Profile for D. Miyao > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1911

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Miyao RSS Feed (San Diego)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
ANLEY [Bubble Pack] Candy Color Back Battery Cover Replacement [Sewn Leather] for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Orange) + Free Ultra Clear Screen Protector Film
Offered by ANLEY
Price: $9.95
2 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit, August 4, 2014
Fit was perfect and the color makes it much easier to spot my phone. I love this replacement cover for the back of my note 3. It was slightly more slippery than the stock cover but it wasn't an issue.

MLB Men's Short Sleeve Basic Logo Crew Neck Synthetic T-Shirt
MLB Men's Short Sleeve Basic Logo Crew Neck Synthetic T-Shirt
Price: $5.90 - $30.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Crooked Logo, August 4, 2014
The logo was crooked when I put it on...Nice shirt material but it the "San Fransisco" across the front was one inch lower on the right side vs the left. It looked very awkward across my chest. Luckily Amazon has amazing customer service and sent out a replacement.

LG G3, Metallic Black 32GB (AT&T)
LG G3, Metallic Black 32GB (AT&T)
Price: $499.99
4 used & new from $349.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, but not the best Android phone of 2014., July 23, 2014
A little background; I love trying out new phones, from iPhones, Windows phones, and especially Android phones. I am a firm believer in mobile technology and always want whats best to help make my day easier. I have reviewed(since 2013) the LG G2, iPhone 5, HTC One M7, and the Galaxy S5, and I have also owned but not reviewed the S4, HTC One M8, and the Galaxy Note 3(my favorite). The general trend for the past year and a half amongst mobile manufacturers is making larger screens. The G3 sports a larger 5.5 inch screen over the G2's 5.2 inch screen. To keep customers happy, LG, Samsung, and HTC have or will have "mini" versions of each of their flagships...I personally love 5+ inch screens and find myself using tablets with much less frequency. If you're thinking about coming from an iPhone, give the larger phones a fair chance before you judge too quickly. Most people I know fall in love with larger screens and never want to go back to anything smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paMb_cgVkug - very good processor and screen comparison by Erica Griffin.

It has been 9 full days since I purchased the LG G3 from the AT&T store. If you only go by first impressions, it is very easy to fall in love with this phone, but give it time to show its true colors and you might see a different story. Going on faith from the LG G2, I went all in on this phone hoping I would fall in love with it. I gave away my Note 3, traded my S5 for the HTC One M8, and made the LG G3 my primary phone. Based on the hardware specs alone, this phone should at a minimum be as good as the other flagships. The G3 boasts a top of the line snapdragon processor from Qualcomm, the same or very similar processor that resides in the Galaxy S5 and HTC One. For the first half of 2014, the Snapdragon 801 is in all of the main flagships so at the heart of the G3 is a beast of a processor. For memory, the G3 has 3gb of ram which only the Note 3 can match. Not even the S5 or the One M8 have 3gb of ram(they have 2gb), which means the G3 should run very smooth even when multitasking. As for the battery it has one of the largest at 3000mAMP which only the Note 3 can make claim to a bigger battery at the time of this post. To spare you more boredom about the interior hardware details, I will just finish with the G3 has top of the line specs and should outperform all other phones...

THE QHD SCREEN - Everyone is talking about LG being the first to release a phone with a QHD display, quad HD (4x720p), which has the highest resolution of any screen on the market(I'm referring to phones sold by At&T, Verizon, etc. The Oppo was the true first to announce a QHD display but not many people know OPPO). Apple made claims, back when they released their Retina display, saying that the human eye could not differentiate pixels with a density greater than about 300 pixels per inch (ppi)which is why they called their display a retina display, because the iPhone 4 had a density of 326ppi and technically they claimed we could not see the pixels with our eyes. We know this wasn't true when competitors like Samsung released phones with higher pixel densities reaching into the 400s and we could see for ourselves how much clearer those phones were in comparison to the iPhone. Samsung, LG, and HTC all had much clearer displays than the iPhones display which is why Samsung mocks Apple in a commercial aimed at the Retina display(it is slightly irritating that Apple treats its customers like they are stupid and mislead them to believe that nothing is worth buying with a higher resolution or even making people believe 4 inch phones are the best). With all of this being said, LG produced the G3 which has a large 5.5 inch LCD screen with a pixel density of 538ppi. Having never seen a QHD display before I bought the G3, I was hoping for major improvements in clarity- In 9 days of using the G3 I honestly cannot say I see a difference in the clarity between the G3, S5 and HTC One M8. I will say that I absolutely love the size of the G3 though, anything between 5 and 6 inches is perfect for a large phone and the G3 falls right in the middle. As for colors, I do not like the G3 screen because it has a "cold" temperature to it and everything seems to have a blueish tint. If you only use one phone you probably won't care too much and you might not even see what I am seeing, but I've grown to love Samsung's super AMOLED in their Note 3 and S5 especially since they tweaked the software to change the saturation of the screen depending on what the users have on their displays. This is one area where Samsung is just more refined than the G3. SO for the biggest hardware upgrade on the phone, I was highly disappointed. At least I learned that QHD is not necessary and there are very few apps that take advantage of this feature. If you do a QHD compatible search using Google, you will find very little information.

