Profile for T. Vervaeke > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Vervaeke RSS Feed (Colorado Springs, CO USA)

Casio Men's PAW1500-1V "Pathfinder" Multi-Function Digital Watch
Casio Men's PAW1500-1V "Pathfinder" Multi-Function Digital Watch
Price: $154.99
27 used & new from $154.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch For Hikers and Climbers, August 27, 2009
I bought this watch about 8 months ago and have used it regularly when hiking or climbing. Have been a lover of the Casio sport watches (G-Shocks) for a long time. Primarily I got this watch to hike with as it's altimeter will be helpful as it is on my wrist. I always hike with a Garmin Rino 530Hcx which is a GPS, Radio, Moving Map, and altimeter. But it attaches to the front of my backpack's shoulder strap and is not always that convenient to read w/o unclipping it and reading it.

The 1500 watch is perfect for that. At the Trailhead I will turn on the GPS, get a fix, read the elevation, and then set the Casio 1500 to that elevation. It's normally pretty close on it's own but not always perfect. Then I start my hike. Most of my hiking is upwards from the TH to a lake or mountain peak that I know the elevation of. So I can use the watch to determine how I am doing and how much time I have expended. In conjunction with the Garmin GPS it's a wonderful combo.

This is my first solar powered watch and that too was one of the reasons I got it. No more batteries. No chance it is going to die from batteries when out on a week-long adventure somewhere (which has happened with my battery powered quartz watches). My watch keeps itself charged even if sitting on my desk in my office for weeks at a time and the only light it gets comes through a window 10' away.

I have not really used the back light much that many folks complain about as I don't hike much at night. I'm old, when it's dark I'm likely to be inside.

As for the atomic time sync: no issues at all. Again, my watch normally sits on my desk inside my house and it gets the time signal just fine. In fact there's a screen on the watch to inform you when it last synced. Never an issue. I live in the western US.

The thermometer is accurate as long as the watch is not on your wrist. It takes 5-10 minutes once off of your wrist to be accurate. Unfortunately, since I'm a mammal and it's a watch it can't measure wind chill. Darn. :-)

All in all this is a great watch for the $$ especially if you buy it someplace like Amazon on sale. I expect this watch to last 10+ years and thousands and thousands of hiking miles. I consider it part of my hiking survival kit.

BMW GS: Adventure Motorcycle: A 30 Year Catalog
BMW GS: Adventure Motorcycle: A 30 Year Catalog
by Hans-Jugen Schneider
14 used & new from $337.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Incredible photos. A Must Have, March 19, 2009
Just got this book a few weeks ago. I'm an airhead owner and not that interested in the other material. On the airhead side alone there is an incredible amount of data, photos, press photos, cutaway drawings, and race photos. Some of the information was new to me despite the fact that I own a 1993 BMW R100GS.

The authors did a great job on putting all of this data into one place. This book will have a place on my coffee table for the next year and then will become a treasured member of my BMW motorcycle book collection.

Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and install, September 11, 2008
Product worked well and was very easy to install. I had it mounted on the wall in five minutes and the wiring connected in another five. Completed the simple programming in another five. My setup involved only 2 wires for heating only (no AC needed where I live) and this was very easy to do from the instructions. Would recommend this model to anyone who can live with a 5/2 day mode.

Pinzon 190-Gram Velvet Flannel King Bed Sheet Set, Taupe
Pinzon 190-Gram Velvet Flannel King Bed Sheet Set, Taupe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, March 20, 2007
After spending a lot of time and money trying to find high quality flannel sheets.. We finally found them on Amazon. These sheets have to be the best flannel we've ever slept in. Very nice. And, the price was excellent for the quality. After trying sheets from Lands End, LL Bean, and other places that charge 2-3X more, we gave these a try. Very soft and luxurious. Would highly recommend these sheets to anyone looking for quality flannel.

