Profile for Patricia Leppla > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 209

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Patricia Leppla RSS Feed (Tucosn, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ClosetMaid Pantry Cabinet, White
ClosetMaid Pantry Cabinet, White
Offered by Pro-Outlet
Price: $144.39
2 used & new from $118.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the cost, January 24, 2013
As a teacher storage cupboards are a lifesaver! While this has helped declutter my floors and organize my office a bit the cost of $90 was not worth the buy. The cupboard is short, the doors do not close flush with the cupboard and it wobbles. This was an impulse buy as I got tired of looking around for another cupboard. I suggest you continue to look for a cupboard that is of better quality.

Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Book 3)
Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Book 3)
by John Vornholt
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
201 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews by Patricia's Particularity, September 16, 2012
It is the end of the summer. For everyone, except Willow, this means the boredom and hum drum of school. Lucky for them they can end the summer with excitement as a new carnival is in town. However, they find that this particular Carnival might just be a bit too much excitement for them. Right away Buffy notices that not only is the Carnival strange but so are the carny folk who run it. However, not able to put her finger on it she tends to focus more on the fact that two carny folk take special interest in Willow and Xander... leaving Buffy boyfriend & summer-romance-less. But Buffy finds she's able to keep her mind a bit busy when she finds coyotes roaming the streets attacking innocent dogs! This is very peculiar behavior for coyote indeed, at least according to Giles. So what is the connection between the Carnival and the Coyotes...?

While this installment was not long, more towards the length of fanfiction, it was still a very fun read. It was nice to read something that was not part of the tv series, but something a bit different outside of it. One aspect that I found a bit disappointing was the amount of build up only to end as quickly as it did (literally within a few pages, if that). I do wish that the author spent more time on the ending, keeping the buildup, but if I had to choose I would have chosen a much longer ending than the build up. I also wish the author had included more of Giles in this installment. While he is present, and actually pretty vital to Buffy's success (as she always is successful), I would have loved to have read an deeper exploration into his role.

While the overall novel was not deep or meaningful in many ways, it did show the human qualities that Buffy posses - which I think is easy for us to forget about as she is always doing super human action moves and saving the world A LOT. The human quality of jealousy and loneliness was very prominent in this installment. Buffy finds herself jealous of the attention that Xander and Willow receive from the carny folks. She also finds herself jealous that she cannot have fun just like every other normal teenager. This in turn ties directly into the fearful quality of loneliness. We all know Buffy has a pretty lonely life, despite the Scooby Gang's presence. She knows she can never have a normal life, let a lone a normal romantic relationship. Highlighting this aspect, I think, is what makes this show relateable to many people who feel the same qualities of jealousy and loneliness.

Overall this was a fun fast paced novel with quite a bit of butt-kicking, by yours truly the Slayer, and quick wit, the staple of the ENTIRE Buffy series. I recommend this read for any and all Buffy fans.

Predators and Prey (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Vol. 5)
Predators and Prey (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Vol. 5)
by Jim Krueger
Price: $12.90
129 used & new from $1.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviews by Patricia's Particularity, September 3, 2012
So much happens in this installment. I actually found this installment to be quite fun to read! I'll try to not bore you with the many details and events...

Harmony, Cordelia's old laky now turned vampire, is caught feeding from a man outside of a nightclub. Oddly enough this creates a buzz around her, boosting her in popularity (what she has always wanted right?) and now has her own reality television show - and she is not hiding her vampire ways. In fact she is flaunting them. Upon meeting a potential slayer, Soledad, (who happen to have gained her powers that night upon turning the right age of 16) and invites her to a party she is throwing later that night for her reality television show. At the party, however, Soledad, unsuccessfully attempts to attack Harmony causing a huge boost in her tv ratings. More importantly, the video of the party is being pushed to spread the message that all Slayers are evil!

Meanwhile, Satsu (another slayer) and Kennedy (Willow's maybe-ex girlfriend) work out some issues while tracking a monster (that they successfully defeat, of course). Satsu, in love with Buffy, feels that Kennedy is checking upon her, and more specifically that Kennedy was chosen because she is a lesbian (like Satsu). During this time they find a Vampire-Cat Toy Doll, the Vampy Cat Play Friend. This little cute, while a bit freaky, doll comes alive later that night and climbs down Satsu's throat while she is sleeping, waking up the next morning acting very strange.... Soon they learn that a large shipment was sent to Buffy's secret location!!

