Profile for S. Droski > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Droski "voracious reader" RSS Feed (Austin, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series Book 1)
The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, exciting and wonderful!!, December 25, 2013
The Profilers Daughter is an incredibly smart and captivating book. It is part murder mystery part psychological thriller and part spy thriller, with a touch of medical drama and archeology adventure thrown in. Amazingly, the author mixes all this seamlessly into a single, wonderful book. I'm not an author so I fear This review won't do the book justice, but I'll do my best and if I fail, just do yourself a favor and read this book!

The characters and their relationships are well formed and realistically flawed, but they are still likable and enticing. Even those who aren't particularly likable are fascinating. There are many who I hope to meet again in future books.

The initial story is so simple and clear that I expected it would be a good, but fairly typical, murder mystery. Then the author cleverly and subtly weaved in layer after layer and before I knew it I was entranced. I quickly realized this book isn't at all typical. It is complex enough to keep you interested and constantly guessing, yet each new piece of the puzzle seems to fall into place without any gaps or confusion. What's even better is that as the pieces fall into place, the full picture isn't quite clear...not in an annoying way, but in a way that gives the book depth and made me want more. The end wrapped things up wonderfully, while still leaving plenty of room for many additional books in the series. I was so thankful that the book wasn't ruined by a trite or unresolved ending.

I have literally read thousands of books and though there are many books I've enjoyed, this book is truly a rare gem!! My only complaint is that there isn't a follow up book yet. I would happily dive into any other book by this author, but sadly I will have to wait.

Blackburn Road Mirror
Blackburn Road Mirror
Offered by Active Life Store
Price: $18.77
11 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly awesome bike mirror!!!, February 8, 2013
I can’t say enough good things about this mirror, though I should specify that I have a road bike so those of you with mountain/hybrid bike handles will have to figure out if it attaches well to your handles. I can’t tell you how much safer I feel riding on the roads with a rear view mirror!

I bought one of these mirrors a few years ago and it worked flawlessly until recently when I wrecked my bike dodging a car that ran a stop sign. I was going about 25 mph when I wiped out and the side of the bike with the mirror hit the road and broke the plastic “arm” that attaches it to the bike. Over the 3+ years I had this mirror I’d had other smaller tumbles that knocked the mirror off with no damage so my point is that it took a lot to break this mirror. Don’t let it worry you that it’s mostly plastic as it’s very sturdy!

When I tried to replace my much loved, but broken mirror I couldn’t find this same mirror so I bought what I thought would be an even better model. It had a metal arm and it attached to the bike with a metal bracket. There were washers/bolts on the bracket to tighten it to the handle bars and also where the arm attached to the mirror, so you could adjust the mirror angle and tighten it there too. Sounds good, right? Well, it lasted exactly two rides and it was nothing but a pain the entire time. None of the bolts would tighten enough to hold the darn thing steady, even with tools. The arm and the mirror were constantly slipping the entire time I was riding so I was constantly frustrated by trying to adjust it as I rode. And I do mean CONSTANTLY! On the 2nd ride I tried hand tightening the mirror bolt because it loosened from the vibration of riding and the mirror snapped off and broke. Frankly, that ended up being a favor since it gave me an excuse to look for a new mirror.
I hated that stupid metal mirror beyond words so I was THRILLED to find my previous mirror (the one I’m reviewing here) on Amazon. Yea!!!

This mirror is a dream and it’s exactly like the one I bought years ago! It stays steady and in place with no slippage and even though it’s plastic, it is way tougher than the metal one I tried. Also, once you get the arm adjusted on your handlebars and tighten the Velcro strap, it STAYS PUT!!! My handle bars are wrapped with tape (though the much hated metal mirror bracket ripped the tape) so I haven’t tried it on bare metal handle bars. If you have bare bars and it slips, I’d suggest that you wrap any kind of tape (I bet even self adhesive medical gauze wrap or plumbers tape would work if you don't have bike handle tape) just around the area where the arm will attach to your handle bars and that should do it for you. That may not even be necessary, but if so, it’s an easy fix.

