Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for John F. Bauer III > Reviews

Browse

John F. Bauer III's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John F. Bauer III RSS Feed (Cleveland, OH USA)

Cloud Computing: Concepts, Technology & Architecture (The Prentice Hall Service Technology Series from Thomas Erl)
by Thomas Erl
Price: $34.36
56 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid cloud computing architecture book just a bit light on cloud security, August 9, 2013
Free from all the "cloud" hype, this book provides the cloud fundamentals that enables the IT practitioner to cut right through the vendor sales pitches and make effective decisions on efficiently leveraging cloud services for their business needs. Covering the gamut of cloud business use cases from startups building out their IT infrastructure in the cloud to providing hosting services to government entities as a cloud provider, the book gives the reader every angle of cloud. Using a text book like format of theory related to practical use cases related to three case studies running throughout, the authors have a very effective structure to give the reader ample means of comprehension. The generous use of pictures (~260) provides the reader a compliment to the narrative explanation of the many cloud architecture concepts outlined. Starting with the basics and moving to exceedingly advanced cloud service delivery models, the book both helps novice readers as well as advanced practitioners glean valuable insights into cloud architecture models. All in all, a well constructed and thoroughly researched book. The only glaring gap I discovered was the relatively light and mostly theoretical security of the cloud coverage. For being one of the most misunderstood and challenging barriers to cloud adoption, I was left disappointed with the mild coverage of security juxtaposed to the expansive and deep coverage of all the other cloud topics. I strongly recommend this book to both novice and advanced practitioners interested in ensuring they have the most broad understanding of cloud. For those in need of a deep cloud security education, you might find this book lacking.

More detailed review on my blog: [...]

New Arrival! KDLINKS HD700 Extreme FULL HD 1080P 3D Media Player with Gigabit Network, Built-In Wifi, 7.1 HD-Audio, Youtube & Full ISO/VOB Support (Realtek 1186 3D)
Offered by NBOX US Distributor
Price: $189.99
6 used & new from $107.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid media player for the money, March 2, 2013
I final gave up on trying to get my LG BD670 to play .mkv movie files without having it pause every 10 minutes in the movie for 15 seconds to "catch up". So after reviewing the specs and customer reviews on this media player on Amazon I thought I would give it try. Very impressive and solidly designed unit. The 1GB wired network connection and the Realtek 1186 chipset smoothly play my .mkv files off my home network server without a hiccup! I even thought I was smarter than the unit itself changing default "auto" settings to what I thought was a more direct HDMI raw output setting and then not getting the expected results. I contacted customer support and get a response within hours that pointed our the error of my ways. Impressive to get such personal service these days.

I look forward to more firmware updates that include new enhancements!

I strongly recommend this unit to anyone looking for a no-nonsense quiet, compact media player with strong multi-format 1080p support.

Managing the Unmanageable: Rules, Tools, and Insights for Managing Software People and Teams
by Mickey W. Mantle
Price: $38.71
51 used & new from $32.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read for new and seasoned IT managers, November 27, 2012
Without a doubt the authors speak from experience and have logically constructed this book to reveal that experience to their readers. Chapter after chapter describe their accumulated wisdom when it comes to managing software developers. After only a few chapters in I found myself wishing I had access to this book at the beginning of my management career. I kept agreeing with the authors' perspectives and chuckling at their humor page after page. I can wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interested in a critical look at the success factors associated with managing software developers and software development teams. My only criticism, and it is a weak one at that, is that I didn't uncover any new striking management revelations. Thus, if you new to systems delivery management, you will absolutely learn valuable tips and techniques that took me years to accumulate. If you are a seasoned manager and have invested heavily into the learned depth of your management role, you will find the book a pleasantly refreshing read that will confirm you are balancing the competing priorities associated with software delivery team management.

I've written a more exhaustive review on my blog.

Scrappy Information Security: A plain-English tour through the world of Intranets, the Internet, Packets, Headers, Ports,  ACs, Routers, Bridges, ... Cards and Biometrics, which (Happy about)
Scrappy Information Security: A plain-English tour through the world of Intranets, the Internet, Packets, Headers, Ports, ACs, Routers, Bridges, ... Cards and Biometrics, which (Happy about)
by Kimberly Wiefling
Price: $19.34
36 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the security indimidated, October 28, 2009
I've finally found a book I can strongly recommend to those people that ask the most basic security questions. As a security professional, there are some great books out there for readers that already have a basic grasp of security, especially when it comes to the Internet. But I've struggled to find a book to recommend to those individuals that would get overwhelmed by the major of existing Internet security books. Michael Seese has filled this gap. His text simply and in plain, easy to understand common language, walks users through important security concepts such as phishing, password management, multi-factor authentication and safe Internet surfing.

I whole heartedly recommend this book to those looking for that straight forward, simple explanation of the most important day to day security concepts. A great security awareness text indeed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2013 12:15 PM PDT

Strategic Entrepreneurism: Shattering the Start-Up Entrepreneurial Myths
Strategic Entrepreneurism: Shattering the Start-Up Entrepreneurial Myths
by Wallace Wang
Price: $18.24
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone making business product or service decisions, December 20, 2008
There is a familiar phrase "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" that suggests products or services selected from a well know vendor are the safest. "Strategic Entrepreneurism: Shattering the Start-Up Entrepreneurial Myths" reads like a buying guide for established businesses looking to achieve success beyond the well established products and services offered by the same vendors as their competition. The points the author makes, especially in Chapter 7 starting on page 99, surrounding how to partner with customers outlines a success strategy for both the entrepreneurial startup company as well as the strategic customer. The strategic customer is in the unique position to have a business problem or solution solved in an extremely customized way that no big name vendor can do with mature and well established products and services and thus leap ahead of the competition.

I had the unique opportunity to be a strategic customer of one of Jon's businesses mentioned in the text and I can personally and professionally attest to the groundbreaking entrepreneurial themes outline in this exceedingly well written book.

Without question, it is a must read for budding entrepreneurs as other reviewers have consistently identified. In addition, it is a must read for business decision makers that need to stay ahead of the competition with customized solutions that strategic entrepreneurs can deliver and established vendors cannot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2010 9:04 PM PDT

Jaywalker
Jaywalker
Offered by DVD-PC-GAMES
Price: $17.51
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great balance, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Jaywalker (Audio CD)
I became a fan of Josh Joplin Group when I was idly flipping channels and caught the video for Useful Music's "Camera One". I was hooked. Useful Music was very enjoyable to listen to with only a few songs I find myself hitting the forward button to skip. I purchased The Future that Was as soon as it came out hoping to find Josh Joplin improving on a theme. It was ok ... it lasted a few round in the CD player prior to being replaced by something else. I rarely return to it. But when I ran across Jaywalker, I thought I would give it a try. I'm hooked again. Josh Jolpin has matured significantly with this release. A rare CD where I hit play on the first track and don't pick up the remote until the cd stops on its own. Each song flows smoothly right into the next. He must live in New York for practically each song includes a reference to elements of live in New York City. I live in Cleveland, but travel to New York City periodically for work. I don't truly identify with the feeling of living with 2 million people, but the feelings are inherent to all late 20s, early 30s folks.

In short, if you are looking for something intelligent but not too deep, lyrics that are smart yet not overtly complex, melodies that catch you the first listen, stay with you through the day and don't get old by the 20th, 30th listen then get this CD. Of course, if you are/were ever a Josh Joplin fan ... this CD is a must ... best work so far.