Design - The G3 is gorgeous. It is a large phone, same size at the HTC One M8, but it feels very comfortable in your hand. LG spent a lot of time with the ergonomics of the phone as they gave it a curved back vs the flat style of Samsung phones. LG also did away with the glossy plastic that they used in the G2, and gave it a texture to look just like aluminum and boy is it gorgeous. It looks good, is light weight for a phone of its size and most importantly the G3 does not attract fingerprints like the G2 did. LG also listened to its customers and went to a removable back plate which gives access to the battery which can be swapped(HUGE benefit of swapping batteries vs being a wall hugger like iPhone users), and it also gives access to the expandable memory and SIM slot. It gives the phone a very clean look, especially with the volume and power buttons on the back of the phone. Of all of the Android phones, I think the G3 is the best looking and best feeling (phone over 5 inches),but most would probably say the HTC One M8 looks better.

Camera - Wow, the camera is awesome. LG added a laser to help focus the camera faster than traditional methods. In real world use, the laser really does help. Combine that with the Optical image stabilization that LG added to the G2 last year, and you have the best performing camera of all of the phones. There aren't many modes or manual functions with the built in camera app, but there are enough modes to satisfy most users. Pictures always come out clear and crisp and I absolutely love the camera on the G3. This camera easily outperforms the HTC One M8, and because of its ability to focus quickly using the laser, it is faster than the S5 and Note 3 at taking pictures. This is easily one of the best smartphone cameras on the market.

Audio - Lg added a 1 watt speaker to the G3...what is 1 watt? It's the loudest phone available, even slightly louder than the dual speaker HTC One M8. It doesn't sound great, but being loud at 1 watt, I can listen to music rather easily when I shower. The sound is clear but very tinny - you can't expect much from a speaker on a phone though unless you buy the M8. The biggest surprise for me was the internal sound processor... I don't know what Lg used, or how they tweaked their audio output for headphones, but I LOVE their audio processor. I am an audiophile and listen to a minimum of 1 hour of music through my cell phone everyday using quality in ear monitors from Westone. The G3 brings my music to life, and I love listening to music and sitting on the patio with this phone. No other phone sounds this detailed when listening through head phones. Thank you LG for not cutting back on sound.

Everyday use - just like all other flagships, the G3 is fast. There are no stutters or lag when opening apps. Battery life is adequate, not quite the best as some people say, but it will get you through a full day. The large screen just works the battery hard. There are 32gb of memory built in and you can add another 128gb of storage using a microsd card which means you can store tons of pictures, movies, music, and apps. Memory will rarely be an issue for most with this phone. All in all it is a solid phone.......BUT, it isn't refined. I have experienced quite a few errors with the software that most reviewers won't experience in the first day or two of usage. I am getting apps that freeze, texting lags, and I have wifi connection issues. Maybe it's just my phone and I need a warranty replacement, but the phone freezing is something that used to happen to me on my iPhone 3...I have pulled the battery out now 5 times to give my phone a hard reset. This gets old quick, and most people don't like having to restart their phone due to software glitches. I have sat in the same seat at work for the last 3 years and none of my phones dropped wifi until the G3. When my wifi drops I have to restart the phone to get back a solid connection so my guess is that it is software related. This happens everyday with my phone now...

I could go on for days with this review but I will try to summarize the G3 as best as possible. With the G2 I was wowed. I couldn't have been more impressed at the time with an Android phone, and I think the G2 and Note 3 were the best phones of 2013. With the G3 it was obvious LG was trying to hit another home run, and in some areas they did just that, the camera, the design, the screen size...but they didn't clean up the little details that are non issues for other manufacturers. The software, although beautiful, is still rough, very rough. I find myself restarting my phone way too often. My Note 3 and S5 I would restart maybe once or twice a week...and now the G3, at least 3 times a day. The screen colors just are not good. Why put in such a high resolution screen with such terrible colors? If LG can fix those things then yes the phone will live up to the hype...there are lots of things to love about the G3 and unfortunately there are a few things to hate too. IN 2014, the other flagships One M8 and Galaxy S5, have very few things to hate(the One I hate the huge black bar under the screen and the S5 people hate the design). Between those three phones the S5 is still the king with the G3 and M8 in a close 2nd. Another feature that I love about Samsung is they offer so many freebees. They have an agreement with amazon to give a free book for the Kindle App once a month. Samsung also has an agreement with Slacker radio to provide music to their Galaxy devices free of commercials with a beautiful interface(app is called Milk). A few other things with the Samsung phones, they get 50gb of free cloud storage with Drop Box, or free wifi for flights that have Gogo service...the LG app store crashes every time I open it on my G3. Hardware wise and design wise the G3 is a hit. Total package though, the G3 is not the complete experience I was hoping for. I definitely love the G3 but there are also things that I hate. You would hope by now that manufacturers would take the time to work out the kinks in their software these days especially because software is one of the main differentiators to users now that most hardware is pretty equal. Boy do I miss my Note 3...lol.

Edit - One thing I forgot to mention, a minor complaint- the international version of the G3 comes with a spare battery and spare charger for that battery, as well as a nice set of LG headphones. I don't like LG/AT&T taking those items out of the US version. Apple gives away a very capable set of headphones and work to improve them...If LG truly wants to differentiate itself and work to be the best they shouldn't leave out things like headphones.

