Profile for Coolkayaker > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 554

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Coolkayaker "ck1" RSS Feed (Fox Valley, Illinois USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Live In Philadelphia 1990
Live In Philadelphia 1990
Offered by JETWORLD DISTRIBUTION
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $13.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Online video, July 22, 2014
This entire show is available on your favorite online free video channel, two versions. It has, as stated by the other reviewer, abysmal acoustics. As this is not an official Aerosmith CD, likely it was pirated off that concert. I do not own it, gave it the same rating as Mr. Richards so as not to affect the rating on Amazon, and wished only to convey this information so that you, my fellow Aerosmith buff, might find out for yourself if you would wish to buy this CD.

Foxnovo®1M 3.5mm Male to Female Stereo Headphone Audio Extension Cable Cord with Volume Control (Black)
Offered by ubestsky
Price: $6.50
2 used & new from $6.50

4.0 out of 5 stars When your tablet, phone or laptop is too loud....use this!, July 18, 2014
Solves a major issue that I experienced with my iPad, iPod Classic and my Macbook: even at the lowest setting, the volume was too loud. I have worked to try and lower the volume by using difference earphones, blocking the output speaker with tape, and researching online (I am well aware of the 1/4 square micro-volume adjustment on Macbooks using shift-option; for those that do not, search it and it might solve your issue). Nothing worked well for me. Still, too loud and no way to adjust down. I work in a quiet environment, usually a public library quiet room, and need low-volume sound.

This cord solved my issue. I can now turn the volume squares up about half way on the MacBook or iPad or iPod, and then use the volume on the cable to adjust from completely off (even though the squares are still on half, about 5-6 squares) to barely audible, to loud. It's a Godsend as, with the rotary dial, I have no issues setting it just right. The in-line volume control on Apple earbuds, for instance, still control the squares on the volume bar, so no help at all. This volume control work independently of the control built into the device (e.g. iPad) itself.

Some have commented on these types of in-line controls that the sound quality is compromised. I would not know as I listen to it so softly that there is no noted compromise. It seems to make, even when I turn it up, no difference in sound quality at all.

The point dedication is for the build of this device. It is extremely thin and frail looking, looks like it could be manufactured for about a dollar, and only time will tell if it lasts. I will update if it breaks or crackles and loosens. For now, I appreciate the 3 foot extension on the Apple Earbuds, and I use this daily with success. An example of a cable product that is extremely well made, although it lacks a volume control is this:
BlueRigger 3.5mm Male to Female Stereo Audio Cable (6 Feet)
This is a cable that is strong, well made, effective, and is preferred if simple extension (no volume control) is desired. I like it very much, the BlueRigger 6 footer.

All in all, this product fixed my issue of volume too loud on devices.

Mivizu Water Resistant Nylon Sleeve Case for Kindle Fire HD/HDx, iPad Mini 1/2, Nexus 7 FHD
Offered by MiniSuit
Price: $12.95
2 used & new from $12.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for iPad Mini Retina Display, July 13, 2014
This does not fit an iPad Mini Retina Display as advertised. It will barely fit the iPad Mini without any case at all--barely to me is not fitting. Barely means I have to open the zipper all the way up and cram the iPad Mini into place more than I would like to; it should slide in with ease, in my opinion. If there is even the simplest case on your iPad Mini, forget it, it will not fit. Plus, once jammed into this case, any pressure on the outside of it, because it is so darned tight on the device, will go straight on through to the iPad Mini Home button and turn the Mini on inside the case (I do not have a Smart Cover and don;t know if that would fit in this case). If one is willing to work to get the naked iPad Mini in the case every time they use it, please know that there is absolutely no room for power cords or cell phone in the outer pocket like on the photos. So, the description is dead wrong. Thank you.

As one can see from other reviews, Amazon took iPad Mini off the title a year ago, and have no decidef to add it back. Well, they are wrong and this item is being shipped back for a return.

Pieces of Eight
Pieces of Eight
Price: $7.27
107 used & new from $0.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Love hate, July 11, 2014
This review is from: Pieces of Eight (Audio CD)
What can anyone say, sticks had two good albums, the grand illusion and this one. This album is harder rocking than the other one, and it freaked me out when I was in school and saw the old when he faces on the cover. I thought they had sold out, making an album for people like my mother. It was really scary. Then I listen to the album and I saw that it wasn't all mushy and romantic like their other album. Mind you, this was before they turned really lousy with songs like Mr. roboto & babe.

If you like repetitive hard rocking albums, the scary women on the cover, you're going to love this album. If you like Genuine rock 'n roll, blues-based, that stands the test of time and features hot chicks on the cover, you going to hate this album.

Adult Kiss Ace Frehley Spaceman Costume Deluxe Mask
Adult Kiss Ace Frehley Spaceman Costume Deluxe Mask
Offered by BlockBusterCostumes
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $35.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The real Ace has bangs. This mask looks like Michael Myers., July 11, 2014
The real Ace has bangs.

Leaves of Grass
Leaves of Grass
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this the same man?, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Leaves of Grass (Kindle Edition)
Who is this man "Walt Whitman" of whom you all speak? Is he the venerated American chocolatier, famous for his sampler?

Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer
Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer
Price: $17.04 - $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about thickness when it comes to cargo pants., June 11, 2014
I like to put belongings in my cargo pants pocket, so my EDC bag has to fit the pocket and be thin. I have EDC, Fatty Maxped bags, but they are too wide and too thick. I have watched many online videos, and no one emphasizes the thickness factor. I have found that even two ball-point pens in a small pocket, if they are placed to hit upon one another when this is closed (i.e. one on one side, the other on the other, but when closed, they hit) is too thick for a comfortable pocket carry.