Back at the Scooby Gang headquarters, Buffy has to deal with Simone Doffler, a rougue slayer who can't stop causing trouble. This time Simone is robbing stores and basically being a terror. Andrew and Buffy leave to find Simone and to try to stop her. And if this was not enough plot for you, we still have Giles and Faith. I am completely enamored by the Giles and Faith plot line. I have always been a huge fan of Giles, and of course Faith (just Buffy more), but in the graphic novel series I am finding myself becoming more of a fan of Faith than Buffy (the tv and books are another story though). Faith has really grown as a character in these past few installments - more than a graphic novel character would, you would think. In this plot line an old Watcher returns: Duncan Fillworthe, who has a sinister game going on that lures Slayers into a so-called-Sanctuary, only to meet a doomed end.

While there was a lot that was going on in this installment it was fun and pack full of action and adventure - actually just the right mixture. There were a few funny bits in this installment. In particular, when Buffy and Andrew leave to find Simone they do it old school - via road trip. While Andrew cannot shut up the entire time Buffy is board out of her mind, that is until he brings up Daniel Craig and then Buffy perks up.

The only real negative thing I could say about this installment is the art work (beyond the installment covers). For some reason most of the art work was just not doing it for me. For example, take a look at Buffy and Andrew in the car... that does not look like either of them. I know graphic novels are a bit different, but seriously, Buffy looks more like a guy than a girl. Right?

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, Book 2)
The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, Book 2)
by Pittacus Lore
Price: $6.51
120 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews by Patricia's Particularity, August 25, 2012
Told in the views of John and Marina, you are taken on a roller coaster of adventure and action! Let me just say this was soooo much better than I Am Number Four - it was so good, that I am actually going to continue this series, where as if I had just stopped at I Am Number Four, I probably would never have picked up another installment. I am still frustrated by John and his lack of character development. I found myself loving Marina's story line and character much more.

Marina, number seven of the Loric Garde, is living in Spain at an convent with her CÍpan, Adelina. While she is trying to stay hidden from the Mogadorians, who are still out to kill all the Loric Garde, she is also waiting for her legacies to develop, upon which she plans to find John Smith and fight along side of him. While her CÍpan tries to ignore that they are even Loric in any way, pretending to be as human as possible, Marina meets a few interesting characters and learns a few interesting things about herself. At the same time John Smith, Sam Goode, Bernie Kosar and Six are on the run from the law and for their lives. During which time, they as well, learn some rather interesting things about themselves and each other, including a little love triangle.....

While I found John's, Sam's, Bernie's and Six's story line interesting (I really enjoy Six's, and wish there was more revealed about her), I wasn't able to get into it as much as Marina. Having fallen in love with John's CÍpan, Henri, in I Am Number Four (he was an amazing character!), I was amazed at Marina's CÍpan and her lack of caring and awareness of their reality of being Loric. I literally was screaming at her in the car while listening to this audiobook. However, this makes Marina that much stronger of a character. I adored her relationship with Ella.

While I started with this series as a quasi-fan, after listening to this audiobook I would say I'm hooked now. Again if I had picked up this one I probably never would have thought about the next installment. I recommend this series for those that like action, mystery (just not the Sherlock kind), real characters with fantastical abilities, and overall fun.

The Rich Girl (Fear Street, No. 44)
The Rich Girl (Fear Street, No. 44)
Price: $8.06
149 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Reviews by Patricia's Particularity, August 23, 2012
The premise of The Rich Girl is much better than the actual book. I love R.L. Stine and his Fear Street books, as you know, but this was not his best - at least in my opinion. It was over dramatic to the point of annoying actually. The way the plot moved along was completely unrealistic to me. Emma and Sydney find a duffle bag full of money. While Emma wants to keep the money, Sydney is hesitant but finally gives in and agrees to keep it, on one condition: they must bury it and not spend any of the money for two weeks on the chance that someone will come looking for it. After being pressured by her boyfriend to tell him what was wrong, Sydney tells Jason. But things start to happen.... things that seem to have only one explanation. Emma is pushed down the stairs at school, and her car's break lines are cut. For Emma the only explanation is that Jason is trying to kill her for the money. Then weird things start to happen to Sydney as well...

Again, for me, the dramatics of this book were not believable - I'm not saying that any Fear Street book is "believable" (that is why I love them!) but I just could not connect with this one. I figured out what was going on rather early, and I am sure that played a part in my opinion as well. The one thing I will say I liked about this book is what ends up happening to Sydney - now I know this probably sounds mean, but when you read the book this part of the plot gives it a real highlight.