Speaking of the metal bracket from the other mirror ripping my tape, the reason was that the bracket just wasn’t big enough to fit over the taped handle bars, which is ironic since once I did get it attached it slipped all over the place!

With this mirror that’s not a problem at all. This plastic arm is made in a way that it should fit virtually any size handle bar. My road bike bars are fairly narrow and the Velcro strap cinches it tight with no trouble, but it’s wide enough to fit much bigger bars. The only trick is to get it situated just below the brake so it doesn’t interfere with your braking or with your hand placement on the upper or lower bars. I submitted two pictures above so you can see how I placed it. For some reason I couldn’t get my head around how to place it initially, but once you have that figured out this mirror installs securely in literally 2 seconds with no tools. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this mirror?!

Not only does the arm stay stable and in place on your handle bars, but the mirror itself doesn’t shift while I ride. There is a plastic mechanism to tighten the mirror by hand, which works great. Even though it stays amazingly steady, I can easily shift the mirror angle up/down/sideways as I’m riding if the road angle behind me changes. Doing so doesn’t loosen the hand tightening mechanism. This mirror seems to have been designed by someone who actually rides, unlike the other awful metal mirror I tried.

The only thing I’d change if I could is that I’d make the vertical diameter of this mirror larger. Horizontally it’s nice and wide, but it could use a little more vertical coverage. Even so, you have a great view once it’s adjusted properly so this is a very minor thing, especially since it stays so steady! I forget if this is mentioned in the product description, but it also has a nice, big reflector on the back of the mirror. I don't think a reflector there is all that useful, but other mirrors use that as a selling point so I thought I'd mention it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 3:04 PM PDT

Aunt Sadie's Fresh Cut Grass Candle
Aunt Sadie's Fresh Cut Grass Candle

1.0 out of 5 stars smelled like burning garbage bags, November 10, 2011
I really hate to write bad reviews, but I got this as a small gift to cheer my mom up. She lives in N. OH where they have a long winter and she loves the smell of fresh cut grass. She saw this candle scent and mentioned how great it sounded so I had one sent to her. She emailed me this morning to say that it smells nothing like fresh cut grass and actually smells more like burning garbage bags. My mom never complains about anything and she's got a pretty sensitive sense of smell so while I haven't smelled it, I trust her input. People have different senses of smell and the other reviewer thought it was great, but I thought I should warn people that they might want to smell it somewhere before ordering.

Droll Yankees OWF Observer Window Bird Feeder
Droll Yankees OWF Observer Window Bird Feeder
Price: $14.21
43 used & new from $10.40

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent company and product!, October 11, 2011
I have had many bird feeders, but until this one they were all the type that you hang from a tree. I try to feed birds/squirrels near various windows as entertainment for my indoor cats. They love watching all the critters and "hunting" them through the windows and I enjoy watching them all.

Here in TX the heat and sun wear out plastic feeders pretty quickly so I've never had one last a year without something breaking. This is my 2nd feeder from this company and though this one has yet to break, I am not worried because Droll Yankee's customer service is awesome. The Droll Yankee packaging claims a lifetime warranty, but I've seen that with other companies and found it was much more challenging to get the replacement than it was worth. I had an excellent experience getting a replacement part for my other Droll Yankee feeder so this company has won a customer for life with me! You can read about my experience in detail via my review of the other Droll Yankee feeder (though the W1 Winner is more expensive than this one) - Droll Yankees W1 Winner Window Feeder

I was concerned that the suction cups wouldn't hold and I'd be picking the feeder up off the ground multiple times a day, but even with big squirrels leaping on it from the fence, it only falls once every 1-2 weeks, which is great.

If you don't want squirrels to get to this feeder, simply make sure there's no fence or anything they can easily leap to the feeder from and be sure it's not close to the screen or they will climb the screen (I have to get a new screen because of this) and then climb to the feeder from the screen.

