Profile for Mr. Deeds > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 579

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mr. Deeds "Opportunity is limited only by imagination. -Charles F. Kettering" RSS Feed (Columbus, Ohio)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Orbitsound M9 airSOUND Soundbar
Orbitsound M9 airSOUND Soundbar
Price: $365.44
2 used & new from $365.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly BIG sound in such a small package, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been testing the Orbitsound M9 airSOUND Soundbar in our den with our 42-inch LED flatscreen for the past few weeks.

Setup was surprising fast and simple -- plugged both pieces (the speaker bar and the subwoofer) into the electrical outlet and attached the included optical cable. There is an included remote control, which is very small. Once I found the "sweet spot" in terms of settings, I never even mess with marking adjustments. The sound bar blends in to our TV setup and the subwoofer is nearly out of sight on the floor to the one side. Both glossy wooden cabinets look very elegant.

The Orbitsound has especially made movie night much more enjoyable. I have also streamed music through the speakers from my Kindle and iPhone when we want to rock out a bit. I am surprised that this little system can deliver such rich, big sound. I give the Orbitsound two big thumbs up!

Corel Painter Essentials 5
Corel Painter Essentials 5
Price: $44.38
20 used & new from $43.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Turns my photos into mini-masterpieces!, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using Corel Painter Essentials 5 to turn photos of our family, pets and places of interest around our local community into fun and interesting pieces of art now hanging on our walls (thanks to both PictureItOnCanvas and CanvasPeople... I use whichever service has the best sale going on at any one time).

My family now has six canvases of varying sizes and we are planning on creating more during an upcoming skiing trip all thanks to Corel Painter. The software's tools are easy to use, but can be a bit daunting at first. I prefer to experiment and learn as I go.

Installation took longer than expected, about 20 minutes, but that could be because my iMac is 4 years old and does tend to run a bit slow lately. Once installed Corel Painter takes 350.2MB of space on my hard drive, which is on the large size for apps.

Corel Painter does not, in my view, replace photo editing software like Pixelmator or PhotoShop, but it is a fun and easy way for photo-editing amateur enthusiasts like me to create works of art. Two thumbs up for Corel Painter Essentials 5!

Miele Dynamic U1 Jazz Upright Vacuum, Canary Yellow
Miele Dynamic U1 Jazz Upright Vacuum, Canary Yellow
Price: $549.00
9 used & new from $549.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looks and high-performance suction, February 23, 2015
Length:: 2:38 Mins

I put the Miele Dynamic U1 Jazz vacuum to the test in our basement rec room, which is mainly used as a playroom by our two large lab-mixes. My short video goes over the features of the Miele (pronounced "Me La") along with a look at this powerful vacuum in action.

In summary:
* Great looks and it also delivers high-performance suction
* HEPA filter along with filter bag removes 99.9% of dust and allergens
* LED lights are very bright
* Easy to use and maneuver
* Brush and crevasse tool easy to access and works great
* See my short video for details

Classic Brands 8-Inch Advantage Innerspring Mattress, Twin
Classic Brands 8-Inch Advantage Innerspring Mattress, Twin
Offered by Mattress Firm Inc.
Price: $138.00
2 used & new from $138.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Firm but light; feels just right, February 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I replaced the old twin mattress in one of our guest rooms with the "Classic Brands 8-Inch Advantage Innerspring Mattress." It fits perfectly with the existing boxspring, frame and headboard.

The new mattress is much lighter than the old one and is very easy to move if needed. It's a very firm mattress, which I like, but is comfortable and the independent coils do in fact distribute weight evenly over the mattress.

The UPS guy delivered the mattress and he looked like a sailor coming home from leave with a large duffle bag over his shoulders. It was 42.4 pounds according to the packaging. I had to cut the bag off, using scissors, and when I did it sprung open with a lot of force. So be careful when doing that.

After testing the new mattress, instead of throwing the old mattress out, I put it under the new mattress. I did this mainly because we have some friends who visit each summer and they have a couple of kids. When they visit we can just take the new mattress and place it on the floor in the bedroom. I like the Classic Brands twin mattress and recommend it. Two thumbs up!

Foster Grant Wes Men's Multifocus Glasses, Gunmetal, 2.75
Foster Grant Wes Men's Multifocus Glasses, Gunmetal, 2.75
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my issue with switching from reports to laptop, February 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As advertised my pair of Foster Grant (Gunmetal, 2.75) glasses have greatly reduced the need for taking my glasses off and on when switching between the computer screen and reading reports and other printed material at my desk. And that is exactly what I needed.