These Mini Pockets are perfect for pens, flash drive, miniscrew driver sets, ruler, nail clippers, mini Bic lighter, etc. in cargo pants pockets if one keeps the items in them orderly, and it takes a some effort to make sure than each item nests in between other items on the other side of this pocket when it is closed. It's important to note that the EDC Maxped and the Fatty Maxped organizers are slightly too wide for my cargo pockets,too. They slip in with effort only, and truly do not feel good in there. I considered the Micro Pocket Organizer, but that one seems a tad too small, short, has a single zipper and doesn't hold enough, I think (but I do not own that one). The Mini is the ideal width for standard cargo pants pockets.

So, all those online videos one sees about how much stuff they can jam into this bag don;t pertain to me...I can't jam 2-3 layers of overlapping gear into this and comfortably place it in the side lower pockets of my cargo pants. The solution? Buy TWO of these Minis. With two, I can have one layer of items in each, put one in each thigh pocket of my cargo pants to distribute the weight, and maintain a superb thickness for carrying. I can even carry one in each rear pocket, like a thick wallet, if I wanted to (but I can't sit down).

Although some may balk at buying two at around eighteen bucks apiece, one single Fatty Maxped alone costs only about nine dollars less than two of these and, in my opinion, gives a person much fewer options for carrying in pockets, glove compartments, truck consoles or anyplace. To me, it's well worth the nine bucks difference or so for the comfort, flexibility and storage of this daily carry item.

How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $11.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Hold on, hold on. Do you need this book?, June 5, 2014
Mr. Frey has other books on writing, but I have only read this one.

It does cover the basics of thriller writing: the "ticking clock", the first or third person narration being the most effective points of view, the need to start with a "bang", the three-act format, "the McGuffin", hero, protagonist, etc. If these terms are familiar to you, particularly as they are part of every book on writing, then you will not need this book.

I will give Mr. Frey a star or so for his voice, which is clear and friendly, sometimes humorous, and easy to read. This book's prose is smoothly written and easy to follow and the chapter layout is clear and appropriate.

But, what does this book provide that is unique to the budding thriller writer? Examples. And examples. And even more examples. James Frey speaks of any concept--for instance heroes and villains--and, literally, gives twenty examples of movies and books with heroes and villains. It's mind-numbing, and almost comes off as "filler" to pad out a book as it goers on for chapter after chapter. One or two examples of each concept would be sufficient. And, he doesn't even stop there: then he asks us, the readers, to follow along as he plots out his own "sample" thriller books. This is fair enough and potentially useful, but he has about five personal examples of sample plots going throughout the entire book! He reiterates each of them in every single chapter. It's the instructional equivalent of hitting the students on the head with a hardcover edition of Infinite Jest when the students are pleading that they already understand the concept. It's downright painful.

Finally, Mr. Frey's book shows two annoying traits, both off-putting and unnecessary, and both strident enough to prevent me from ever buying another book by James N. Frey. The first is his constant, chapter-after-chapter justification that the high-brow snobs, such as those that write reviews for The New York Times Book Reviews, see genre, "high concept" fiction as the low-end of the craft. Frey goes on, then, to brow-beat literary fiction at every turn available to him. Reading between the lines, Frey's determination to establish thrillers and genre fiction as works equal to "depressing" literary fiction (his word, not mine) is overdone and comes off as "sour grapes", as if he personally failed at penning thematically-important, character-drive literary fiction (or was rejected in his efforts to do so) and now the chip on his shoulder is as large as an Napoleon's gold epaulet.

The second annoying trait is that, exceedingly often, Frey tells us what is included in his other books. He mentions one or two every chapter, stating that he has already gone over this in his other book. Not only does it reek as being self-serving, it breaks you out of the experience of reading each time, just as a loud commercial interrupts your favorite television show. Frey, we paid eleven bucks to read THIS book, not your others; if the information is in those books, cut and paste the section to which you refer here in the proper section of the book we just bought.

All in all, my suggestion on this book: pass on it.

Not to leave my fellow nascent authors without any guidance, here are three books on writing that are exceptional. I do not work for these writers, their agents or publishers, or their mothers or fathers.

Sol Stein's How to Grow a Novel, and his Stein on Writing (I have linked one here, you can see the other by clicking his name)
Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
And Paula Larocque's lovely instruction on how best to write the building block of all stories: the sentence.
The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
Finally, for the process of writing itself, the work ethic, the rejections, the spoils and the glee, it ios now and forever more, Annie LaMott's Bird By Bird.
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Keep the fingers to the keyboard and the head held high, my fellow authors. --Sven

Duracell Procell AAA 24 Pack PC2400BKD09
Duracell Procell AAA 24 Pack PC2400BKD09
Offered by BestSource OfficeSupplies
Price: $10.37
44 used & new from $5.16

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, May 21, 2014
ProCells are, in my experience, not nearly as long lasting as Energizers. That said, they are cheaper. I thought I'd give the Procells one more try since they box is orange and black and newer looking than the older black and some red boxes.

Well, as of late May, 2014, Amazon shipped me the known-to-be-average old Procells in the black and red box. These are tghe disappointing ones.

Suggestion: wait for the new fresher ones in a few months. Or, just pony up and buy Energizers.

Caldesene Baby Care Powder, 5 Ounce
Caldesene Baby Care Powder, 5 Ounce
Offered by AmericanWholesale
Price: $4.61
14 used & new from $3.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for foot smells., May 17, 2014
This is the highest concentration of zinc in a powder I could find. I use it in my child's soccer shoes and Docksider type boat shoes. The wretched stench is mitigated (but not resolved) with this powder, at the expense of having happy footprint trails of powder all over my house. At least I can sleep at night.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20