If you need cloud space, Google offers 15gb of free storage or 1.99/month, or 23.88/year for 100gb of data. Apple offers 50gb for 100 dollars/year, basically four times more expensive for half of the space.

7/25/2014 - for no apparent reason, my phone started to get warm in my pocket. I unlocked the screen and got the error message that the G3 could not increase brightness due to temperature. The longer I use this phone the more bugs I get...any other G3 users experiencing bugs or is it just my phone? Maybe I have a lemon.

- Another downside to the G3 - Accessories for the G3 are much more limited as compared to the iPhone or even S5. Something to keep in mind if you like buying cases, spare batteries, battery covers, etc.
- Check youtube for G3 screen evaluations and you will see that others are experiencing screen brightness and color issues too.
- If you also check benchmark scores, not that these matter to most people, you will find that the G3 performs at a slower speed than even the G2.
- http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-g3-problems/#!bpckB3 - a link to common issues
Comment Comments (37) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 3:59 PM PST

Samsung Galaxy S5, Black 16GB (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S5, Black 16GB (AT&T)
Price: $649.99
11 used & new from $334.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung hit the mark with this flagship. All other flagships are a step behind., April 14, 2014
A little background on my love of smartphones - I used to be a major Apple fanboy from the first iphone to the iphone 5. Steve Jobs is still my hero. I made the switch when the Galaxy S4 came out, then moved to the HTC One, LG G2, Note 3, and now the Galaxy S5. I use two phones, one for work and one for personal use. I spent a decent amount of time with all of them and can say that most people would be happy with each and every flagship for daily use for 1-2 years at a minimum but most people come to read these reviews for the small details that make the major differences between just "okay" with your phone or "completely happy" with their device. I won't list out the specs of the phone since that type of info is listed everywhere. But this phone as well as the others listed here are spectacular at being fast, having good to great battery life, and all have good to great cameras. Probably the most polarizing topics of phones these days is the aesthetics, mainly due to the fact that hardware seems to have outpaced the software which means manufacturers cant really make phones noticeably faster than the previous generation. Okay I'll get to the review.

Metal vs. Plastic - The HTC One and the iPhone are made from mostly aluminum. Aluminum without question looks fantastic on phones. The colors also look much better on aluminum because they can be anodized giving them a rich and even color that just look great. The main problem with metal is, sure it looks great on day one, but the material is so hard that is super easy to scratch and nick without ever dropping it. I am the type of user who hates cases. They add thickness and overall just make the phone look ugly, and to top it all off, cases are 40 to 50 dollars for a piece of plastic(major rip off). I carry my phone in my left front pocket without anything else in there to scratch it. After a good months use of the iPhone 5 and HTC one, i developed so many nicks and scratches that it really made me question, "Is metal really so great?" The answer is no. Have you ever seen someone with an uncovered black iPhone? After 6 months the sides look silver just from normal wear and tear. Most people who will read this review probably haven't seen an uncovered HTC One mainly because the volume of sales isn't there, but that phone has the same problem. Sure the metal is gorgeous, but it is only on the first day. And what is the point of buying a phone for it's looks if you're going to cover it in a PLASTIC case?
Plastic - At first try with the S4 and LG G2, I HATED plastic. The glossy feeling made the phone feel slippery and cheap in my hand. And to top it off, glossy plastic attracts oil like white on rice, which just makes your phone feel nasty at times(or maybe I just have gross hands which I don't think I do because I am a scientist and wash my hands 10-20 times a day). But then the Note 3 came out with faux leather plastic. Sure it's not pretty like aluminum, but it's light weight, it has a nice texture, it doesn't attract oil, and it doesn't nick and scratch like metal. Maybe Samsung is onto something with plastic. Everyone seems so concerned with the way phones look vs how they feel or hold up over time. I can say without a doubt, my Note 3 looks the same way it did out of the box after a few months of hard usage. For the S5 they switched from the glossy plastic on the S4 to a textured dimpled plastic that feels slightly soft, which I think feels fantastic. It is slightly softer with a more grippy feel and it doesn't look at all tacky. I love it. The phone definitely feels sturdy in your hand.

Software - The general perception of Android is that it is harder to use than iOS. After using iPhones for 5 years(iPads and macs), and now Android for just over a year, I can say that perception is absolutely false and anyone who says it probably has not given Android a fair chance. In fact, I think Android is easier to use than iOS. With google now built into the phone, it is always listening. When the phone is unlocked all I have to say is "Okay Google" and I am prompted to give my phone instructions like "get me directions to the nearest gas station" or "call Susie" and the phone does it. You dont need to hold the home button to pull up siri or open up a separate app to use this feature which makes it super functional. I know most people don't use siri. Siri just isn't that good. It doesn't understand a lot of words or the search results it brings back are not useful. Google now works on about 95% of the words I speak and I am a mumbler at times too. So for my friends who say they can't understand me, well google now can! To me this is revolutionary. People called the iPhones revolutionary because they added value to your everyday life. People think, " can you imagine what it would be like if I couldn't have email 24/7 or internet access 24/7?" which is what made the iPhone revolutionary. It changed the way we did things. Having a phone always ready to hear your commands is revolutionary. When you're in the car and can't touch your phone, voice control is a huge benefit. Or when you're cooking and want to send a text without washing your hands you now have the ability to send a text hands free. Other software advantages. iCLOUD SUCKS. EVERY iPhone user at some point says, "oh crap, I am out of memory." Well the reason is no one really knows how to use iCLOUD and end up leaving everything on their phone until it fills up. Google's back services allow for any file type to be backed up and you can even view the pictures stored in the cloud. They just aren't downloaded on your phone until you hit download. It's a huge advantage over iOS and I love it. I never back my phones up to my computer anymore to make space on my phones. As for the rest of the software it is very easy to use and gets better with every update.