Overall I was a bit disappointed in this installment but I will not be deterred from my love of Fear Street and R.L. Stine. You can't win them all!

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers)
Before I Wake (Soul Screamers)
by Rachel Vincent
Price: $7.81
80 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews by Patricia's Particularity, August 15, 2012
**SPOILER ALERT**

This series just keeps getting better and better. Sad thing... there is only one more installment.

Kaylee is trying to live as normal of a life as possible for being a dead person who can literally make herself 'invisible'. How do you do that? Well, you get ready for school in the morning, go to school, hang out with your friends and even your Frost-addicted ex-boyfriend and his new girl and your new dead Reaper boyfriend (who happens to be your ex's brother). Another way, to work. Kaylee's new job is reclaiming lost souls. To say Kaylee's life is no longer normal is an understatement. Kaylee finds herself caught up in the middle, once again, trying to save everyone's life from an old foe that has returned. However, this old foe is the greatest one yet, forcing Kayle to make some hard decisions.

I can never talk enough about this series. I don't know where Rachel Vincent gets her ideas from but they are one of a kind. It has been amazing to watch Kaylee grow throughout the series. She is so much more stronger than she was in the first book and so much more wiser. This especially made it hard for me to read her emotions and accept that she wasn't sharing them with anyone but Todd - I kept yelling at her to share her feelings with her family and friends. But Kaylee wouldn't be Kaylee without her self-sacrificing qualities.

And of course I love the romantic component. Vincent's decision to have Kaylee and Todd together has been one of my favourite. The two characters compliment each other extremely well. For Todd, Kaylee balances him out and for Kaylee, Todd makes her more aware of herself in a good way and gives her confidence she never had before. While I will always like Nash, I feel like he held her back in a way - not knowingly, but just enough that it was detrimental to Kaylee and her future. I believe that Nash and Sabine are a much better fit for each other (and I am not talking about his Frost addiction complimenting her 'bad-girl' ways).

Vincent has also made sure to keep her secondary characters in the forefront. None of them have really fallen to the sidelines. Especially in this installment, each one plays a very critical role in their current fight. Even Kaylee's annoying selfish cousin is given the chance to step up and prove her part. All of these little things really make this one of the best series I have ever read. The character and plot development are so intertwined together it is hard to imagine this series ever ending.

Vincent shows no fear in her writing. Not only does she create gruesome scenes in the Netherworld (which I do wish there was more of in this installment, but I am expecting this to be an overriding factor in the last book), but she also puts her characters is some of the most difficult situations. If you've read this installment you will know which part of the book I am talking about....

Okay so enough gushing. I need to stop now or I literally can go on forever. Just read the series, read the book and you'll be there right with me. I PROMISE!

Fancy Nancy and the Fabulous Fashion Boutique
Fancy Nancy and the Fabulous Fashion Boutique
by Jane O'Connor
Price: $13.55
160 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews by Patricia's Particularity, August 14, 2012
It is Nancy's sister's birthday and she wants to have a Pirate Themed Birthday Party. How fun! While shopping for a birthday gift Nancy cannot decide what to get for her sister. However, she finds a fan that she must have for herself! To help raise money so she can buy this fancy fan, Nancy decides to sell some of her fancy cloths and things, creating a Fashion Boutique! Nancy's sister points out a necklace that she really likes and wants, however, Nancy needs money so she sells it to one of her friends. Having second thoughts, Nancy asks her friend to sell back the necklace so she can give it to her sister for her birthday. However, Nancy looses the money she gained for her fan, but gains the necklace for her sister just in time for her Pirate Birthday Party.

As with all Fancy Nancy books there is always an underlying, not so hidden, message - which is what I love about this series. You don't have to read between the lines to figure out what the author wants you to know. Obviously in this case O'Connor is sharing the lessons of selflessness and love. Fancy 'sacrifices' something she really wants to make sure that her sister has a fantastic birthday gift. Even though Nancy is not able to get her fan she finds happiness and fulfillment in her sister's happiness.

Out of all the Fancy Nancy books I believe that this one can be relateable to most children. The message of this installment can even cross over with boys - teaching them to be more selfless and caring for their family and friends.

