non-anamorphic dvd's I own are. So you might miss a couple of centimeters on the sides, we all went 20 years with 50% of it on video. The stereo 2.0 is not a huge problem. Just watch it with headphones! You could say that fixing these originals up too much would be defeating the purpose of releasing the original films. If you want the new technology, watch disc one. So do like I do and enjoy your life.

Strangers on a Train (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Strangers on a Train (Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Farley Granger
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $13.06
21 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars I will be strong.....maybe (fingers crossed), June 29, 2004
First I will say this is a classic film that doesn't contain one wasted minute. It's always been one of my favorites and have always shown it to friends as an introduction to these films due to their lack of Hitchcock experience. But what I will say here and now is I WILL NOT BUY THIS SPECIAL EDITION!!! I have the original release and it has served me well these past years. I could have lived my whole life without the knowledge of a special edition with all sorts of those goodies and I would have been fine... It will probably have commentary, interviews, ohh that sounds enchanting...I DON"T CARE. I MUST be strong and resist the temptation of re-buying it. I know I've made this pledge on several hundred occasions with... oh you know, Planet of the apes, Casablanca, Blazing Saddles etc,etc. Yes I caved on those countless occasions but NOT THIS TIME!! But for anyone who doesn't own this dvd at all, I would recommend you do. But don't talk to me about it because I'm perfectly happy with my one disc copy OK!! Warner brothers among others have been pulling these scams for years with these re-issues, and you know who the victoms are. Yes... Yes.. that would be me. But not this time because my family have received enough free bare bones dvd's from me and it ends today. Forget it Amazon! No preorders from this sucker... HA HA!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I want More Moore, June 24, 2004
As an Australian I don't know what it's like to live in America under the Bush administration. I can't really judge whether he's a good president to the average citizen, so I won't. But what I find curious is when people say this film is full of lies and half truths (what is a half truth anyway!). I have discovered 34 negative books on George W. Bush and I haven't finished looking. I've read about 5 and they all say the same things this film film says. Has any other president been exposed to this degree? How can this film be dishonest when so many intelligent authors have confirmed the information. Are they all wrong? Richard A. Clark, John W. Dean etc etc.. Go and look them up because they all say the same thing but Moore does it with a bit of humour. There may be less positive books on Bush Jr due to the lack of source material.
I do regret that this type of dishonest leadership is alive and well in my own Prime Minister who is apparently residing in Dubya's pocket.

The Marx Brothers Collection (A Night at The Opera/A Day at The Races/A Night in Casablanca/Room Service/At the Circus/Go West/The Big Store)
DVD ~ Marx Brothers
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $15.01
21 used & new from $11.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to Harp or grouch about, May 11, 2004
From reading these reviews I'm a bit perplexed by viewers complaining that some of the Paramount ones aren't in this box set. Paramount and MGM were and still are different companies. You know, Paramount is the one with the mountain and MGM had that lion roaring. I know it's confusing and to make matters more so, Warners owns these MGM titles. Wow I'm getting a head spin!! But sarcasm aside... this box set is terrific. The transfers are all sweeeet. I'm one of those freaks that doesn't like old films cleaned up tooo much because it takes a little old world charm from the piece. I know I'm risking a retaliation of dvd purists angrily not finding this review helpful but the odd scratch here and there doesn't faze me.
The features are interesting especially the funny Robert Benchley short film about sleeping. I'm curious to see more of this comedian. Leonard Maltin's commentary is informative although he sounds like his got his mouth too close to the microphone. Turning the sound down a little helps unless you want the neighbours involved. I would also like to be the one to defend "The Big Store". Although it has some lame songs, (they can easily be skipped) I still found it funny. The over acting woman recieving a home made record from Tony Martin is a huge unintentional laugh for me. Chico and Harpo on piano is charming and the harp sequence is easily the best of all the films. Imaginative and funny. Seeing the stereo typed African-Americans picking cotten during the "sing while you sell" song almost made me regurgitate my dinner but that was the 40's for you. The train sequence at the end of "Go West" also a highlight of the later MGM films. To quote Groucho, it is the best gag in the picture. But "Opera", "Races" and "Casablanca" are easily the best. Thank you to Warners for this set. They were long awaited to me.