Battery Life - battery life from my experience from worst to best goes in this order HTC One, Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, Note 3, Galaxy S5. No this wasn't a video loop test, or some other standardized test. It is my perception of using each phone for a minimum of 3 days as my primary phone which means I was using the phones for email, text, talking, pictures, youtube, movies, and games. I just got back from a 2.5 day camping trip and didn't charge the S5 one time and came home with 50% power in reserves. Absolutely AMAZING battery life. Another nice feature to have is the removable battery. Before I had this feature with the Note 3, I thought it was a dumb benefit but now with a spare battery I can go from 1% to 100% with the removal of the back cover and swap of the battery. No more being tethered to a wall to get back to 30% before I can use my phone again. I love pointing this out to iPhone users who are stuck to walls with their chargers(not to mention those stupid 20 dollar lightning cables that break every 6 months). The S5 also has USB 3.0 with fast charging built into the processor, so you can easily get a 90% charge in less than an hour. SO for battery life, and for the ability to swap batteries, the Galxy S5 is best in class by a long shot. Spare batteries MSRP are 39.99 but on amazon you can buy a generic which works perfectly fine for 20 dollars.

Screen color and resolution - A year ago I hated AMOLED screens. It is the screen that Samsung uses in their displays vs the others who use LCD. I'm no expert in display technology but a year ago AMOLED screen were cartoonish looking. It drove me nuts to look at overly saturated pictures and movies. LCD screens have a much more accurate color representation. But with the Note 3 and now the S5, Samsung definitely has solved that problem. They have adjustable settings for your screen similar to a TV screen. The S5 also gets very bright and dark which means in sunny San Diego I have no problems seeing my screen in full sunlight and at night when I am in bed I am not squinting my eyes because my phone is too bright. It definitely gets darker than typical LCD screens. Resolution, the S5 is top notch. Only the HTC One bests it with pixels but you can't tell the difference between the two. When an iPhone user looks at the S5, they say'"Wow, it looks so clear." Well that is because the S5 has a much higher resolution. The screens speak for themselves.

Camera - The S5 camera kicks butt. It has a new feature where you can make part of the picture blurry and the other part clear. It is really neat and I used this feature often on my camping trip. This camera in practice is better than the G2, HTC one and even Note 3. i would say it's equal to Apple's camera but I also think that is Apple's best feature.

Removable storage - Only Samsung devices, Sony, and the HTC One M8 have removable storage. Throwing a 64gb memory card in my phone gives me full confidence I can take as many pictures as I want or store as much music as my heart desires without sacrificing other things for them. My S5 came with 16gb, but now has 80gb of memory to use, although about 6gb is used by the software. The additional memory was about 40 dollars vs an iPhone memory upgrade to 64gb would cost an additional 200 dollars. The winner here is rather obvious.

IP67 water and dust resistance rating - basically this means the phone is dust proof and water resistant up to about 3 feet of water for 30 minutes without risk of damaging your phone. Only the Sony flagship models have this feature built into their phones and they were the first to do it. Basically this rating means, you can drop your phone in the toilet (gross) and it will survive, or you can take it in the hot tub or bath tub and not worry if you will kill your phone or not. In my case, in San Diego, I can take it hiking or to the lake without worry of damage. IP67 is not rated for salt water but having that feature means I can probably take my phone to the beach and a few splashes here and there won't kill my phone. Also, if your phone ever does get dirty, you can just wash it in the sink. It's really a fantastic feature to have built into your phone especially if you have kids who tend to get stuff wet and dirty.

In summary, all flagship phones are great. Some have a few features like LG with their "knock on" code where you can unlock the screen with a double tap. Or the HTC One with it's spectacular speakers, and the Iphone with it's beautiful design. The S5 at this very moment is the best phone on the market. We are fortunate to live in a time with such fierce competition that all phones are great but it's the little details that make the S5 so much better than the rest. You really cannot go wrong with this phone unless you just hate the size and love your small 4 inch iphone screen. But you really can go right in so many more ways than the other phones. If you have any questions for me please post them. Ill continue to add updates as I see necessary.

Edit 7/25/2014 - I had the HTC One M8 for two weeks and got rid of it because I didn't like it. Design wise, the HTC One M8 is gorgeous, especially in gold with the blue dot case which is what I had, but the frame is huge. Below the screen there is a huge black bar on top of the already thick bar where the speaker is located. Also, if you don't use a case with the M8, it will slip out of your hand due to the smoothness, shape and weight on the phone. It was fast, sounded great, but was lacking in a lot of areas in design - but it LOOKED AMAZING from the back lol.

I also published a review on the LG G3 on Amazon. Check it out if you're interested.