I added an eyeglasses chain (actually made of a leather cord) and now I've completely turned into my father -- and that's just fine with me. :)

It did take a bit of practice to get used to using the multi focus aspect of the lenses, but once I did it made work faster and less frustrating because I can see clearly when quickly moving my eyes from screen to paper and vice versa.

The glasses are sturdy and a bit heavy but I need that strength because I tend to accidentally destroy plastic frames in fairly short order. I adjusted the plastic nose pads with my Leatherman pocket tool for a tight fit. I wish the plastic pads were a bit softer, say made of silicon, but once adjusted I hardly notice. Two thumbs up for these Foster Grant's.

Life n Soul LnS-KiiTAG-B KiiTAG-B Bluetooth 4.0 Item Finder, Bluetooth Lost and Found Device Mobile Accessories - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $19.99
9 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy gadget for finding my keys, January 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tested the Life n Soul Bluetooth finder for a few weeks and find it most useful on my keychain. Unlike similar Bluetooth trackers, the Life n Soul uses a clever radar-like screen of concentric circles. When in range, the circles light up from the outer ring and move inward the closer you get to the device.

That is useful and far more so then similar devices that simply show a pin on a Google-like map from an airplane view. The Life n Soul does this too, but calls it "Last place seen." The part that makes this device far more useful is that it also enables you to zero-in on your keys or whatever it is the device is attached to.

I also tested the Life n Soul on my suitcase during a recent trip. The range of the device is 200 feet and I was able to detect my suitcase just before it was about to emerge from the baggage claim ramp. Pretty neat.

It device is a bit larger than I'd prefer but does have a long battery life and has a minimal drain on my iPhone's battery -- the Bluetooth pings every 15 minutes take a toll but only when in range and when the app is being used.

Two thumbs up for the Life n Soul! I recommend this over similar devices based on the radar-like feature that lets you zero-in on your lost or misplaced item that it's attached to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2015 4:28 PM PST

Irwin Tools 1890451 Countersink Wood Drill Bit Set, 19-Piece
Irwin Tools 1890451 Countersink Wood Drill Bit Set, 19-Piece
Price: $44.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong enough to power through steel oil drums, January 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For years I've used ordinary drill bits for drilling pilot holes around my home, mainly for paintings, photos and signs. And for those normal drill bits have been fine.

But all of them were no match for bigger jobs, such as drilling ventilation holes in the steel oil drum I picked up as a burn can (I live in a rural area and we burn wood in winters down by the barn to keep warm when tending to the sheep.)

I tried everything last year to drive ventilation holes into that steel drum but ordinary drill bits couldn't make a dent. Enter the Irwin Tools Countersink Wood Drill Bit Set. I used the largest of the 19 pieces on my power drill and it went through like a hot knife on butter. I was impressed. Next I tackled a job to drill some holes into the wooden window sill of our barn to enable us to use a latch to secure a couple new shutters. Bam! No worries, there, either.

I know I'll be using this for all pilot hole jobs to come, none of them as challenging as that steel oil drum. I've already hung some more signs in the man cave, too. Two thumbs up for this Irwin Tools. In my toolbox from now on.

TEMPTATIONS TUMBLERS Chicken & Turkey Flavor Treats for Cats, 2.47-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)
Offered by Companion Caterers
Price: $29.74
3 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Kitty loves these pea-sized treats!, January 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a small cat named Miss Kitty (shelter rescue) and she is a very picky eater. Though she doesn't seem to like chasing her Temptations Tumblers, but prefers to eat them from her favorite small dish. The treats are actually very small (about pea-sized) and not at all large like on the package. That was a bit of a relief since she usually chases her smaller toys until they get lost under the refrigerator. :)

We offer Miss Kitty a few pieces in the afternoon and she can hear me opening the package from the other room. Nothing makes her move faster than that sound (especially when they are hitting the dish)!

Our household has grown to trust Temptations brand snacks over the years starting with our late cat, Hugh. He also loved them and they helped keep his teeth clean with each crunch. Two paws up for Temptations Tumblers from Miss Kitty!