It took a week or so for the birds to find the feeder, but once they did all was well. I have a cat tree right in front of that window so the cats can literally touch the window right where the feeder is. Some of the birds take off, but most of them just ignore the cats as they paw at the window, which is more fun for all of us. The cats enjoy those who fly away too though as I think it makes them feel like they successfully hunted a bird. :)

My least favorite thing about this feeder is that you can NOT adjust the distance between the top cover and the bottom tray. I like to keep it big enough so the squirrels and bigger birds can get in. They are able to with this pre-set distance so I'm happy, but if you want to shrink that distance to only let smaller birds in you may want to check out the Droll Yankee W1 Winner Windows Feeder per the link earlier in this review as that one allows you to adjust this distance. The W1 is much more expensive than this feeder though so there is a trade off for the adjustment functionality.

My most favorite thing about this is that the suction cups connect to the feeder so you place it all on the window together. That makes it easier to position since you don't have to manually judge the correct vertical/horizontal distance for the suction cups. Also, when the feeder does fall, the suction cups generally stay attached to the feeder so you don't have to hunt for a suction cup.

I highly recommend this feeder and really, any feeder from this company!

Droll Yankees W1 Winner Window Feeder
Droll Yankees W1 Winner Window Feeder
Price: $26.16
56 used & new from $24.85

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent company and product!, October 11, 2011

Here in TX the heat and sun wear out plastic feeders pretty quickly so I've never had one last a year without something breaking. This one was very sturdy, but after 7 months of the squirrels knocking it onto the stone below, a piece on the bottom finally cracked. The Droll Yankee packaging claims a lifetime warranty, but I've seen that with other companies and found it was much more challenging to get the replacement than it was worth. Not this time!! I called them and all they asked was what model I had, what part was broken and what my shipping address was. They didn't ask for my receipt or even when/where I bought it. A week later the replacement was in the mail and my feeder was back in the window...no hassle at all, which is a really rare thing these days!

I was concerned that the suction cups wouldn't hold and I'd be picking the feeder up off the ground multiple times a day, but even with big squirrels leaping on it from the fence, it would only fall maybe once a week or so, which I thought was great.

My favorite thing about this feeder is that you can adjust the distance between the top cover and the bottom tray. I like to keep it big enough so the squirrels and bigger birds can get in, but you can shrink that distance to only let smaller birds in.

My least favorite thing about this is that the suction cups have to be placed on the window separate from the feeder so it's sometimes hard to get them placed the correct vertical/horizontal distance apart. Also, when the feeder does fall, sometimes you have to hunt for a suction cup since they aren't attached. Not a big deal, but another feeder from this company has the cups attached to the feeder, which solves this -[[ASIN:B00004ZB4J Droll Yankees OWF Observer Window Bird Feeder]

I highly recommend this feeder and really, any feeder from this company!

Bona Motion Hardwood Floor Mop
Bona Motion Hardwood Floor Mop
Price: $44.64
11 used & new from $40.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Hate cleaning or have small kids, this is your solution!, October 5, 2011
I purchased this for myself after reading the July 24, 2011 review titled "Effective and easy to use". I won't repeat those review points, but I do have a few to add.

I had actually bent the handle on my original Bona "mop" because I had to push down so hard to get the floor clean, which drove me to look for a better option. The other reviewer mentioned having to press hard to get that old-style mop to work, but I wanted to add this detail about my experience with it. I hated that thing and dreaded cleaning my new wood floors.

And then I bought this one....what a huge difference!! I adore this thing. I didn't have the same problem as the other reviewer in terms of the initial few sprays. Mine sprayed the expected fine mist from the very fist spray. I let mine sit upright for a day after assembling so maybe the liquid seeped in enough to prime the spray mechanism, but that's just a guess.

This new mop literally cut the time it takes to clean my floors in half AND the floors look significantly better. With the old mop, even putting as much pressure as I was able to, I had to go over the floors multiple times to get them looking decent. With this new mop I don't have to push down hard at all and I don't have to go over the floors multiple times, yet the floors look better than they did before, which makes me very happy since I hate cleaning.

After using my new mop for a couple of months I bought one for a friend who has two small children. She was complaining how hard it was to juggle a baby while cleaning her wood floors because she needed one hand to spray the Bona solution and the other to mop. If one of the girls needed her she had to stop mopping because she had no free hands. She also complained about the pressure required to clean so I figured this new mop was a perfect gift.