Roar
Roar
DVD ~ Tippi Hedren
10 used & new from $59.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Dvd has most of the film, April 19, 2004
This review is from: Roar (DVD)
"Roar" is a film I got a lot of enjoyment out of as a child and watching it as an adult was as entertaining as ever. What catches my attention this time round is the danger that the cast were putting themselves in working with these animals. Any film that attempts this type of drama should certainly be remembered a bit more than "Roar" has.
Since details on this dvd are so difficult to find on the web, I'd like to tell you what "Roar" has. First of all, the widescreen is good in that it shows the film as it should be viewed but it's not 16:9 for widescreen tv's. However the picture is quite strong anyway for zoom.
The short interviews are decent enough but one must wonder that there's got to be a great documentary somewhere on this 11 years of film making. Probably more engaging than the film itself.
The sound is not 5.1 but stereo surround as it was originally. Now I could be wrong here but I'm sure this film is cut. Within the first 15 minutes I'm sure there was a scene with Tippi Hedren and her kids discussing how they gave the husband/father the wrong arrival time and another bit with the two sons having an argument which lead to a fight. One of the sons trys karate on his brother. These two scenes are missing from my dvd. On top of that I'm sure at 84 minutes this dvd goes for is way too short from what I remember of seeing this film on video. Without that first scene the film doesn't make sense. We don't know my Noel Marshall thinks his family arrives later that night.
If I'm totally delusional here please correct me. It's not a major disapointment. I've had worse and I'll get over it quick enough. "Roar" is a definitely worth a look.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2012 8:57 PM PDT

Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
by Sean Hannity
637 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A passionate man on the wrong road, February 28, 2004
I thought there should be a difference of opinion here so I guess I'll do it. Yes I read this and yes I've seen this man on his show. What Hannity fails to comprehend is that although it's good that Hussein is no longer running Iraq, this has done nothing to further the war on terrorism. Why can't he and these other reviewers get it into their thick right winged heads that Hussein was NO threat to the people of the USA AND was not responsible for 9/11 or any terrorist attack on your soil.
If America stopped bombing other countries killing civilians and getting involved in everyone else's affairs for their own financial gain, then your goverment wouldn't need to spend so much money on defense and could put it towards stopping poverty and all your other countless social disasters.
Hannity's view on foreign policy is appalling and will not make America safer and will continue to create more terrorist and more hatred. Wake up you war mongers, the rest of the civilised world is laughing.

Spider-Man (Widescreen Special Edition)
Spider-Man (Widescreen Special Edition)
DVD ~ Tobey Maguire
Price: $4.99
1002 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good but not great, August 18, 2002
I've noticed the bulk of these reviews are very positive. Now I'm not reviewing the dvd because I haven't got it. I want to talk about the film itself. First let me say I love superhero movies and I did enjoy Spiderman to some degree. BUT!!! There are a few reasons why this film could have been better. Point one - Movies these days don't seem to unravel at a good pace. The narrative seemed rushed, like the film makers were making this for a generation of people who need action all the time or else they'll lose interest. Parker got bitten by the spider and was climbing buildings 5 minutes later. Point two - There is some pretty corny dialogue in this. How did Toby Macguire say some of these lines without bursting into laughter. I refer to the banter between him and Dunst, involving how beautiful he thinks she is and BLAAAHHHH!!! Point three - The Green Goblin guy looked really fake. CGI can either be good or really bad. In this case it stank. The hollywood film industry is becoming like fast food. Quick, processed and leaves you feeling a bit empty. But I'm gonna leave this review on a good note. Macguire was well casted, DaFoe was hilarious, Dunst is georgeous and there's always a chance the sequel might be an improvement. Thank you, I'm done.

The 39 Steps (The Criterion Collection)
The 39 Steps (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Peggy Ashcroft
8 used & new from $4.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for the Criterion, August 18, 2002
Five stars in all might make me sound like an easy-to-please viewer, but I don't see how this DVD could be better. Criterion never disappoints, so if you're buying this film it's worth paying extra for this one. I believe the transfer is way superior and the extras go on longer than an awards night.
The documentary focuses on Hitchcock's British films, which aren't as widely seen these days and also a complete radio broadcast from 1937. Talk about diggin' up some material! I also enjoyed the commentary and that press book stuff. I'm not even sure I've seen it all. Actually, I'm still not sure what The 39 Steps really is exactly, but who cares? I pity people who don't watch certain movies because they're old and black & white. The reason people should see this film is because no one can make a film like this anymore. This is a great film, don't miss it.

Airplane!
Airplane!
DVD ~ Robert Hays
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $8.57
137 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars In all seriousness, it's funny, August 18, 2002
This review is from: Airplane! (DVD)
One of the funniest movies ever? Of course. I've never seen it look so good. Since I'm use to crummy TV versions that didn't include the jive talkers' subtitles, I was far from disappointed with this DVD. The 5.1 is excellent for the film's age and the commentary is interesting; although the film makers do spend most of the time laughing at their own jokes (fair enough).They also make mention of some deleted scenes, SO WHERE ARE THEY ON THIS DVD!!! ..., this is still a must for the collection. I wonder if that guy's still in the cab; I guess we'll never know.

Page: 1 | 2