Profile for A. Chao > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Chao RSS Feed (Toronto, ON Canada)

Philips MultiLife NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries 2450mAh 4PK
Philips MultiLife NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries 2450mAh 4PK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 2450 mAh, doesn't hold charge well, and dies, August 19, 2011
I bought a bunch of these because they were cheap and promised quite a high capacity. Upon opening the package, I tested their capacity with a La Cross BC700 charger. Right away, I saw that they were at uneven voltage levels right out of the package. And after the full capacity test, the results were also varied across batteries from the same 4 pk. Some Eneloop batteries I also bought came out of the package at almost the same voltage level, and also showed very similar capacity results. Further more, unlike the Eneloops that ended up showing higher capacity than they promised, these Philips batteries all showed lower capacity ratings than labelled. Some 10% lower.

This was all about 6-8 months ago. Yesterday, I realized two of the Philips batteries had completely died. That is, I cannot get any charger to charge them. I tried the La Cross mentioned above, as well as my trusty Maha C801D. That is disappointing. I have some GP batteries from more than 5 years ago that still can be recharged. So for 2 of the Philips die in such a short time is very disappointing.

I will not be buying these again, regardless of their price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 3:33 PM PST

Belkin F5D5055 Gigabit USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Belkin F5D5055 Gigabit USB 2.0 Network Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly surprised performance and ease of use, January 5, 2011
I bought this for my Macbook Air (2010, 13"). I was use to having gigabit ethernet from my Macbook Pro. Especially when copying multi-gigabyte files over, 802.11n, even with multi-channel just isn't fast enough for my liking.

I bought this after reading the reviews on here, basically, it was either this, or Apple's boring 100Mb USB adapter, and that was the last option. And since I could get this from a local store for approx the same price as the Apple adapter, I figured it was worth a try.

After reading the reviews on here, I was under the impression I had to download and fiddle with some beta drivers before it would work on OS/X 10.6.5. So Imagine my surprise when I plugged it in to my MBA, and the link came up, and I was connected. Yup, no installation of drivers was necessary, everything was plug and play!

For benchmarks, I tested on my MBA first, and was able to transfer a 4 GB across my gigabit LAN at a rate of approx 24 MB/s (that's megabytes/s). That's not too shabby! I repeated the same test on my Macbook Pro and got the same results.

As a comparison, I performed the same test with the built in gigabit connection on my Macbook Pro. I was able to get 30 MB/s with the Macbook Pro's built in gigabit adapter.

So certainly the built in gigabit ethernet card in the Macbook Pro is still faster, but since that wasn't a choice for my MBA, it was either this, or Apple's 100Mb adapter, which would have given me a top speed of probably around 8 MB/s. So I think I am going to be quite happy with this.

In short, great little gigabit adapter, delivers far faster performance than a 100Mbps adapter, and at almost the same cost! Works great on Macbook Air (2010).

Oh, PS, as someone commented, the blue LED lights on this adapter can light up a totally dark room, put some tape on that or you'll never get to sleep.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2011 12:06 AM PST

Incipio IPH-433 NGP for iPhone 3G/3GS - Matte Aubergine - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Purple
Price: $2.38
2 used & new from $2.38

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing case, September 28, 2010
Being an happy owner of an Incipio Feather, I thought I'd give the NGP Matte a try, since the Feather doesn't quite offer drop protection.

Unfortunately, the NGP Matte was a huge disappointment. Let me list the ways:
1. It is only a little harder than a hard rubber case. It is nothing like the material used in the Feather. I thought this would be like the Feather, except it covers the bezel of the screen. That would have been perfect--a super thin, hard case, that covers the bezel.
2. The fit is poor. The bottom part covering the bezel above the dock connector is all floppy and loose, it sits naturally a few mm from the iPhone (yeah, like in some cheap silicone case!). I've seen many hard rubber cases with a tighter fit than this.
3. The button protection: yes, it protects your power and volume buttons... to the point you can't use them!! The case material is too hard. It is not giving like a rubber case, so it makes the power and volume buttons VERY difficult to press, and removes all tactile feedback you get from pressing those buttons (you can't feel them when pressing on them!)
4. After much case surgery, I managed to cut out the button protection panels, but even then the situation is still not good. The case is 2 mm thick, so even with the holes, the power and volume buttons are still very difficult to use.
5. The Feather included 2 screen protectors. The NGP Matte includes one.
6. After installing the screen protector, and then putting the phone into the case, I notice the edge of the case actually presses against the screen protector, so it lifts the edges a little... yes, just enough to put air bubbles in every time you grab the phone.