Shackled
Shackled
by Angela Carling
Price: $10.76
17 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Review by Patricia's Particularity, August 2, 2012
This review is from: Shackled (Paperback)
While I have not had the chance, yet, I was dying to read her first novel Unbreakable Love (the cover is hot!). So imagine how thrilled I was when Angela Carling asked me review her new book Shackled. On the first day of her new school, Lucy notices Ryan... and he notices her. Quickly they become inseparable. Lucy notices little things about Ryan almost immediately that make her a little uneasy. Lucy also starts to notice Ryan's best friend, Mason.

I was impressed by how Angela Carling tackled such a sensitive topic. You experience Lucy's emotions with her, including her struggles when she starts to notice Ryan's behavior changing. This is my favorite aspect of this novel. In such novels you more than often feel for the character but you do not always feel what they feel, as if you are that character. I also loved how she developed Lucy's relationship with Mason. If only all those in Lucy's situation had a Mason.

I found the writing to be comfortable. There were times that that events moved a bit to quickly for me, without a smooth transition. However, I was not left wanting in plot or character development. Being obsessed with YA Saves books this book was perfect. At first Lucy is not given much character development, and even her relationship with Ryan starts a bit to quickly for me, but as the book continues her development as a character and in her relationships are rounded out wonderfully. For those who want to become the main character, feel her pain and emotions, this is the book for you.

Goosebumps #56: The Curse of Camp Cold Lake
Goosebumps #56: The Curse of Camp Cold Lake
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.28
271 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Review by Patricia's Particularity, August 2, 2012
Even before Sarah arrives at Camp Cold Lake she has a bad attitude about Camp, an attitude that doesn't get better once she arrives. Right away she doesn't make the best of impressions with her bunk-mates after demanding to switch bunks and spilling a girl's asthma medicine (of which she wanted to keep secret from everyone). Later that night her bunk-bates don't let up on her, playing pranks on her in front of the whole camp, more than one. After trying to get the girls back with her own prank, Sarah makes her 'situation' at camp even worse. When it is time to go swimming, no one will be Sarah's buddy, a rule that MUST be abided by. No one wants to be her friend. How is Sarah going to fix this?

Sarah devices a plan to accidentally drown. Her goal: to get everyone to feel sorry for her and make them her friends. Her plan works all to well, discovering a Ghost that haunts Camp Cold Lake, a Ghost that wants to be Sarah's buddy and friend.... FOREVER.

While this is not one of my favorite Goosebumps books it does shed some light on real camp 'issues'. One of those being cattiness and downright meanness amongst the campers, mainly through pranks and words. But Goosebumps isn't about reality... its about the fun of being scared by the Paranormal. The cover alone tells you that you should be scared to learn the Curse of Camp Cold Lake. While I was not surprised about the Curse I was once again surprised by the ending. Maybe R.L. Stine does this on purpose but either way its great when he does - just when you think you know what is going to happen, and even feel a little let down, you are given a curve. One of the many aspects that makes R.L. Stine's books classics.

All-Night Party (Fear Street, No. 43)
All-Night Party (Fear Street, No. 43)
Edition: Library Binding
Price: $14.36
17 used & new from $9.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Review by Patricia's Particularity, August 2, 2012
Gretchen has only lived in Shadyside for six months, and already she has made quite a few friends and is dating one of the hottest guys at school. It is one of her friend's birthday, Cindy's and they have planned a literal all-night party to celebrate. After 'kidnapping' Cindy and taking her Fear Island these group of friends plan to have the best times of their lives. On their way to the island they learn a killer has escaped is on the loose, but they will not let this slow them down in their party goals. But right away things start to get weird and the 'killer' party really begins. When one the Birthday girl's body is discovered the search for the real killer is underfoot, but that is if they can discover who the killer is before the killer finds them first.

At first when I started to read this I couldn't help but think of I Know What You Did Last Summer, which I loved so I was thrilled to read this book. Our main character, Gretchen, is very keen and aware - particularly aware of Jackson who keeps staring at her and giving her the creeps. Is he the killer? Or is it Marco, her boyfriend that she can't wait to get away from? Or is it one of the girls? You think you know and then a new clue is found and you are not so sure anymore...

I loved being on my toes the entire time. I really had it in my head who the killer was only to discover I was wrong. Love that! That is one thing that R.L. Stine always gives you, a surprise ending. He never lets you down in this sense. It is odd however, growing up on Fear Street books, that the Fear StreetS are paranormal but rereading the 'normal' Fear Street I have not come across any that are paranormal based. In a way this makes them that much more scarier - the real fear is reality. A must read for anyone who loves R.L. Stines or for those in the mood for a good mystery thriller that is also a quick read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20