She loves it! She can now clean her wood floors with a single hand (and foot, to turn on/off the sonic motion) while holding a baby in the other arm, which makes her life much easier and allows her to finish the floors much faster. She also commented on how shiney this new mop made her floors as compared to the old mop.

I highly recommend this product for anyone with wood floors!!

Columbia Men's Tamiami II LS Shirt,Bright Bluet,XL
Columbia Men's Tamiami II LS Shirt,Bright Bluet,XL

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for fishing!, September 1, 2011
First, I am a woman. Second, I don't fish. Still, I adore these shirts! I bought one in Bright Blue in March and just bought another in a lighter blue (sail blue?) so I don't wear out the first one. Why, you may ask, do I love this men's fishing shirt since neither a man, nor do I fish? Here are some reasons:

1. Colors are really beautiful. You can't tell from the pictures how nice they look in person. The bright blue was more of a deep periwinkle and the lighter one is more subtle, as expected, and really nice. These aren't the boring, flat colors you see so often.

2. Comfortable material that drapes nicely and washes beautifully without using some special cycle or hanging dry. They come out fresh and unwrinkled wash after wash (I am NOT careful about washing clothes so this is great).

3. Fabulous material for hot weather. I bought the first one in anticipation of the terrible summer heat here in TX. I wanted something with sunscreen fabric that wasn't too tight (so I could wear it over other clothes all year round, while cycling or gardening) and this shirt was beyond my wildest hopes! The material is so lightweight and breathes so well that it is comfortable wearing outside even in 110 degree heat with the sleeves down to protect my arms from the sun. In spite of the fabric being so lightweight, it doesn't feel cheap or insubstantial. As a matter of fact, this shirt looks nicer than many expensive men's dress shirts I've seen and it is literally the most comfortable piece of clothing I own!

4. Pockets pockets, pockets!! It's impossible to find women's clothes with useful and plentiful pockets so I really appreciate this. the pockets have velcro or button enclosures so your stuff stays put and because of the wonderful material they don't bulk up the shirt like you might expect. I can't rave enough about the pockets...love them!

5. Packs really well for travel. It folds down to almost nothing and comes out well after being crammed in a suitcase so this is another great thing.

To be fair, I need to list what I don't like about the shirt. I really thought hard and after wearing the first shirt for 6 months, this is all I could come up with:

1. somewhat expensive. This isn't a cheap shirt, which is why I only ordered one at first, but I can honestly say it was worth every single penny!

2. sleeves don't stay folded up very well. OK, when I'm not worried about the sun I hate long sleeves so I often fold up the sleeves and wear them at elbow level. They have a very cool elastic loop on the outside of each sleeve just for this. You loop a piece of fabric through and button it to hold the folded sleeves up. Because the fabric is so soft and drapes so well, the sleeves aren't quite stiff enough to stay folded well. The loop assembly is strong, looks nice and holds well, but the folded up sleeves tend to "unwrap" and you have to adjust them periodically.

Even with that small flaw, I love, love, love this shirt!!

Jefferies Socks Girls Sport Quarter Half Cushion 6 Pair Pack Socks, White, 9-11
Jefferies Socks Girls Sport Quarter Half Cushion 6 Pair Pack Socks, White, 9-11

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults too!, July 16, 2011
The label on these socks say they are for kids, as do most of the reviews, but I bought some for myself and I love them! I am an adult and I wear a woman's size 10 or 11 shoe. The largest size of these socks fits great. They stay up, but they aren't too snug and they are really soft and comfortable. I work from home and I've gotten in the habit of wearing socks around the house (and sometimes when I step outside) so I go through socks pretty fast. Other socks either have seams that are annoying, have colored heals/toes that show when I wear them with shoes, are too tight or thin, or slip down my heals. I've yet to find a single thing wrong with these. I logged in today to order more of these socks now that I know how great they are, so I thought I'd also write a quick review in case there are other adult woman looking for great socks. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars is that I want to see how long they last before I wear holes in them. They seem very thick and sturdy so I have high hopes!