Also, if you want a bunch of freebees, don't forget to register your S5 with Samsung as you can get things like 50gb of free cloud storage with Dropbox and 1 year subscription to Business week amongst quite a few other freemiums.
Comment Comments (46) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2014 12:28 PM PST

Xtreme Aquatic Foods 2157-AAA Betta PeeWee Fish Food
Xtreme Aquatic Foods 2157-AAA Betta PeeWee Fish Food
Price: $9.82

5.0 out of 5 stars I now own a giant Betta because of this food, October 9, 2013
I switched to this food because I read online that the quality of the food can affect your fishes health (duh i guess lol). Anyways after a good two months of use my betta's color is so much more vibrant and my fish is HUGE. When my parents came to visit they even took notice since they hadn't seen the fish in a couple of months. My betta seems to be very happy since the switch and even builds bubble nests, which apparently is a sign of good health and happiness based on literature from the internet. Make sure your hands are dry when you feed your fish or the food will absorb the moisture and sink to the bottom.

LG G2, Black 32GB (AT&T)
LG G2, Black 32GB (AT&T)
Price: $429.99
4 used & new from $185.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing. Wow., September 30, 2013
Have you ever gotten a new phone and thought, "wow this phone makes my other phones seem so dated"? I can say that this is that phone, the LG G2 is AMAZING...funny thing is, my last two phones were the HTC One (AT&T) and the iPhone 5 (AT&T). I am that guy who buys the latest and greatest when I think it will make a difference in my life and I justify my phone purchases with the excuse that my phone is always on me(and I used to be an Apple fanboy and I have owned every iPhone). I use it for work, games, news, remote for my tv, sports, email, camera...Oh yeah, I use it to make phone calls too. Anyways, I haven't been in love with a phone like this since I went to the original iPhone. I hope you find my review helpful and beneficial to your purchase regardless if you buy one or not.

The Bad - Let's just get this out of the way.

The case is a glossy plastic. The phone is a finger print magnet. I am slightly self conscious when I let people see the G2- I feel like I have very dirty hands and I'm a chemist which means I am washing my hands regularly. The phone is a dirt and oil magnet.
The other downside is no expandable memory but I have a hard time using 32gb of memory anyways so Im not complaining but some of you out there might want more memory.

The GOOD - Get ready for a long list. I will do my best to put what is important first just in case I bore you and you want to move on.

Battery - The G2 has the longest battery life of any phone I've used. I regularly use my phone for a multitude of tasks. With my iPhone 5 and HTC One I usually could make it through the day without a recharge, but without a doubt I would give those phones a full charge when I slept. It has been 4 days since I have owned the G2 and have only charged it over night twice. All I can say is "WOW". Finally a smart phone with a battery that makes sense.

Software - The LG software is really well thought out and not gimmicky like the Galaxy S4. My favorite feature is the double tap of the screen when the phone is in sleep mode which turns it on, and this feature also works to turn the phone off. No more need to find some long and flat power button on the top of the phone which at times isn't easy to find on the phones because at night you don't know whether your phone is upside down or not. I know it isn't a huge deal to find the power button, but double tapping anywhere on the screen to turn it off/on is a very useful feature. And no it doesn't accidentally turn on in my pocket. The software can detect random touches from the double tap. Other features of the software are a long press of the volume button brings up the camera and it loads within seconds or the notepad for quick notes. I am finding more useful software features as I move along, for example today for my meeting reminder which popped up 15 minutes before the start, a "silent mode" option popped up along and I clicked it and my phone went silent for the scheduled time of the meeting. No more forgetting to turn my phone to silent during meetings. Also when I am in an app and I receive a text, a little box pops up with the text and it has a reply box so I can actually reply to texts without exiting the app I'm currently using. If I don't reply the box disappears within a few seconds just like a notification on the other phones and the app in use just runs like nothing happened. With the large screen the pop up box is non obtrusive. If this was an iPhone the box would take up a significant part of the screen but on the G2 it's just like a notification popping up on any other phone. Again it's a simple feature but it makes sense and I love it. Other than that the phone is running Android 4.2.2 which is really smooth and pleasant. In comparison to iOS6 this makes Apple's software seem dated and unimaginative and compared to the HTC One software it is refined and the One is also running Android 4.1.2.

Screen - Holy cow this screen is the best screen I have ever laid eyes on. The screen is huge and the bezel around the screen is tiny. Whites are white, blacks are black, colors aren't overly saturated and the resolution is on par with the best of the best. Simply put, this is the best screen of the top phones, iPhone, Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. When I show it off to my stubborn iPhone friends all they say is wow it's so clear and big. It's almost as if I'm holding a mini HD TV in my hand.

Sound - For those audiophiles out there, this phone does allow for 24 bit music and it really does sound fantastic. With headphones in this phone blows the competition out of the water and for the record I am an audiophile too. With the speaker the phone is loud, definitely louder than the iPhone 5 but not as loud and clear as the HTC One. In this comparison, the HTC One wins for the speakers but the G2 is no slouch and I find myself listening to my music on the speaker frequently.