Grohe 31359000 Minta Touch-Activated Electronic Single-Handle Kitchen Faucet, Chrome
Price: $417.56
16 used & new from $252.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Only cold water using "Touch" option; needs frequent adjustments, January 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Grohe 31359000 Minta looks fabulous once installed (which was extremely difficult), but cold water is the only option when using the "Touch" feature. That said turning on the tap with a "touch" is convenient when the hands are a mess -- but again the cold water is very cold during winters here in Ohio. Also, frequent adjustments of the "Touch" sensitivity levels are needed.

Pros:
* Sleek, modern look
* Touch feature works well once adjusted to proper sensitivity level (there are 5 sensitivity levels and the sensitivity of the Touch function varies depending on the ambient temperature and humidity under the sink.... more on that below).

Cons:
* Installation is extremely difficult. I needed a plumber for part of it.
* Only cold water if using the touch option
* A battery is required and a screw driver needed to install/change.
* Sensitivity of the Touch feature needs to be adjusted every few days (located on the battery housing under the sink).

Some notes on installation:
The instruction book was a bit daunting because it had so many pages and steps. Luckily Grohe created a very good instruction video, which I followed on my laptop as I worked (though I had to mute it since only music played).

I got stuck about halfway into the installation process trying to attach the 3 Grohe hoses. There was no way to install them because they need to attach very closely to one another. I ended up calling our plumber who had to install an angle valve for that. Since he was there I asked if he could complete the installation. He attached the hoses and then started reading through the instructions and scratched his head. He said it would take some time to figure out, and since his time = big money, I told him I'd do it.

If the bottom of your sink is non-metallic like mine, you are going to have a tough time finding a metallic surface (required per the instructions) to attach an included piece of copper tape for the balancing cable. I used the angle valve the plumber installed for the hoses. This sink also requires a battery and installing that was extremely hard, mainly because I needed to use my drill to power the screws into the back of the wall under the sink (a tight fit for me).

According to the instructions, the sensitivity of the Touch function varies depending on the ambient temperature and humidity. There are five sensitivity levels. Level 3 is pre-set by the factory. Highest sensitivity level is 5.

To adjust the sensitivity, follow these steps:
* Press the AQUA STOP button until the light turns on, then release the button. (It is located on the battery housing).
* The last saved sensitivity setting will blink
(e.g. 3x flashing = Level 3).
* With each additional press of the button, the sensitivity increases 1 position. After position 5 it resets to position 1.
* When button is released, the light indicates the last set sensitivity setting by flashing.

In summary, the Grohe 31359000 Minta looks great and the Touch feature comes in handy when hands are a mess. However, having only cold water is inconvenient. Adjusting the sensitively levels every few days is also a pain and I would prefer to have a sink without a battery to worry about changing. Installation was a 10 out of 10 in terms of difficulty. If I had to choose a new kitchen faucet today I'd probably pass on this Grohe model because of those points.

PNY L8000 PowerPack - Universal Portable Rechargeable Battery Charger
PNY L8000 PowerPack - Universal Portable Rechargeable Battery Charger
Price: $39.99
37 used & new from $22.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a slim recharger (good-bye bricks!), December 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The PNY L8000 PowerPack is slim, sleek and stylish. With its leather-like exterior there are no geekish signs that call attention to the device -- it looks more like a fancy cigarette case than anything else upon first glance.

I've relied on portable device rechargers for a few years now, especially when traveling. A few heated games of Angry Birds really zaps my iPhone's battery when waiting for a flight. :) On the road, I've battle-tested the PNY L8000 on two 100-mile round-trip excursions to keep my iPhone charged as I use it as a GPS device with Apple's "Maps" app, which is an excellent free GPS but is a serious drain on the battery.

At the end of both trips my iPhone was fully charged. There are 4 tiny blue LED lights on the PNY L8000 and based on the fact only one light was no longer illuminated, the device used 25% of it's charge during the 3.5-hour trip. That's impressive!

I've also tested the PNY L8000 while simultaneously charging my Kindle Fire and my iPhone -- which were both nearly drained. It's not the fastest process (took 3.5 hours for both) and there was one dot left (25% power) on the PNY L8000.

It does take some time to fully recharge the PNY L8000 -- just under 4 hours in my tests when it is fully drained. This is not at all unusual for portable device rechargers.

In summary: My impressions of the PNY L8000
* Looks = 5 out of 5 stars
* Performance: = 5 out of 5 stars
* Price (vs comparable devices) = 5 out of 5 stars

Two thumbs up for the = PNY L8000!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20