I just got my second order of these socks and I'm updating my review to clarify the size. On the Jefferies packaging they are labled as "L" and "Shoe Size 6-9", but there are stickers on the packaging listing the size as "Amazon size: 9-11". Hope this helps ensure you get the right socks if you have big feet like me!

Hanging Solar Garden Light - Cornet Shaped Solar Lights, Solar Tree Lighting - Set of Three (3) Lights
Offered by Britta Products
Price: $44.95
4 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and the brightest solar lights I've seen, June 1, 2011
I bought a number of different, "fun" solar lights and these are by far the brightest. Since they are pretty and versatile too, they are one of my top 3 picks!

On a scale from 1-4, where 1 = "decorative, but very dim light" and 4 = "extremely bright and well suited to light your way", I'd rate these at 5 (yes, that's off my scale...they are really bright!).Really bright solar lights are hard to find so these are fabulous. I actually had to move one because the initial location was shining in my bedroom so brightly that it kept me awake, even from across the yard.

Other thoughts:
1. Though these are only white light, they look really nice at night and they even look pretty during the day when they aren't lit.

2. The manufacturer has been very responsive. I bought two sets of these and had no problem, but I also bought a set of "Solar Garden Path Lighting - Color Changing Light - High Quality Stainless Steel and Crackle Glass - White or Red/Green/Blue Snowflake Effect" lights and one broke right away. I emailed the manufacturer and within 24 hours they'd replied that a replacement was on the way to me. No hassle at all!

3. So far they are staying lit all night, but keep in mind that I'm in TX where we get lots of sun to charge them each day.

4. They come with a string attached to each and with a pretty hook to hang each. I use the hook for some and for others I just loop the string over a branch. My only concern is that the string seems pretty thin and I'm not sure how long it will hold up. The nice thing is that this makes them very versatile and it's easier to get them in the sun where they'll charge each day while still in range to light a path since they aren't at ground level.

5. Versatile! Another reviewer mentioned how nice it is that you can grab one off a tree and carry it when you need light. I totally agree and these are the only lights I bought that offer this option.

6. My one concern other than the fragile hanging string is how strong the connection is at the top. So far, so good, but I wonder how they'll hold up. You screw the top off to turn the switch on and they don't seem to catch well when you screw it back on. The top continues to rotate and never really catches to make a tight seal. I wonder if that will let rain in and I'm not sure the top connectors will hold up well if you have to unscrew them often. The good news is that you shouldn't have to mess with this often so I just suggest being gentle when you do.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 10:04 PM PDT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but fragile and not very bright, June 1, 2011
I bought a number of different, "fun" solar lights and while these are very pretty, if you are looking for bright path lighting, you may want to check out another option from this manufacturer, which I'll also review today (Hanging Solar Garden Light - Cornet Shaped Solar Light, Solar Tree Lighting).

I suspect the crackle glass, which is what makes the pretty snowflake pattern, is what makes these so fragile so it's a trade off. One of mine broke right out of the box, but on a positive note, I emailed the manufacturer and they replied within 24 hours to say they are sending me a replacement. No hassle at all!

These are very pretty and they seem to stay lit a good portion of the night once properly charged. The post you insert in the ground is pretty strong (our ground is hard and rocky), but it's not very tall and you need to be sure you have them stabilized well so they don't fall over and break (since they are a bit top heavy). If you want something taller and less top heavy, I suggest you check out a trio of multi-colored solar lights topped with a butterfly, hummingbird and dragonfly that I've also reviewed today.

Brightness wasn't the most important consideration for me in this case, but it is important to understand so you get the best light for your purpose. On a scale from 1-4, where 1 = "decorative, but very dim light" and 4 = "extremely bright and well suited to light your way", I'd rate these at 1.5. My goal was mainly decoration and most solar lights I've seen rate no brighter than 3 so I consider that acceptable. I do like that you can set them to white light only or to cycle through a range of pre-set colors. In my back yard I use the color, but if I had them in front I'd probably set them to white to keep the HOA from throwing a fit. :)

While these aren't one of my top 3 picks, I do like them.

Page: 1 | 2