Camera - Again, best camera of the bunch. I've read about the Nokia having a 41 megapixel sensor which Im sure rocks, but the G2 compared to the HTC One and the iPhone 5 wins hands down. I have a black dog and cat and whenever I took pictures with the iPhone 5 they came out looking like black shadows with eyes. It was disappointing to have such cute animals misrepresented. The HTC One definitely gets the colors right on pictures but the zoom lacked because it only has a 4 megapixel camera. With displays as clear as they are now, 4 megapixel pictures are easily pixelated when you zoom in. The G2 has a camera to replace all point and shoot cameras. My dog and cat are visible! The camera is fast even in low light and takes fantastic pictures.

Performance - The G2 has a quad core snapdragon 800 2.3 ghz processor which is the fastest available in all smartphones. In normal people language...it's blazing fast and buttery smooth. I hate to say this but the iPhone and HTC one seem laggy. And I hate to say that because in real world use those phones are more than adequate, but once I go back and play with the HTC One and iPhone5 I think," man these phones are slow." Using the app manager I frequently see 5-10 programs open and running but none of that affects the performance.

Build - The phone is plastic but not cheap feeling like the Galaxy S4. If you pop the back cover off of a Galaxy S4, the back really feels like a flimsy piece of plastic, whereas the G2 does not have a removable back which gives the phone a much better build quality and sturdiness. It also has a rounded back which has a very nice feel in your hand similar to the HTC One but better. The HTC One and the iPhone 5 have straight edges vs the G2's rounded edges which makes the G2 much more comfortable to hold. I loved the aluminum on the HTC One and the iPhone 5, it makes for a sturdy build and quality feel, but the edges used to scratch and dent from normal usage, because the edges were so fine, which got annoying quickly. I truly appreciate the G2's build quality and attention to detail even though it doesn't use aluminum it definitely has a premium feel in a comfortable package. Looks wise, the case of the phone is nothing unique or special but I spend most of my time looking at the beautiful screen anyways so I don't have much to complain about the phone in that respect.

Verdict - I honestly thought we have reached a point with hardware where there really won't be much innovation anymore because everything has become so fast, high resolution, etc. that the next innovation wave would be in software. Boy was I wrong and pleasantly so. Moving the volume buttons to the back makes perfect sense. With phones getting larger, and bezels skinnier, it doesnt really make sense to have the volume buttons on the side. With small bezels it becomes rather necessary to hold the phone on it's edges where typically you would find the power and volume buttons which means while watching videos it could be easy to bump them accidentally. You need to reach for the buttons on typical phones vs on the G2 the buttons are where your fingers rest naturally which makes turning the volume up and down rather easy. And the screen with minimal borders is gorgeous. Sure the resolution on the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are great just like the G2, but who wouldn't want a bigger screen in the same size package? That extra half of an inch does make for a better experience when it comes to phones(size does matter).
I have used the Galaxy Note II and a few of the other phablets(phone but tablet sized) and they are just too big to justify the functionality over form. LG fit a huge screen into a minimalist package which I can truly say it is phenomenal. And the best part of this phone...I can see my dog and cat! Yes I adore them and love them and am always taking pictures of them to send to friends and family. There has not been one person that I have showed the phone off to who wasn't amazed by it and getting an iPhone user to be amazed by a Droid phone is pretty freaking rare.

For once in a long time, I can say that this phone will last me at least a year without me getting the urge to upgrade and that's saying a lot. I was the guy who waited in line for 12 hours to get the 3g and 3gs. I can without a doubt recommend this phone to all smartphone users and if you do get it I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Update 9/22/2013 - I love this phone more and more each day. It charges really quickly. When I get actual numbers on speed to charge to 100% I will post them.

Update 9/26/2013 - Yesterday I woke up to LG's native email app crashing continuously even after a restart. I deleted my email accounts and it still was happening so I did a factory reset which eliminated the problem. I then emailed LG's customer service to see if they know about this and I got a good understanding of how their customer service works and quite frankly it is terrible compared to the competition. The phone itself still commands 5 stars but customer service is no better than 1 star and here is why: 1. They asked for proof of purchase to validate that I bought the phone within the last year (the phone hasn't even been out more than two weeks...really?) 2. They didn't answer my question, the reply was I may need to send the phone in 3. Sending the phone in was my responsibility, they don't send a prepaid package like the competitors 3. 5-7 days until I would get my device back. So if you account for shipping I could be without a phone for two weeks (LG should know better most people can't go more than a day without their smartphones .

If you compare Apple's customer service, they have stores that you can walk into (with an appointment) and get your phone swapped out with in minutes. Their reps also can help solve problems like frequent app crashing and it's all included with their 12 month warranty. If you don't live close to a store Apple will mail you a box and it will have priority shipping. You can get your phone replaced within a couple days. Sony doesn't have in store replacements like Apple, but they do ship boxes to send your device in also with priority speed.

If you are accustomed to Apple's customer service or another company's that you like, factor it into your decision when making the switch. I can tell you with absolute certainty that LG's service is awful.

9/27/2013 - Luckily I was within AT&T's 14 day exchange policy. The camera would not focus and continually shook...the replacement works perfect. Apparently I was the second person with this issue so keep a lookout for this if you pick up a G2. Charging from 50% to 100% only takes an hour using a nexus 7 charger.