I hope someone else thinking about this case will save their money and go with something else!

inspiretech Apple iPhone 3G Full Protect Cases (Blue)
inspiretech Apple iPhone 3G Full Protect Cases (Blue)

3.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, January 28, 2009
I have the red version of this. I got it because the incipio felt a little too slim and offering not enough protection.

The Good:
* This case offers better protection (in terms of the bezel) while not adding much bulk.
* The metallic color is really pretty and it shimmers a bit.
* The material is very soft to the touch. This is probably the best part about this case.
* I bought this directly from inspiretech's web site, it was certainly cheap enough, even shipping to Canada was cheap (although I did have to pay a hefty duty which was almost half of the cost of the case). Still, overall this is one of the cheapest priced cases around.

The Bad:
* As a reviewer already pointed out, the vertical fit of this case is poor. You can slide your phone inside it about 2mm.
* The case finish is poor. Running my finger tips along the inside edges of the case at the beginning, I had to scratch off a few burrs. Also, even on the outside, the mold lines are clearly visible and you can even feel it.
* The color finish is not carefully done. On my case, the red color finish did not make it to the inside lip covering the bezel. So if you look at the covered iphone from the side, you can see this grey spot on the case. Thankfully it is not visible looking at the phone from head on or else I would have been very happy. Still, this definitely shows the lack of attention to detail on the finish.

In summary, the best things going for this case is the soft touch feel, the pretty color, and the price. But build quality is really poor. If they could tighten the fit, as well as ensure thorough color coverage, and a careful final sand down, it certainly would be one of the top cases. Heck, I'd even pay a few more bucks for that.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars best charger EVER!, December 16, 2008
Being a geek who is willing to spend a little more for something well thought out and well built, I bought this charger. After owning for over a year, I would buy it all over again if I was looking for another charger (which is unlikely to happen considering how well built this thing is). This is by far the best charger ever.

1. individual charge circuits: means it determines how much charging each slot needs, and so you can put batteries at different levels of drainage in, and some finish charging before others.
2. 8 slots for AA or AAA batteries! that's a lot of charging all at once!
3. lots of options: you can soft charge, fast charge, recycle (drain/charge).
4. LCD display: hey, geeks love displays telling you what's going on.

The only possible minus is that it comes with a big AC adapter, so don't plan on taking this with you on vacation.

Aside from that, no, by far the best charger on the market.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2010 6:36 AM PDT

Griffin iFM (Dock Connector) / FM Radio and Wired Remote Control for iPod
Griffin iFM (Dock Connector) / FM Radio and Wired Remote Control for iPod
Offered by Earthly Trading
Price: $35.99
6 used & new from $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars works well on ipod touch (1st gen), December 4, 2008
The ipod touch is great, except when it is -20C outside in Canada, and you want to wear gloves so your fingers won't freeze and fall off. That's when the touch isn't so great. So I've been looking for a remote for the touch for a while. [...]

I was able to find the Griffin iFM here on Amazon for pretty cheap. So far (about a month), the iFM works pretty well. Since I just have the remote and the touch in the same pocket, I find the long cable a little unnecessary, but that's easy enough to just tie into a bundle.

If you want the volume control to work, you have to plug the earphones into the iFM's earphone jack.

The FM mode on the iFM works well. I'd been curious as to how it was to work, since the ipod touch does not have any radio application built in. So, in FM mode, essentially the iFM just draws power from the ipod, but it doesn't use it for anything else. It displays the station you are listening to on its own LCD display.

The only downside to the iFM I think is the FF/REV rocker button is placed a little awkwardly. So it isn't the easiest to push. And certainly if you want to use those buttons to auto scan ahead FM stations, it is quite difficult (especially if the whole thing is in your pocket).

Aside from that, I am pretty happy so far. And with winter already here, I am thankful it works! I just hope it lasts through til at least next spring!

Edit: Well, a few more weeks have passed since I wrote that review, and temperatures continue to drop, and one day leaving work my earphone cable got caught. That yanked the earphones out of my ear, and when I put them back, I realized only the right side was playing. At first I thought it was the earphones, but when I plugged them directly into the ipod, they were fine. Then I plugged them back into my iFM, and no go, somehow my iFM is now only playing in one ear. This is true regardless of whether I am playing a mp3 or using the FM function. So now I have to plug the earphones directly into my ipod. This means I cannot use the FM feature, and of course I lose volume control as well. With this in mind, I think I will have to downgrade my rating for this to a 3/5.

One good thing, apparently Griffin is coming out with a new product the Navigate. It is more expensive, but maybe it will be better built. Hopefully nothing else with my iFM breaks, at least until the Navigate comes out.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty nice, July 1, 2007
I was looking for a watch that was a little more interesting than the standard Ironman. I was drawn to this because of the purple tinting.

