Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Virginia, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Aristocrats
The Aristocrats
DVD ~ George Carlin
Offered by Shopcents
Price: $8.99
95 used & new from $0.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stand 10 minutes of it., May 22, 2015
This review is from: The Aristocrats (DVD)
The UN-funniest movie I've ever tried to watch. I just didn't get it--maybe it was the parents-raping-their-children part that tore it for me. That's the opposite of funny, regardless of context.

Letters from an Atheist Nation: Godless Voices of America in 1903
Letters from an Atheist Nation: Godless Voices of America in 1903

4.0 out of 5 stars That Old Time Irreligion, January 6, 2014
A somewhat repetitive but still amazing, and occasionally brilliant, collection. The historical notes and contemporary background are helpful, as are the print and Internet bibliographies.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
DVD ~ Logan Lerman
Price: $3.74
116 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie, perfect cast, August 30, 2013
I rented this movie not just because it stars Emma Watson (sigh! those were the days...), but also because I did the wallflower thing through junior and senior high school and beyond, and I wanted to see how well the movie captures the experience. It does, painfully well, and also a few other experiences that hit WAY too close to home. Once I'd seen Perks, of course, I had to buy the DVD. Turns out it's one of the few DVD presentations in which all the "Extra Features" are worth watching. Three thumbs up.

The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths
by Michael Shermer
Price: $20.97
108 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I brain, therefore I believe, October 27, 2011
Shermer shows that beliefs are just another form of guessing that our brains do... um... without thinking, you might say. And just like the junk in our basements and attics, once a belief is in there, it tends to stay, even in the face of evidence that it's useless or even hazardous. I didn't really get all his points on liberalism, conservatism and libertarianism, but I doubt those arguments will ever end.

The Sheldon Kennedy Story [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.0 Import - Australia ]
The Sheldon Kennedy Story [ NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.0 Import - Australia ]

4.0 out of 5 stars Story worth seeing, September 17, 2011
The fine performances in this film add depth and feeling to a drearily familiar, and all too frequent, story of child abuse. I'm not a masochist, but I wish the film had been longer. Sheldon Kennedy still appears on the air (or cables) to remind kids, and those who care for kids, that help is available.

I Know My First Name Is Steven (Tvm)
I Know My First Name Is Steven (Tvm)
DVD ~ Cindy Pickett
Price: $16.94
29 used & new from $13.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Wounding, but well worth watching, August 18, 2011
I second all the reviewers who praise the performances and the importance of this movie. It illustrates a typical abductor's methods of snatching, indoctrinating and abusing a child, and the after-effects on the victim, family and community. Despite some whiffs of Lorimar cheeziness, the movie rings true and--tragically--has since been borne out by other such incidents. However, I found IKMFNIS to be the opposite of "healing," as some have called it. Knowing how troubled Steven's life was after his escape and what ultimately happened to him renders the closing shot almost unbearably painful. Even so, though Steven's own children aren't portrayed in the movie, we know that he lived long enough to learn first-hand how much children mean to their parents.

A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father
A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father
by Augusten Burroughs
Price: $24.95
502 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hints at much worse than it tells, June 11, 2008
I knew this would be Augusten's life without the laughs, the part he couldn't face till he'd written five or six other books. I was almost afraid to read it, and I was duly outraged at the things that happened in his family. But the real chills were what he didn't tell. What was the "something terrible" in his father's hand at the foot of Augusten's bed? Has he really forgotten about the years at the farmhouse? Was burying that body really a dream, or not? What were his father's "games"? I find such things far more terrifying than a ream of Stephen King's splatter-prose, and more lasting in a literary sense. Still, I recognized the same author who brought so much humor out of bad situations in "Dry," "Possible Side Effects," "Magical Thinking," "Running With Scissors" and even the completely fictitious "Sellevision," who doesn't hesitate to show his own flaws as boldly as those of anyone else in the books. And as always, he recognizes that behind every sad story, there's usually another sad story.

Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse (Blue)
Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse (Blue)
6 used & new from $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, wrong software, February 2, 2008
My 1-year-old laptop lacked built-in Bluetooth (d'oh!) but this mouse works fine with a Zoom Bluetooth PC Card. I leave the card in the otherwise useless slot, and voila--no more fiddling with my dongle. HOWEVER--the CD supplied with the mouse contains Logitech's SetPoint software, which apparently only works with a keyboard/mouse combination. The program wouldn't even start up. I uninstalled it, and the mouse worked fine without it. All I needed to set up the connection was the utility for the Bluetooth card. I find that this mouse gives much smoother scrolling than the Microsoft wireless mouse I was using, which costs about the same and uses an annoying USB transceiver dongle that you have to remove and store under the mouse to turn the batteries off--after just a year, the mash-switch got wonky. But the V470 has a real, on-off switch and a push-button "connect" switch. No problem, no fumbling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2008 11:07 AM PDT

Mysterious Skin (Original Theatrical Director's Cut)
Mysterious Skin (Original Theatrical Director's Cut)
DVD ~ Brady Corbet
37 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense story, wonderful performances, May 15, 2006
I second the praise of earlier reviewers, so consider it reiterated here-but did anyone else mention the radical portrayal of a gay kid as the best player on the Little League team? And he didn't even "look" gay, like his flaming friend Eric.

This rendition of the man-boy sexual abuse theme highlights the differing (though both pathetic) responses of two different boys. It also distinguishes between two approaches of the male-on-male pedophile: the "grooming" and seduction of Neil versus the one-off (or maybe two, counting that Halloween) rape of Brian. Survivors of childhood abuse will recognize many elements of Brian's experiences: the fragmentary and peripheral recollections (e.g., blue porch light), the nose-bleeds and fainting years after the fact, the desperate preoccupation with improbable, fabricated "screen memories" like the UFO abduction, and the absence of resolution at the end of the film. Finally, let me add: (1) Survivors should not watch this film unless they are VERY stable. (2) Some viewers may find a few of the rent-boy sex scenes a bit repulsive. (3) The book and the movie complement each other very well. As always, more happens in the book than the film, including chapters from the viewpoints of characters other than Neil and Brian.

What Is Atheism?
What Is Atheism?
by Douglas E. Krueger
Price: $21.99
70 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best intro to "atheism" that I've ever read, September 2, 2003
This review is from: What Is Atheism? (Paperback)
This book is a plain-speaking summary, in question-and-answer format, of many common issues and ideas that are often collectively subsumed under the labels "atheism" and agnosticism. The author demonstrates that "atheism" is not the absence of anything; it's a positive world view. The book would make a great discussion-starter for skeptical young adults and also for us religion-free older folks looking for better ways to express our beliefs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4