If interested, I posted a review of the G3 as well.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2014 4:47 PM PST

Skinomi® TechSkin - LG G2 Screen Protector + Carbon Fiber Black Full Body Skin Protector / Front & Back Premium HD Clear Film / Ultra High Definition Invisible and Anti Bubble Crystal Shield with Free Lifetime Replacement Warranty - Retail Packaging (For: Verizon)
Offered by Skinomi
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Super nice skin but install is not super easy., September 30, 2013
I love the carbon fiber skin, especially because the G2 has a glossy back and the skin gives it a texture that does not attract any fingerprints. To install the skin you need a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the adhesive and get it to bond properly. They don't tell you this when you buy it and since I am a male, I don't own a hair dryer but luckily I own a heat gun so this could be a slight issue for some of you. The skin came precut in many pieces, the main body skin, 4 pieces for the sides, and three pieces for the volume up/down and power button as well as a ring to protect the lens. Overall the skin covers everything but it by no means is "simple" and takes lots of patience and a steady hand, but once installed and set it is a magnificent skin. Also something to keep in mind is that the skin needs a few hours to set but really more like 24 hours to set to full hardness. The adhesive stays slightly pliable for the first 24 hours which makes it easy to accidentally pull off or move the edges.

For the screen protector (I am by no means an expert installer but I have installed a couple zagg protectors), I had a little trouble with install. This isn't completely the fault of Skinomi but the G2's face is slightly curved and on the edges it was very hard to get the screen protector to set without having the edges pull up. I waited overnight for the screen protector to set, like they suggested, put the phone in my pocket and when I pulled it out I noticed one corner lifted. By the time I reapplied it a couple bubbles formed with dust...if you get this skin set be aware it needs quite a bit of time to set and stick to the phone. I'll probably pull the screen protector off and buy a Zagg as a replacement.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 9:12 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing. Wow., September 16, 2013

The Bad - Let's just get this out of the way.

Build - The phone is plastic but not cheap feeling like the Galaxy S4. The G2's phone back is not removable so it doesn't feel flimsy like the Galaxy S4. It also has a rounded back which has a very nice feel in your hand similar to the HTC One but better. The HTC One has straight edges vs the G2's rounded edges and it is more comfortable to hold the G2. I loved the aluminum on the HTC One and the iPhone 5 but the edges used to scratch and dent from normal usage which got annoying quickly. I truly appreciate the G2's build quality and attention to detail even though it doesn't use aluminum it definitely has a premium feel in a comfortable package.

Verdict - I honestly thought we have reached a point with hardware where there really won't be much innovation anymore because everything has become so fast, high resolution, etc. that the next innovation wave would be in software. Boy was I wrong and pleasantly so. Moving the volume buttons to the back makes perfect sense. With phones getting larger it doesnt really make sense to have the volume buttons on the side. You need to reach for the buttons vs on the G2 the buttons are where your fingers are naturally which makes turning the volume up and down rather easy. No more accidentally bumping the volume buttons on the side too. And the screen with minimal borders is gorgeous. I have used the Galaxy Note II and the a few of the other phablets and they are just too big. LG fit a huge screen into a minimal package I can truly say it is phenomenal. And the best part of this phone...I can see my dog and cat! Yes I adore them and love them and am always taking pictures of them to send to friends and family. There has not been one person that I have showed the phone off to who wasn't amazed by it and getting an iPhone user to be amazed by a Droid phone is pretty freaking rare.

Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 4:54 PM PDT

HTC One, Silver (AT&T)
HTC One, Silver (AT&T)
2 used & new from $249.92

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...HTC one VS iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S4, May 12, 2013
Yes I am that Apple fanboy who used to wait in every line when every iteration of the iPhone was released. I have owned every iPhone from the very first one and have loved the design and software of every phone. Only recently did I become seriously interested in Android based phones again because of the Galaxy S4 and all of its cool features like preview without touching the screen or eye tracking. I have tried Android phones in the past as well as Windows 7 phones, and I never thought I would give them a shot again but Samsung's big marketing push peaked my interest.

Most of you know of at least one person who is always getting the latest iPad, iPhone, Kindle, etc. and you think to yourselves, " why is such and such always wasting money on such frivolous things?'...well Im that guy. I am the one who buys into the latest and greatest because I see the value that these items bring to everyday life. When I got the first iPhone, my friends and family who owned Motorola Razrs told me they can check their email from home and there was no need to be connected to email 24/7. Well those people, all of them, now own iPhones (lol). I was just as excited as any Apple fan boy when the iPhone 5 came out and it was nice to have the larger screen, but ultimately the hardware is seeing diminishing returns on its coolness factor. Still without a doubt, the iPhone is a fantastic phone and I love it. Yet, those droid phones and their large HD screens with cool features...