Choosing and Using a Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope : A Guide to Commercial SCTs and Maksutovs (Practical Astronomy.)
by Rod Mollise
Price: $39.63
53 used & new from $5.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I could find, October 28, 2002
This is an awesome book. It answered about a million questions that I had about equipment, accessories, a bit of telescope
history, etc.. It held my hand step-by-step during the search for a new telescope and then again once I had my new telescope in my hands. I found the author's writing style to very very good for the person brand new to Astronomy. I've already recommended this book to 5-6 other folks. It contains enough information that it will be useful for quite a while as there are many aspects of my new telescope that I'm not ready to try yet.
This book is pretty darn expensive but worth every penny. With good telescopes costing from [X], the price of this book isn't much.
The tips alone on new telescope assembly, setup, checkout,
etc.. are invaluable.

Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869
by Stephen E. Ambrose
787 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for railroad buffs. A "sluggish" read., September 13, 2002
I purchased this book on a recommendation from a friend. Not
impressed at all. The story itself is interesting, but Ambrose's telling of it was not.
Why?
- He spent the first 100-200 pages detailing all of the political machinations that were needed to get both railroads
(UP and CP) going. I think 25-50 pages of this would have been fine.
- There are many many sections of the book where there is repetitive data: on the tunnels, how they laid the track, how the raw materials were brought up, etc.. I bet I read 200 times how the grading "was 300 miles in advance". Stop it!
- I was never able to understand the tricky financing portions of either the CP or UP. If I was able to figure out the financial sleight-of-hand it would have been more fun.
- Nice pics, but why not a diagram of the railroad's organization, etc.. that we could refer to?
All in all it was interesting but took me months to read. I'd ready 50 pages and put it down in disgust. Read 10-15 other books and then come back to it.
It's a book that I would swear was written but 10 different
folks, put together, poorly edited, and sent out into the
world to make money. I will continue to search for a better
work on this subject.

Street Atlas USA 9.0
Street Atlas USA 9.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Another update to a great product, November 21, 2001
This review is from: Street Atlas USA 9.0 (CD-ROM)
I've been a big Delorme Map'N'Go and Street Atlas fan for a long
time. I hadn't update my Street Atlas since version 6.0 so it
was time. I have used this on both a Win98 SE and a Win2K box
with no problems. Installation and execution are very straightforward. I use it on somewhat older PC's (300 and 400 mhz) w/o problems.
The newest SA 9 has more features (travel planner) and newer maps which I like. Its still more or less the same product as
before with more features. I find this product great to use both at home (what if'ing) and for travel with a laptop.

Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt Adventures)
Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt Adventures)
by Clive Cussler
671 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst one yet - nothing new - Cussler's getting tired, August 31, 2001
I've read and re-read all of Cussler's stuff. Even the non-fictional material. Love it all. The last several have been major let downs. Valhalla Rising was the worst. While I still love all of the Pitt and Al exploits, and of course one must suspend reality, this one was poorly written.
Nothing new, in fact he once again borrows the exact same premises. How many times in all of his books can Pitt rescue a burning ocean liner? Haven't we seen this 1-2-3x before? The main bad guy is weak and not ever developed well. His henchman are also not developed well except for 1-2 characters.
It doesn't even really tie together well with the oil development and the high-tech engines.
I'm sorry to see it happen but it eventually does to all of the good writers. Clancy is exhibiting the same problem. Growing up it was Alistair MacLean. He was so good but eventually it was horrible.
Clive: quit now.

Atlantis Found: A Dirk Pitt Adventure (Dirk Pitt Adventures)
Atlantis Found: A Dirk Pitt Adventure (Dirk Pitt Adventures)
by Clive Cussler
612 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous efforts - IMHO, December 25, 1999
I've been a Clive Cussler fan for as long as he has been writing. I have each of his books in both hardback and paperback and reread each of them at least once per year.
The latest book was a bit of a disappointment. It starts out well but then fades. It's almost as if Clive didn't write it. I was anxiously awaiting this book and read it in two sittings. However, it's not going to be a favorite of mine. It may get reread on occasion.
There's not enough of Dirk and Al working together for me. They're often separate which means their witty reparte is missing. All of the main characters are in it, but it seems to not fire on all cylinders. The last two Dirk novels have not entertained me nearly as much as his earlier works. It's hard to put my finger on it but it's just not as riveting as others. A lack of the sense of urgency and danger is part of it.
Better luck next time Mr. Cussler. I'll continue to read your books as long as you continue to write them.