Looks: In the photos, it looks like the silver on the front is matte, it is not, it is shiny. That's not a big deal, but it was still a little surprising since I was expecting it to be matte. Aside from that, it is a nice looking watch.

Features: Stop watch only does 1 hour, then it rolls over. Timer and alarm beeps are not loud, I don't think I can trust it as an alarm, I'd never hear it.

Best feature: The World Clock function is very good. You set your home city timezone, and then there is a second clock mode where you can use while away in another timezone, you can make that mode show anytime zone you like, and you don't have to set the time in that timezone since you've set your home timezone. You do have to tell it if 2nd timezone observes DST. Aside from that, it is great, so when you get home, just switch mode to your home.

Drawbacks: The purple tinted text looks great, but is not the easiest to read. This is especially true if you are looking at the face dead on. I think it is because the backing is so shiny like a mirror, it reflects you reading it. If you tilt the watch a little in another direction, especially in a direction that is bright, then you can easily read it. The "light" feature is also not great. Certainly no match for "indiglo" type lights. Also, I am not sure if the wrist strap is replaceable, the standard strap is okay, but my wrist is just the size that it is either a little loose or a little too tight.

Overall: 3 out of 5, but I don't think I'll buy it again if this one dies mainly because of the text visibility issue.

Transformers Movie Deluxe Bumblebee 1974 Camaro
Transformers Movie Deluxe Bumblebee 1974 Camaro
Offered by diecastgirl
Price: $49.98
3 used & new from $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, July 1, 2007
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I got this in the twin pack with Barricade. I remember in the old days, getting a new transformer toy was fun, but now, it took me 10 minutes to undo Bumblebee from all his wire and tape bondage just to get him out of the package. Once out, I run into a problem in the first transformation step, flipping the feet into the back of the car. The left leg just didn't want to move to the right place. Under more careful examination, I realized there must be some sort of mismatched gear preventing it from moving to the right place. Anyway, I tried continuing with the rest of the transformation, and sort of got it into car mode. Of course I ran into the problem that some people have been reporting, the stupid "Automorph" feature on the hood, it basically is spring loaded, so if you press this area on the hood, it pops down and his head pops up. Well, mine was flawed so it was VERY hard to get the thing to stay put. Anyway, after 20 minutes fighting with the thing, I got tired and gave up after having zero fun.

Later on, I took a screw driver to the left leg, took out the cover hiding the gears which moves the feet and the rear roof top, and found that yes, my toy's left foot was one gear off, so after resetting that, I was able to get the left foot to transform properly.

Overall, it was extremely disappointing as a toy. I had a load of frustration and zero fun. I cannot imagine any kid enjoying it, or even playing with it because it is just a hassle more than anything.

TOSHIBA 47LX196 XHD 1080P HD LCD TV
TOSHIBA 47LX196 XHD 1080P HD LCD TV

2.0 out of 5 stars ghost bars/gray bands ruin otherwise beautiful TV, February 9, 2007
I got this just before Christmas 06, was very excited when I got it. First 10 minutes were of sheer awe and happiness of a kind rarely duplicated. Then, I sat down to watch Lawrence of Arabia on it. Within about 20 minutes of the movie, I noticed that on the big desert scenes, or the sunrise/set scenes, I could see these strange gray bars/bands running vertically on the TV. The horizontal location is approx where SD TV would letter box to, they were on both sides (but worse on the left). So you don't notice it on SD content, but if you are viewing wide content, you see it. The appearance is like someone draped very thin gray cloth over parts of the TV, definitely not something you'd expect from a $3300 TV. No, I am not talking about the thin wires in old Sony Trinitron TV/monitors, those can be ignored because they are very very thin, these are like bands like 4" wide.

Anyway, after a month and a half of waiting for a replacement to come to the dealer I bought it from, I finally got fed up and exchanged it for a Samsung LN-S4695D. Yes, it is a cheaper TV, my dealer was being a jerk, he wanted more money for any other TV. But, at least now, I can enjoy the HDTV without these annoying gray bands, which is something you think would be expected for the price of these TVs.

I was especially disappointed since the 47LZ196 is NOT Toshiba's budget TV, it is their TOP of the line LCD TV. And to have these sort of image quality issues is just not acceptable.

Now if you look around, there is talk on various forums (avsforums most notably), that models with a build date after Dec 06 didn't have the banding issue. Mine was Sept 06 FYI.

Aside from this problem, the TV was gorgeous, no complaints about other aspects of the TV, just the banding was killer.