So I went to a brick and mortar and picked up a Galaxy S4 because of all of the features that samsung developed that the iPhone lacked and it had a larger screen. First, hardware wise, the S4 is amazing thin and light. But it's made of plastic and it feels cheap. Most people would think to themselves, as did I, who cares about design and feel because it is all about function. Boy was I wrong...imagine a flat rectangular piece of plastic that is large so you must hold it with your fingers rather than let it sit in the palm of your hand. It is flat so it doesn't sit in your palm. One of the reasons Apple has stuck to small phones is because you can do everything with one hand. Because of the S4's shape you need to do everything with two hands. Yes I am a normal sized male with normal sized hands...it became rather frustrating when I could not text with one hand let alone do all of the other tasks with the phone I normally do with one hand. But most importantly, it is very uncomfortable to hold. It makes typing emails painful. Another super cool feature of the S4 I liked was that I could expand the memory with a micro sd card. Who would't want to add an extra 64gb of memory so you could store thousands of pictures without syncing the phone with your computer? Well that feature is fantastic, but when I removed the back, plastic, cover it was about the cheapest thing I have felt in ages. The back cover snaps off and cracks and creaks and you just wish Samsung would put a little effort into the design. Another downside to Samsing's screen is it's SUPER AMOLED screen. Colors are too saturated and are cartoonish which gets annoying rather quickly. It's almost as if they are the extreme opposite to Apple and think function over design...but in this day and age, you would expect everyone to realize people really want the best of both worlds.

Welcome to the HTC ONE...It has a bigger screen( than the iPhone but smaller than the S4), higher resolution screen, beautiful design, AWESOME SPEAKERS, and a very ergonomic design. The screen is better than both the iPhone 5 and Galxy s4 and it is noticeable to me rather easily. Almost every review will tell you that the resolution between all three phones is insignificant, which it absolutely is if you are looking for individual pixels. But for someone who used a Retina display since the iPhone 4s came out, I can tell you that the HTC One sets the new standard for the best phone screen available. The S4's screen isnt even worth comparing because it is so bad. I personally use my speaker on my phones quite often, mostly for speaker phone or movies and music. Every portable device I have ever owned I always wished that the sound didnt sound so tinny and weak. The HTC one is AMAZING when it comes to sound. Not only is it loud but it is really clear. I love using the speakers and on top of that I never have my ringer on full volume simply because it is too loud. I have missed my ringer on my iPhone countless times, but the HTC One is so loud I can hear the ringer in the loudest of situations in normal daily life. Now to ergonomics...I can use the phone with one hand and it sits in my palm. I couldn't appreciate that detail until the S4 made me realize how important it was to have. Ergonomics on a phone matter more than most give it credit for. Last but not least, the design; the phone is simply the best designed phone I have ever seen. When the iPhone 1 came out it was beautiful and stunning. That's what I think of the HTC One and now I think the iPhone 5 seems like the iPhone old...Also the iPhone 5 is made of aluminum but mine scratched rather easily and chipped as well. I was even accused by Apple of dropping my phone because it was so scratched up. I put a case on it to prevent further scratching...who expects aluminum to scratch? Well not HTC because the One is made from aluminum and it doesn't scratch. Think macbook pro, macbook air type aluminum. All around this is the best phone I have put my hands on in ages and Apple is playing catch up to this device.

Android - This software isn't for everyone. Yes one of it's best qualities is that you can customize it to the way you want. But his is also one of its worst qualities. You can install lots of free apps that advertise bloat ware...that's a small example. It takes some time getting used to but those flaws are more of Google's problems rather than HTC.

Anyways, I never thought I would like a non Apple phone better than the iPhone, but the day has come. The HTC One is the best phone on the market. I am no programmer or hacker...I use my phone like the other 99% of the majority. For the majority of people this is the phone to get. You won't regret it.

5/14/2013 - Battery life on all three phones is roughly the same in my opinion. I use my phone to text, talk maybe 10-30 minutes a day, play an hour of video games, browse the web and listen to Spotify for a good hour at the gym everyday. In terms of real world purposes, none of these phones really give us what we want in terms of battery life. They can all get us through one day of normal usage but still won't get us through two full days with normal usage. So for all three phones you can use them everyday and will need to charge them every night.

After a few days of usage, I am still loving the One more and more. The iPhone 5 after a few days of use was already picking up scratches whereas the One doesn't even show a hint of picking up scratches. I always carry my phones in my left pocket with no other items and somehow my iPhone managed to get scratched.

And one more thing, after using Apple for a few years now, I have become used to having many choices of accessories to chose from with the iPhone. As for the HTC one, it's almost laughable at how little attention the device gets from third party vendors. So if you like having a stylish case or other weird accessories likes lens attachments, don't keep your hopes up if you switch to a non Apple device.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 8:19 AM PST

Sling Media Slingbox 350
Sling Media Slingbox 350
Price: $97.88
63 used & new from $72.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised and is simple to set up., November 5, 2012
I own the slingbox solo and have used it to stream mainly sporting events to my iPhone which has an unlimited data plan through AT&T. I also stream shows to my ipad when I am on vacation and have access to wifi and want to catch up on my DVR recorded shows. My Solo is 3 years old and hasnt had any problems so I figured I'd upgrade to the 350 to get better resolution. Set-up was a breeze after hooking up the Slingbox to my set top cable box. I logged onto my computer and launched the guide and within 5 minutes I was streaming TV to all of my devices. Being very tech, it is easy for me to say lots of electronics are easy to set up but knowing this I can say that 95% of you can easily set this slingbox up within minutes.

If you want to use this to stream TV to your ipad/iphone expect to pay for your apps separately. But luckily once you pay for the app you own it forever and can download the app to as many devices as you own.

Edit 01/30/2012 - I currently use Uverse internet and it was a breeze to setup with the hardware AT&T gave me. I just wanted to mention this as not all internet routers are as easy to use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9